PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Zambrano as an option?

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Zambrano just signed with the Long Island Ducks, why not give him a shot?

KSaw
05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
He's insane. Good enough reason?

Here's an idea... Dear, Ben Sheets-- you looked pretty good with Atlanta at the end of last season. Why retire after working so hard to comeback? You still don't have a ring. Here's $11 million. Please come to Toronto.

fatcowxlive
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
He's insane. Good enough reason?

Here's an idea... Dear, Ben Sheets-- you looked pretty good with Atlanta at the end of last season. Why retire after working so hard to comeback? You still don't have a ring. Here's $11 million. Please come to Toronto.

11 million? For Sheets?

How about less for Mosley or Vasquez?

KSaw
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Mosley out for the year, no?

fatcowxlive
05-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Mosley out for the year, no?

He had shoulder surgery over a year ago, shouldn't he be ready

KSaw
05-09-2013, 11:08 AM
He had shoulder surgery over a year ago, shouldn't he be ready

Torn Labrum. He's still not ready. Maybe later in the year. Maybe next year. Maybe never.

fatcowxlive
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Torn Labrum. He's still not ready. Maybe later in the year. Maybe next year. Maybe never.

Dammit. Maybe Roy Oswa..... never mind lol

Kip Wells is still FA? Randy Wolf? Carl Pavano?

fatcowxlive
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Oswalt was clearly the guy, I've peeved AA wasn't interested.

I'm down to get Big Z, he had his moments last year. Maybe he can channel something for a couple starts. But AA hates bad clubhouse guys.

How much do you want to bet Dave Bush makes Friday start?

SirBJay
05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
But AA hates bad clubhouse guys.

Exactly this.

I'd be down to take a flyer on Javier Vazquez though, since Oswalt isn't an option. However to fatcow, HELL NO on Pavano, they guy just isn't good. Can you imagine his atrocious HR rates playing full time at the Rogers Centre?

fatcowxlive
05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Nah, I think it'll be someone else.

Also, Brad Penny's still out there!

Uhhhhh No thanks, I'd rather take my chance with Bush lol

KSaw
05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Dallas Braden should be back soon, I wonder if he's ready.

Braden half joked on his Twitter about a baseball comeback the other day. He also made a crack about becoming a submarine pitcher. He has not been really training but he did throw 1 inning in Texas in January in an alumni game.

Dallas will probably start out in independent ball if he decides to pitch. I wouldn't expect to see him in the Majors this year.

KSaw
05-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Wolf out for the season.

GD
05-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Jake Arrieta plz

fatcowxlive
05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Wolf out for the season.

Oh man. Not many options left

eastcoastjaysfan
05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I would 100% sign Zambrano. Desperate times call for desperate measures. He's on the shortest leash possible though.

dineke
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Sign Big Z for the bench. he's a better hitter than Bonifalicio.

GD
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Oh man. Not many options left

Plenty of options left imo. Arrieta, Norris, Vazquez, Braden, Slowey, Feldman, Sanchez, Kendrick are all guys that we could probably get to make a start or two.

GD
05-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Sign Big Z for the bench. he's a better hitter than Bonifalicio.

Carlos Zambrano 2011 wRC+ - 131
Carlos Zambrano Career wRC+ - 57

Emilio Bonifacio 2012 wRC+ - 24

Metallijay
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Plenty of options left imo. Arrieta, Norris, Vazquez, Braden, Slowey, Feldman, Sanchez, Kendrick are all guys that we could probably get to make a start or two.

Bad sign when your scraping this low in the barrell. Too bad the minors don't have anyone who could be a good replacement. I thought depth was our strength, seems this team lacks depth in many areas.

GD
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Bad sign when your scraping this low in the barrell. Too bad the minors don't have anyone who could be a good replacement. I thought depth was our strength, seems this team lacks depth in many areas.

If you thought depth was our strength you were greatly mistaken lol. Not many of those guys are really bottom of the barrel, though.

Metallijay
05-09-2013, 12:30 PM
If you thought depth was our strength you were greatly mistaken lol. Not many of those guys are really bottom of the barrel, though.

What I meant by that was AA and the team was touting this teams depth, depth is a major concern with any team, not many options in the minors or anywhere with just a few injuries, seems to be a major oversight by the org. Good teams have depth, this team does not.

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 12:45 PM
What I meant by that was AA and the team was touting this teams depth, depth is a major concern with any team, not many options in the minors or anywhere with just a few injuries, seems to be a major oversight by the org. Good teams have depth, this team does not.

Show me a team with good veteran depth in AAA. And the same names you're discounting are right on par with the names you'll be seeing on virtually every other team.

Metallijay
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Show me a team with good veteran depth in AAA. And the same names you're discounting are right on par with the names you'll be seeing on virtually every other team.

I said depth, I didn't say anything about veteran depth in AAA.

Chappy
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I would be down for Zambrano at this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures and we need a guy who might at least have a chance of success rather than running guys out there we almost are certain will fail.

GD
05-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I would be down for Zambrano at this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures and we need a guy who might at least have a chance of success rather than running guys out there we almost are certain will fail.

There are much better options than Big Z that are easily obtainable.

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 04:56 PM

The problem is you have to find a trade partner out there with something they want.

eastcoastjaysfan
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Examples please.

This team cannot afford to give up anymore prospects, even if they are only mid-tier. Zambrano is a boom-or-bust type of move but if he sticks it'd be a tremendous boost.

He's obviously desperate to play again. Maybe the lack of interest in the offseason is a wake up call for ihm.

Metallijay
05-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Examples please.

This team cannot afford to give up anymore prospects, even if they are only mid-tier. Zambrano is a boom-or-bust type of move but if he sticks it'd be a tremendous boost.

He's obviously desperate to play again. Maybe the lack of interest in the offseason is a wake up call for ihm.

Zambrano might kill ourplayers when they sleep, dude is batshit crazy. Worth the risk?

GD
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Examples please.

Jake Arrieta
Javier Vazquez
Bud Norris
Dallas Braden
Kevin Slowey
Scott Feldman
Ricky Nolasco
Jonathan Sanchez
Carlos Zambrano
Ben Sheets
Carl Pavano

That's a list of players I've been keeping tabs on as replacements. If you don't want to make a trade, I see your point, though. I really want Arrieta because he wouldn't be expensive and he's a potential long term option. Even if our SPs recover and he's forced to pitch out of the pen, he's got great stuff, he'd be a great reliever.

eastcoastjaysfan
05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Jake Arrieta
Javier Vazquez
Bud Norris
Dallas Braden
Kevin Slowey
Scott Feldman
Ricky Nolasco
Jonathan Sanchez
Carlos Zambrano
Ben Sheets
Carl Pavano

That's a list of players I've been keeping tabs on as replacements. If you don't want to make a trade, I see your point, though. I really want Arrieta because he wouldn't be expensive and he's a potential long term option. Even if our SPs recover and he's forced to pitch out of the pen, he's got great stuff, he'd be a great reliever.

Thanks for the list.

Of the FA's, who is healthy and ready to go?

eastcoastjaysfan
05-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Nolasco is intriguing if it is a straight salary dump... but someone will give up prospects for him at the deadline.

LGBJ29
05-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Imagine a Lawrie vs Zambrano fight. 2 hot-heads just unleash on each other

over500
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Bring back Bobby Tallet

over500
05-09-2013, 05:09 PM
edit

GD
05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the list.

Of the FA's, who is healthy and ready to go?

I think Javvy might be. Maybe Braden. 100% sure Sanchez is. Not sure on Big Z. Pavano probably is.

Nolasco is intriguing if it is a straight salary dump... but someone will give up prospects for him at the deadline.

He's actually been pretty good past few years.

GD
05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Also:

Chris Young
Kip Wells
Livan Hernandez
Kevin Millwood
Brad Penny
Randy Wolf

I believe these guys are all fairly ready and better than Ramon Ortiz.

Young and Millwood are both really nice options, yeah, thought Young was on WAS still. Guess he got cut.

Wolf is out for the year, TJS, no?

GD
05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Ah, you're right on Wolf. Also, Randy Wells retired last month and wasn't terrible in AAA. He's had some MLB success, I'd rather him than Ortiz.

If we're just picking guys that are better than Ortiz, I'd assume there are literally 1000s of options. I'm going for quality, lol. Steve Johnson on the O's is stuck in AAA. Speaking of "O's" and "AAA..."

#FreeJakeArrieta

LGBJ29
05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Carlos Zambrano. Why dont we give Kelvim Escobar a call while were at it

Chappy
05-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Sure, if AA goes the trade route. Going for Zambrano though will only cost salary and probably not much at that.

GD
05-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Sure, if AA goes the trade route. Going for Zambrano though will only cost salary and probably not much at that.

If none of the other options are healthy I'd support it. Still, though, Arrieta.

I wonder if Texas would be willing to give Feliz, and for what.

Chappy
05-09-2013, 05:47 PM
If none of the other options are healthy I'd support it. Still, though, Arrieta.

I would be ok with Arrieta, but it really depends on what the cost is.

jays_fever
05-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Just stretch out Brad Lincon. Cecil is also an option but he looks like he has a good career ahead for him at the back end of a pen.

Chappy
05-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Just stretch out Brad Lincon. Cecil is also an option but he looks like he has a good career ahead for him at the back end of a pen.

This is probably the most sensible route.

Chappy
05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Come to think of it, could probably do a game with Lincoln starting and piggy back Loup for another 2-3 innings until Lincoln is fully stretched out.

GD
05-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I would be ok with Arrieta, but it really depends on what the cost is.

I don't see why it would be much. The O's are a decent org, and I love their mental health initiative (Arrieta deals with anxiety btw) but they don't seem like the kinda org to look past ERA. I'd be okay giving a guy like Dean.

Come to think of it, could probably do a game with Lincoln starting and piggy back Loup for another 2-3 innings until Lincoln is fully stretched out.

I like this idea. I also like the idea of Loup being stretched out, though.

LGBJ29
05-09-2013, 06:05 PM

agreed, in either case it would be an upgrade over Ortiz

jays_fever
05-09-2013, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=GordieDougie;8606]I don't see why it would be much. The O's are a decent org, and I love their mental health initiative (Arrieta deals with anxiety btw) but they don't seem like the kinda org to look past ERA. I'd be okay giving a guy like Dean.

I like this idea. I also like the idea of Loup being stretched out, though.[/QUOTE

Only problem with Loup is that you dont want a key member of your pen flip flopping and messing up his routine to much, or at least thats my opinion.

GD
05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Only problem with Loup is that you dont want a key member of your pen flip flopping and messing up his routine to much, or at least thats my opinion.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from on that.

I see some similarities between Loup and Texas' Robbie Ross.

jays_fever
05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
agreed, in either case it would be an upgrade over Ortiz

Anything is an upgrade over Ortiz, the inability to go out and get depth in the organization is absurd. We only have two injuries to the rotation and the fact that we're scrambling this much is pretty pathetic. Especially after all the injuries we have had to our SP the past few years, you would think AA and CO would be better prepared. Similar guys to MIllwood, Oswalt, Blanton should have all been on this roster for peanuts.

JaysAllMighty
05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I doubt they will sink more money for FA, specially after the disastrous start.

GD
05-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Blanton should have all been on this roster for peanuts.

.... Yeah, uh, I don't really think I want Blanton all that much more than Ortiz, really.

Abomination
05-09-2013, 06:11 PM

I think Feliz is out until August.

jays_fever
05-09-2013, 06:13 PM
.... Yeah, uh, I don't really think I want Blanton all that much more than Ortiz, really.

Look at his player card, he goes out and gives you 6 innings of 3-4 run ball regularly and will occasionally only go 5. He hasnt pitched to his capabilities this year, but he keeps you in ball games

GD
05-09-2013, 06:17 PM
I think Feliz is out until August.

That sucks, I've always liked him.

Look at his player card, he goes out and gives you 6 innings of 3-4 run ball regularly and will occasionally only go 5. He hasnt pitched to his capabilities this year, but he keeps you in ball games

What? He's been complete shit in a home run suppressing park. Him in RC is horrifying to imagine.

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from on that.

I see some similarities between Loup and Texas' Robbie Ross.

Ross is easily better and has a history of starting in pro' ball.

GD
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Ross is easily better and has a history of starting in pro' ball.

Easily? Debatable. They're both lefties who don't have overpowering stuff, but still manage to get guys out.

I brought up Ross because I figure if Ross can start, so can Loup. He started some A games and I THINK he was a starter in college.

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Easily? Debatable. They're both lefties who don't have overpowering stuff, but still manage to get guys out.

I brought up Ross because I figure if Ross can start, so can Loup. He started some A games and I THINK he was a starter in college.

Ross has been better in their brief MLB careers, is a year and a half younger, has a much better track record in the minors, and I'm sure could hold his own to start if called upon, unlike Loup who's started what 5 Pro' games?

OT: what was your screen name before GordieDougie?

jays_fever
05-09-2013, 06:26 PM
That sucks, I've always liked him.

What? He's been complete shit in a home run suppressing park. Him in RC is horrifying to imagine.

Hes been pretty bad, but at least he will pitch into the 6th inning, which is better than the crap we have gotten from our array of gas cans the past two years. Ive really lowered my standards for back end pitchers recently

GD
05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Ross has been better in their brief MLB careers, is a year and a half younger, has a much better track record in the minors, and I'm sure could hold his own to start if called upon, unlike Loup who's started what 5 Pro' games?

OT: what was your screen name before GordieDougie?

Ross hasn't really been better. The ERA makes it looks like he has been, though.

I signed up as GordieDougie. Then I got banned, went to DougieGordie, then NotGordieDougie. Now on this forum I'm back as GordieDougie.

Hes been pretty bad, but at least he will pitch into the 6th inning, which is better than the crap we have gotten from our array of gas cans the past two years. Ive really lowered my standards for back end pitchers recently

He's really not better than any of our pitchers.

jays_fever
05-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Hes definitely better than guys like Aaron Lafey and Ortiz,

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Ross hasn't really been better. The ERA makes it looks like he has been, though.

I'll take Ross who's 1.5 yrs younger and CAN start, over an older kid who's stuck in the 'pen.

GD
05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
I'll take Ross who's 1.5 yrs younger and CAN start, over an older kid who's stuck in the 'pen.

Yeah, if we're taking age/versatility into account on who you'd take, I concur, but I'm talking about comparing the two and who's performed better.

GeorgiaPeach
05-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Jake Arrieta
Javier Vazquez
Bud Norris
Dallas Braden
Kevin Slowey
Scott Feldman
Ricky Nolasco
Jonathan Sanchez
Carlos Zambrano
Ben Sheets
Carl Pavano

Jays should deal Rasmus to the Marlins for Ricky Nolasco & Jose Urena. And then promote Gose to play CF for the long haul.

The Jays address their current rotation instability issue with Nolasco.
We instantly get better defence and base running, and arguably better at the plate.

The Marlins save millions in the ROS money owed to Nolasco and Rasmus.

And the Jays get a nice upside arm for the farm.

GD
05-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Jays should deal Rasmus to the Marlins for Ricky Nolasco & Jose Urena. And then promote Gose to play CF for the long haul.

The Jays address their current rotation instability issue with Nolasco.
We instantly get better defence and base running, and arguably better at the plate.

The Marlins save millions in the ROS money owed to Nolasco and Rasmus.

And the Jays get a nice upside arm for the farm.

Rasmus for Nolasco and Urena probably isn't the best deal we can find, I think there's a real nice deal to be found with the Padres or Mariners.

GD
05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/05/phillies-will-look-at-zambrano-not-close-to-signing.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The Cats Ass
05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Carlos Zambrano is now signed with the Phillies. We could of had him.

KSaw
05-16-2013, 01:53 PM

It's been suggested for weeks that the Phillies had been in talks with him. He may have even gone to Long Island at their request. I'm not sure that he was ever an option.

KSaw
05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Ironically Zambrano wasn't the most scouted player with Long Island. It wasn't Dontrelle Willis or Ian Snell either. Scouts had been watching the once upon a time highly touted Josh Barfield. He's 30 and was supposedly doing many things right and was drawing considerable attention and getting, "Back in the Majors," buzz. Then came a hamstring injury just a few days ago.

I don't know if Toronto was one of the teams scouting him or not but considering the size of the scouting staff, I'd guess yes.

Slade
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Zambrano is fucking insane, he should never be the answer to anyone's problems.

GD
05-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Ironically Zambrano wasn't the most scouted player with Long Island. It wasn't Dontrelle Willis or Ian Snell either. Scouts had been watching the once upon a time highly touted Josh Barfield. He's 30 and was supposedly doing many things right and was drawing considerable attention and getting, "Back in the Majors," buzz. Then came a hamstring injury just a few days ago.

I don't know if Toronto was one of the teams scouting him or not but considering the size of the scouting staff, I'd guess yes.

Josh Barfield? Wasn't he a second baseman in, what, the O's or Indians or whatever's org?

KSaw
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
He was a top Padres prospect and had a big rookie season. He was then traded to Cleveland and did next to nothing for 3 years. He never made it back to the Major Leagues.

GD
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
His 2006 really wasn't that big.

KSaw
05-16-2013, 06:56 PM
His 2006 really wasn't that big.

A rookie second baseman hits .280, with 32 doubles, 3 triples, 13 HR, steals 21 bases and does it with PETCO being his home park, back when the park was new and had silly dimensions-- a rookie, and it's not a big year? Baseball Reference had him as a 3.0 WAR player that year.

KSaw
05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Good call....to bad we missed out, even if he is batshit crazy....:p

He is batshit crazy. I'd bet that he does at least 2 years in prison for something at some point.

GD
05-16-2013, 07:25 PM
A rookie second baseman hits .280, with 32 doubles, 3 triples, 13 HR, steals 21 bases and does it with PETCO being his home park, back when the park was new and had silly dimensions-- a rookie, and it's not a big year? Baseball Reference had him as a 3.0 WAR player that year.

3.0 WAR isn't a "big" rookie season, it's impressive, but if the average player hovers around 2.0...

Fangraphs had him at 2.4 fWAR and 93 (!) wRC+. A 93 wRC+ season is not a big one.