PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread: May 10, 2013. Toronto 0 - 5 Red Sox

fatcowxlive
05-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Ortiz didn't get shelled, but our BP did. The bats were no where to be seen and helped Lester almost throw a complete game (ended up being a 1 hitter). This was very ugly, not much more to say here. Oh and sorry about the delay!

Scoring Plays:

Bottom of the 2nd:
Red Sox score (Jays trail 1-0): Will Middlebrooks grounds into an error committed by Izturis, Daniel Nava scores from 3B on the play (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26994701&c_id=mlb)

Bottom of the 7th:
Red Sox score (Jays trail 2-0): Dustin Pedrioa singles to right field, Ellesbury scores, Victorino stopped at 3B (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=27000529&c_id=mlb)
Red Sox score (Jays trail 4-0): Daniel Nava hits his 7th double off of the green monster plaiting in Victorino and Pedrioa (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=27001253&c_id=mlb)
Red Sox score (Jays trail 5-0): Jarrold Salty hits his 9th double of the season, Daniel Nava scores (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=27001413&c_id=mlb)

Other Highlights:
Rasmus saves a run for Ortiz with a beautiful diving play! (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26996711&c_id=mlb)

Box Scores:
http://i.imgur.com/4oMGNg6.png
http://i.imgur.com/S7ayAJG.png

o2cui2i
05-10-2013, 10:50 PM
no offense, nothing new...

ElNik2013
05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I expect the Red Sox to sweep thus ending the Jays' season on May 12th. Rogers' shills have given the Red Sox extra motivation with their silly accusations. I even think Blue Jays players and managers were embarrassed by the whole incident.

ElNik2013
05-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm more excited about following the minor league system even if they traded away so many of their top prospects

GD
05-10-2013, 10:58 PM
If we're still looking for pitching, does anyone else think the Padres would deal Andrew Cashner?

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 10:59 PM
If we're still looking for pitching, does anyone else think the Padres would deal Andrew Cashner?

What do you think the cost would be?

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Just want to pat myself on the back again for this pre game post before we start.

6 innings of 4 hit ball coming up for Ortiz.

maybe 5 innings

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
This is the first I hear of Hanson/Boni rumours. That would have been awesome.

Re: Davis. It can't hurt to start looking for his replacement. He's a pretty good 4th OF, and has no contract for next year. With something of a payroll crunch coming, we can probably fill the spot for cheaper than the likely ~2/6 deal he'll command.

It's partially speculation on my part but right after they talked to the Jays about Bonifacio they dealt Hanson for a reliever so it would make sense. It was a starter that was rumoured.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Not yet, it wasn't too long ago that they gave up Anthony Rizzo for him. Would take too much right now.

What do you think it'd take?

What do you think the cost would be?

I have 0 clue lol.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:03 PM
It's partially speculation on my part but right after they talked to the Jays about Bonifacio they dealt Hanson for a reliever so it would make sense. It was a starter that was rumoured.

Bonifacio for Tommy Hanson? That actually would've been awesome. I vaguely remember hearing Boni/Gilmartin which would've been awesome as well. Granted, Hanson's kinda sucked.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I'd do Gose for Cashner straight up. San Diego wouldn't.

Angrioter
1st draft pick here we go

GD

He's been injured plagued, no? I see why you'd do that but I'm high on Gose.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm more intrigued to know what Rasmus value would be right now.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
He's been injured plagued, no? I see why you'd do that but I'm high on Gose.

I'm high on Gose too.. it's mainly just desperation and booze talking.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm more intrigued to know what Rasmus value would be right now.

Probably not all that much if you're dealing with a smart team.

I wonder if we could get Franklin or Paxton or someone from the M's?

GD
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM
I think that would be a pretty bad deal for us.

Ah, BTS, what do you think it's take? D.J. Davis?

I'm high on Gose too.. it's mainly just desperation and booze talking.

Lol, that's not a good mix.

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM

Doesn't Cashner have injury issues?

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I think that would be a pretty bad deal for us.

I'm grasping straws here BTS, we've already fucked the future badly enough. Whats a little backdoor action sans lube gonna do now.

GD

Very much so. Most he's pitched is like 30 IP lol.

Arkadium
I refuse to thank you for this one

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Thank fucking god I can watch my Niners in four months time.

Nox
05-10-2013, 11:12 PM

Well, he is a pitcher...

GD
05-10-2013, 11:13 PM
I have no idea. He's one of those guys that you never really know how he's valued by his team. I'm not very high on Cashner though. In the AL he's a back-end starter with big-time injury risk.

I say a risk for a risk. Alford for Cashner, if they'd take that.

Jordan Lyles could be another youngin that could help out.

dineke

Canadian boners up!

GD
Canadian boners up!

Lol, it'd be nice if we had signed him.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:14 PM
If we're getting a SD starter lets go big and get Eric Stults. Now that's someone I can root for.

You like the worst guys.

I've always liked Corey Luebke.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:16 PM
You like the worst guys.

I've always liked Corey Luebke.

Whats Mike Leake doing these days?

o2cui2i
05-10-2013, 11:16 PM
other thread closed

it would be ok the have a lesser option at SS if anyone could play second. so they have 4 players getting starts in the middle infield and none of them should be. at least DeRosa understands his role.

Izturis just CANT throw. he's costing us runs pretty much every game and not giving them much offensively. Boni is a piece of crap.... jays have the worst middle infield in baseball. even with Reyes back it's gonna be really bad. Reyes has good range, solid glove and great arm, but he cant play enough to make up for the teams lack of second base option.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Nice option, actually. He'll probably be pushed out of the rotation once Cueto gets back, due to Cingrani's amazing start.

Nox
05-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Clipping Aroldis' toe nails. Or something.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:18 PM

I've been scouring the past trades to see what has happened in the past. There aren't many that are similar. I'll keep looking. it would almost take a perfect situation like SF losing Pagan for the season or Detroit losing AJax.

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Well, he is a pitcher...

I guess so... but I always think hard throwing guys with injury histories are going to blow up at anytime... like Josh Johnson.

Metallijay
05-10-2013, 11:19 PM
look at those team batting averages, when Rajai davis is your leading hitter...you got problems.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:20 PM
They'd never take Alford he's a in club problem as a two sport player, this guy redshirt and has no care about the Birds bonus cash and has ran.............

I've been scouring the past trades to see what has happened in the past. There aren't many that are similar. I'll keep looking. it would almost take a perfect situation like SF losing Pagan for the season or Detroit losing AJax.

Rasmus isn't exactly your boring David DeJesus or Cliff Pennington.

A lot of M's fans friends would love the guy, though, and I know one that would gladly give up Miller + Paxton, which I would do in a heartbeat.

Nox

This is what the season has come to. Rooting for specific injuries to open up a trade opp for us.

How's the Rays fan club coming?

Metallijay
I expect the Red Sox to sweep thus ending the Jays' season on May 12th. Rogers' shills have given the Red Sox extra motivation with their silly accusations. I even think Blue Jays players and managers were embarrassed by the whole incident.
Definitely possible.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I might not know advanced metrics like most of you guys, but can anyone tell me how it is beneficial to sit Kawasaki against lefties? From my layman perspective has ability to suck pitches is far more valuable then Maicers ability to flail about the strikezone. Granted he has had a few clutch hits lately, he's still a cunt.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Clipping Aroldis' toe nails. Or something.

did he keep the toenails? Rogers has the ability to clone

o2cui2i
05-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I might not know advanced metrics like most of you guys, but can anyone tell me how it is beneficial to sit Kawasaki against lefties? From my layman perspective has ability to suck pitches is far more valuable then Maicers ability to flail about the strikezone. Granted he has had a few clutch hits lately, he's still a cunt.

maybe AA has promised inning to the mouse to go with his promises to Blanco and DeRosa.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:26 PM
If we got him for like Kyle Drabek or something I'd be pretty stoked to have him. That's probably not very rational on my part though.

Kyle Drabek > dime a dozen bag of crap Eric Stults

I would do Sierra for Stults, though, now that you mention it.

Metallijay
05-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Look at them numbers against LHP.............yeah they have problems. He's a loss more then you'd like to admit.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=3708&position=OF&season=2013

He's good against lefties so far, still, the averages on this team are terrible.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Let's be honest here: they're both dime a dozen bags of crap. I'd probably rather have the arm that's healthy and can throw the ball in the strike zone.

Kyle Drabek's stuff most certainly isn't dime a dozen.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:31 PM
His control, on the other hand, screams penny row prostitute.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:32 PM
His control, on the other hand, screams penny row prostitute.

That's fairly generous of you.

Side notes... I'm keeping track of pretty much every name that's been mentioned in a trade here, SPs, RPs, OFs, everything, nice little reference point. Also, when the FUCK is Hutch back?

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Apparently he had a nasty curveball but I don't remember him throwing it.

Nox
05-10-2013, 11:35 PM
did he keep the toenails? Rogers has the ability to clone

Yah, we could use a 2nd closer!!!

1 righty, 1 lefty, 1 blackey, 1 whitey

That's championship balance!!

GD
05-10-2013, 11:35 PM
You can say the same about any number of replacement-level arms in the game. He's 25, has had two TJ surgeries, and has absolutely no command. At this point he'll be lucky to have a career as a middle reliever.

There aren't many replacement level arms that have Drabek's stuff, and Stults isn't one of them.

Apparently he had a nasty curveball but I don't remember him throwing it.

Really? I remember it very well. His first MLB K was on it, no? Beauty 12-6er, started high and dropped off the face of the earth, buckled some O's scrub.

Dylan
05-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Looks like I chose 2 good game to miss :(

Nox
05-10-2013, 11:39 PM
You can say the same about any number of replacement-level arms in the game. He's 25, has had two TJ surgeries, and has absolutely no command. At this point he'll be lucky to have a career as a middle reliever.

For all his supposed STUFF, he never punched out a guy per inning in the minors. That basically precludes him from being a top line starter in the MLB. Even if he didn't walk twice more than he should. Honestly, his 2010 season in AA wasn't good. No idea how he was ranked as high as he was in prospect rankings.

ERA and WINZ...fuck me.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Sure there are. Drabek will end up just another in a long list of guys who failed despite good stuff.

Yet another Todd Van Poppel

GD
05-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Sure there are. Drabek will end up just another in a long list of guys who failed despite good stuff.

I'll bet you $20 that Drabek's peak, measured by fWAR, is higher than Stults'. This is obviously a multi-year bet but I'm in if you are.

For all his supposed STUFF, he never punched out a guy per inning in the minors. That basically precludes him from being a top line starter in the MLB. Even if he didn't walk twice more than he should. Honestly, his 2010 season in AA wasn't good. No idea how he was ranked as high as he was in prospect rankings.

ERA and WINZ...fuck me.

He shouldn't have been rated as high as he was but imo I figured he'd be a good #3 or so.

Dylan
05-10-2013, 11:41 PM
13-24? So have we offically ruled out playoffs or as jays fans are we still hoping?

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:42 PM
There aren't many replacement level arms that have Drabek's stuff, and Stults isn't one of them.

Really? I remember it very well. His first MLB K was on it, no? Beauty 12-6er, started high and dropped off the face of the earth, buckled some O's scrub.

Ok apparently he did use it... 9.8% in 2012, but you would think he would use it more if it's his best pitch.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Ok apparently he did use it... 9.8% in 2012, but you would think he would use it more if it's his best pitch.

He really, really should have. I really liked his curve.

Nox
05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
He shouldn't have been rated as high as he was but imo I figured he'd be a good #3 or so.

I remember thinking similarly too. But the odds of being a good #3 with that demonstrated lack of ability to miss bats in the minors is pretty damn low.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
He really, really should have. I really liked his curve.

Confidence is the killer. If he doesn't think he can command, he isn't gonna throw it. Regardless of potency. As my father would say million dollar arm, ten cent mind.

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:45 PM
I wonder if Drabek will even start when he comes back... after two TJS they might just put him in the BP.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:45 PM
I remember thinking similarly too. But the odds of being a good #3 with that demonstrated lack of ability to miss bats in the minors is pretty damn low.

To be fair, he did strike out 10.8/9 in 2009 at A+.

Confidence is the killer. If he doesn't think he can command, he isn't gonna throw it. Regardless of potency. As my father would say million dollar arm, ten cent mind.

Yet he threw his cutter?

GD
05-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Yeah. I don't even know why there was so much hype. A 22 year-old RHP with mid-90s heat, poor command, and 7.33 K/9 + 3.68 BB/9 in AA isn't exactly a rare commodity.

You see my post proposing the bet?

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:46 PM

All the scouts probably fell in love with his curve that be barely threw in the majors.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Yet he threw his cutter?

Maybe it was a comfortable pitch for him to toss?

GD
I don;t think he has much of a chance of ever matching the 1.1 fWAR Stults put up last year. If you want to send me a $20 when Drabek is out of baseball I won't turn you down though ;)

You accept? I'm confident in this one, lol. $20 isn't that bad and I assume you won't welch if I win, and I'm fairly trustworthy, I guess. :p

GD
Maybe it was a comfortable pitch for him to toss?

Maybe, but IIRC it was pretty horrible.

Nox
05-10-2013, 11:49 PM

That's not fair at all. That's a 60 inning sample. That same year he only K'd 7.1/9 in AA.

He was just never that good. Scouts are retarded lol.

Chappy
05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
13-24? So have we offically ruled out playoffs or as jays fans are we still hoping?

The team is toast. No way they make the post season now. With the state of the pitching, they have no chance of going on any type of prolonged run. AA might as well just wait it out and start dealing off pieces when teams start getting desperate. Pretty much everyone should be on the block and he needs to see what he can unload.

OtisNixonFan
05-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Maybe, but IIRC it was pretty horrible.

Fucking terrible. Deep fried beachball

o2cui2i
05-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah sure. Its win-win for you, because there's no chance I remember this when the time comes to pay up.

put it in the wagers thread to keep it on record. lol

dineke
05-10-2013, 11:52 PM
The team is toast. No way they make the post season now. With the state of the pitching, they have no chance of going on any type of prolonged run. AA might as well just wait it out and start dealing off pieces when teams start getting desperate. Pretty much everyone should be on the block and he needs to see what he can unload.

They should trade Bautista before he turns into a pumpkin in the next few years but AA's probably too afraid of the backlash to do that.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM
That's not fair at all. That's a 60 inning sample. That same year he only K'd 7.1/9 in AA.

He was just never that good. Scouts are retarded lol.

Yeah, it's not a big sample. It was something, I guess.

Yeah sure. Its win-win for you, because there's no chance I remember this when the time comes to pay up.

Done. I eagerly await my $20.

Chappy
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I wonder if Drabek will even start when he comes back... after two TJS they might just put him in the BP.

I always figured he would end up in the pen, but the way this season is going, I expect AA to deal off JJ at the deadline and if some other SP go down, Drabek may very well be tried as a starter again in the minors with hopes of him competing for a job in 2014.

GD
05-10-2013, 11:54 PM
put it in the wagers thread to keep it on record. lol

I'm setting myself an google calendar remind for every November for the next 10 years, lol.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Let's be honest here: they're both dime a dozen bags of crap. I'd probably rather have the arm that's healthy and can throw the ball in the strike zone.

I'll give you Stults for your last pick in the DDL

GD
05-10-2013, 11:57 PM
I trust you'll do the right thing and pay my future children in the event I die before Drabek retires?

I assume you'll be assassinated by Dogg much before Drabek retires, so yes, I'll pay your future hypothetical children.

admin
05-11-2013, 12:01 AM
This is depressing. We're virtually out of the playoffs not even 1/4 into the season. How is that even possible.

People now see why some of us didn't like those trades. We created a small window for ourselves, and shit seasons like this happen,
they make that window even smaller.

We'd have to go 77-48 to win 90 games.
Something like a 8-1 stretch would make a difference, but with guys like Buehrle, and whoever else we put in, it'll never happen.
Dickey is on pace to double his walk totals from last year. How does this happen.

OtisNixonFan
05-11-2013, 12:04 AM
This is depressing. We're virtually out of the playoffs not even 1/4 into the season. How is that even possible.

People now see why some of us didn't like those trades. We created a small window for ourselves, and shit seasons like this happen,
they make that window even smaller.

A firesale could posibly provide some interesting results.

Chappy
05-11-2013, 12:04 AM
This season has been an epic fail. AA has to figure out a way to rid this team of some payroll or this team is utterly screwed for the next few years and he will not be here for the next run.

TheHurl
05-11-2013, 12:06 AM
BTS...wager thread here

http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/threads/65-Official-Board-Wagers-Thread?highlight=wagers

admin
05-11-2013, 12:09 AM

A fire sale to go back to where we were a year ago lol.

OtisNixonFan
05-11-2013, 12:10 AM

At this point, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Chappy
05-11-2013, 12:12 AM

It's possible. If JJ comes back in June and has a few good starts, AA should be able to move him quite easily. He should also look to try and somehow rid us of Buehrle's contract. If that means eating a portion then so be it. Some other smaller pieces like Davis, Boni, Lind, Oliver, etc should all be moved as well.

I doubt they will rebuild, but if he can at least free some payroll and try and get something for those who will be walking, then go for it and retool in the winter.

dineke
05-11-2013, 12:15 AM

Except this time stuck with mark fucking buerhle.

admin
05-11-2013, 12:24 AM
It's possible. If JJ comes back in June and has a few good starts, AA should be able to move him quite easily. He should also look to try and somehow rid us of Buehrle's contract. If that means eating a portion then so be it. Some other smaller pieces like Davis, Boni, Lind, Oliver, etc should all be moved as well.

I doubt they will rebuild, but if he can at least free some payroll and try and get something for those who will be walking, then go for it and retool in the winter.

Probably eat half Buehrle's contract. Send him back to the WhiteSox with Floyd gone.

Chappy
05-11-2013, 12:26 AM
A firesale isn't happening............they've went all in for 3 years. There will be moves but to think they's sell out is a dream.

All I really want to see is AA deal off JJ for a relevant prospect or two, somehow trick another GM into taking Buehrle and his contract off our hands, and then deal off smaller pieces like Oliver, Lind, Boni, Davis, etc.

All of that is possible except for Buehrle obviously, but if he can either eat some of that contract, or package another player, then he just might have too. If he can achieve this then this team may be primed for a real run next season with some extra cash to spend in the winter.

Chappy
05-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Probably eat half Buehrle's contract. Send him back to the WhiteSox with Floyd gone.

He could probably find a trade partner in the NL as well. It won't be easy, but someone will probably be willing to take a chance. Half of Buehrle's contract isn't so bad at this point I guess.

admin
05-11-2013, 12:32 AM
He could probably find a trade partner in the NL as well. It won't be easy, but someone will probably be willing to take a chance. Half of Buehrle's contract isn't so bad at this point I guess.

Between him and JJ that would be $23M off the books next year.
Close enough to cover Cano's five year deal with us.

Chappy
05-11-2013, 12:37 AM

Well, JJ is a FA, so his payroll won't count, but even cutting $10M for Buehrle will be pretty significant. Could also consider moving Melky to free up another $8M. His contract is quite team friendly and I am sure there would be plenty of interest, then just go with Gose in the OF (but I really doubt he moves Melky).

GD
05-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Aren't we getting like $25M from revenue sharing?

admin
05-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Well, JJ is a FA, so his payroll won't count, but even cutting $10M for Buehrle will be pretty significant. Could also consider moving Melky to free up another $8M. His contract is quite team friendly and I am sure there would be plenty of interest, then just go with Gose in the OF (but I really doubt he moves Melky).

Yeah I meant JJ being a FA his money coming off the books. I'd like to see what Melky does over the next month or two first. At $8M, I wouldn't mind him in LF if he can hit again.

Aren't we getting like $25M from revenue sharing?

Yeah I think so as well. We need a pitcher too!

Arkadium
05-11-2013, 12:46 AM
A firesale isn't happening............they've went all in for 3 years. There will be moves but to think they's sell out is a dream.

Dream? That's a nightmare.

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Worst. Game. Ever.

CHRIS
05-11-2013, 07:45 AM
.. it's mainly just desperation and booze talking.

I think this is what got us into trouble in the first place. I can picture AA and Beeston with cigars and brandy, giggling, getting ready to crank call the Marlins, and then waking up with a multi-player deal on their hands.

CHRIS
05-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Yeah. I don't even know why there was so much hype.

Same last name as his dad.

Metallijay
05-11-2013, 08:38 AM

BEt Cano wouldn't want to play in TO.

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
BEt Cano wouldn't want to play in TO.

Cano and Bautista are BFF's

But yeah he probably wants to be a career Yankee

F%#ck. who could blame him?

ElNik2013
05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Didn't the Blue Jays get 8 million from the Marlins or was that just a painting of an 8-million dollar bill Loria convinced AA was worth the same as 8mil?

I guess this would bring down Buehrle's deal to around 40 million, still bad, but at least a bit less to eat.

ElNik2013
05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Cano and Bautista are BFF's

But yeah he probably wants to be a career Yankee

F%#ck. who could blame him?

By how much would the Blue Jays have to overpay to get Cano or other top free agents to sign with them?

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 09:10 AM
By how much would the Blue Jays have to overpay to get Cano or other top free agents to sign with them?

That's the perennial question

A good season with a playoff appearance would have helped

This clusterf#%ck of a season might make it harder to attract free agents

Plus I don't they don't want to give 25+M a year at a single position even if it is someone as good as Cano.

If Johnson does walk, freeing up money, they'll probably want to spend it on pitching anyway

It's too bad because Cano to replace Izturis would probably be the biggest upgrade the team could possibly make via free agency this upcoming season. Just don't hold your breath...

GD
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Yeah I think so as well. We need a pitcher too!

Not if Hutch gets back.

Isn't Lind's contract up at the end of the year? That would clear another 7M.

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Not if Hutch gets back.

Isn't Lind's contract up at the end of the year? That would clear another 7M.

Lind can be kept for 7M next year or bought out for 2M

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
@ShiDavidi: From last night, Ramon Ortiz pleasant surprise but Jon Lester too much for #BlueJays vs #RedSox: http://t.co/DXQJDQ8dkm

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 09:20 AM
God job on quoting yourself.

Well no one else is going to quote him so...

ElNik2013
05-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Plus I don't they don't want to give 25+M a year at a single position even if it is someone as good as Cano.

If Johnson does walk they'll probably want to spend the money on pitching anyway

It's too bad because Cano to replace Izturis would probably be the biggest possible upgrade the team could possibly make via free agency this upcoming season. Just don't hold your breath...

Good thing I was just 5 minutes into holding my breath, thanks!

AA must take the pick and let someone else sign JJ unless he can get him on a cheap 1 year deal. Let's hope he comes back and doesn't miss any more starts, but I have a feeling, given all that has gone wrong, that he may end up with TJS.

I'd say he needs to take that money and address C and DH. I know 2B is a hole, but Izturis is signed to a 3 year deal and if you address C and DH, you can live with his offense although I wish they could get a guy with similar offense, but better defense.

There will potentially be pitching depth next season with possibly Nolin, Stroman and outside chance that even Sanchez start the year at AAA. Hutchison, Drabek will hopefully be back so that will also help. On the other hand, others have pointed out that the payroll is already maxed out for next year so they may have to go with the same crew unless AA makes some trades.

Metallijay
05-11-2013, 09:30 AM

If Johnson does walk, freeing up money, they'll probably want to spend it on pitching anyway

It's too bad because Cano to replace Izturis would probably be the biggest upgrade the team could possibly make via free agency this upcoming season. Just don't hold your breath...
Remember when To was the place players wanted to play? Man I miss those days.

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Remember when To was the place players wanted to play? Man I miss those days.

Yes I do

And I hoped this season would get us back there

Pffft

Angrioter
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Do you know Chris Carpenter? lol

JohnnyLonghorn
05-11-2013, 11:00 AM
If we're giving Buerhle 20m a year Cano deserves 100m per year

Angrioter
05-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Cano best 2B MLB

Vs

Buehrle #5 starter + Pitching coach + Vetrin + philanthropist + bulldogs

G-Snarls
05-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Fortunately the economics of baseball don't work that way

GD
05-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Lind can be kept for 7M next year or bought out for 2M

Lind - 5M off the books
JJ - 10M off the books
Dump Romero - 7M off the books
Dump Buehrle - 23M off the books (eat most of it)
25M from revenue sharing

We could really go after some guys. Wow.

dineke
05-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Lind - 5M off the books
JJ - 10M off the books
Dump Romero - 7M off the books
Dump Buehrle - 23M off the books (eat most of it)
25M from revenue sharing

We could really go after some guys. Wow.

Like top free agent pitcher Phil Hughes?

GD
05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Like top free agent pitcher Phil Hughes?

Oi.

Brian McCann really intrigues me as an option even though I know it won't happen.

dineke
05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Its happened. We've become the Phillies.

Wait where's our 5 straight years of division titles and a World series then?

GD
05-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Its happened. We've become the Phillies.

At least the Phillies have Lee, Utley and Revere.

dineke
05-11-2013, 02:16 PM
We're the 2012 Miami Marlins.

So all they need to do is find the dumb gm that will take all their big contracts in the offseason.