PDA

View Full Version : Law's Latest Mock

Boxcar
05-16-2013, 06:22 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9277478/houston-astros-do-not-take-mark-appel-first-mock-draft-2013-mlb-draft

Can someone post please? Something happened to my insider account.

Uhm...ok I can see stuff now. Weird.

Jonathan Gray
POS: RHP
HT: 6-4
WT: 239
School: Oklahoma

Analysis: The industry thinking is that the Astros will try to cut a deal with Gray for less than it would cost to sign Mark Appel, then applying the savings to later picks where they might sign players to bonuses that exceed MLB's recommendations.

There is one hot rumor this week that has the Astros on UNC third baseman Colin Moran, one of the top statistical performers in this draft and someone likely to rate at or near the top of Houston's internal analytics.

Besides Gray and Moran, Mark Appel and perhaps Kris Bryant all seem to be in consideration, and maybe (but probably not) Clint Frazier. If last year is any guide, the Astros won't make a final decision until a few hours or even minutes before the pick.
SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO Video

Mark Appel
HT: 6-5
WT: 215
School: Stanford

Analysis: This is Appel or Gray, assuming one of them goes first, with Appel the preference. The Cubs are in the catbird seat in this draft -- they don't have to pay the premium that comes with picking first overall but are guaranteed to get one of the two huge arms in the class.

Kris Bryant
POS: 3B/OF
B/T: R/R
School: San Diego

Analysis: I've only heard them on bats so far, including Bryant, Dominic Smith and Austin Meadows. However, if Gray ends up here, I think the Rockies would take him.

Kohl Stewart
HT: 6-3
WT: 190
School: St. Pius X (Houston)

Analysis: They've been very heavy on Stewart over his last few outings, and he's an ideal fit for a system that needs high-upside pitchers, with Stewart offering the athleticism the Twins have always favored in position players.

There is a persistent rumor that the Twins will cut a deal with prep catcher Reese McGuire for less than MLB's recommended bonus, which would allow them to apply those savings later in the draft. But Stewart is clearly the better choice and appears to be higher on their internal board, below only the three players who I project to go in the top three.

Colin Moran
POS: 3B
School: North Carolina

Analysis: I've heard that Moran will fall no farther than here at No. 5, and Cleveland will take Bryant if Moran is gone. Clint Frazier could be a backup plan at this spot, the highest I've heard him going other than Houston.

Braden Shipley
School: Nevada

Analysis: Shipley and New Mexico's DJ Peterson are the two most frequent names I'm hearing about with this pick. Peterson would be the first college position player that the Marlins drafted with their first selection since Mark Kotsay in 1996. Ownership seems to be mandating a college player for the first pick.

Ryne Stanek
HT: 6-4
School: Arkansas

Analysis: Stanek came into the year as a top-five pick, struggled with command, but has been showing major velocity of late and holding it deep into games. There's a thought that the Sox are lurking on him and Sean Manaea, since Moran and Bryant will likely be gone and Clint Frazier might be too risky for them at No. 7. If they drafted a little lower, they might consider Alex Gonzalez as well.

SCOUTING REPORT

Sean Manaea
POS: LHP
WT: 235
School: Indiana State

Analysis: I'm hearing that the Royals are focused on college arms, including Manaea and Shipley, but oddly enough not Stanek, whom they've barely scouted. Their main non-pitching target seems to be Austin Meadows.

DJ Peterson
POS: 3B/1B
HT: 6-1
WT: 205
School: New Mexico

Analysis: They are also linked to Reese McGuire (whom GM Neal Huntington has seen more than once), Austin Meadows and Trey Ball.

Note: A compensation pick for failing to sign Mark Appel with No. 8 overall pick in 2012.
SCOUTING REPORT

Reese McGuire
POS: C
B/T: L/R
School: Kentwood HS (Kent, Wash.)

Analysis: I've heard the Blue Jays could take Ball or Meadows with this pick. I would expect them to be opportunistic on any player who was supposed to go higher than this and falls, which could mean Frazier.

Dominic Smith
POS: 1B
B/T: L/L
HT: 6-0
WT: 195
School: Serra HS (Gardena, Calif.)

Analysis: This pick could also be Peterson, Aaron Judge or longshots Hunter Renfroe or Austin Wilson. Also, the Mets were among the teams scouting Frazier on Monday.

Austin Meadows
POS: OF
B/T: L/L
WT: 200
School: Grayson (Ga.) HS

Analysis: The Mariners originally thought they'd have a shot at Moran, but that seems impossible. Peterson and Stanek are both considerations if they're available here, with Reese McGuire getting play as the local kid.

I think Seattle would be over the moon getting Meadows here with the No. 12 pick. No matter how I map the scenarios, either Meadows or Peterson ends up here.

Clint Frazier
POS: OF
School: Loganville (Ga.) HS

Analysis: Frazier and Meadows falling this far seems odd to me, but there's a flight to safety in the top 10, with teams expressing stronger preferences for college players over prep kids. That could certainly change in the next three weeks after scouting departments get into their draft rooms.

The Padres would also consider Hunter Renfroe with this pick or they might cut a deal with a prep arm, an approach that worked very well for them last year when they nabbed prep lefty Max Fried at No. 7 overall.

SirBJay
05-16-2013, 07:24 PM
I still don't really understand Moran's appeal. Sorta underwhelming bat for such a high pick.

GD
05-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Analysis: I've heard the Blue Jays could take Ball or Meadows with this pick. I would expect them to be opportunistic on any player who was supposed to go higher than this and falls, which could mean Frazier.

fapfapfap

GD
05-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Agreed, him or Meadows.

+1, or Smith. One of Smith/Meadows/Frazier would be incredible.

Angrioter
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Moran = Ackley

Abomination
05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Can someone post please? Something happened to my insider account.

Uhm...ok I can see stuff now. Weird.

I've noticed that if you aren't logged in prior to clicking on the insider article, it often doesn't show it even after you log in. You can either clear your cache, or just make sure you log in first.

Boxcar
05-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I still don't really understand Moran's appeal. Sorta underwhelming bat for such a high pick.

I understand it even less when I watch him take batting practice.

JaysFanToTheEnd
05-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Why is Frazier stock dropping? There were reports and mocks on several different sites earlier on that had him in the top five. And that Marlins and Boston were very high on him. But now they all have him dropping.

That would be amazing if he drop to us.

mitchf
05-17-2013, 02:15 PM

I understand it even less when I watch him take batting practice.

Agreed. I was critical of him a couple months ago, why the rise? If Cleveland takes Naquin and Moran in back to back drafts, the entire scouting staff needs to be fired.

mitchf
05-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Also how do Frazier and Meadows get to us at 10? When watching prep bats, there's these two............................. And everyone else.

G-Snarls
05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I still blame Brandon Morrow for us falling from about pick 5 or 6 to pick 10 in this draft

Curse you Morrow...

theblujay
05-17-2013, 03:29 PM
If we take (another) McGuire over someone better like Frazier or Meadows I'm gonna be upset.

SirBJay
05-17-2013, 04:26 PM
If we take (another) McGuire over someone better like Frazier or Meadows I'm gonna be upset.

Would you be upset immediately? Or would you be upset 2 years later if they bust and the other guy thrives?

mitchf
05-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Would you be upset immediately? Or would you be upset 2 years later if they bust and the other guy thrives?
The correct answer is he'll go through great lengths to initially justify it, then the sadness comes.