PDA

View Full Version : The Prospect/Minor Leagues Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

theblujay
05-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I think its a good to idea to have one of these threads where we can discuss whatever is left of our minor league system.

So far today:

Negrych 2-3
Gose 2-4

GD
05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Great thread.

As I mentioned in around baseball..

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Justin Jackson 2.2 2 1 1 0 1 0 3.38

How's Andy Burns doing? I know half of AA is injured and Lopes isn't doing great.

When do Anderson/Barreto/Lugo's seasons start?

theblujay
05-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Great thread.

As I mentioned in around baseball..

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Justin Jackson 2.2 2 1 1 0 1 0 3.38

How's Andy Burns doing? I know half of AA is injured and Lopes isn't doing great.

When do Anderson/Barreto/Lugo's seasons start?

Bluefield starts June 20th. Vancouver the 17th.

theblujay
05-05-2013, 03:40 PM
For AA Joel Carreno has had a great start as a reliever.

24:2 K:BB

24K in 13.1 IP

0.68 ERA

theblujay
05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Great thread.

Burns has been great.

.318/.409/.514 9 SB

16BB: 13K

(In Dunedin)

GD
05-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Remember Carreno in 2011? 2.83 FIP? He was great. I still have some faith in him.

Burns is a really nice sleeper, he's not that old or anything.

theblujay
05-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Remember Carreno in 2011? 2.83 FIP? He was great. I still have some faith in him.

Burns is a really nice sleeper, he's not that old or anything.

He's 22 in A+ which isn't great, but still a sleeper.

GD
05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
He's 22 in A+ which isn't great, but still a sleeper.

It's better than a guy like Pillar. If he gets promoted, which he will, he'll be 22 in AA, which is perfectly fine.

theblujay
05-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Does anyone know where my avvy DJ Davis is supposed to play this year?

GD
05-05-2013, 04:00 PM

I would think Lansing or Vancouver.

theblujay
05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I would think Lansing or Vancouver.

He's not in Lansing now...I think you meant Bluefield. Also do we know whats going on with Alford?

GD
05-05-2013, 04:05 PM
He's not in Lansing now...I think you meant Bluefield. Also do we know whats going on with Alford?

Meh, close enough haha. I still want him in Vancouver, either way.

Alford's redshirting this year, I think.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
It's better than a guy like Pillar. If he gets promoted, which he will, he'll be 22 in AA, which is perfectly fine.

The way Pillar is hitting, he should be in Buffalo soon, shouldn't he?

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 04:06 PM

vancouver, also Dawel Lugo

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but Gose has hit 2nd all year, grooming him to hit 2nd in Toronto behind Reyes?

GD
05-05-2013, 04:09 PM
The way Pillar is hitting, he should be in Buffalo soon, shouldn't he?

Probably, but he's still like 25.

vancouver, also Dawel Lugo

Jacob Anderson, too?

Wait, why's Lugo in Vancouver? That's surprising.

I assume Tirado is still in extended spring.
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but Gose has hit 2nd all year, grooming him to hit 2nd in Toronto behind Reyes?

That would be a terrible idea imo. 2nd is for your best hitter.

TheHurl
05-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Goins goes to May 4th without a walk now has 4 in two games (3 yesterday, 1 more today). I know that Buffalo stats are a little inflated, but I really think he's a legit injury replacement/utility IF.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I just don't know why he wouldn't be leading off.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Goins goes to May 4th without a walk now has 4 in two games (3 yesterday, 1 more today). I know that Buffalo stats are a little inflated, but I really think he's a legit injury replacement/utility IF.

I noticed that. I do like him and Pillar just keeps on hitting in AA, they both could be cheap backup if/of options...unless some GM wants to treat them as top prospects and take them for a starting 2b!

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Dawel Lugo will start at Bluefield

Sorry.

TheHurl
05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
I just don't know why he wouldn't be leading off.

he needs to be seeing fastballs. It's all he can really handle at this point.

GD
05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Dawel Lugo will start at Bluefield

Sorry.

Ah, yeah, that makes way more sense. You ever seen the kid? I've heard very encouraging things on him.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Probably, but he's still like 25.

24 this year, not saying he's a top prospect, but he could be a cheap 4th OF option. He was drafted in the 32nd round in 2011 and has moved quickly. Just move him to AAA if he keeps this up. Anyway, it's always good to see an organization draft a guy in the 32nd round that makes it...now if they could only not blow their early round picks...lol.

GD
05-05-2013, 04:22 PM
24 this year, not saying he's a top prospect, but he could be a cheap 4th OF option. He was drafted in the 32nd round in 2011 and has moved quickly. Just move him to AAA if he keeps this up. Anyway, it's always good to see an organization draft a guy in the 32nd round that makes it...now if they could only not blow their early round picks...lol.

Yeah, that's fair, I was talking in terms of being too old to really have more of a future than a 4th OF. I still see a lot of Reed Johnson in Pillar.

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Ah, yeah, that makes way more sense. You ever seen the kid? I've heard very encouraging things on him.

Lugo
Good bat speed
Hard to strike out.
Decent arm and bases runner.

Richard Ureņa is a decent guy too, I like his glove

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Yeah, that's fair, I was talking in terms of being too old to really have more of a future than a 4th OF. I still see a lot of Reed Johnson in Pillar.

He keeps hitting and blue jays will need all cheap productive options they can get in the next 2-3 years with the salaries they have taken on and he just keeps on doing what he's supposed to do to move up in the minors.

GD
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Lugo
Good bat speed
Hard to strike out.
Decent arm and bases runner.

Richard Ureņa is a decent guy too, I like his glove

Yeah, you've brought him up before. Can he hit?

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah, you've brought him up before. Can he hit?

Lugo hits the ball with power (gap po, no dingers pop), I think he'll not be a bad hitter.
Richard Ureņa doesn't have gap power but he's smart, he puts the ball on ground frequently.

GD
05-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Lugo hits the ball with power (gap po, no dingers pop), I think he'll not be a bad hitter.
Richard Ureņa doesn't have gap power but he's smart, he puts the ball on ground frequently.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2013/03/08/scouting-report-dawel-lugo-ss/

"Potential .290+ hitter. Power is in there and will manifest with additional physical maturation and development of his offensive approach. Has lift in the swing and bat speed for 20+ home runs, backed up by piles of doubles. Potential impact middle-of-the-order hitter with average and power."

Thoughts?

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 04:41 PM

"Potential .290+ hitter. Power is in there and will manifest with additional physical maturation and development of his offensive approach. Has lift in the swing and bat speed for 20+ home runs, backed up by piles of doubles. Potential impact middle-of-the-order hitter with average and power."

Thoughts?

a little overrated but more o less.

theblujay
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Thoughts?

A prospect in the Jays system who can hit?!? What a surprise

theblujay
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
What's the difference in the level of players between Vancouver and Bluefield?

John_Havok
05-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Bluefield is Rookie level ball. Basically guys who are just out of high school or debuting in the us from the Donovan leagues. Ages around 18-20.

Vancouver is A level short season ball, usually those who were just drafted out of college, so already have a couple of years of higher level competition. Ages 21-22

TO1
05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
What's the difference in the level of players between Vancouver and Bluefield?

Not much difference.

theblujay
05-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Bluefield is Rookie level ball. Basically guys who are just out of high school or debuting in the us from the Donovan leagues. Ages around 18-20.

Vancouver is A level short season ball, usually those who were just drafted out of college, so already have a couple of years of higher level competition. Ages 21-22

Thanks. ---

Caper
05-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I have a question for the experts about prospect development. Help me out here.

In a system there are prospects and there are filler..... My question is. Why isn't a guy like DJ Davis in AAA Buffalo (in place of filler)?

I understand that the pitching would be tough and his hitting would be bad, but wouldn't he be better for it in the end? Isn't the whole idea of minor leagues practice? I have trouble understanding why a guy like DJ Davis wouldn't better off having 4 or 5 years of practice hitting off triple AAA pitchers then having a year practice at sub par pitching... then another year of sub par pitching... and finally working their way up.

Basically what I'm asking is..... wouldn't you want, in terms of development, your prospects facing the best possible pitching all the time? Is it best to hit .280 off pitching you can handle well.... then .280 off better pitching and so on until you've reached major league pitching.... or would you be better off hitting .100 off the best possible pitching an organization can get you... and simply learn to hit that same pitching better?

Have both approaches been tested?

Thanks.

admin
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
I understand that the pitching would be tough and his hitting would be bad, but wouldn't he be better for it in the end? Isn't the whole idea of minor leagues practice?

It's just such a big jump that he would more than likely never adjust. It's not just your physical talents, but mental as well. Hitting under .200 in a full season doesn't help your confidence,
especially when you don't see any type of improvement. It's the same as talking about bringing up guys to the majors too early. It's just a too big of a jump, and can potentially ruin their careers.

Caper
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
It's just such a big jump that he would more than likely never adjust. It's not just your physical talents, but mental as well. Hitting under .200 in a full season doesn't help your confidence,
especially when you don't see any type of improvement. It's the same as talking about bringing up guys to the majors too early. It's just a too big of a jump, and can potentially ruin their careers.

I guess... I can see that. But I'm thinking more about reps of good pitching.... maybe they need better pitching machines that mimic an actual pitcher more and a player can spend 100's of hours on that. I think of those players like Travis Snider and that low inside curve ball that would just chew him up. I know there are pitching machines that throw curve balls... but they don't really mimic the actual pitcher releasing the ball..... If only there was a pitching robot that could just feed a guy like Snider those curveballs all day and he could either learn to hit it or lay off of it.

Pete_7
05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
What happened to Osuna, see him on the 7 day DL

GD
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM

In a system there are prospects and there are filler..... My question is. Why isn't a guy like DJ Davis in AAA Buffalo (in place of filler)?

I understand that the pitching would be tough and his hitting would be bad, but wouldn't he be better for it in the end? Isn't the whole idea of minor leagues practice? I have trouble understanding why a guy like DJ Davis wouldn't better off having 4 or 5 years of practice hitting off triple AAA pitchers then having a year practice at sub par pitching... then another year of sub par pitching... and finally working their way up.

Basically what I'm asking is..... wouldn't you want, in terms of development, your prospects facing the best possible pitching all the time? Is it best to hit .280 off pitching you can handle well.... then .280 off better pitching and so on until you've reached major league pitching.... or would you be better off hitting .100 off the best possible pitching an organization can get you... and simply learn to hit that same pitching better?

Thanks.

Huh, I actually really see your point here. I guess teams feel more comfortable with prospects gradually gaining confidence as they progress.

eastcoastjaysfan
05-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks.

If he was actually a good hitter or had this thing called talent, it might not be a bad idea (ie see the rapid rise of Harper through the Nats system).

Davis sucks. He can't even hit the lower levels how the heck do you expect him to succeed against former major leaguers?

eastcoastjaysfan
05-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Quick recap on AA's drafting history:

2010: Looks like we'll only get Sanchez out of this draft assuming he continues to develop. McGuire is a massive bust. Everything else traded for old guys
2011: Absolutely nothing to see here (unless you are a fan of OFers who can't hit). Most intriguing pick is a Jesus freak who has a career 8.34ERA in the minors
2012: Davis looks absolutely terrible, and Stroman is a juicer.

Um

It's almost pointless to even follow the system now.

Pete_7
05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Stroman looked pretty good against ML players at the end of ST, albeit it was the Phillies

eastcoastjaysfan
05-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Stroman looked pretty good against ML players at the end of ST, albeit it was the Phillies

Irrelevant

Even if he can be an effective starter Gibbons will get directions from the FO to turn him into the COTF

GD
05-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Why do you say this?

....!

Because I hadn't checked his stats in a couple weeks. HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK lol. .367 wOBA is purty. 122 wRC+, very nice, but I think the FSL is a hitter's league. Still, for a younger prospect, he's advancing quickly. What's Dunedin's IF, Pierre/Burns/Lopes/Jacobo?

Caper
05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
If he was actually a good hitter or had this thing called talent, it might not be a bad idea (ie see the rapid rise of Harper through the Nats system).

Davis sucks. He can't even hit the lower levels how the heck do you expect him to succeed against former major leaguers?

How could you say Davis is bad? He hit .250 as a 17 year old... His 1st year?

GD
05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
How could you say Davis is bad? He hit .250 as a 17 year old... His 1st year?

... Did raysjays just sign into the wrong account, or...? I'm confused.

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
:mad:

+1 Troll #1 is here

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Lopes is in Lansing

Lopes is legit, can't run but his bat is so sexy

TheHurl
05-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Honestly he knows that if pulls the same shit here he'll be gone. So let him try out being a legit poster for a while.

OtisNixonFan
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Quick recap on AA's drafting history:

2010: Looks like we'll only get Sanchez out of this draft assuming he continues to develop. McGuire is a massive bust. Everything else traded for old guys
2011: Absolutely nothing to see here (unless you are a fan of OFers who can't hit). Most intriguing pick is a Jesus freak who has a career 8.34ERA in the minors
2012: Davis looks absolutely terrible, and Stroman is a juicer.

Um

It's almost pointless to even follow the system now.

He's made some decent international F.A. Signings though. Lugo, Barreto, and especially Osuna come to mind. Sure beats the hell out of guys like Balbino (shudder) Fuenmayor

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
probation period

GD
05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Lopes is in Lansing

I'm not sure how Fangraphs does this minor league A-/A thing. Is A not Dunedin and A- not Lansing..? He's in A.

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by King
Lopes is in Lansing
I'm not sure how Fangraphs does this minor league A-/A thing. Is A not Dunedin and A- not Lansing..? He's in A.

how Can I use the multi-quote?

dineke
05-05-2013, 10:22 PM

The button on the far right corner.

P2F
05-05-2013, 10:22 PM

A is Lansing.

Here ya go, bro:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=547173

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
The button on the far right corner.

Thanks, bro

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:28 PM
A is Lansing.

Here ya go, bro:

MLB - Blue Jays
AAA - Buffalo
AA - NHS
+A - Dunedin
A - Lansing
Short A - Vancouver
Rookie - Bluefield
Instructional - GCL Blue Jays and Dominican Summer league

GD
05-05-2013, 10:28 PM
A is Lansing.

Here ya go, bro:

For a kid repeating Lansing that's to be expected. Lansing is an extreme pitchers' park though, so not bad. Thanks.

Caper
05-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Honestly he knows that if pulls the same shit here he'll be gone. So let him try out being a legit poster for a while.

I'm really not High85... I just thought it would be funny if I made it my user name.

The funny thing is about High85..... every troll post he made turned out to be true. I am sure he was laughing as he was typing what a great signing Vernon Wells was or Lyle Overbay...... but it ended up being right.

P2F
05-05-2013, 10:34 PM
For a kid repeating Lansing that's to be expected. Lansing is an extreme pitchers' park though, so not bad. Thanks.

He played in Rookie ball and then moved up to Short A last year.

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Bluefield or/and Vancouver

OtisNixonFan
05-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Anyone have a decent link for a scouting report on Smoral. Need to familiarise myself with him.

GD
05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Anyone have a decent link for a scouting report on Smoral. Need to familiarise myself with him.

Big lefty, good secondaries, nice fastball, broke his foot, slipped to us, injury concerns due to size, Bumgarner comp's been thrown around.

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Big lefty, good secondaries, nice fastball, broke his foot, slipped to us, injury concerns due to size, Bumgarner comp's been thrown around.

Andy Pettitte comp's

GD
05-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Andy Pettitte comp's

Either one would be nice

Angrioter
05-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Either one would be nice

Pettitte is a lucky bastard, I'd prefer MaBum comp lol

OtisNixonFan
05-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Either one would be nice

I think I'd take Prime Petitte.

GD
05-05-2013, 11:16 PM
I think I'd take Prime Petitte.

Fuck the Yankees lol.

Career best Pettitte had a 2.96 FIP (this was before xFIP). 2011 Bumgarner had a 2.67 FIP. Granted, Pettitte did it in the steroids era, but he was on them too.

If he doesn't fall off the face of the earth, I think I'd rather MadBum, really.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Anyone seen updates on Nolin and Stilson? I know A.J. Jimenez is back playing in Dunedin, I would think he'll be up in NH since that's where he ended up last year.

I just haven't seen anything on Nolin and Stilson.

TO1
05-05-2013, 11:20 PM
The FSL is known as a pitcher's league.

GD
05-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Anyone seen updates on Nolin and Stilson? I know A.J. Jimenez is back playing in Dunedin, I would think he'll be up in NH since that's where he ended up last year.

I just haven't seen anything on Nolin and Stilson.

Injured and injured respectively. I can't wait until those 3 get back, though. I see a closer in Stilson, #3 in Nolin and our next catcher of the future in Jimenez.

TDA A+ wRC+: 107
Jimenez A+ wRC+: 113

Completely meaningless, but kinda funny.

TO1
05-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Lopes is legit, can't run but his bat is so sexy

Only thing he hasn't shown so far is the ability to take a BB.
His OBP is only like 16 points higher than his BA.
3 BB in 109 ABs really shows he doesn't exactly take a pitch. That could bite him down the road.

GD
05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Only thing he hasn't shown so far is the ability to take a BB.
His OBP is only like 16 points higher than his BA.
3 BB in 109 ABs really shows he doesn't exactly take a pitch. That could bite him down the road.

He doesn't strike out much though which is really, really nice. Even if he doesn't walk, he at least puts the ball in play.

Stroman the other day

"BJ's with @Sean_Nolin and @A_Sanch21! That's a restaurant by the way. Lol #dontgetittwisted"

...Nice

LOL, the kid's immature but hilarious.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Injured and injured respectively. I can't wait until those 3 get back, though. I see a closer in Stilson, #3 in Nolin and our next catcher of the future in Jimenez.

TDA A+ wRC+: 107
Jimenez A+ wRC+: 113

Completely meaningless, but kinda funny.

I knew they were injured, I just haven't seen any updates on their injuries and when they'd be back. And, like you, I can't wait till they're all back in NH, they'll be very important going forward and if they were all to start next year at AAA, along with Stroman, it would be huge for the organization.

GD
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
I knew they were injured, I just haven't seen any updates on their injuries and when they'd be back. And, like you, I can't wait till they're all back in NH, they'll be very important going forward and if they were all to start next year at AAA, along with Stroman, it would be huge for the organization.

I wouldn't really mind Stroman/Hutchison/Nolin/Stilson/Sanchez competing to replace JJ when he's gone.

ElNik2013
05-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't really mind Stroman/Hutchison/Nolin/Stilson/Sanchez competing to replace JJ when he's gone.

When you put it that way, the organization doesn't look as horrible after the trades. Sanchez does have a chance of starting next year in AAA, I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that with a few more good starts, he could be promoted to NH and if he does well there, he could start next year in AAA. Even though I didn't like the trades in the offseason, the team did need to acquire ML starters, especially after the injuries to Hutchison and Drabek, even though Drabek was bad, and Romero's disastrous season. I just wish they had gone after younger, controllable players (like AA used to preach), or the FA route and kept the prospects, imagine the guys you mention above plus Nicolino, Syndergaard, Hech, Gose and D'Arnaud. AA was building a nice nucleus with Lawrie already in teh bigs. The pitching was behind though and it showed last year.

Anyway, at least there are some arms moving up.

GD
05-05-2013, 11:51 PM
When you put it that way, the organization doesn't look as horrible after the trades. Sanchez does have a chance of starting next year in AAA, I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that with a few more good starts, he could be promoted to NH and if he does well there, he could start next year in AAA. Even though I didn't like the trades in the offseason, the team did need to acquire ML starters, especially after the injuries to Hutchison and Drabek, even though Drabek was bad, and Romero's disastrous season. I just wish they had gone after younger, controllable players (like AA used to preach), or the FA route and kept the prospects, imagine the guys you mention above plus Nicolino, Syndergaard, Hech, Gose and D'Arnaud. AA was building a nice nucleus with Lawrie already in teh bigs. The pitching was behind though and it showed last year.

Yeah, this is what I've been saying in other threads about rebuilding. We have a really underrated farm system with sleepers (Burns, Tirado, Pompey, Pillar), underrated guys (Stilson, Lopes, etc), and key pieces (Sanchez, Osuna) with some guys who, if they pan out, could be insane (Davis, Alford, Anderson, Smith Jr, Norris, Drabek). They've got some nice ML talent (Hutchison, Lawrie, Morrow, EE), and some pieces to move for prospects.

I think I would have preferred tanking for another year / adding through 2014 FA or adding through 2013 FA this year and keeping our nucleus, but the franchise isn't in bad shape, per se, we're not the Phillies (yet)- it's just a shitty season. When we trade away our key cogs (which we will), though, then we'll be the Phillies.

SirBJay
05-05-2013, 11:57 PM

I remember where you might have read that, although IIRC that may have been an assumption, I know that the org intended to stop babying Sanchez and if he was gonna pitch well, they would send him up.

Although personally, I don't think the Jays are gonna promote Sanchez before the All-Star break. I'll be pretty shocked if they do.

ElNik2013
05-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Although personally, I don't think the Jays are gonna promote Sanchez before the All-Star break. I'll be pretty shocked if they do.

That would give him 2 months in NH and if he does well there, he could start next year at AAA. Anyway, we need Nolin, Stilson, Stroman and Jimenez back in NH so that AA can trade them for a middle reliever...lol, kidding! But seriously, too bad Nolin and Stilson are on the DL, they are missing out on some good development time. At least Stroman should be back in like 10 games.

TO1
05-06-2013, 12:13 AM
He doesn't strike out much though which is really, really nice. Even if he doesn't walk, he at least puts the ball in play.

LOL, the kid's immature but hilarious.

Sure, but unless he continues to hit at a really high rate, he won't have much of an OBP to talk about. It's kinda been the Jays issue over the last few years.
Do you really think the kid is going to hit 320+ in the majors to get his OBP to somewhere near 340 year-after-year? I wouldn't take that bet on anyone.
At some point the free swinging aspect of Jays hitters coming up has to change or their going to suffer the same fate that's plagued the ML team for a while now.

GD
05-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Sure, but unless he continues to hit at a really high rate, he won't have much of an OBP to talk about. It's kinda been the Jays issue over the last few years.
Do you really think the kid is going to hit 320+ in the majors to get his OBP to somewhere near 340 year-after-year? I wouldn't take that bet on anyone.
At some point the free swinging aspect of Jays hitters coming up has to change or their going to suffer the same fate that's plagued the ML team for a while now.

Obviously not, but who's to say his walk rate won't improve?

I don't think he's gonna be special, just a nice, solid hitter.

TO1
05-06-2013, 12:22 AM

Sanchez is the ML next year is really rushing the kid. I wouldn't do that move.
Stroman is going to start probably in Dunedin sometime around May 20. Didn't start last year and will need some time. So I don't think that will work for next year either.
Stilson is a reliever. Keeps getting injured as a starter and has a violent delivery not ideal for a starter.

Hutchison makes the most sense to me. Has some ML experience and was coming along fine before his injury last year.

TO1
05-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Obviously not, but who's to say his walk rate won't improve?

I don't think he's gonna be special, just a nice, solid hitter.

I'm not saying it won't improve. Just that it has to improve for him to be good at higher levels. If it doesn't then more advanced pitching will just throw him junk just outside the strike zone and he will get himself out swinging at that crap.

SirBJay
05-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Stroman is going to start probably in Dunedin sometime around May 20. Didn't start last year and will need some time. So I don't think that will work for next year either.
Stilson is a reliever. Keeps getting injured as a starter and has a violent delivery not ideal for a starter.

Hutchison makes the most sense to me. Has some ML experience and was coming along fine before his injury last year.

Yep, you gotta ensure Sanchez continues to throw out low walk rates for an extended period. IMO that should hold first priority in regards to promoting him.

GD
05-06-2013, 12:27 AM

Yeah, that's why I listed him last. It'd take a LOT of breaks. But he should be in the rotation in 2014.
Stroman's potentially MLB ready, though, he'd probably be at AA/AAA but he's just getting stretched out at HiA. He DID start last year, at Duke, though.
Stilson's a reliever, I concur, but he's just another name.

Nolin could also work but I'm really high on Hutch as well. Point is that there are already potential replacements, not to mention guys who could put it together (McGuire, Jenkins, Carreno?).

CHRIS
05-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Always figured that Hutch would step in nicely if Johnson walked. Definitely nice to have a few other guys pan out.

GD
05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Always figured that Hutch would step in nicely if Johnson walked. Definitely nice to have a few other guys pan out.

I really hope he can get back by the ASB or so, it'd be nice to groom him in Buffalo.

Angrioter
05-06-2013, 08:30 AM

1-Hutchison
2-Drabek
3-Nolin
4-Stroman

CHRIS
05-06-2013, 08:33 AM
1-Hutchison
2-Drabek
3-Nolin
4-Stroman

Drabek turning into anything useful would be such a nice bonus at this point.

theblujay
05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
I hope Sanchez gets promoted sooner rather than later because I can go to some games in NH.

z3r0s
05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I find myself cheering for Pillar more each day. I'm not naive to bank on him turning into something, but he continues to hit at his MiLB career rate of a .330 avg.

GD
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
1-Hutchison
2-Drabek
3-Nolin
4-Stroman

Lol if we're throwing Drabek into this then we're throwing D-Mac into this.

1) Hutch
2) Drabek
3) D-Mac
4) Nolin
5) Stroman
6) Sanchez

GD
05-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Yes it's called development........dude's just being a subtle troll.

Meh, it's not a bad point.

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Sean Nolin debut tonight at NHS AA

White Sox Claim Mike McDade

G-Snarls
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Not sure if posted:

@ShiDavidi: #BlueJays promote Chad Beck from double-A New Hampshire to triple-A Buffalo. Fisher Cats activate Sean Nolin off DL, he starts tonight vs NB

z3r0s
05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Not sure if posted:

@ShiDavidi: #BlueJays promote Chad Beck from double-A New Hampshire to triple-A Buffalo. Fisher Cats activate Sean Nolin off DL, he starts tonight vs NB

Whats with the 14.4 K/9 on Beck this year... extreme SSS alert, but still odd. Did he learn a new pitch or something? Secretly developed a knuckler? :p

admin
05-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Whats with the 14.4 K/9 on Beck this year... extreme SSS alert, but still odd. Did he learn a new pitch or something? Secretly developed a knuckler? :p

I don't know a ton about Beck, but I always felt he could be a decent BP arm for some reason.

GD
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Not sure if posted:

Awesome! Can't wait to see Nolin.

I don't know a ton about Beck, but I always felt he could be a decent BP arm for some reason.

Yeah, I always had a good feeling about him, and then he threw me a ball one game so I'm a Beck fan lol.

theblujay
05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
So Nolin pitches tonight for NH, Sanchez is starting for Dunedin and I think Osuna might be starting for Lansing, since I think its been awhile since his last start...

theblujay
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
So Nolin pitches tonight for NH, Sanchez is starting for Dunedin and I think Osuna might be starting for Lansing, since I think its been awhile since his last start...

Lansing doesn't play today (Who doesn't play on Tuesday?) and it looks like Norris is starting tomorrow. Osuna last pitched April 30th, so thats weird. Anyone know if there's anything wrong?

GD
05-07-2013, 07:01 PM
If Osuna is injured I'm gonna fucking lose it

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 07:06 PM
If Osuna is injured I'm gonna fucking lose it

Today
Cuando vas a lanzar? or "When you will pitch?"

Roberto Osuna ‏
@Angelo_riot espero sea pronto yo estoy listoo or "I hope will be soon I'm ready"

GD
05-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Today
Cuando vas a lanzar? or "When you will pitch?"

Roberto Osuna ‏
@Angelo_riot espero sea pronto yo estoy listoo or "I hope will be soon I'm ready"

After I saw the thread, I'm fucking losing it

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Anthony Gose steals home and it wasn't even close! He didn't beat the tag, he beat the ball to the plate. 1-0 Herd

GD
05-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Anthony Gose steals home and it wasn't even close! He didn't beat the tag, he beat the ball to the plate. 1-0 Herd

Holy shit actually? Got video?

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Aaron Sanchize
3IP, H, 3K's (5GB, 1Flyout)

Nolin
3IP, 6H, 2ER, walk, 3K's (2GB, 1Flyuot)

TheHurl
05-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Holy shit actually? Got video?

it'll be up tomorrow. I was watching the Bauer vs. Danks game and missed it.

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Gose steals home play
http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=26916465&sid=t422

GD
05-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Aaron Sanchize
3IP, H, 3K's (5GB, 1Flyout)

Nolin
3IP, 6H, 2ER, walk, 3K's (2GB, 1Flyuot)

Nice lines from both. THey're totally gonna rush Nolin, though.

Anyone think we see Stroman get the call to replace Happ?

GD
05-07-2013, 08:23 PM

Gose stealing home.

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Aaron Sanchize
5.1IP scoreless, 2H, Walk, 6K's (7GB, 2Flyouts)

theblujay
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM
aaron sanchize
5.1ip scoreless, 2h, walk, 6k's (7gb, 2flyouts)

1 bb

fap

Jimcanuck
05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
anyone know why aj jimenez was pulled from the Dunedin game? is he hurt again?

SpeedyGose
05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
1 bb

fap

Really difficult to contain my excitement on Sanchez' development. fap...fap.faaap

theblujay
05-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Andy Burns hit a HR for Dunedin tonight. Berti with his 15 SB of the season.

SirBJay
05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Andy Burns hit a HR for Dunedin tonight. Berti with his 15 SB of the season.

Berti's prospect stock has shot down, a .298 wOBA in Hi-A as a 23 year-old.

In other news, anyone keeping an eye on George Springer, the guy is just destroying Double-A, but that is one UGLY K rate. (29%)

GD
05-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Sanchize <3 Burns <3

SirBJay
05-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Sanchize <3 Burns <3

If Sanchez keeps up the great walk rate....fap. I also like that he's also kept his K rate up at the same time.

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 11:39 PM
If Sanchez keeps up the great walk rate....fap. I also like that he's also kept his K rate up at the same time.

and sexy GB vs Flyouts rate

Caper
05-07-2013, 11:46 PM
I have a question... again for the guys more knowledgeable then I.

Why can't Aaron Sanchez come up to Toronto and take Happ's spot? I am not advocating it. I am just wondering why we would expect such a move to naturally fail.

I can understand why a hot hitter in A ball would fail miserably in the majors against great pitching.... But I can't see why a mid 90's fastball and a great changeup and curveball don't play well, whether it comes from a 20 year old or a 30 year old.

He goes 5 innings... but so did Happ.

Anyway... just curious what the experts had to say.

SirBJay
05-07-2013, 11:51 PM

Why can't Aaron Sanchez come up to Toronto and take Happ's spot? I am not advocating it. I am just wondering why we would expect such a move to naturally fail.

I can understand why a hot hitter in A ball would fail miserably in the majors against great pitching.... But I can't see why a mid 90's fastball and a great changeup and curveball don't play well, whether it comes from a 20 year old or a 30 year old.

Maybe cause his control is no sure thing. We haven't

Angrioter
05-07-2013, 11:52 PM

Aaron isn't a finished product. He need to improved some aspect of his game before get the call.

SirBJay
05-07-2013, 11:55 PM

Maybe cause his control is no sure thing. Kyle Drabek is a prime example of this. Is he just throwing strikes or actually spotting his pitches?

Doesn't need to be said that he's facing A ball hitters. That's such a ridiculously huge margin of talent below the ML.

ByronBlaze
05-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Could be bad for his confidence if he gets knocked around a little. The pressure would be enormous for a pitcher who would jump 3 levels. Rick Ankiel comes to mind if you know his story.

SAAviour
05-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Plus he has to be added to the 40 man. I'm assuming he isn't on it yet.....

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 12:50 AM

It's also a roster management thing (not the Jays management are good at this aspect anyway). In order to bring him up you have to add him to the 40 man. If he needs to go back down to the minors this year (if Happ isn't out for the season) you waste an option year. If he continues to have struggles at the major league level you have a guy who is 23 or 24 and out of options already. Now he's lost value and you handcuffs the team a little. The Jays had this happen with Snider. While he's not exactly an example as he was given a major league contract out of the draft but Jacob Turner isn't even 22 yet but he's used up 2 options and now his third will be this year. Next year if he struggles the Marlins will have to keep him up last year or lose a guy that is 23 and still has a load of talent.

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Still nothing on why Jimenez was pulled. In these cases no news is often bad news.

GD
05-08-2013, 10:37 AM

He could easily be a top 10 prospect next year.

Still nothing on why Jimenez was pulled. In these cases no news is often bad news.

Still nothing on Jimenez.

Caper
05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Is Jim Negrych a top 10 jays prospect?

GD
05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Is Jim Negrych a top 10 jays prospect?

He's 28. No.

NJH
05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfcMH9Eogg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfcMH9Eogg)

o2cui2i
05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfcMH9Eogg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfcMH9Eogg)

that announcer made my ears bleed

camera angle shows nothing. lol MiLB is not covered very well.

GD
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM

That really wasn't even close. Wow.

Caper
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
He's 28. No.

Where then would be on the Jays prospect list?

GD
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Where then would be on the Jays prospect list?

Nowhere. He's 28. He's not a prospect.

Caper
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Nowhere. He's 28. He's not a prospect.

What is the prospect age limit? Is it a rule somewhere?

dineke
05-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Negrych is a career AAAA'er, why would he be a prospect?

Caper
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Negrych is a career AAAA'er, why would he be a prospect?

Isn't a career AAAA defined as a player who couldn't hit in the major leagues, but can hit in AAA. How could anyone definitively say Negrych can't hit in the majors, if he never had the opportunity?

SpeedyGose
05-08-2013, 11:57 AM

That's a ....speedy gose

SpeedyGose
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Isn't a career AAAA defined as a player who couldn't hit in the major leagues, but can hit in AAA. How could anyone definitively say Negrych can't hit in the majors, if he never had the opportunity?

He's a utility infielder

dineke
05-08-2013, 12:03 PM

He was underwhelming in AAA last year as a 27 year old, and now he's having a hot month as a 28 year old. That doesn't make him a prospect.

dineke
05-08-2013, 12:04 PM
He's a utility infielder

If that.

Caper
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
He was underwhelming in AAA last year as a 27 year old, and now he's having a hot month as a 28 year old. That doesn't make him a prospect.

How many people over 27 have an OBP over .460 in AAA...... 30? 40?

dineke
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
You'd be surprised.

Caper
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
You'd be surprised.

Would I? Do a search and tell me your answer.

dineke
05-08-2013, 12:32 PM

I'm not going to waste my time doing that. A lot of 30 year olds that haven't done shit in the majors has had hot months and even seasons in AAA before.

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Update

Pillar CF 2-3, .336 Avg

GD
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM

http://minorleaguecentral.com/leaderboard?lid%5B%5D=117&y=2013&split=200&amod=%3C%3D&age=99&q=on&type=batter&table=0

Here are the guys in the IL. Don't bother with PCL.

G-Snarls
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
That's a ....speedy gose

That's just awesome. Gose stealing home during a pitch. LOL. Surprised the crap outnofnthe camera guy I think.

Better video quality on the Bisons page:

BJBirdy
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Not sure if posted:

I would have preferred to see Joel Carreno get promoted to Buffalo instead. His K/9IP ratio is almost identical and his ERA is nearly 2.00 less at 0.59. I saw him pitch in New Britain three weeks ago and he is clearly way too good for AA.

Caper
05-08-2013, 06:03 PM
What ever happened to Dickie Thon Jr.? I heard nothing but good... Then he got sick. Haven't heard his name in over a year.

theblujay
05-08-2013, 06:04 PM
What ever happened to Dickie Thon Jr.? I heard nothing but good... Then he got sick. Haven't heard his name in over a year.

I think he's drifting towards the pile of position player busts drafted by AA...

GD
05-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Pretty much a bust.

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I think he's drifting towards the pile of position player busts drafted by AA...

Christian Lopes is the only legit IFer

theblujay
05-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Any OFers?

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Any OFers?

Pillar lol
Jacob Anderson has left much to be desired, Hawkins can't hit for power,

GD
05-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Franklin Barreto, Andy Burns, Dawel Lugo, Richard Urena?

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Franklin Barreto, Andy Burns, Dawel Lugo, Richard Urena?

I have to see them perform with efficiency at A-ball minimum.
I saw Barreto, Lugo and Urena in action.

Barreto - great athlete, bat speed, not great defender
Lugo - Bat speed, gap pop
Urena - great defender but weak bat

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Negrych is 49th in the minors in OBP. Of the names ahead of him Buxton (19) is a legitimate prospect, as are Sano, Franklin, Rendon and Garin Cecchini. Former major leaguers that are ahead of him are Brian Bogusevic, Tim Federowicz, Ruben Rivera, Scott Van Slyke, Brandon Snyder, Zach Cox, and DJ LeMahieu. What Negrych is doing is impressive but it's still a small sample size and when you consider the .264/.357/.391 number he put up in AAA last year (which is close to his career numbers in the minors) he's not going be more than an injury backup. 30 years of watching ball is what tells me that.

GD
05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Scott van Slyke is still around? Huh.

Would someone who's good at mathz be able to run a regression on Negrych with a .300 BABIP?

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Negrych is 49th in the minors in OBP. Of the names ahead of him Buxton (19) is a legitimate prospect, as are Sano, Franklin, Rendon and Garin Cecchini. Former major leaguers that are ahead of him are Brian Bogusevic, Tim Federowicz, Ruben Rivera, Scott Van Slyke, Brandon Snyder, Zach Cox, and DJ LeMahieu. What Negrych is doing is impressive but it's still a small sample size and when you consider the .264/.357/.391 number he put up in AAA last year (which is close to his career numbers in the minors) he's not going be more than an injury backup. 30 years of watching ball is what tells me that.

what about my neighbor Miguel "Boqueton" Sano?

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
listening to the Dunedin game right now. Not a mention of Jimenez. Maybe when the catcher comes to plate we'll get something.

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
what about my neighbor Miguel "Boqueton" Sano?

he was listed in the legit prospects part.

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Esmil's Brother, Cano and Sano. I took the pic.

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 06:38 PM
he was listed in the legit prospects part.

Sano "I'll take only 200 AB in A-ball, then they'll send me to AA-ball"

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Scott van Slyke is still around? Huh.

Would someone who's good at mathz be able to run a regression on Negrych with a .300 BABIP?

Van Slyke is only 26. 23 for 76 with a .300 BABIP. so .292. He has a history as a good Line Drive hitter so I expect a solid BABIP from him. He's an okay ball player and he should get his opportunity this year to be in the bigs. People should just temper their expectations, a la Randy Ruiz

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Esmil's Brother, Cano and Sano. I took the pic.

He looks older than Cano

GD
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Van Slyke is only 26. 23 for 76 with a .300 BABIP. so .292. He has a history as a good Line Drive hitter so I expect a solid BABIP from him. He's an okay ball player and he should get his opportunity this year to be in the bigs. People should just temper their expectations, a la Randy Ruiz

I'd probably expect a ~.330 wOBA with like a .270 average.

GD
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Hurl you heard what's up with Jimenez yet?

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Hurl you heard what's up with Jimenez yet?

Not a word. Chung even had an AB.

GD
05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Not a word. Chung even had an AB.

Ugh, this is pissing me off. It's not like he's promoted, I don't think. Weird.

Jimcanuck
05-08-2013, 07:21 PM
if there has been no announcement, maybe something day to day not worth reporting... like the flu

we can hope

GD
05-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Nothing on twitter on him.

I'm desperate to get rid of JPA and have Jimenez up so this is worrying.

GD
05-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Yikes...Norris

Was it just the 3 run homer? Only 1 K 1 BB so far.

Jimcanuck
05-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Update

Pillar CF 2-3, .336 Avg

over/under on pillar sept callup?

GD
05-08-2013, 07:32 PM
over/under on pillar sept callup?

Not sure you can put an O/U on a percentage but I'd say probably about a 60% chance we see him this Sept

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Daniel Norrisbust
1.1I, 7h, 6ER, walh, K

GD
05-08-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm probably his biggest fan on this board and still love the kid, but.. it's not boding well for him.

theblujay
05-08-2013, 08:04 PM
What's going on with Deck? We could use him right now...

GD
05-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Couple shitty outings, couple nice ones. Still Buehrle-esque.

GD
05-08-2013, 08:13 PM
... Elbow... after TJS...

OH FOR FUCKING SHIT'S SAKES WHAT THE HELL?

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Can't throw his fastball for strike. He still young and have a wide repertoire.

GeorgiaPeach
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Nothing on twitter on him.

I'm desperate to get rid of JPA and have Jimenez up so this is worrying.

So am I, but if you think its happening this year, you're fucked.

GD
05-08-2013, 08:27 PM
So am I, but if you think its happening this year, you're fucked.

No, obviously not this year, but I was hoping before 2016. His development is really getting fucked up, though.

GeorgiaPeach
05-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Here's the guidelines I follow

Preferably nothing over 24 in AAA
nothing over 23 in AA
nothing over 22 in A+
nothing over 21 in A

GeorgiaPeach
05-08-2013, 08:33 PM
No, obviously not this year, but I was hoping before 2016. His development is really getting fucked up, though.

How so? He suffered an injury and is making his way back.

GD
05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
How so? He suffered an injury and is making his way back.

Fairly serious injury, needed TJS. And now he has a potential elbow injury coming back from TJS?

It's worrying.

GeorgiaPeach
05-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Fairly serious injury, needed TJS. And now he has a potential elbow injury coming back from TJS?

It's worrying.

After a guy comes back from a pretty siginificant injury, wouldn't it be expected there may be some minor setbacks/soreness/days missed? Its not like guys should be going full bore or be expected to perform as they did immediately from being off for an extended period of time.

GD
05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
After a guy comes back from a pretty siginificant injury, wouldn't it be expected there may be some minor setbacks/soreness/days missed? Its not like guys should be going full bore or be expected to perform as they did immediately from being off for an extended period of time.

Yeah, minor setbacks, but knowing this team, this probably isn't minor, that's what I'm worrying about. I'm worried he's going to miss an extended period of time.

GD
05-08-2013, 09:03 PM
FYI, the guy who posted the tweet about Jimenez description:
"Writing about the Blue Jays for www.battersbox.ca with a focus on the minor leagues"

No idea where he got his information about AJ, this was the first tweet I saw about it

Not sure if he's a credible source or not

Let's hope not.

Justin Jackson pitching for lansing so far,
0.2 IP 1H 1ER 3BB

Pitching Change: Justin Jackson replaces Chuck Ghysels.
Wagner Gomez grounds out, first baseman Kellen Sweeney to pitcher Justin Jackson.
Beau Amaral grounds out, pitcher Justin Jackson to first baseman Kellen Sweeney.
Zach Vincej singles on a ground ball to left fielder Dwight Smith.
With Robert Ramirez batting, wild pitch by Justin Jackson, Zach Vincej to 2nd.
Robert Ramirez walks.
Jeff Gelalich walks. Zach Vincej to 3rd. Robert Ramirez to 2nd.
Jesse Winker walks. Zach Vincej scores. Robert Ramirez to 3rd. Jeff Gelalich to 2nd.

Started out great, but he really fell apart after the 2 out single

Annnnd he got out of the inning with a fly ball to right field

For someone who's just starting out as a pitcher, I'm really impressed.

NJH
05-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Justin Jackson pitching for lansing so far,
0.2 IP 1H 1ER 3BB

I wonder how hard he's throwing?

GD
05-08-2013, 09:09 PM
No idea. I remember a few weeks ago on twitter the radio guy for Lansing was asked a question like that, he replied saying not to trust the stadium guns

They boost the MPH by a mile an hour or two. I know he could hit ~94 off the mound in high school.

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I wonder how hard he's throwing?

Fastball 91-94; slider 76-77

GD
05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Fastball 91-94; slider 76-77

No other pitches?

TheHurl
05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I meant to look up when the Lansing games were on. Turns out today's game was. I'm watching the end of the game but I'll watch the replay and report

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 09:48 PM
No other pitches?

Justin Jackson, RHP: Converting from SS; Fastball 91-94; slider 76-77 with lazy break; changeup 74-77; obvious arm speed reduction; fastball comes out free and easy; does not maintain front side of his mechanics; super athletic. The fastball looks like it could be something, but the secondary stuff needs massive amounts of work. Jackson will stay in extended and look to improve as a pitcher

GD
05-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Justin Jackson, RHP: Converting from SS; Fastball 91-94; slider 76-77 with lazy break; changeup 74-77; obvious arm speed reduction; fastball comes out free and easy; does not maintain front side of his mechanics; super athletic. The fastball looks like it could be something, but the secondary stuff needs massive amounts of work. Jackson will stay in extended and look to improve as a pitcher

I honestly like what I hear about him. Have there been any hitter-to-pitcher success stories?

Looking it up, Trevor Hoffman, Jimmy Foxx, Mel Queen, and Sergio Santos.

Angrioter
05-08-2013, 10:02 PM
I honestly like what I hear about him. Have there been any hitter-to-pitcher success stories?

Mel Queen helped Halladay in mechanic reconstruction process when Halladay was sent down to Dunedin 2000

SirBJay
05-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Dave Stieb.

TO1
05-08-2013, 10:42 PM
As bad as Romero was tonight in the majors, Norris gave him a run for his money for futility in the minors.

Daniel Norris (L, 0-3) 1.1 IP, 7H, 8R, 6ER, 1BB, 1SO, 1HR, 10.07 ERA. Complete waste of time yet again.

The guy is quickly becoming a non-prospect in my book. Only his last game didn't have a line that looked familiar to tonight's line. And it wasn't like he was lights out in that one either.
He's even worse this year than he was last year. I didn't think that was even possible.

GD
05-08-2013, 11:04 PM
:( Damnit Norris!

He was actually really good last year, though.

TO1
05-08-2013, 11:15 PM
:( Damnit Norris!

He was actually really good last year, though.

Your kidding right?

2012 stats - 42.2 IP, 58H, 40ER, 4HR, 18BB, 43SO, 1.78 WHIP, 8.44 ERA.

His WHIP alone made Kyle Drabek look like Greg Maddux.
Other than a K/IP what did he exactly do well in 2012? And even with that K-rate he still got shelled.

GD
05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Your kidding right?

2012 stats - 42.2 IP, 58H, 40ER, 4HR, 18BB, 43SO, 1.78 WHIP, 8.44 ERA.

His WHIP alone made Kyle Drabek look like Greg Maddux.
Other than a K/IP what did he exactly do well in 2012? And even with that K-rate he still got shelled.

~3.5 FIP, he was playing with a horrendous defense behind him, of course he got shelled.

GeorgiaPeach
05-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Where's this summary from?

GeorgiaPeach
05-08-2013, 11:31 PM

Jimmy Foxx? You're not talking HOF'er Jimmie Foxx are you? 22 innings is hardly a success story.

Sean Doolittle is a current one.

TO1
05-08-2013, 11:40 PM
~3.5 FIP, he was playing with a horrendous defense behind him, of course he got shelled.

He sucked. 58hits in 42.2 IP and almost another 4BB/9IP have little to do with defence. How is a 1.78 WHIP affected by defence?

If there are errors in the field then it doesn't show up in the hit, BB, ER or ERA column.
He's well known to fall behind guys way too often and has mechanical issues. That has nothing to do with defence.
The reason his FIP was good is that it accounts for the fact that he didn't give up a ton of HRs, but what it doesn't account for is the sheer amount of hits he gave up over 42.2IP. And that's the major flaw with FIP IMHO.

There are some poor yearly pitching performances with guys holding a good FIP (3.8 or lower) where they give up a lot of runs, but none where a guy is good with a high WHIP (1.6+).

Angrioter
05-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Where's this summary from?

Copy-paste from Dr_Dinger

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
He sucked. 58hits in 42.2 IP and almost another 4BB/9IP have little to do with defence. How is a 1.78 WHIP affected by defence?

If there are errors in the field then it doesn't show up in the hit, BB, ER or ERA column.
He's well known to fall behind guys way too often and has mechanical issues. That has nothing to do with defence.
The reason his FIP was good is that it accounts for the fact that he didn't give up a ton of HRs, but what it doesn't account for is the sheer amount of hits he gave up over 42.2IP. And that's the major flaw with FIP IMHO.

There are some poor yearly pitching performances with guys holding a good FIP (3.8 or lower) where they give up a lot of runs, but none where a guy is good with a high WHIP (1.6+).

You really just didn't ask how a high WHIP is affected by bad defence did you?

If you have the same pitcher for these two different situations tell me which one will have a higher WHIP over the course of a year:

#1-the pitcher has 8 fielders behind him who have very good range, arms, etc. (errors don't matter)
#2-the same pitcher has 8 fielders behind him who have very little range and weak arms. (errors don't matter)

my guess is pitcher #2 is gonna have a higher WHIP, but that's just me.

GD
05-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Gose 0-4 4 Ks 1 BB

God fucking damnit

At least.. uh... he had a walk?

Olerud363
05-09-2013, 05:38 PM
For Roy Halladay in the middle of his best 4 year run... we get

1 toolshed who can't hit.
1 goof pitcher in between his first and second Tommy John.
0.5 38 year old knucleballers with a 5something era.

As always these situations are in flux... maybe we can hope this is the low point of the Halladay return.

GD
05-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB now
Osuna has a tear in his right elbow. Could be a candidate for Tommy John but club will wait and see how initial rehab goes. #BlueJays

WHAT THE FUCK? THiS IS WHAT I MEAN. WOW.

I mean, at least it's not his shoulder?

TheHurl
05-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB now
Osuna has a tear in his right elbow. Could be a candidate for Tommy John but club will wait and see how initial rehab goes. #BlueJays

That sucks.

TO1
05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
God fucking damnit

At least.. uh... he had a walk?

At least he's been consistent this week 16K vs 2 BB. His pitch recognition is shit. Everything looks like a FB to him. Why anyone throws this kid anything more than breaking pitches I'll never know. He'll never be a good hitter. You can't teach pitch recognition. You either have it or you don't.

GD
05-09-2013, 06:16 PM
@halladayfan32: @RobertoOsuna1 good to here look forward to hearing your back playing roberto

@RobertoOsuna1: @halladayfan32 i'm ready , i can't wait to pitch again hope to do it soon

@RobertoOsuna1: All is well .. I hope to be back soon and thanks to everyone .

.... ?

That's... a bit weird.

theblujay
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Can't believe Osuna is hurt. This club reaches a new low everyday lol.

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 06:21 PM
For Roy Halladay in the middle of his best 4 year run... we get

1 toolshed who can't hit.
1 goof pitcher in between his first and second Tommy John.
0.5 38 year old knucleballers with a 5something era.

As always these situations are in flux... maybe we can hope this is the low point of the Halladay return.

You forgot the 20 mill in salary we were able to allocate elsewhere.

GeorgiaPeach
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
At least he's been consistent this week 16K vs 2 BB. His pitch recognition is shit. Everything looks like a FB to him. Why anyone throws this kid anything more than breaking pitches I'll never know. He'll never be a good hitter. You can't teach pitch recognition. You either have it or you don't.

Would still rather have him patrolling CF than Rasmus.

theblujay
05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Interview with Osuna

http://www.lansinglugnuts.com/PRESS/INTERVIEWS/2013/Osuna4-29.mp3

Thanks

Angrioter
05-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Also this from Angrioter

He fucking lied to me. He asked me what car to buy.

Angrioter
05-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Dwight Smith, Jr. is 3-for-3: a 3B and 1B vs. Johnny Cueto

GD
05-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Dwight Smith, Jr. is 3-for-3: a 3B and 1B vs. Johnny Cueto

Hahaha, actually? I thought he was in bust territory. Where is he, Lansing?

Angrioter
05-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Hahaha, actually? I thought he was in bust territory. Where is he, Lansing?

Lansing

ElNik2013
05-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Kevin Pillar
3/5 3R 2 doubles

Gotta give the guy credit, he may be older, but he keeps on hitting. How about this Andy Burns guy in Dunedin? He's got more BB's than K's, he'll probably get released for this.

GD
05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Burns and Pillar are studs

Angrioter
05-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Burns and Pillar are studs

older than the other kids.

GD
05-09-2013, 11:17 PM
older than the other kids.

They can be 80, if they can hit they can hit

ElNik2013
05-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Let's see Pillar get promoted to Buffalo and see who does better between him and Gose. Pillar got drafted in 2011, what is he supposed to do, stop trying? Pillar to AAA and Burns to AA I say, no one is saying they're #1 prospects.

GD
05-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Let's see Pillar get promoted to Buffalo and see who does better between him and Gose. Pillar got drafted in 2011, what is he supposed to do, stop trying? Pillar to AAA and Burns to AA I say, no one is saying they're #1 prospects.

Agreed. They could easily be useful major leaguers. Just because they're not 19 and tearing up AAA doesn't mean they aren't valuable.

Angrioter
05-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Agreed. They could easily be useful major leaguers. Just because they're not 19 and tearing up AAA doesn't mean they aren't valuable.

Ala Jose Tabata

GD
05-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Ala Jose Tabata

Jose Tabata sucks ass

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Watched the New Hampshire vs. Trenton game, will catch the Lansing game now before heading to bed. I took some notes

Deck McGuire - Biggest difference in him from everything I have ever heard about him...he works super fast. Last year he was one of the slowest working pitchers and almost every scout and radio host noted it. In the first they hit him solid, Tyler Austin smacked a ball off of him but Schimpf made a great reaction play at third. From the second through 5th he worked the ball down and away consistently. Trenton made weak weak contact and the hits he gave up with infield or seeing eye. He threw two fastballs to Slade Heathcote that if they weren't in around 93 at least, then they were deceptive and seemed faster than they are. He really likes to throw first pitch curveball, quite a few got away from him but he wasn't awful with it. When men are on he slows down a bit again and doesn't look as effective. In the 6th they hit him hard again, he was only at 95 pitches when they pulled him so he shouldn't have been tired. He was hurt by defense in this inning though as Pillar misplayed a ball badly which led to an RBI double.

Kevin Pillar - quick hands, a really armsy swing. Doesn't use his lower half much at all. Looks awful on high FB's because of it. His hit in the first was solid, his double in the 8th was an inside out swing which blooped and he hustled to second as Tyler Austin loafed a little, the second double was a single down the line that hit the left field wall and went away from the OF. He blew the play in centre in the 6th. He reminds me of an effort guy in CF but I'm guessing he's not a CF full time in the bigs ever.

Sean Ochinko - Was the most impressive Fisher Cat by far in this game. He blocked about 7 balls in the dirt, threw out a runner stealing and hit a monster HR. You can see his swing is long but he was pretty patient out there.

Ryan Schimpf - Two really nice plays at third, but man is that swing long. I can see he'll hit it a tonne but I'm guessing his contact rates won't ever be good.

Evan Crawford - Wasn't anywhere near the glove, stuff looked good but I wouldn't be confident he could throw strikes.

Joel Carreno - Threw a few nice splitters or that's what the announcers thought they were. They looked good...but then he kept throwing these soft sliders. They were hammering them.

And a couple of Yankee prospects. Tyler Austin looked really good at the plate but twice was lazy looking in right. Slade Heathcote had a play where Loewen went to 2nd on him and his throw bounced about 5 times on a short throw. Might have surprised him but certainly looked ugly. The announcers kept talking about how he's heating up of late but he swung at a lot of stuff no where close.

GD
05-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Isn't Sean Ochinko like 27?

Caper
05-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Will Deck make it to TO this year.... Or ever?

GD
05-10-2013, 07:54 AM

I'd bet he makes a spot start or two. It'd be amazing for him to be anywhere near what we thought he could be.

Angrioter
05-10-2013, 09:36 AM
He's 25, will be 26 in October

Nothing to see here.

theblujay
05-10-2013, 11:16 AM
So what is keep Deck from starting for the Jays instead of Ramon Ortiz and who ever will pitch in Happ's place?

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 11:28 AM
So what is keep Deck from starting for the Jays instead of Ramon Ortiz and who ever will pitch in Happ's place?

Zero need, clearly still working on things. MLB players probably won't swing at nearly as much of his stuff, which means he has to hit those corners. He's not on the 40 man yet and unlike Ortiz if he pitches badly you probably don't want to just dump him for the next guy...and if you DFA Deck he's not clearing waivers.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 01:35 PM
one of the things I forgot to mention about the Trenton team...they have a dog as a bat boy. he comes out and picks up bats and brings them back to the dugout.

dineke
05-10-2013, 01:51 PM

He's complete shit... so I hope not.

SirBJay
05-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Minor League ball has a report on the best players this year with and without an age adjustment.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/10/4317672/gapper-report-5-10-13

Some notables:

Andy Burns is 16th on best hitters with age adjustment included.

He's also 2nd on the top 20 w/o age adjustment, Pillar is 9th and Negrych is 16th

Aaron Sanchez is 2nd, Osuna is 12th and Syndergaard is 16th :( on best pitchers with age adjustment

Lastly, Carreno is 4th and a pitcher not mentioned here who plays for the Bisons; Neil Wagner is 11th.

CHRIS
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
He's complete shit... so I hope not.

Well, he's certainly no Ramon Ortiz. #fabfour

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Lansing vs. Dayton Thursday game notes

Pompey - is an all hands guy, Too loopy of a swing to be successful

Smith Jr. - Makes Lawrie look like a statue out there. Way too much prep movement for my liking. When he does swing it's a nice level swing, his swing doesn't match the stats to date in my mind. I don't see him being a super low line drive guy. His leg kick isn't quite as prolific as I heard so I'm guessing he's cut it down. I can see him developing a bit more power but not enough to make him a corner OF threat. So he has to be a CF (can't speak for the defense specifically as I didn't see him make a play) or a 4th OF, not sure what happened to the experiment of him trying 2B but I'd like him a lot more if he added more positions. Appears to be a very smart ball player too.

Lopes - I look at him in the batter's box and he just looks like a major league star. He's a fucking statue in there and focused. Swings down a little bit but it might have to do more with situation as Smith was on base in scoring position for his early AB's. He obviously doesn't take quite enough pitches which is surprising for a guy with his AB approach. Didn't get to see the defense at all, but if it can be even close to good (which it is said to be) he'll be a major league 2B someday...very Brandon Phillips light all around.

Hawkins - Announcers had a nice conversation about Hawkins talking about what a different hitter Hawkins is this year and they asked about the change, Hawkins told them that management has told him that he's a corner OF (which he doesn't poorly) or DH and he's going to have to develop more power to match his size if he's going to make it. He has not been effective since the change. He looks good in the box, he just swings hard at everything. He doesn't miss the ball all that much, I think he must need more bottom half. Best case scenario is that he becomes a Garrett Jones type.

Avendano - most disappointing guy I saw. The few times they mentioned his FB it was 91 or 92. He threw every single FB up in the zone. At one point he threw 6 straight curveballs and it looks good. Can't say I saw a change up. He didn't fool many guys and for a guy that's about biting the corners I didn't see him hit a bat.

Cueto - Steady diet of curveballs for the most part. When he did throw the FB it was up around 94. He'll be fine

Guillon - Major league stuff for sure. I can see why he's on the Reds 40 man still. He just can't control his stuff. Completely impressed though, will be interesting to see if he can get the control around a little. He'll make a great reliever if he can.

Jesse Winker - Most impressive guy on the field. Queue him into every watch list, he's going to be a top 50 prospect shortly...and that might be underrating him.

ByronBlaze
05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-may-10-christian-yelich-keeps-lining-lasers/

A Lugnut is mentioned this week!

SirBJay
05-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Hurl, did Hawkins look like a free swinger to you?

GD
05-10-2013, 04:08 PM
What exactly is Burns' ceiling? 2nd division starter? He's such a weird case.

Loving the report on Lopes, though, he's one of my favorite prospects, been riding that bandwagon for a WHILE. If Datdude-lite is his ceiling.. damn lol.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Hurl, did Hawkins look like a free swinger to you?

hard to tell off of one game but he took Cueto`s breaking stuff and waited on a FB. he turned nicely on it just line out to RF. While I understand why management would tell him that they expect a 230 lbs. guy who can`t defend to develop more power but since these changes he`s suddenly a .230 hitter rather than the .300 guy he was looking like he could be...especially since there is no evident power increase.

GeorgiaPeach
05-10-2013, 04:24 PM
hard to tell off of one game but he took Cueto`s breaking stuff and waited on a FB. he turned nicely on it just line out to RF. While I understand why management would tell him that they expect a 230 lbs. guy who can`t defend to develop more power but since these changes he`s suddenly a .230 hitter rather than the .300 guy he was looking like he could be...especially since there is no evident power increase.

Why can't the Jays just let hitters be who they are??

Holy fuck.

TheHurl
05-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Negrych getting intentionally walked after a Gose SB. So much fun watching Jumbo Diaz pitching. He's got to be 350 lbs.

Angrioter
05-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Negrych getting intentionally walked after a Gose SB. So much fun watching Jumbo Diaz pitching. He's got to be 350 lbs.

three digit fastball