PDA

View Full Version : Official JaysTalk with Mike Wilner Thread

GD
05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Figured a JaysTalk thread was necessary lol.

I'm assuming many fans are back on the bandwagon, should be a good one today.

Chappy
05-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Watch him be all smug about this win.

dineke
05-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Figured a JaysTalk thread was necessary lol.

I'm assuming many fans are back on the bandwagon, should be a good one today.

Listening to Wilner after a win is worse than listening to him after a lost.

GD
05-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Ugh, he's just so fucking condescending.

"There's all kinds of time left"

UGH

GD
05-05-2013, 04:33 PM
"This is like arguing with a wall." Fuck you, Mike

oakville69
05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
OK, I didn't see the other Wilner thread. I love it when Wilner corrects corrects the callers grammar.

willhs14
05-11-2013, 05:05 PM
OK, I didn't see the other Wilner thread. I love it when Wilner corrects corrects the callers grammar.

Wilner: "you said corrects twice."

declan_44
05-11-2013, 05:13 PM
> +1

eastcoastjaysfan
05-11-2013, 05:25 PM
What is Wilner the Walrus going on about today

dmrich28
05-11-2013, 05:26 PM

nothing really..he only had time for 2 calls

Atothe
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM

He's gonna eat about 6 bowls of clam chowder and cry in his hotel

Slade
05-11-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't get the hate for Wilner, he's actually one of the most level headed and rational radio personalities on the fan. He definitely has a condescending tone but I'd say it justified by the amount of ignorant callers he gets.

He says stupid things from time to time like JPA being a "fine" catcher and he can definitely be stubborn hearing arguments against his, but he usually puts his ignorant callers in their place most of the time.

SirBJay
05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't get the hate for Wilner, he's actually one of the most level headed and rational radio personalities on the fan. He definitely has a condescending tone but I'd say it justified by the amount of ignorant callers he gets.

He says stupid things from time to time like JPA being a "fine" catcher and he can definitely be stubborn hearing arguments against his, but he usually puts his ignorant callers in their place most of the time.

I used to think that at first, but then I hear legit callers with questions or concerns about the team and he just dismisses them and acts condescending towards them unwarranted. It's even worse since he's become almost as a blatant homer as raysjays and will stick to his egregious opinions no matter how wrong and how stupid they are.

declan_44

I think it's because he does it with a self-belief of a former player where everyone knows he has never played a sport in his life. He is like every talk radio personality in the world. They can talk about a diffuse number of subjects constantly and when they are called out for being demonstrably stupid, they can find some tiny mistake in the caller, interrupt and focus on that.

BTW, never called Jays talk, but I does listen to an unhealthy amount of talk radio on 88.9.

oakville69
Wilner's defense of Coco Codera last year was inexcusable.

GD
05-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I kinda want to call in and quote some advanced stat like xFIP and see how he reacts.

SirBJay
05-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I kinda want to call in and quote some advanced stat like xFIP and see how he reacts.

LOL been there, "you don't have a very good understanding of advanced metrics to explain why the Bluejays make the moves they do."

WAT.

GD
05-11-2013, 09:44 PM
LOL been there, "you don't have a very good understanding of advanced metrics to explain why the Bluejays make the moves they do."

WAT.

Wait, you called in and he said this to you? JEEBUS.

Slade
05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Wilner's defense of Coco Codera last year was inexcusable.

Oh yea i remember that, that was pretty inexcusable. Like i said though he says stupid things at times and he should get called out on those especially when he refuses to acknowledge legitimate counter arguments but for 95% of his callers I think his attitude is warranted. I don't think he's said anything ridiculous so far this season although I've missed several post game shows. If he has I'm sure we could come up with a rational argument and present it to him just to see what we get back.

I would totally dismiss Wilner if he completely shot down a rational well presented argument.

Tuco
05-11-2013, 10:09 PM
It's definitely the condescending tone, added with the fact he argues just for the sake of arguing.

One week he'll be using one side of a argument, then the next he will flip over and take the opposite side just because it fits into his agenda.

GeorgiaPeach
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM

We should get a night where the forum bombards him with calls and trolls the shit out of him. And we use our screen names as our call in names.

GD
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
We should get a night where the forum bombards him with calls and trolls the shit out of him. And we use our screen names as our call in names.

This is actually such a great idea. I'd be down for this.

Metallijay
05-11-2013, 10:35 PM
This is actually such a great idea. I'd be down for this.

I be up for trolling Wilner.

oakville69
05-11-2013, 11:10 PM

I wuld love to do that. Wilner relies on uniformed callers so he can look smarter than he really is.

oakville69
05-11-2013, 11:11 PM
LOL!. You're right . Wilner would blast me for that :)))

Arkadium
05-11-2013, 11:20 PM
I wuld love to do that. Wilner relies on uniformed callers so he can look smarter than he really is.

I always wondered this, why is everyone who calls into Wilner's show an idiot?

Stangstag
05-11-2013, 11:41 PM
This belongs here:

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/05/26/robert-from-scarborough-and-gino-gonzalez-ftw/

Greatest Mike Wilner troll job I have seen. (From 2012)

Please listen, its awesome.

GD
05-12-2013, 12:16 AM
This belongs here:

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/05/26/robert-from-scarborough-and-gino-gonzalez-ftw/

I remember that lol. I think our board could do better.

Stangstag
05-12-2013, 01:44 AM
I remember that lol. I think our board could do better.

We really need to set up a day like Gibbers said and just troll the shit out of Mike. We just need to wait until the Leafs are out of the playoffs and we get longer jays talk.

oakville69
05-12-2013, 06:38 AM

One of the best troll calls on Wilner last year was done by someone who either posted on DJF or the old BlueJays.com board. Can't remember the screen name.

The caller said he was happy that Alan Ashby was back on the radio ( he was away for a few games). Wilner agreed. Then the caller said that Ashby was much better that the substitute they had on replace Ashby which was Wilner. Wilner replied in his whiny voice, "but that was me". It was so funny. Wilner seemed to be genuinely hurt.

A problem I have with Wilner is that he will quote small sample sizes when it's in his favor then dismiss a caller who does it when it opposes his position.

Metallijay
05-12-2013, 09:31 AM
This belongs here:

It was funny, but was a terrible troll job, that dude was an idiot. Buerhle right handed lol.

GD
05-12-2013, 10:00 AM
It was funny, but was a terrible troll job, that dude was an idiot. Buerhle right handed lol.

Yeah, that's the point lol.

Stangstag
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM

The guy obviously knew the correct names of the players and which arm they throw with.

declan_44
05-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I am not sure if we have the organization for such an undertaking. /b/ at 4chan have had some success at trolling call ins but you'd never convince them to do this.

It would have to be an uninteresting game vs an uninteresting team, so hopefully smaller audience and fewer callers. Maybe one of the games vs Colorado?

Stangstag
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I am not sure if we have the organization for such an undertaking. /b/ at 4chan have had some success at trolling call ins but you'd never convince them to do this.

It would have to be an uninteresting game vs an uninteresting team, so hopefully smaller audience and fewer callers. Maybe one of the games vs Colorado?

Maybe the Astros

declan_44
05-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Maybe the Astros

It's a home series against them, probably smaller audience for road game.

GD
05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
We'd need a lot of posters to confirm they'd do it.

Boxcar
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
First caller on today's Jaystalk:

"I would trade Ricky Romero, can I say my proposal?"

"Go ahead"

"I would trade him to San Diego for Andrew Cashner and Jason Marquis."

"Why would San Diego do that?"

"Because I watched Cashner and he has an AMAZING fastball!"

lolol

Literally first caller: http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/blue_jays_this_week/bjtw_20130512_173944--BlueJaysTalk---May-12---Sunday.mp3

GD
05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
*ducks head because I advocated trading for Cashner*

I promise that wasn't me lol.

Boxcar
05-12-2013, 08:53 PM
*ducks head because I advocated trading for Cashner*

I promise that wasn't me lol.

Hell, I'd advocate trading for Cashner, but why the hell would SD trade him for freaking Ricky Romero?

GD
05-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Hell, I'd advocate trading for Cashner, but why the hell would SD trade him for freaking Ricky Romero?

I'd really like Cashner too, but I'm smart enough to realize Romero =/= Cashner lol. I'd assume it'd take something good like D.J. Davis and/or Alford or something like that.

dineke
05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

"Go ahead"

lolol

Literally first caller: http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/blue_jays_this_week/bjtw_20130512_173944--BlueJaysTalk---May-12---Sunday.mp3

ah Imagine what Ricky would have netted 2 years ago after his career year. Now he's dead weight at 8 mil a year.

Slade
05-12-2013, 11:02 PM

"Go ahead"

lolol

That's what I'm talking about so much ignorance from his callers, it's no wonder he talks down to all of them.

oakville69
05-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I have a suspicion that the screener allows a few ignorant callers through to make for an entertaining Jays Talk. On the other hand there could be many dumb fans.

dmrich28
05-12-2013, 11:55 PM
You realize they let these calls through so Wilner sounds good right? He doesn't stand a chance with a caller with half a brain.

GD
05-12-2013, 11:57 PM
How does calling in work? Do you get screened?

Chappy
05-13-2013, 12:11 AM
How does calling in work? Do you get screened?

They just ask you what your question is and then put you on hold.

GD
05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
They just ask you what your question is and then put you on hold.

If you tell them your question and then ask something else will they disconnect you?

I'd really like to troll Wilner, lol.

Chappy
05-13-2013, 12:34 AM
If you tell them your question and then ask something else will they disconnect you?

I'd really like to troll Wilner, lol.

Probably, lol.

GD
05-13-2013, 12:44 AM
I really like the idea of the board ganging up and trolling Wilner, I think we should try it.

declan_44
05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
We should have a theme. Choose two to three Jays issues to tell the screener, then everyone call him Mark. When he tries to say his name, respond by saying that you've never heard of him and to not be so uppity, he runs a call in show, not a baseball team.

Caper
05-13-2013, 06:26 AM
You realize they let these calls through so Wilner sounds good right? He doesn't stand a chance with a caller with half a brain.

What do you mean he doesn't stand a chance against a caller with half a brain? What would the caller with half a brain say that Wilner wouldn't have a chance on?

Caper
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
I really like the idea of the board ganging up and trolling Wilner, I think we should try it.

So everyone wants to start a new board because everyone hates trolls.... so we can organize and become trolls?

declan_44
05-13-2013, 06:38 AM
So everyone wants to start a new board because everyone hates trolls.... so we can organize and become trolls?

Against Wilner? Come on man. And do you think the next time the Jays sweep a series the board won't be trolling the other team's board? Welcome to the internetz.

GD
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM

Oi this is just a whole new level of wrong

Caper
05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Oi this is just a whole new level of wrong

Really? What was the old level of wrong?

Stangstag
05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
We should have a theme. Choose two to three Jays issues to tell the screener, then everyone call him Mark. When he tries to say his name, respond by saying that you've never heard of him and to not be so uppity, he runs a call in show, not a baseball team.

Yes. Always call him Mark.

I have some ideas for conversation:
- We should have traded Lawrie in the offseason because he sucks.
- Suggest that Encarnacion should move to 3rd base, Lawrie to 2nd
- We should trade for Albert Pujols because the angels are struggling
- We should have signed Zack Greinke, because our rotation sucks
- Why didn't we trade for Vernon Wells? He is doing way better than Melky Cabrera.

Lol

Caper
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
- Suggest that Encarnacion should move to 3rd base, Lawrie to 2nd

I was actually at work once posting on the old game zone board, Wilner would post on. I was suggesting EE should be the new 2nd baseman.... Wilner actually interupted the broadcast to tell me how stupid I was.

Also... As for the rest of your ideas... You'll hear that on a regular jays talk.

Chappy
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I was actually at work once posting on the old game zone board, Wilner would post on. I was suggesting EE should be the new 2nd baseman.... Wilner actually interupted the broadcast to tell me how stupid I was.

That is actually pretty funny, lol.

Olerud363
05-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Mike. I think we need Cito Gaston back. It is risky so I have an idea that we start Cito as interim hitting coach?? Announce that it is just until Reyes comes back. I know Cito doesn't work well with young players, so send Lawrie and Rasmus down and replace them with Derosa and Rajai Davis, who both could work great with Cito.

Keep in mind we say this is only temporary until Reyes comes back. If it works we could promote Cito to manager when Reyes comes back. If it doesn't work Cito goes back to retirement, and we get Chad Mottolo back, and call Lawrie, Rasmus up. There's really no risk since we aren't expected to play well until Reyes comes back anyway.

So this is just a plan to sort of test and see if Cito could manage again. What do you think?? It sort of has an escape hatch if it doesn't work.

Stangstag
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Mike. I think we need Cito Gaston back. It is risky so I have an idea that we start Cito as interim hitting coach?? Announce that it is just until Reyes comes back. I know Cito doesn't work well with young players, so send Lawrie and Rasmus down and replace them with Derosa and Rajai Davis, who both could work great with Cito.

Keep in mind we say this is only temporary until Reyes comes back. If it works we could promote Cito to manager when Reyes comes back. If it doesn't work Cito goes back to retirement, and we get Chad Mottolo back, and call Lawrie, Rasmus up. There's really no risk since we aren't expected to play well until Reyes comes back anyway.

So this is just a plan to sort of test and see if Cito could manage again. What do you think?? It sort of has an escape hatch if it doesn't work.

Lol nice. That actually made me angry

GD
05-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Really? What was the old level of wrong?

Probably something High85 said

Also... As for the rest of your ideas... You'll hear that on a regular jays talk.

That wasn't a serious suggestion, right?

I remember those live chats with Wilner. The idiots that posted there made him look good.

backontop
06-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Mike putting a PHONY POSITIVE BLUE JAYS spin on everything not is only an insult to any man with an IQ above 79, but it makes for bad sports talk. No intelligent sports fans will call into this show, so we get stupid callers only, now at the 81 game mark, no more listening to Mike after the game for me. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! I may check it out once in September to see if any changes have been made, but to make this show great, a different host IS A MUST! This show could be a great show or a stanker, it depends on if the host has the brains to know what makes a good baseball talk show. There is hope that Rogers may promote this guy to two more innings of play by play next year, hopefully Mike will then think that he is so big that he can quit "Talking up Blue Jays".