PDA

View Full Version : JPA Troll Post

connorp
05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Been a long time since I had a troll post.. but in seriousness, 1.6% BB rate and all.. JPA on pace in fWAR to provide starting level C production at his current salary of $500k/year, clearly leading the team in $/WAR as well.. as his pitch framing numbers this season don't suggest subtracting any value, fWAR has to be taken at face value.

Is it sustainable?.. or what will regress? Also, on a $120m payroll team that has gone completely bust, how much is actually this guy's fault?

connorp
05-29-2013, 06:06 PM
While not likely, it's conceivable his power production could continue through a season (30+ hrs, .500slg).. his BB% rate certainly cant go anywhere but up and is at obvious career low.

connorp
05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
He was up to 0.7 WAR 40 games ago. He'll be back at 0.3 before he hits 1.

For shits-and-giggles.. let me rephrase.. if JPA does manage to put up a 1.5-2 WAR season and nothing alarming shows up in pitch framing numbers.. do you change your tune?

Also, last month it was fairly obviously that JPA wasn't going to be a 4-5 WAR C.. but this pace is more in line with possible reasonable progressions for a 3rd year player.

connorp
05-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah but one of your main points of reference is most likely BP which is calling him average this year

SirBJay
05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Maybe if reliable framing numbers come out that say he's average. Everything I've heard suggests his framing has been like (-)10-20 runs per season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pitch framing numbers are exact and place him at say, -15 runs...his overall WAR with that incorporated would be at -0.8 or something right?

SirBJay
05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Maybe if reliable framing numbers come out that say he's average. Everything I've heard suggests his framing has been like (-)10-20 runs per season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pitch framing numbers are exact and place him at say, -15 runs...his overall WAR with that incorporated would be at -0.8 or something right?

GD
05-29-2013, 07:05 PM

Pitch framing numbers on him from Mike Fast is -12 runs. That's over his career.

IronLadle
05-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Can't believe you haven't been crucified for this yet. I've defended the guy all year which pains me because I don't really like him (seems arrogant).

Somebody on here adamantly stated not signing Russell Martin was a mistake and I thought 8.5 million for a guy who hit .211 last year, you can't be serious. Until AA does something stupid like re-sign J.P for over 8 million he's a bargain for the power he brings to the line-up and a decent option at a very thin position.

SirBJay
05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Can't believe you haven't been crucified for this yet. I've defended the guy all year which pains me because I don't really like him (seems arrogant).

Somebody on here adamantly stated not signing Russell Martin was a mistake and I thought 8.5 million for a guy who hit .211 last year, you can't be serious. Until AA does something stupid like re-sign J.P for over 8 million he's a bargain for the power he brings to the line-up and a decent option at a very thin position.

His atrocious defense pretty much negates the power he does have. Plus, Martin still had a better OBP and power numbers just as good as JPA with plus defense behind the plate.

Metallijay
05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
I hate JP, that is all.

connorp
05-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Well, you quoted "avg".. so that's why you would get trounced on it. RM was unlucky in that department. Clearly an upgrade from JPA but you're assuming you could get a FA to come here and for two, at this point, it would be putting lipstick on a pig. Real big task ahead if the team doesn't turn it around. I do support bringing Thole up as the platoon. Very dumb not to and everyone would get to see what we have as an alternative. But if he's anything like 2012, that will be a harsh 7-9 following DeRosa.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes. Fast had him at -13 runs (-1.3 WAR) over 2010 and 2011 (only 1 season of defensive innings - 1100). And there are rumblings that other analyses not released to the public have him even worse. Its kind of a take-it-or-leave-it number at this point, but I see his career ~0.75 fWAR/120 games being below replacement level in reality.

Is it really that out of realm of possibility that JP is the worst player in the league?

SirBJay
05-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Delmon Young?

Cue miltstar.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Did something happen to Jeff Francoeur?

He's had decent seasons before though, it's at least possible he contributes even a replacement level season, which would still be greater than JPA's contributions.

Delmon Young?

Cue miltstar.

Very plausible.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
He could be one of the very worst regulars. It would be kind of awesome to see fangraphs adopt framing into their catcher D, and JPA's career fWAR drop to like -3 with no seasons above replacement-level.

The only thing is, though, wouldn't they then adjust their positional adjustment values to compensate for the added dimension of difficulty? That would probably give JPA some more leeway.

saskjayfan
05-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Been a long time since I had a troll post.. but in seriousness, 1.6% BB rate and all.. JPA on pace in fWAR to provide starting level C production at his current salary of $500k/year, clearly leading the team in $/WAR as well.. as his pitch framing numbers this season don't suggest subtracting any value, fWAR has to be taken at face value.

Is it sustainable?.. or what will regress? Also, on a $120m payroll team that has gone completely bust, how much is actually this guy's fault?

JPA's defensive liabilities are grossly over exaggerated by many posters who hate the guy on this board. His defense on the whole has been better this year, especially when you consider 3 of his 6 passed balls came in his first ball game with Dickey pitching. The dude needs to improve his approach at the plate, but on the whole a .745 OPS isn't terrible considering his defense has improved over last year. He's capable of more offensively and needs to quit being so stubborn with his approach, but he's not far off where I expected him to be. Some of the pitching on the other hand is miles off where it should be. There are a lot of other players that should be held to account for their play before JPA.

SirBJay
05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
I love Jeff Francoeur, but only because he's a perfect testament to GMDM's idiocy. Against all odds, Francoeur puts up 2.6 fWAR in 2011 at the age of 27. Does GMDM trade him at the deadline? No. Of course not. He hands him a 2-year $13.5 million extension. Francoeur has since provided (-)2.1 fWAR.

Fool, GMDM didn't trade him cause he has such a great personality on and off the field. For fucks sake, the man is so great that he buys pizza for Oakland A's fans and plays catch with little kids in the upper decks of stadiums. You cannot understand such greatness.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
JPA's defensive liabilities are grossly over exaggerated by many posters who hate the guy on this board. His defense on the whole has been better this year, especially when you consider 3 of his 6 passed balls came in his first ball game with Dickey pitching. The dude needs to improve his approach at the plate, but on the whole a .745 OPS isn't terrible considering his defense has improved over last year. He's capable of more offensively and needs to quit being so stubborn with his approach, but he's not far off where I expected him to be. Some of the pitching on the other hand is miles off where it should be. There are a lot of other players that should be held to account for their play before JPA.

You seem like a raysjays alt, but you aren't, because I saw you on the old board a little. You were never this positive though. Weird. It's not just his passed ball we hate on, there is statistical evidence he cannot catch a baseball. Also, a .745 OPS is fucking terrible, considering that his defense 'improving' to a point where he's not even replacement level is considered a positive.

TheHurl
05-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I'll keep saying what I've said all year. He has to almost break the AL HR record for catchers (37) just to be a 1 WAR player. If some balls don't make it out of the park he's replacement level. If balls aren't leaving the park for extended times (we'll call this time when he's on the road) he's so beyond useless.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Does anybody know where to find mean league wOBA by position?

Just a basic assumption here.

>fangraphs leaderboard
>sort by position
>export data to excel
>open in excel
> =average function under the wOBA column

That's just a guess.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Fuck all that noise. I want something I can google.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mlb+average+wOBA+by+position

No, but really, there's probably nothing available on Google. I'll do it, I'm assuming you want catcher. Just a sec.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Does anybody know where to find mean league wOBA by position?

Average catcher wOBA for 2013 among all catchers with 50 PA is 0.314, rounded. JPA is actually above average by .12, but there are probably a lot of scrubs because I filtered in backups. There were 51 total catchers.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:56 PM
If I up it to all qualified catchers, it's .317 on average, rounded, so JPA is above average in wOBA by .09 in catchers or so.

GD
05-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Cool! In 2011 it was 0.307.

JPA is down to 0.318 after tonight. So we know what we all knew anyway - he's not even above-average with the bat.

Oh, he's down to .318? I saw .326 on fangraphs. So turns out among qualified catchers, he's .01 points above average on his wOBA.

His ISO is probably a fair amount above average, though.

GD
05-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Yeah, but that does't really matter. It always blows my mind that a guy with an average bat for the position (0.309 career) and obviously terrible defense (15.1 fielding runs according to rSB and rPP career) and allegedly terrible framing gets to start every day. I mean, its not even like he can rake - he's just average with the bat.

It doesn't matter, but it'll make the casuals happy.

AA probably loves him because he leads the league in boyish smiles. It's just so sad. And then you think about Russell Martin, and it gets even sadder.

magits
05-30-2013, 12:18 AM
his framing has look much better this year judging from the eye test.

Stangstag
05-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Who thinks it would be a good idea to sign McCann next year?

GD
05-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Who thinks it would be a good idea to sign McCann next year?

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000

He's exactly what we need, but we're not going to.

Frenchsoup
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I really want to know what jpa says when he goes out to the mound every 5 pitches, it's usually after a pitch he stabs at.

Frenchsoup
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Also JPA is batting a solid .186 (.186 obp as well) with risp with 1HR. Not bad for our 4/5 hitter!

Angrioter
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Delmon Young < Francouer << Betancourt

Angrioter
05-30-2013, 09:37 AM
You'll probably find a table from fangraphs for 2011.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2011-wOBA-by-Position.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/league-woba.png

connorp
05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000

He's exactly what we need, but we're not going to.

He's really not though. Yes, BC >> JPA but its not the point. $52m invested this season (as well as top prospects and solids fillers) in Dickey/Buehrle/Johnson/Romero/Morrow/Happ for a little over 1 WAR a third of the way into the season. Maybe JPA wont continue to not cost runs pitch framing this year but up to this point, it's all on the pitchers. Hate to be Captain Obvious but it's tough to gloss over that. Even minus JJ, with pay increases all those other guys are locked in next year for more than the $52m. I know that's where most of my frustration is as a fan. That's where the real GM'ing needs to happen. Not a FA signing as it is for a C with money that wont even be available.

All the projections have him as a 1-2 WAR guy this year. Not impossible that the framing numbers aren't a legit improvement from his rookie and 2nd season. You can see marked improvement on fangraphs for his D from what was an obviously atrocious rookie season behind the plate. No reason a person without bias cant take that into consideration. Realistically, you're looking at a below average C but one that makes 500k. I don't even like him that much but with all the problems this $120m team has, I don't look at spending $$ on that position until a number of other things happen. I also support having Thole as the platoon but seriously his D isn't that much better and I'm not excited about having a .066 ISO bat in a lineup that already has Boni/Izzy/Kawa in it. Not a good formula for runs.

For position players, I dislike Izzy (not to mention all other bench options) a lot more. 3/9 for replacement level at this point without anymore decline. I dislike Lind more. $7m next year for a platoon DH that OPS'd about .800 against RHP from 2010-2012. Eric Chavez was a superior option and he was worth $3m on the market. Each year we counted on his bat and got nothing. Thanks for tanking cock in April like everyone else (except for Reyes, JPA, and few others) and hitting when we were 10 games back. Will see how he finishes I guess. Also Lawrie I like a lot more personally but he's been a big disappointment with the bat. It's amplified with him because we all thought he was a franchise cornerstone (granted there is still plenty of time). Making it so you think the team needs to find another core piece somewhere to be a legit AL East contender.

At least JPA has gone into the year and done better than was expected (backed by stats) on what was supposed to be a playoff contender (if not division favorite). So I just don't see the validity of the portion of hate he gets on here this year.

connorp
05-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Also JPA is batting a solid .186 (.186 obp as well) with risp with 1HR. Not bad for our 4/5 hitter!

And when a LHP throws, who are the superior options to hit 4th and 5th? Also, if youre counting on your 500k C to be the meat-and-potatoes of your lineup.. who was never anything close to a Mauer/Wieters/Posey type prospect.. it may be time to take a peak at your roster.

Frenchsoup
05-30-2013, 02:45 PM
We have none i guess, but what really has been eating me up is jpa's game calling all year. 0-2 counts fastballs are being thrown in the zone. Here is a good example at the beginning of the year against robinson cano hes down 3-1 in the count and calls a mark buerhle fastball at 86mph on the inner half at yankee stadium with the short porch in left.... we were up 3-1 in the game and the only thing that kills us is a hr and instead of something away he feeds him, just stupid.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=26585035

Frenchsoup
05-30-2013, 02:51 PM
And we all remember this beauty 1-2 count jpa calls for a fastball......... and look where he ends up setting up.....

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=26501357

connorp
05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Bro..MB is a vet (like whole staff to start year)who makes $16m/yr this year. JPA is a glorified club hopper to him prob. MB shakes him off in blink of any eye if he wants. Save that blame for rookie/second year pitchers

Frenchsoup
05-30-2013, 03:18 PM
i don't care jpa should know how to call a game for christ sakes.

Stangstag
05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Bro..MB is a vet (like whole staff to start year)who makes $16m/yr this year. JPA is a glorified club hopper to him prob. MB shakes him off in blink of any eye if he wants. Save that blame for rookie/second year pitchers

Buehrle has stated that he will never shake off the catcher

connorp
05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Ok. I would be suprised if thats always the case. Still. Not to play the "you dont understand baseball" card with anyone... But to assume any mlb C doesnt understand you dont throw 0-2 meatballs, as was being implied, is silly. This isnt little league. You can always see what youre looking for. Find the best battery in baseball and im sure there will be 0-2, 1-2 counts during the season where theres a bad pitch that gets hit. Maybe bad location, maybe there was deception where C was setting up and where it went, etc. I would rather listen to a more evolved criticism in terms of his game calling.

How to attack batters is something the P, C, and Coaches dicuss prior to the game as well

Metallijay
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130530/yadier-molina-cardinals-michael-wacha/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

We need a real catcher.

IronLadle
06-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Why do people care more about our 500k catcher than our overpriced starting rotation? Who cost us valuable prospects.

Dude
06-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Read the SI article posted above. Something can be done about the catcher position, exactly what can you do about our starting rotation at this point in the season except put them in a position to turn things around and bring their value back up.

IronLadle
06-03-2013, 01:50 PM
What can be done about our catcher other than replace him Thole? Dickey won 20 games with Thole last year and still preferred Blanco, that tells you something about Thole.

TheHurl
06-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Why do people care more about our 500k catcher than our overpriced starting rotation? Who cost us valuable prospects.

For me, he represents the mentality of our front office. I take my anger in them out in his smug yet enchanting smile.

IronLadle
06-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I hate Dickey the most, cost us D'Arnaud and Syndergaard, 20 million dollars the next two years. Currently pitches to an ERA over 5, he's absolutely useless old man.

kgm1
06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Read the SI article posted above. Something can be done about the catcher position, exactly what can you do about our starting rotation at this point in the season except put them in a position to turn things around and bring their value back up.

I would say you hit the nail on the head except we don't have a starting rotation that has a large enough sample size of JPA catching them except for Buehrle and he did just as bad with Blanco catching him .

We all agree JPA is below average defensively and his strikeout to walk ratio must surely be the worst in baseball thus power seems his only redeeming quality but since we are 10.5 games back I would blame our defense(of which JPA is only one of 9) and rotation more than JPA . Still Blanco's veteran leadership hasn't got Dickey pitching well and the team winning so why not call up Thole and open up a 40 man roster spot .

o2cui2i
06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I hate Dickey the most, cost us D'Arnaud and Syndergaard, 20 million dollars the next two years. Currently pitches to an ERA over 5, he's absolutely useless old man.

no reason to hate Dickey. you would have signed that deal too. take your anger out on the person behind the contract.

o2cui2i
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I would say you hit the nail on the head except we don't have a starting rotation that has a large enough sample size of JPA catching them except for Buehrle and he did just as bad with Blanco catching him .

We all agree JPA is below average defensively and his strikeout to walk ratio must surely be the worst in baseball thus power seems his only redeeming quality but since we are 10.5 games back I would blame our defense(of which JPA is only one of 9) and rotation more than JPA . Still Blanco's veteran leadership hasn't got Dickey pitching well and the team winning so why not call up Thole and open up a 40 man roster spot .

time to start try outs for next year now. no reason to keep shitty players just so that AA doesn't lose face. lol at this point that's the last thing he should be worrying about, but he doesn't seem to get that players care more about winning and money more than the promises to play bad players even if they are shit.

they can trade JJ at the trade deadline if he can put up some good numbers between tomorrow and the deadline. boni and Izturis are worse than DeRosa who everyone hated preseason. he's done his job as the 25th man.

GD
06-03-2013, 02:37 PM
TDA would look so purty behind the dish right now.

He'd probably be injured, but I think TDA missing a limb or two can probably protect the plate with two strikes and frame pitches more effectively than JPA.

kgm1
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
TDA would look so purty behind the dish right now.

He'd probably be injured, but I think TDA missing a limb or two can probably protect the plate with two strikes and frame pitches more effectively than JPA.

When was the last time TDA had an injury free season? I think he has to move positions to try and stay healthy

GD
06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
When was the last time TDA had an injury free season? I think he has to move positions to try and stay healthy

It's pretty worrisome to say the least and it's why I was okay with the idea of trading him (not with Synder for Dickey), but I think he'll keep giving catching shots. Most of his injuries have been flukey.

kgm1
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I want JJ ,Oliver ,Davis and Izturis to get healthy and moved and Blanco DFA,d to Buffalo , He'll go as he doesn't have better options . That would free up 5 roster spots. and save a few mil . If some play well we should net a decent prospect for JJ and a C type prospects for the others ,as long as they are playing to their average.

Chappy
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I want JJ ,Oliver ,Davis and Izturis to get healthy and moved and Blanco DFA,d to Buffalo , He'll go as he doesn't have better options . That would free up 5 roster spots. and save a few mil . If some play well we should net a decent prospect for JJ and a C type prospects for the others ,as long as they are playing to their average.

Izzy won't net any prospects, and likely the same for Oliver at this point. Davis maybe if he can get back soon and get some playing time in. JJ is the only one in the group that we have any shot of getting anything decent from. At this point AA needs to strongly consider dealing him off at the deadline if it maximizes our return.

kgm1
06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Izzy won't net any prospects, and likely the same for Oliver at this point. Davis maybe if he can get back soon and get some playing time in. JJ is the only one in the group that we have any shot of getting anything decent from. At this point AA needs to strongly consider dealing him off at the deadline if it maximizes our return.

Oliver if pitching like he did last year should net a c type reliever prospect,as every team looks for relief help . Izzy isn't worth anything now because he isn't hitting and his glaring lack of range is showing up If he starts to hit and someone has an injury in the right senario we might get something if we eat a few mil.

Chappy
06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Oliver if pitching like he did last year should net a c type reliever prospect,as every team looks for relief help . Izzy isn't worth anything now because he isn't hitting and his glaring lack of range is showing up If he starts to hit and someone has an injury in the right senario we might get something if we eat a few mil.

If someone want's to take Izzy and his contract sure, but he doesn't make anything too significant and if were eating half his contract, then he is probably worth the half were paying for anyways. AA is going to have to get creative to clear some salary.

kgm1
06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Vik , Izturis ,or Boni need to be traded not only to clear salary but Kawasaki is a better option ,makes the minimum has better range , works counts and while his bat isn't as good his OBP is . I like Boni in spite of his terrible defense better than Izturis however he nets way more in a trade

Chappy
06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Vik , Izturis ,or Boni need to be traded not only to clear salary but Kawasaki is a better option ,makes the minimum has better range , works counts and while his bat isn't as good his OBP is . I like Boni in spite of his terrible defense better than Izturis however he nets way more in a trade

I agree with you Ken. I have been saying all along that Kawasaki needs to stick when Reyes returns. If we could just give Izzy away that would work well, but your right in that Boni should have the better trade value, and he should probably be the one to go.

Doc
06-04-2013, 03:24 PM
“For me, I’ll strike out however many times if at the end of the year you’re sitting there with 30 home runs and 100 RBIs.”

Should just have a J.P. quote thread, he's a walking comedy show.

crrr
06-08-2013, 02:52 PM
BUMP

71K 5BB
0.236 OBP
0.287 wOBA
-4 fielding runs
0.1 WAR

How far below replacement-level would he be with framing considered?

It was certainly a wise prediction that he would get to 0.3 before one.

GD
06-08-2013, 03:10 PM
How far below replacement-level would he be with framing considered?

If you based it off his career averages, ~-.5 or -.6 fWAR.

eastcoastjaysfan
06-08-2013, 03:14 PM
We're very lucky JPA didn't just cost us this game with his defense.

Throw in another 6 LOB for him and it's been a bad day.

Another -.126 WPA

eastcoastjaysfan
06-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I.e. He's been the worst player in the game so far.... and we're winning!

eastcoastjaysfan
06-08-2013, 03:19 PM
lol

He's so bad.

Sorry

Iluvbj's
06-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Yep, and this is the guy we want protecting our hottest hitter right now. Runners on first and third with 1 out and he's still pulling his head off and trying to yank everything into left. when all he has to do is hit a lazy fly ball to center field and it's 4-0. Ridiculous at how sickeningly bad this guy is at the basic fundamentals of this game. His pitch framing is amongst the worst I've ever seen and makes me laugh out loud at times. He stabs downwards and takes obvious pitch track strikes and get s his pitcher an automatic ball call. On top of that, I've never seen a pro who still cannot get down and block balls to his right whatsoever. He still doesn't even have the basic mechanics to alloow him to get into the proper position. I'm fucking appalled at how this guy is allowed to play pro ball as a postion player.

GD
06-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I love my new avatar. :p

cesarb182
06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I love my new avatar. :p

pretty cool

HERPDERP
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
JP just retweeted this

http://mopupduty.com/statistically-speaking-j-p-arencibia-one-of-the-best-framing-catchers-in-mlb-061113/

y'all got destroyed!

Nox
06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Regress it to the mean with about 5000 pitches, incorporate with the past 3 seasons of data and our best estimate of JPA's true talent framing is not good. Especially when to the eye he looks like a piece of garbage (though admittedly there may be some confirmation bias there).

So while this can't possibly be interpreted as bad news for JPA, nobody should be calling him a good or average framer yet.

Frenchsoup
06-11-2013, 04:44 PM
The way Mark B pitches definately helps his numbers out 2, nibbling at the corners with a soft tosser is going to get you a lot of calls and easy to frame up.

TheHurl
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I think we lost NJH's post in the upgrade. However I'd like to state that Buehrle was a negative just based on the raw data in Fast's study.

Arkadium
06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5h
Worst OBPs: Keppinger .234, Arencibia .238, Betancourt .247, Moustakas .249, Hicks .249, Dominguez .256, B.J. Upton .252, P. Alvarez .263.

That's right folks, we'd be better off with Betancourt as our converted catcher!

eastcoastjaysfan
06-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Zaun just ripped JP a new one on PTS. I really hope we start to see more mainstream outlets turning ob this sack of shit.

Tuco
06-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Cliffs?

Both Zaun and Campbell on PTS
Zaun basically saying JP doesnt know how to catch. Cox and Bob were asking if one of the symptons of this teams sloppy play are because of JP.
Zaun was going off on this organizations ability to do fundamental things like bunt and slide.

It's awesome to hear the talking heads around the team starting to speak out.

Tuco
06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I think Zaun is a moron, but its great that media is no longer hanging off JPA's/management's nuts.

Zaun is pretty smart when he sticks to talking about the X's and O's of the game and clubhouse type stuff.
He gets dumb when he trys to talk about things like prospects or trades.

Tuco
06-11-2013, 06:52 PM
I missed the first part of the segment but apparently they were talking about possibly trading JP.

The awesome part was that Jamie Campbell was joining in on the bashing too and hes usually a gross homer.

Chappy
06-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I bet JPA will start losing playing time to Thole. This time next year he is either on another team or backing Thole up.

GD
06-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Awesome to hear people in the media criticizing him.

BlueJayWay
06-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I bet JPA will start losing playing time to Thole. This time next year he is either on another team or backing Thole up.
Let's hope. This is overdue.

dineke
06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
@shidavidi: blue jays have signed JP Arencibia to a 5 year 30 million dollar contract per sources.

dineke
06-11-2013, 07:06 PM
J/k

GD
06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
J/k

reported

dineke
06-11-2013, 07:14 PM
http://lemmetweetthatforyou.com/t/4hg094

IronLadle
06-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Does it really matter if J.P and Thole share catching duties? Neither are any good.

GD
06-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I almost died.

Makes me wonder how you'll react when this actually happens.

I assume you'll just become a Cardinals or Rays fan.

dineke
06-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm just preparing you guys for the inevitable.

Wilnercibia
06-11-2013, 10:34 PM
This guy is a piece of shit

Holy fucking hell

2 times this game runner on third with less than 2 outs, and he strikes out

Worst fucking player in the fucking league

Pizzapops
06-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeah...but he finally got a walk today! With two outs and nobody on.

eastcoastjaysfan
06-12-2013, 06:27 AM
JP's current line:

.214/.237/424 75K/6BB

Wouldn't be surprised to see the average below .200 and the SLG below .400 by month end.

CHRIS
06-12-2013, 06:32 AM
JP's current line:

.214/.237/424 75K/6BB

Wouldn't be surprised to see the average below .200 and the SLG below .400 by month end.

With his OPS under .700, JPA really has nothing left to hang his hat on. Nothing.

BlueJayWay
06-12-2013, 08:16 AM
JPA on the road this year: .132/.171/.208

eastcoastjaysfan
06-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Rofl Wow

Imagine what he'd be hitting if he played for a club like Seattle or San Diego

CHRIS
06-12-2013, 09:20 AM

#2013AllIn #Top10???

connorp
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
With his OPS under .700, JPA really has nothing left to hang his hat on. Nothing.

This is true. I think even in the team's eyes Thole will have a legit chance to get more playing time. I don't think he will step up but we shall see.

sachmo55
06-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Why do Dan Haren, Wade LeBlanc, Mike Leake, Daniel Hudson, Carlos Zambrano, Jon Niese, Yovanni Gallardo, and Derek Lowe have in common? They're all pitchers and they also have higher OBP's since 2010 than JPA does in 2013.

JPA: 2.6% walk rate, 32.4% k rate,
Pitchers hitting (league wide): 2.8% walk rate, 36.6% k rate

Let that sink in a little

NJH
06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
This is just sad at this point.

We were all hoping he would at least get marginally better. Just OBP .300 or something like that. But no, he somehow got worse.

And the saddest thing is that he's not even close to being Toronto's worst every day player. Maicer Izturis, please stand up.

Equally sad, Toronto's top four pitchers in fWAR right now: Cecil, Janssen, Juan Perez, Delabar.

Fuck. How can anyone even watch this team every night? I haven't watched back to back games, or a full game, in weeks.

eastcoastjaysfan
06-12-2013, 11:14 AM
This is just sad at this point.

We were all hoping he would at least get marginally better. Just OBP .300 or something like that. But no, he somehow got worse.

And the saddest thing is that he's not even close to being Toronto's worst every day player. Maicer Izturis, please stand up.

Equally sad, Toronto's top four pitchers in fWAR right now: Cecil, Janssen, Juan Perez, Delabar.

Fuck. How can anyone even watch this team every night? I haven't watched back to back games, or a full game, in weeks.

I usually channel surf and check back periodically to see how they're doing. I completely forgot the game was on last night from innings 2-7. I think I was engrossed in the Chad Johnson ass-slap story on TMZ.

Metallijay
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM

hahaha wow, that's just......embarassing.

GD
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
JPA 2013 OBP = John McDonald's career AVG

What do Dan Haren, Wade LeBlanc, Mike Leake, Daniel Hudson, Carlos Zambrano, Jon Niese, Yovanni Gallardo, and Derek Lowe have in common? They're all pitchers and they also have higher OBP's since 2010 than JPA does in 2013.

Holy fucking shit. Just wow. I don't know what language is extensive enough to describe my hate for JPA, but it sure as fuck isn't English.

kgm1
06-12-2013, 05:39 PM
can someone please start tweeting that to JPA , Every frigging day. If a bunch do it he will have a tough time blocking everyone . He is a disaster at the plate right now

GD
06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Hahaha, oh man. I don't think anyone else has posted this.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=697&position=C#value

Look at Arencibia's value. Notice anything? Literally ALL of his value comes from positional adjustment and playing time. His bat has been -6.9 RAA. AS AN ALL BAT CATCHER. His fielding is only at -4 RAA but that very well could be worse is pitch framing is ever accounted for.

This isn't new, either. He's never been a replacement level player with the bat, with the glove, or on the base paths. This year, he's been worth a combined -7.1 RAA. That's -(.7) fWAR. Without pitch framing numbers.

He honestly isn't even a worthy backup catcher at this point, I don't think.

GD
06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
ESPN has him rated 5th best as a catching framer, how is this possible?

Sketchy pitch f/x data.

GD
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
I understand that, but how does this shit get made public. Hurrrr.....Durrrrr....Folks are going to ride that coat-tail till the cows come home.

On the plus side, I doubt casual fans will know what pitch f/x is so I don't think it'll be used along with the "but he hits dingerz!" argument.

GD
06-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, you were quoting Above Average numbers and tried to convert to Above Replacement. -7.1 RAA converts to -0.7 WAA not WAR.

Fuck. I'm not the best at this stuff haha.

It's still shit, though, isn't it?

GD
06-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Well think of RAA or WAA as how a player adds or subtracts from the team being .500, so negative brings the team lower.

I was asking if that's pretty shitty compared to other players. I've never really dabbled in runs above average or anything before.

I do know that -7 batting runs for an all-bat catcher is hilariously shitty, though.

GD
06-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Just look at the value box at the end of the player's profile. It breaks down how WAR is determined. His wRAA is adjusted for replacement and position and then converted to WAR. His current Runs Above Replacement is 0.3 or 0.0 WAR. Theoretically a replacement AAA player is just as good as JPA (without framing accounted for).

Yeah, so he's still shit. A 0.0 WAR would be bottom 25 in the league, and the majority of those players (Kemp, Keppinger, Moustakas, etc) have at least had some degree of success previously. And if his framing continues the average of around -0.04312 runs/game, not unreasonable by any means, then he'd have accumulated -2.54408 runs, or about -(.2) WAR (on the year as well), which isn't a major league player.

GD
06-12-2013, 07:28 PM
No he's definitely not major league calibre. Should be org filler at best. I'm convinced Jimenez or Nessy could outperform him right now. A .237 OBP doesn't belong anywhere in professional baseball except if you're a pitcher.

Jimenez is just getting over another injury, ugh. I think Nessy will be in Lansing (I think) this year, and that's not a fun park for hitters (not as bad for righties though). I wonder if Nickeas or Ochinko could outperform him.

BabbaGanoush
06-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Yan fucking Gomes sure as hell would

GD
06-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Yan fucking Gomes sure as hell would

So would Jeff Mathis or Yorvit Torrealba or Rod Barajas or Curtis Thigpen or Michael Barrett or Robizon Diaz.

Fuck, why did we have to trade our only good catcher in EVER?

Sorrow
06-12-2013, 10:13 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/06/12/defending-arencibia-just-wont-fly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DrunkJaysFans+%28DrunkJaysFan s%29

Not sure if that was posted before, I got some nice chuckles.

GD
06-12-2013, 10:22 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/06/12/defending-arencibia-just-wont-fly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DrunkJaysFans+%28DrunkJaysFan s%29

Not sure if that was posted before, I got some nice chuckles.

I can't read Stoeten anymore. I have no idea what happened to him, he's a raging homer right now. Thinks it's still too early to rule out making the playoffs.

Obviously, anything can happen, but when you're a condescending dick to people who rightly suggest this team is kinda fucking about out of time, you're out of line.

Sorrow
06-13-2013, 09:52 AM
I generally agree whole heartedly, this was more of getting mad about people being JPA apologists and giving off some idea that he's actually a good catcher. It was worth a read, he does a decent job of breaking down why he thinks that way about JPA.

GD
06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
I figured this would be the best place to ask: Is there a cFIP (catcher FIP) stat?

Wilnercibia
06-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Zaun wants him gone..

Thats right folks, the JPA support group is dwindling in numbers, almost the end of a horrible catcher era here in TO

GD
06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Well it's not hard to calculate, so there is one, but it's just as flawed as cERA since you're comparing different pitchers for each catcher.

I know, I just figured it'd be slightly better. I really want game calling to be quantifiable haha.

IronLadle
06-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Jimenez is just getting over another injury, ugh. I think Nessy will be in Lansing (I think) this year, and that's not a fun park for hitters (not as bad for righties though). I wonder if Nickeas or Ochinko could outperform him.

Nickeas can't outperform Thole

GD
06-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Nickeas can't outperform Thole

Nobody ever said that, did they?

eastcoastjaysfan
06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
AFter another awful game, JPA:

.211/.233/.417 .650 OPS

Possibly finishes the season with a sub .600 OPS at this rate.

Metallijay
06-14-2013, 07:33 AM

.211/.233/.417 .650 OPS

And dat Defense.

CHRIS
06-14-2013, 09:09 AM

.211/.233/.417 .650 OPS

Interested to see what happens once his batting average dips below .200. For old school guys who "know baseball", the Mendoza line is a real thing.

Deadpool
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
And dat Defense.

AND dat pitch framing.

GD
06-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Fuck, he isn't even hitting dingerz to build up his value to Ruben Amaro.

GD
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
It is truly amazing/frightening that AA is so content with JPA that he didn't bother to upgrade in the offseason.

You know what I find truly saddening? I could be completely wrong on this, but I think I heard a JPA/Wade Davis rumor before he went to KC. That would have been an awesome trade. A controllable young power pitcher for possibly the worst catcher in the league.

GD
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm not wrong. Apparently JPA for Niese and JPA for Wade Davis was discussed.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/will_jays_deal_catcher_add_pitcher/12338308?new_post=true

AA was probably the one to hang up lol.

bowld
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Rotoworld...

J.P. Arencibia is batting just .067/.122/.067 with a 3/17 BB/K ratio over his last 11 games.
The cold streak has dropped his season batting line to an ugly .211/.233/.417. Of course, Arencibia has also hit 12 homers this season, and a low average with some home run pop was all fantasy owners were hoping for. He's not a bad second catcher in fantasy leagues but is a pretty dreadful real-life hitter.

digiblader
06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
In the last 11, JPA is hitting:

.067/.122/.067.

Time to give Thole more playing time..especially with Dickey on the mound tomorrow.

digiblader
06-14-2013, 10:41 AM
And playing lousy D doesn't help either.

BlueJayWay
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Rotoworld...

J.P. Arencibia is batting just .067/.122/.067 with a 3/17 BB/K ratio over his last 11 games.

Which actually has improved his BB/K ratio.

Arkadium
06-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Fuck JPA.

Smokey
06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
It is truly amazing/frightening that AA is so content with JPA that he didn't bother to upgrade in the offseason.

The moment I realized that he was rolling with JP as the everyday catcher (right after the Dickey trade) is the moment I lost all hope for this front office.

Olerud363
06-14-2013, 10:49 AM

This is what is so frustrating about this team. I know the majority of the board recognized that JPs k/bb was a HUGE flag. JP wasn't hitting well (even though his numbers looked OK).

So what do the Jays do?? They hit him clean up and overwork him, feed his attitude and make the problem worse.

Look at what happened to Lind. He had to be degraded, demoted, laughed at, and disrespected to the nth degree before he was able to turn his approach around.

I am guessing now JP{ will turn around as long as it's handled right. Give Thole more time. Shake JPs head a lot. Hit him 9th. Play him part time. Point out that he doesn't need to be Ted Williams. He does have to get the on base percentage close to or preferably above .300.

A .233 on base percentage from a regular is something nobodies ever heard of. That's because any other team would solve the problem one way or the other before it happened.

wilko
06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Anyone want JPA in league 2? I'll sell him cheap!

Angrioter
06-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Fixing J.P. Arencibia
I've always liked J.P. Arencibia. Guys with power are easy to like. Catchers with power are that much better, since it's a position where there aren't a lot of great offensive players.

In his rookie season in 2011, the Toronto Blue Jays catcher hit .219/.282/.438 (batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage) with 23 home runs in 129 games. It was easy to think that, with normal progression, as he learned the pitchers in the majors, as he learned to take a few more walks and bring the batting average up, that he could one day become an All-Star.

It hasn't happened. Instead of progressing, in most areas, Arencibia seems to be getting worse.

At the moment, he ranks second from the bottom among major-league catchers with a 0.0 WAR (wins above replacement). More worrisome is that his walk rate keeps dropping. In his rookie season of 2010, he walked 7.4 per cent of the time, pretty close to the league average of 8.5 per cent. Last year his walk rate dropped to 4.8 per cent. This season, it's 2.5 per cent. That's the second-lowest walk rate in the major leagues, among players with 200 or more plate appearances. It's unacceptable.

The problem with walking that little is that opposing pitchers know you won't take a walk, so why should they throw you something over the plate when they know you are willing to chase unhittable pitches? Pitchers will make mistakes and leave hittable pitches out over the plate occasionally, which has helped Arencibia to hit 12 home runs this season, but if you show you won't chase, pitchers will have to throw over the plate more and give you more pitches you can hit.

Yet, Arencibia seems to wear the "I don't walk" label with pride. He tells us that he doesn't need to walk, that he is an RBI guy. The trouble is that if you chase pitches and strike out, you can't drive in runs.

Hit and miss

This season Arencibia has swung at 38.9 per cent of pitches outside of the strike zone, compared to a league average of 29.2 per cent. He has made contact with these pitches 53.9 per cent of the time, compared to a league average of 63.3 per cent. So he swings at pitches off the plate far more often than most players, and he misses those pitches more often as well. Not a good combination.

Arencibia's strikeout rate is also climbing. In his rookie season he struck out 27.4 per cent of the time, much higher than the league average of 17.5, but with a power hitter we expect some strikeouts. Last year his strikeout rate was 29.0 per cent, and this year 32.2 per cent.

Getting on base is important. Arencibia's on base percentage in his rookie year was .282, well below the league average of .327, but he was a rookie and we expected improvement. Last year it was .275. This year he's at .233, dead last in the majors among players with at least 200 plate appearances. That means he makes an out 77 per cent of the time he comes to the plate.

How about defensively? This season, Fangraphs rates him as the worst defensive catcher in the game, among full-timers. I'm always a bit skeptical of defensive rating systems for catchers, but the eye test tells us much the same story. Arencibia hasn't thrown out a lot of base stealers this season. He doesn't look the smoothest behind the plate. It's a small thing, but far too many times we've seen him crossed up by a pitch, where it seemed like he thought a different pitch was coming and he whiffed on the catch. That shouldn't be happening at this level. And he isn't great at blocking pitches in the dirt.

Pitch calling? Handing pitchers? That's tough to judge. I have no problems with his pitch calling. And apparently he has become better at framing pitches. His pitchers are getting more strike calls on borderline pitches than they have in the past. But, watching him, I really don't see the improvement. Far too often, he still has his glove moving at the moment he catches the ball.

What should Alex do?

Is there anything the Jays can do, besides hoping that Arencibia suddenly gets better?

When Henry Blanco was the backup catcher, he was so bad offensively that Arencibia had to play every day, except when knuckleballer R.A. Dickey started. Now that Josh Thole is the backup, I'd like to see the Jays go to more of a 50/50 usage at catcher. Thole, a left-handed batter, has shown an OK bat in the past with the Mets and looks to be a pretty good defensive catcher. He should play against most right-handed pitchers.

The other thing Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos could consider is sending Arencibia down to the minors to work on his swing. The Jays have had amazing results doing that with Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion. Both were so bad that the Jays exposed them to waivers. Any team in baseball could have picked them up for free, and no one did. Now they're important parts of the team.

Maybe it's time to do the same with Arencibia. Try some tough love. Tell him to go down to the minors, fix his swing, learn not to chase pitches off the plate, and then he can come back.

I don't know if that's the answer, but Arencibia has to improve. Otherwise, the Jays must look at making a change behind the plate if they hope to contend.

Angrioter
06-14-2013, 03:18 PM
My favorite quotes:

But my production as far as RBIs (30) even though I should have more, it’s pretty up there for my position. The biggest thing, though, is trying to help the team.”

For your position?
Bro, you're the worst defensive catcher all-time

Abomination
06-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Right now, JPA is getting to 3 ball counts at close to league average rate, so I'm not sure he needs to go to the minors to be fixed. The real issue comes once he gets to 3 balls. On average 41% of the people that get to 3 balls in the AL this year draw a walk, while JP is only at 16%. If JP drew the walk ONCE GETTING TO 3 BALLS at a league average rate, he'd have 10 more walks on the season which (without doing the math) would probably raise his average about 10 points and OBP by 40 to 50 points. That's without him changing ANYTHING else. Combine that with the fact that's he's in a slump right now (probably partly due to overuse), and I don't see major adjustments that can't be made at the major league level. Just one tweak in that thing he calls a head when he gets to 3 balls.

Some of the other things would be nice (and should be worked on), but just that one change probably puts him back to where he's at least a partial asset to the team.

Deadpool
06-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Right now, JPA is getting to 3 ball counts at close to league average rate, so I'm not sure he needs to go to the minors to be fixed. The real issue comes once he gets to 3 balls. On average 41% of the people that get to 3 balls in the AL this year draw a walk, while JP is only at 16%. If JP drew the walk ONCE GETTING TO 3 BALLS at a league average rate, he'd have 10 more walks on the season which (without doing the math) would probably raise his average about 10 points and OBP by 40 to 50 points. That's without him changing ANYTHING else. Combine that with the fact that's he's in a slump right now (probably partly due to overuse), and I don't see major adjustments that can't be made at the major league level. Just one tweak in that thing he calls a head when he gets to 3 balls.

Some of the other things would be nice (and should be worked on), but just that one change probably puts him back to where he's at least a partial asset to the team.

So much fail here... So much...

Abomination
06-14-2013, 04:27 PM
So much fail here... So much...

Such a useful comment here...

GD
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Such a useful comment here...

I'm pretty sure he was referring to JP's suckitude, not the quality of your post.

Abomination
06-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure he was referring to JP's suckitude, not the quality of your post.

Hmm, that could be. If so I apologize. If not, he needs to state why he thinks I'm wrong (and back it up).

GD
06-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Hmm, that could be. If so I apologize. If not, he needs to state why he thinks I'm wrong (and back it up).

There wasn't anything wrong and generally Deadpool a.) backs up his posts and b.) hates JPA. Seriously, all of his posts in the last 20 minutes have been anti-JPA lol.

eastcoastjaysfan
06-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info Abomination

eastcoastjaysfan
06-14-2013, 07:21 PM
John McDonald career: .237/.275/.328
JPA career: .219/.266/.429

Aside from the obvious advantage in power, advantage Mac!

eastcoastjaysfan
06-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Sal Fasano (now remember, the guy is built like a milk bag with almost zero athletic ability to speak of. Widely considered to be a laughingstock at the plate)

.221/.295/.392

In a dead heat with our beloved catcher!

eastcoastjaysfan
06-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Spread JPA's current numbers over a 162 game spread

205K/16

Yes, over a 162 game season JP Arencibia at his current output would've K'd TWO HUNDRED AND FIVE TIMES AND WALKED SIXTEEN TIMES

To quote the great BTS: "What is this, I don't even"

digiblader
06-16-2013, 12:38 PM
JPA is batting 8th today:

Cabrera LF
Bautista DH
Encarnacion 3B
Lind 1B
DeRosa 2B
Davis RF
Rasmus CF
Arencibia C
Izturis SS

fireballW
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Made a post on the old forum a long time ago about when I used to play baseball and how hugely annoying it was to pitch to catchers who wouldn't give a good target. JPA would always flip his target up right when the pitcher is about to release the ball like he needed to sneak it so the batter didn't no. Just stupid. Apparently had time with Sal and watching him lately he is ACTUALLY PUTTING UP A TARGET!!! This seems like a basic idea but it took this meathead years to figure it out. Oh yeah, and our pitchers are pitching better. Surprise.

fireballW
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM

JPA is actually talented. He is just so impossibly dumb and even more stubborn. Seriously, he is so unable to reflect objectively on himself, it must be a defense mechanism. Of course he sucks when he is at 3 balls. He has publicly called people who think he should walk "nerds." I believe he actually believes in his heart that taking a walk is for pussies. Our catcher/leader on the field has the brain of a high school student. Not the all around athlete/scholar one, the jock type who gets by with 60% but thinks he's da shit. Apparently he decided to start listening to CM and change some things recently. If this guy could just grow up and grow a brain he has the talent to actually take some walks and be a top 20 catcher... maybe. He can be funny, even charismatic but he is sooooooooo dumb.