PDA

View Full Version : Yunel Escobar Update

DustyBaker
05-06-2013, 10:46 AM
So I've been keeping a watch on Escobar's numbers throughout the season as I have a bet that he will have a 2 WAR or above this season, and he has some interesting numbers 30 games in. While I recognize its still early and all that, I thought it was worth noting he is currently sporting an impressive -0.2 WAR.
That all being said, he has a 20% LD rate with a .188 BABIP..... so I feel like he is due for a correction. Or I'm completely wrong.
Has anyone watched many Rays games this year? Anything the eye test can add to this? I guess what I'm really getting at, do I need to start making excuses for my bet?

Angrioter
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
So I've been keeping a watch on Escobar's numbers throughout the season as I have a bet that he will have a 2 WAR or above this season, and he has some interesting numbers 30 games in. While I recognize its still early and all that, I thought it was worth noting he is currently sporting an impressive -0.2 WAR.
That all being said, he has a 20% LD rate with a .188 BABIP..... so I feel like he is due for a correction. Or I'm completely wrong.
Has anyone watched many Rays games this year? Anything the eye test can add to this? I guess what I'm really getting at, do I need to start making excuses for my bet?

Joonel Escobar?

DustyBaker
05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
....get out of my head

dineke
05-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Didn't he break his wrist or something?

DustyBaker
05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I just checked and apparently its only a bruise... I completely missed that though. You freaked me out, that would have ensured a quick end to any hopes I had

eastcoastjaysfan
05-06-2013, 11:26 AM
His defense would look pretty good right now up the middle. Bat is too erratic for my liking though and that body is only going to make things worse going forward.

G-Snarls
05-06-2013, 11:27 AM
He's had a couple good games but mostly weak, weak ground outs. I guess the LD rate might refute that a bit?

Otherwise though to me the BaPip may be just what he deserves. Weak ground balls mostly make outs.

DustyBaker
05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Hmm that's not great to hear.. although I feel like a .188 BABIP is unsustainable anyway you cut it. However, hes also striking out more, walking less, and his contact rate is down 2.5% (84-86.5) from his best year in Atlanta (similar to best year in a Jays uni as well). I still think he could make replacement level though if his D maintains itself....

fatcowxlive
05-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Last 2 games before his injury hit 2 homers and a total of 4 hits I believe. He was out with a hammy problem, and in his second game back he got hit by a pitch in the hand and he was removed from the game

G-Snarls
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah his defense is still his strong suit. If that starts to fail he's done.

ErrorcebiaPassedBall
05-06-2013, 07:40 PM
More importantly, Kelly Johnson has been better than any scrub we have started at 2B.