PDA

View Full Version : This Organizations Pro Scouting

Tuco
05-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Just awful.

-Aquire Brad Lincoln . Dude can hardly even lock down a roster spot. Snider isnt anything special but Toronto banked on Lincoln being a good BP arm
-Aquire Esmil Rogers. A dime a dozen BP arm. I dont trust this guy in any situation
-Aquire Colby Rasmus. Got him for scraps which is cool, but AA and company thought he was alot better then showing in STL and hes been even worse under us
-Aquire RA Dickey. AA banked on him being a ace. I even remember AA saying that RA even pitching better then he has wasnt out of the question. Now this guy looks like a middle to back end rotation guy. Just a monumental flub on this front office's part
-Aquire Emilio Bonifacio. Word is AA wouldnt have done the deal without him and he was a integral part. Now the guy can hardly hit above .200 and plays shaky D
-Gives out a 3 year contract to Macier Izturis. Guy cant hit and has played underwhelming defence. You could have prolly called up someone from the minors and given you better performance.
-Bank on JPA being your everyday guy and improving enough to backstop a contender

I'm not even going to touch on amatuer scouting but whos the people making opinions on pro players?

theblujay
05-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Just awful.

-Aquire Brad Lincoln . Dude can hardly even lock down a roster spot. Snider isnt anything special but Toronto banked on Lincoln being a good BP arm
-Aquire Esmil Rogers. A dime a dozen BP arm. I dont trust this guy in any situation
-Aquire Colby Rasmus. Got him for scraps which is cool, but AA and company thought he was alot better then showing in STL and hes been even worse under us
-Aquire RA Dickey. AA banked on him being a ace. I even remember AA saying that RA even pitching better then he has wasnt out of the question. Now this guy looks like a middle to back end rotation guy. Just a monumental flub on this front office's part
-Aquire Emilio Bonifacio. Word is AA wouldnt have done the deal without him and he was a integral part. Now the guy can hardly hit above .200 and plays shaky D
-Gives out a 3 year contract to Macier Izturis. Guy cant hit and has played underwhelming defence. You could have prolly called up someone from the minors and given you better performance.
-Bank on JPA being your everyday guy and improving enough to backstop a contender

I'm not even going to touch on amatuer scouting but whos the people making opinions on pro players?

What does this org do well...?

mitchf
05-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Just awful.

Some of the moves aren't even all that questionable. It's the fact that every single player he acquires plays worse for us. Our team literally brings the worst out of everyone and I blame the guys on top for that.

theblujay
05-30-2013, 09:22 PM
They get players to agree to pretty reasonable contract extensions.

Thanks to that we had room to take on the contracts of stars like Buehrle and Dickey

CHRIS
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM

JPA's will be next.

mitchf
05-30-2013, 09:26 PM
A JPA extension might be enough to make me quit watching Blue Jay baseball and start following the west coast games.

Tuco
05-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Some of the moves aren't even all that questionable. It's the fact that every single player he acquires plays worse for us. Our team literally brings the worst out of everyone and I blame the guys on top for that.

Yep player development is a whole other story.

L54
05-30-2013, 09:32 PM
I still don't disagree with the Rasmus trade. Guy oozes with talent, and maybe he'll never put it together but giving up spare pieces for him wasn't a back breaker (minus the 8 mil). He's still provided good defense, and I don't think anybody will disagree the talent isn't there. I remember AA being praised heavily at the time of that trade. Low risk, high reward type trade.

Errorcebia
05-30-2013, 09:36 PM
This is the least like-able team in my 10 years of closely following blue jays baseball. If JP gets an extension, I think I am done with baseball for a few years. It's hard to cheer for a team when you hate so many of the players. This has never been a problem until the past few years.

Buster
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
The team spends millions and millions and they can't figure out how pay whatever it takes to get Joe Maddon out of Tampa?

Literally hand the guy a contract and ask him to fill in the numbers. It's cheaper than having Rick Ankiel 2.0 getting paid 7 mil in Single A

theblujay
05-30-2013, 09:45 PM
This is the least like-able team in my 10 years of closely following blue jays baseball. If JP gets an extension, I think I am done with baseball for a few years. It's hard to cheer for a team when you hate so many of the players. This has never been a problem until the past few years.

I really liked this team/minor leagues the last two years and coming into this year I thought I would learn to like this group if they played well and really did make the playoffs. Lol that's not happening.

Buster
05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
The team would have been better off without the deep pockets of Rogers. It would be continuing to build organically.

"All-in" is so easy to screw up.

digiblader
05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Tell that to the Angels, Dodgers, Nats, among others. Especially the Angels--Trout is going to be stuck on a bad team for years, as the Angels have many bad contracts, and no prospects on their farm, even fewer than the Jays.

digiblader
05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Brad Lincoln was decent with the Pirates--and Snider is struggling for playing time vs. Jose Tabata.

Esmil Rogers hasn't been used properly with the Jays. Plus, he did quite well in Cleveland last year.

Most teams would've traded for Colby Rasmus if they had the chance due to high upside potential. Even the Rays did this with Wil Myers(who's not deserving of a callup at the moment due to high K's and a middling average)

A lot of teams wanted RA Dickey, not just the Jays.

Maicier Izturis was a bad signing, I agree.

JPA has huge power--and D'Arnaud has yet to stay healthy for a full season in the minors. And there are worse catchers around (see Jesus Montero, Jarrod Saltalamacchia)

Angrioter
05-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Brad Lincoln was decent with the Pirates--and Snider is struggling for playing time vs. Jose Tabata.

Esmil Rogers hasn't been used properly with the Jays. Plus, he did quite well in Cleveland last year.

Most teams would've traded for Colby Rasmus if they had the chance due to high upside potential. Even the Rays did this with Wil Myers(who's not deserving of a callup at the moment due to high K's and a middling average)

JPA has huge power--and D'Arnaud has yet to stay healthy for a full season in the minors. And there are worse catchers around (see Jesus Montero, Jarrod Saltalamacchia)

Do you see baseball games frequently?

havok24
05-30-2013, 10:07 PM

You're really fucking stupid.

GD
05-30-2013, 10:10 PM

I hope you get hit by a foul ball in the skull, not that you've ever been anywhere near a baseball diamond/stadium/park/outside of your mom's basement.

digiblader
05-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Get a life. I was just at the game on Saturday. And BTW, facing elite offenses like Atlanta and Baltimore are not helpful for Dickey.

GD
05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Get a life. I was just at the game on Saturday. And BTW, facing elite offenses like Atlanta and Baltimore are not helpful for Dickey.

Trolololol.

Kelly Gruber
05-31-2013, 12:14 AM
The team spends millions and millions and they can't figure out how pay whatever it takes to get Joe Maddon out of Tampa?

Literally hand the guy a contract and ask him to fill in the numbers. It's cheaper than having Rick Ankiel 2.0 getting paid 7 mil in Single A

Romero now is way worse than Ankiel then. Ricky can't hit.

Randy The Robot
05-31-2013, 12:25 AM
I hope you get hit by a foul ball in the skull, not that you've ever been anywhere near a baseball diamond/stadium/park/outside of your mom's basement.
-
Outside of the second point, what is wrong with what he said?
-
Brad Lincoln was indeed good with the Pirates. Last I heard Snider/Tabata was a platoon.
Esmil Rogers is terrible regardless of the role.
Most team would have traded for Colby, yes.
Plenty of team wanted Dickey, yes.
Yes.
J.P does in fact have a ton a power and D'Arnaud is struggling to stay healthy.
-
Being this angry is not healthy, Gordie(and the rest of you for that matter)

Olerud363
05-31-2013, 07:18 AM

Wouldn't you say this has actually been a weakness in the end. Rios, Hill, Lind, Romero, Dickey, Morrow (maybe), Dusty. All signed to long term contracts... Then have bad performance and have their values drop to nothing.

SirBJay
05-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Wouldn't you say this has actually been a weakness in the end. Rios, Hill, Lind, Romero, Dickey, Morrow (maybe), Dusty. All signed to long term contracts... Then have bad performance and have their values drop to nothing.

First off, Rios and Hill weren't signed by Anthopoulos, secondly, these extensions were signed on the basis that they retained at least some value, as it turns out, that wasn't the case.

Boxcar
05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
-
-
Brad Lincoln was indeed good with the Pirates. Last I heard Snider/Tabata was a platoon.
Yes.
-

There is history. Dunno if you posted on the old board, but there's a reason people always slam this dude. He ran two accounts, one as a troll, the other as a massive homer.

CHRIS
05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
There is history. Dunno if you posted on the old board, but there's a reason people always slam this dude. He ran two accounts, one as a troll, the other as a massive homer.

What was the homer account?

Boxcar
05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
What was the homer account?

Raysjays.

IronLadle
05-31-2013, 01:08 PM
I think the issue is more that our GM doesn't use a computer, let alone look at the mountains of data available on players with ML track records.

Can you find players like Bautista and E.E with a computer?

CHRIS
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Raysjays.

Jesus, how did I miss that?

GD
05-31-2013, 03:37 PM
-
-
Yes.
-

You can't just cherrypick like that. "I think that Schrodinger's (too lazy to spell right) Cat is an interesting theory. I think that human trafficing is fine." Well, aside from the second point, what's wrong with what was said? (obvious exaggeration is obvious)
-
3.58 FIP is not that good.
True.
True.
I don't think anyone was going to give up so fucking much.
J.P.'s .202 ISO isn't 'a ton' of power.
-
Bite me lol.

GD
05-31-2013, 03:38 PM
I wonder why he didn't change his name when he moved over here (used digiblader on old forum), it's almost as if he likes the negative attention.

I think it's a bit more than "almost," lol.

IronLadle
05-31-2013, 03:57 PM
You can't just cherrypick like that. "I think that Schrodinger's (too lazy to spell right) Cat is an interesting theory. I think that human trafficing is fine." Well, aside from the second point, what's wrong with what was said? (obvious exaggeration is obvious)
-
3.58 FIP is not that good.
True.
True.
I don't think anyone was going to give up so fucking much.
J.P.'s .202 ISO isn't 'a ton' of power.
-
Bite me lol.

.202 is pretty good power and his .249 ISO this year is even better

GD
05-31-2013, 04:10 PM
.202 is pretty good power and his .249 ISO this year is even better

He's aided by a 21.8% HR/FB, which should regress quite a bit.

IronLadle
05-31-2013, 04:17 PM
He's aided by a 21.8% HR/FB, which should regress quite a bit.

It's increased every year he's been in the league.

GD
05-31-2013, 04:33 PM
It's increased every year he's been in the league.

It went up .4. And then it went up 1.8. And now you're expecting it to jump up 5.3%? Are you really sure that's sustainable?

GD
05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
It's not sustainable, but jumps like that can and do happen (Bautista, Encarnacion). The problem is, even with his good power, he still is shitty.

Jumps like that happen to people who can actually play the game of baseball with a reasonable amount of skill.

IronLadle
05-31-2013, 04:46 PM
It went up .4. And then it went up 1.8. And now you're expecting it to jump up 5.3%? Are you really sure that's sustainable?

It's his third year so I wouldn't be surprised if a significant jump occured considering is line drive rate is way up - but I wouldn't count on it.

GD
05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
It's his third year so I wouldn't be surprised if a significant jump occured considering is line drive rate is way up - but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't think Arencibia has the raw power to command a 20% HR/FB rate.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2013&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=9,d

That's not a long list of guys.

IronLadle
05-31-2013, 05:18 PM
I liked that graph you have some big names coupled with some scrubs in there but those numbers are career averages you posted. Josh Phelps managed it three years in a row and Manny topped 30% one year.

A 20% rate over a career is pretty impressive.