PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Hayhurst

Shes_buehrle_legal
05-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Hey, first time I've ever signed up for a forum but I'm a huge Blue Jays fan. Just wondering what everyone thought of Dirk Hayhurst as an analyst? I think his points are valid but I find him very smug and he really annoys me. The other day I was listening to him when he was on Tim and Sid talking about Romero being called up. He thought it was about the worst idea in the world and pretty much made zero sense to him as he thought a guy from AAA should have be brought up. It could have been a good argument if the jays had anyone worth a look in AAA. I thought Romero deserved a shot and I was actually pretty pleased with Romero's start and the way he battled and think Romero will slowly get back to a being a good 2-3 pitcher in the rotation. Looking forward to having discussions on here, cheers!!

Slade
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm not a fan of Hayhurst he tries way too hard to sound smarter than he actually is.

mitchf
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey, first time I've ever signed up for a forum but I'm a huge Blue Jays fan. Just wondering what everyone thought of Dirk Hayhurst as an analyst? I think his points are valid but I find him very smug and he really annoys me. The other day I was listening to him when he was on Tim and Sid talking about Romero being called up. He thought it was about the worst idea in the world and pretty much made zero sense to him as he thought a guy from AAA should have be brought up. It could have been a good argument if the jays had anyone worth a look in AAA. I thought Romero deserved a shot and I was actually pretty pleased with Romero's start and the way he battled and think Romero will slowly get back to a being a good 2-3 pitcher in the rotation. Looking forward to having discussions on here, cheers!!
It's his minor league career talking.

He's improved big time. I'll never forget day 1 on baseball central when he couldn't pronounce some of the players names and now he seems to have educated himself nicely.

eastcoastjaysfan
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
lol That's a great screenname OP

Camps
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I love both of his books.

As an analyst, I think he often makes good points but also tries to make big declarations to bring attention to himself, then when he's called out on it says he's just playing the commentary game, which is fine, but makes it question whether some of the things he's saying are genuine or whether he's trolling, trying to get a rise out of the rabid Jays fans. He's only been at it for a short time, so hopefully he balances himself out and doesn't become the Blue Jays version of Morosi.

eastcoastjaysfan
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
I don't really have a huge problem with Romero getting the call. It's not like he's magically going to have something click in the minors and then go on a tear in the bigs. The whole Halladay narrative is overblown.

NiagaraJaysFan
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm not a fan of Hayhurst he tries way too hard to sound smarter than he actually is.

Agreed. (This board requires 10 characters or more so this is filler.)

Shes_buehrle_legal
05-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Haha thanks, I actually stole it from a guy in my fantasy baseball league! I thought it was awesome!!

NiagaraJaysFan
05-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Haha thanks, I actually stole it from a guy in my fantasy baseball league! I thought it was awesome!!
Reported for plagiarism! :p

declan_44
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Given his milb and mlb history (If you've read his books), I suspect he will always pull for the journeyman/sleeper/unknown players where he can. Just like Zaunbie boasts for all the old roiders whenever he can.

GD
05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I really enjoy him as an author, he's tremendous. As a broadcaster, I like the way he treats Wilner (condescendingly), but if he's like that all the time (I don't listen to him much) then I don't think I'd like him.

Chappy
05-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I kind of like Hayhurst. He doesn't seem afraid to speak his mind at times and that is quite refreshing. It might be a bit much for the masses though. Something I I really liked about Ashby as well.

Chappy
05-06-2013, 02:35 PM
As much as I find Zaun irritating at times as well, he does speak his mind as well and calls things for what it is. I like that.

dineke
05-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Fuck hayhurst, he blocked me on twitter for commenting negatively on Motley Crue. Fucking ohio redneck.

Caper
05-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I really like Hayhurst. I can see why he would rub people the wrong way.... I like how he gets into it with Jeff Blair.

I love bitching about broadcasters.... But honestly, I think the Jays got a good group of guys covering the team.

Clomero
05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
good to see you made the transition bud
gotta keep those fanboys in chceck

Chappy
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
This is what I've gathered from him. He's knowledgeable and to the point. You ever hear him and Zaun go at it, lol.

He definitely knows what he is talking about. The only real issue I can see is that the general masses of fans may not take to that style. Seems like people prefer homer style commentators. It's more appealing to the hardcore fans I think.

Chappy
05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I really like Hayhurst. I can see why he would rub people the wrong way.... I like how he gets into it with Jeff Blair.

I love bitching about broadcasters.... But honestly, I think the Jays got a good group of guys covering the team.

The overall group is fine imo. I think people just enjoy complaining about anything and everything.

Clomero
05-06-2013, 05:26 PM
He definitely knows what he is talking about. The only real issue I can see is that the general masses of fans may not take to that style. Seems like people prefer homer style commentators. It's more appealing to the hardcore fans I think.

its funny didnt people like ashby? i mean hes the same mold as hayhurst. if you dont like em fine, personally i stick to the martinez and tabler but its pretty funny that people dont see how similar ashby and hayhurst are

Chappy
05-06-2013, 05:27 PM
its funny didnt people like ashby? i mean hes the same mold as hayhurst. if you dont like em fine, personally i stick to the martinez and tabler but its pretty funny that people dont see how similar ashby and hayhurst are

Very similar, and I loved listening to Ashby on the radio. It's too bad he left.

Caper
05-06-2013, 05:33 PM
The overall group is fine imo. I think people just enjoy complaining about anything and everything.

I listen to the Fan quite a bit... There are few guys on the station that don't know all that much about baseball. I like Jeff Blair, he is funny, but watching him talk baseball, is like watching ESPN guys talk hockey. Brady and Lang don't really have a clue either.

But the guys covering the Jays specifically all all pretty good... and there is a great mix. I know people dislike Wilner.... but I think he fits. Same with Hayhurst. I was told Jack Morris would be unbearable... but he's been great. Buck is Buck... but he's still ok.

Chappy
05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I listen to the Fan quite a bit... There are few guys on the station that don't know all that much about baseball. I like Jeff Blair, he is funny, but watching him talk baseball, is like watching ESPN guys talk hockey. Brady and Lang don't really have a clue either.

But the guys covering the Jays specifically all all pretty good... and there is a great mix. I know people dislike Wilner.... but I think he fits. Same with Hayhurst. I was told Jack Morris would be unbearable... but he's been great. Buck is Buck... but he's still ok.

The problem with Wilner is that he is incredibly stubborn and at times disrespectful. I understand that it can get frustrating hearing callers ask the same ridiculous questions, but at the end of the day its his job and the show is usually only 30 - 60 minutes. It would be nice to get someone new like Hayhurst in there to handle the post game show. He would actually provide insight into questions, whereas Wilner generally has the same generic answers to every question. I stopped listening for that reason.

Atothe
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Hayhurst doesn't bother me but in comparsion to blair and wilner he is very good. Asby was the greatest, actually made me listen to baseball on the radio

Caper
05-06-2013, 05:43 PM
The problem with Wilner is that he is incredibly stubborn and at times disrespectful. I understand that it can get frustrating hearing callers ask the same ridiculous questions, but at the end of the day its his job and the show is usually only 30 - 60 minutes. It would be nice to get someone new like Hayhurst in there to handle the post game show. He would actually provide insight into questions, whereas Wilner generally has the same generic answers to every question. I stopped listening for that reason.

I have a few problems with Wilner... But I still like him. For starters, he never misses an opportunity, no matter how small, to score points in an argument... If a caller gets a name wrong, you can bet Wilner will jump all over it. I also wish once and a while he would go after guys like JPA for his sub par defense, ect. He does have to deal with some serious morons though.

Caper
05-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Hayhurst doesn't bother me but in comparsion to blair and wilner he is very good. Asby was the greatest, actually made me listen to baseball on the radio

I am impressed with Wilner on the game broadcast... I didn't think he had the voice for it.... it's grown on me.

Caper
05-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Also... anyone else roll their eyes when Peter from St Catherines calls in.... what a suck hole.

willhs14
05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I am impressed with Wilner on the game broadcast... I didn't think he had the voice for it.... it's grown on me.
+1 he does better calling games. he should hand jays talk over to Hayhurst

TO1
05-06-2013, 07:26 PM
He's great as an analyst. Knows his stuff and that's ultimately what is needed.
Some might not like that the guy is actually articulate. I find that really funny when some would rather hear a "No Shit" John Madden type only state the obvious during sportscasts.
What's the point of having an analyst then?

ErrorcebiaPassedBall
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
He's the best analyst now that Ashby jumped ship to Houston. Dirk isn't afraid to call the game as he sees it, and if a player is underperforming he is not shy about pointing that out. When the only response people can come up with is "Dirk was a shit minor leaguer, he doesn't know what he's talking about", those are their own insecurities coming out because they know he is probably right. Terrible players like JP seem to think that only people who have played major league ball are allowed to comment on the game, but that is just absurd. It's a cheap distraction from the issue.

ErrorcebiaPassedBall
05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Also... anyone else roll their eyes when Peter from St Catharines calls in.... what a suck hole.

You need to re-take grade 9 geography

Caper
05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
You need to re-take grade 9 geography

They teach you where St.Catherines is in Gr.9 Geography?

GD
05-06-2013, 08:34 PM
They teach you where St.Catherines is in Gr.9 Geography?

I don't think any geography course anywhere teaches you about St Catherines lol.

ErrorcebiaPassedBall
05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
It's Catharines with an A

Caper
05-06-2013, 08:56 PM

So why would I get that in grade 9 geography?

GD
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM

Lol, no one gives two flying fucks about how St. Catharines is spelled. I think the Ice Dogs play there, which is cool because I love the Ice Dogs, but aside from that, I don't care.

SirBJay
05-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Lol, no one gives two flying fucks about how St. Catharines is spelled. I think the Ice Dogs play there, which is cool because I love the Ice Dogs, but aside from that, I don't care.

St. Catharines is pretty bible-thumper-y.

GD
05-06-2013, 09:43 PM
St. Catharines is pretty bible-thumper-y.

I've driven through it. Nothing to see there.

Hemingways007
05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I like Hayhurst. He is to the point and speaks his mind. I enjoy his analysis, and he seems to be a nice guy from the conversations I have had with him during Spring Training.

Buster
05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm a big fan of Hayhurst.

His honesty is refreshing, and he actually brings some knowledge to the process. Hopefully he doesn't get Ashby'd by the Jays via Rogers corporate.

Caper
05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm a big fan of Hayhurst.

His honesty is refreshing, and he actually brings some knowledge to the process. Hopefully he doesn't get Ashby'd by the Jays via Rogers corporate.

What does Ashby'd mean?

Buster
05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Ashby got fired from the Astros organization a few years back for being too outspoken and critical of the team when they played poorly or made a mistake.

Hayhurst and the Jays share the same employer, and I wonder what would happen if the Jays started complaining the the mother ship about Hayhurst's oustpoken ways ("the jays ruined Romero").

Hayrhurst is certainly not a company man.

Caper
05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Ashby got fired from the Astros organization a few years back for being too outspoken and critical of the team when they played poorly or made a mistake.

Hayhurst and the Jays share the same employer, and I wonder what would happen if the Jays started complaining the the mother ship about Hayhurst's oustpoken ways ("the jays ruined Romero").

Hayrhurst is certainly not a company man.

Rogers doesn't care. If Hayhurst brings eyeballs or ears.... They don't care.

Abomination
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
The thing about Hayhurst is he calls it as he sees it both ways. He's also very good at praising people when they deserve it. If he only focused on the negative, then it might be an issue.

GD
05-17-2013, 12:51 PM
He's got a live chat at 2 PM today.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/live-blue-jays-chat-with-dirk-hayhurst-at-2-p-m-e-t/

LGBJ29
05-17-2013, 01:10 PM

Exactly. I really like Dirk and Im surprised about all the negative comments about him in this thread. He absolutely knows what he's talking about and when he states his opinion he always back up his arguments. Just because you dont agree with him doesn't make him wrong. I love when he puts Zaun in his place too. Anyone see the bit on Blue Jays central about Arencibia and his walk rate? Dirk made Zaun look like a fool in that segment.

LGBJ29
05-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Very similar, and I loved listening to Ashby on the radio. It's too bad he left.

agree with this as well

wilko
05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Hayhurst and Zaun have similar qualities. They pretty much speak their mind.

GD
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Hayhurst and Zaun have similar qualities. They pretty much speak their mind.

However, Hayhurst's mind is greater than that of Zaun's.

crrr
05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
However, Hayhurst's mind is greater than that of Zaun's.

I'm actually fairly impressed with Zaun's analysis overall. He doesn't hit home on every point, but he definitely brings up many valid points and complaints every day.

GD
05-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm actually fairly impressed with Zaun's analysis overall. He doesn't hit home on every point, but he definitely brings up many valid points and complaints every day.

he's been better than last year.

Boxcar
05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
He's got a live chat at 2 PM today.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/live-blue-jays-chat-with-dirk-hayhurst-at-2-p-m-e-t/

"It's actually rather simple= JA is not a very good defensive major league catcher. He's better than he was, but he has missed a lot of catchable balls so far this season, and has a lot of short comings in setting up and calling the game. Buck sees it too. But hey, he hits homers... amiright?"

Wow, someone who covers the team actually saying it.

Caper
05-17-2013, 04:14 PM

I find it funny when he has to come up with his ways to win... And after a while he starts hating it because he has to come up with new ways every day.

SirBJay
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
"It's actually rather simple= JA is not a very good defensive major league catcher. He's better than he was, but he has missed a lot of catchable balls so far this season, and has a lot of short comings in setting up and calling the game. Buck sees it too. But hey, he hits homers... amiright?"

Wow, someone who covers the team actually saying it.

That is awesome.

His whole chat was solid IMO.

My favourite quote: "The Jays really have nothing to do with my depression. I think the more important issue here, concerning feeling down, is that everyday we wake up is just part of an inexorable march to a dark, obscure, and ultimately irrelevant death in which we'll come to realize everything is meaningless and all our accomplishments are to be tramped by the selfish, infinite masses to come. have a nice day."

GD
05-17-2013, 04:46 PM
This was a great chat, I followed along, Hayhurst's pretty good.

bzapple
05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Pretty good chat, Hayhurst is an enjoyable guy.

Although for a published novelist he has pretty terrible grammar lol. I guess he was just trying to type answers quickly.

boooobz
05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I think he is great

SirBJay
05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I think he is great

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBZ

Welcome to the forums!

Caper
05-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Listening to the Fan now, PTS, it's tuff watching hockey guys talking about baseball.

oakville69
05-17-2013, 09:30 PM
I kind of like Hayhurst. He doesn't seem afraid to speak his mind at times and that is quite refreshing. It might be a bit much for the masses though. Something I I really liked about Ashby as well.

I like him as an analyst. He has a different view than Wilner or Zaun. He likes to explain advanced stats to the audience. I enjoy reading his books. He likes mixing it up with Jeff Blair.

I could see him & Wilner taking over the broadcast once Jerry retires. I don't want Jerry to retire because he's excellent. I wish Ashby had stayed.

Buster
05-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Hayhurst has basically called bullshit on AA's stupid moves all season. He was totally pissed when he heard Nolin was coming up. He was right.

Tuco
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Hayhurst has basically called bullshit on AA's stupid moves all season. He was totally pissed when he heard Nolin was coming up. He was right.

Yep he was bang on with this Nolin callup.

wilko
05-25-2013, 12:51 AM
I'd like to kiss Hayhurst between the cheeks. Even if it means taking a chubby, I will suck it up.

P2F
05-25-2013, 12:52 AM
I'd like to kiss Hayhurst between the cheeks. Even if it means taking a chubby, I will suck it up.

You'll suck up his chubby?

declan_44
05-25-2013, 05:43 AM
You'll suck up his chubby?

It's a Tobias quote. SUNDAY! It better not suck!

GD
05-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Dirk: "I would try and explain run expectancy to you, but that would probably make Greg (Zaun)'s head explode.

Epic.

Metallijay
05-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Dirk: "I would try and explain run expectancy to you, but that would probably make Greg (Zaun)'s head explode.

Epic.

HAHAA epic, Dirk is pretty decent, not an AA arse kisser.