PDA

View Full Version : Ok seriously, what do we do about Mark Buerhle?

magits
05-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Great win tonight, but Buerhle has just been atrocious all season long apart from that one start against a bad hitting White Sox team.

What's wrong with him? Is his FB velocity down? Can we expect his HR/FB numbers to regress or is he over the hill? Either way his contract is starting to look more and more like an albatross. How many more starts do we give him before we try another option?

I think if he keeps going like this when Johnson comes back, and if Romero is pitching ok, he either gets put on the DL, or put in the bullpen as a long guy. Hopefully he picks it up though.

ErrorcebiaPassedBall
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Hope that he retires.

digiblader
05-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Long guy in the bullpen when Johnson returns--we could use someone to take pressure off our bullpen.

Camps
05-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Long guy in the bullpen when Johnson returns--we could use someone to take pressure off our bullpen.

Yep. Exactly what I was going to say.

admin
05-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I think he'll be okay.

LetTheBallFly
05-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Trade trade trade....what we should have done before the season started.

Sparky12
05-07-2013, 12:56 AM

Pretty expensive bp arm, he really isn't looking promising hopefully he can at least return to his career norms.

Chappy
05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Pretty expensive bp arm, he really isn't looking promising hopefully he can at least return to his career norms.

I just can't see him remaining this bad for too much longer. He looked better today from what I saw outside of that horrific inning. It's pretty clear he is a shell of his former self, but I still have some faith in him, I just don't think we will get anything more than a solid #5 production out of him and that's ok for this season if the other guys step up.

Chappy
05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Trade trade trade....what we should have done before the season started.

No one will trade for him at this point.

Sparky12
05-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I just can't see him remaining this bad for too much longer. He looked better today from what I saw outside of that horrific inning. It's pretty clear he is a shell of his former self, but I still have some faith in him, I just don't think we will get anything more than a solid #5 production out of him and that's ok for this season if the other guys step up.

Lets hope it gets better, the control is what has concerned me mainly, the walks combined with all the pitches just hung down the middle the keep getting crushed. He needs o live down

TheHurl
05-07-2013, 01:18 AM
the HR/FB rate and the LOB rate are insanely off from his traditional rates. Got to figure there is an improvement coming. Also he's normally averaging over 7 IP per start at this point, he might actually have something left in the second half.

Iluvbj's
05-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Lets hope it gets better, the control is what has concerned me mainly, the walks combined with all the pitches just hung down the middle the keep getting crushed. He needs o live down

Yep and he's been up in the zone all year. He seems to be pitching way to much over the heart of the plate. He needs to watch some video from a guy like Frank Tanana. Remember him? That guy lived on the corners at the end of his career with stuff quite similar to Mark's. But this guy has been up and out over the plate since game 1 and it's showing in his numbers. His command needs to improve drastically and that's what bothers and worries me. If we could see some improvement, it would be much easier to be patient. But he's not even close to being anywhere he needs to be and that's a recipe for a guy to have an ERA right where his is.

KSaw
05-07-2013, 03:22 AM
2010-2013 he has stunk for the first 5 weeks. Aside from the one inning Mark looked pretty good last night. He are innings, threw over 100 pitches and didn't allow any more runs. This is the time of year he tends to come around, at least the last few years.

Chappy
05-07-2013, 03:31 AM
I actually think he will get stronger, I am just not sure it will be what many might be hoping for though. If he can give us ~4.50ERA for the next while that would be acceptable. He can eat innings and we are going to need him too.

eastcoastjaysfan
05-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Buehrle is so reliant on the defense behind him to be successful... With the way these clowns have played out there... can't see him living up to his averages.

Jonzo
05-07-2013, 06:27 AM
He's just being inconsistent. Last night he wasn't bad except for that terrible inning.

I'm not sure there's anything we can do with him, I don't think anyone would take his contract at this point...

CHRIS
05-07-2013, 06:32 AM
I think if he gets the ball down and stops giving up so many homeruns, he'll be okay. Not great, but okay.

dineke
05-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I think if he gets the ball down and stops giving up so many homeruns, he'll be okay. Not great, but okay.

Yep, he can't possibly not get better, but he'll be the most overpaid fifth starter for the next 2 years lol.

fatcowxlive
05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Run him out until JJ comes back. Then eventually throw him in the BP or put him on waivers if he gets beat out by Happ and Romero

dineke
05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Run him out until JJ comes back. Then eventually throw him in the BP or put him on waivers if he gets beat out by Happ and Romero

No possible way he would be claimed on waivers and he's not going into the BP.

HERPDERP
05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Put him on waivers. The Dodgers will get him.

fatcowxlive
05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
No possible way he would be claimed on waivers and he's not going into the BP.

You never know... there are teams with a lot of $$$ and are very dumn *cough*Dodgers*cough*

CHRIS
05-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Yep, he can't possibly not get better, but he'll be the most overpaid fifth starter for the next 2 years lol.

Yeah, no doubt he's overpaid, but he's better than what he's shown. I think. From a silver lining perspective, not giving up another run after the 7-run inning was a plus.

Metallijay
05-07-2013, 12:51 PM
We are stuck with im, his location has been the issue, many pitches over the heart of the plate, falling behind. A guy like buerhle lives and dies with his control, he has to be on the corners. His FB is the same as last year, so its not velocity, you dont need to throw 95 MPH to win at this level.

mitchf
05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't really care about him to be honest. I like watching him throw meatballs and make hitters question themselves when he's successful.

G-Snarls
05-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't really care about him to be honest. I like watching him throw meatballs and make hitters question themselves when he's successful.

It's just way too often that they get to him though

He's the one starter who literally hasn't had a good game yet that I can recall. All the others have had some stinkers, but at least a couple good ones. MB has been beat up every single time.

mitchf
05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
It's just way too often that they get to him though

He's the one starter who literally hasn't had a good game yet that I can recall. All the others have had some stinkers, but at least a couple good ones. MB has been beat up every single time.
Didn't he 2 R/7 IP the Yanks?

G-Snarls
05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Didn't he 2 R/7 IP the Yanks?

Def possible... I don't recall. I may have missed that one.

mitchf
05-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Def possible... I don't recall. I may have missed that one.
7IP/2ER/7K vs Wells/Overbay/Hafner.

GD
05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
he gets beat out by Happ and Romero

You know you're bad when..

cesarb182
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
He should just quit baseball and go sell some hotdogs in the stands

Dr Negative
05-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Ride him out for the year and trade him to the Dodgers in the 2014 offseason.

Clomero
05-07-2013, 09:05 PM
hey after wells was traded for napoli with that cash you never know with some looney bin gms out there

Dr Negative
05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
He'd probably do great in the NL West.

SirBJay
05-07-2013, 09:25 PM
He'd probably do great in the NL West.

Maybe the Jays can give him to the Dodgers as a more expensive option to replace the shitty Capuano.

Dick_Pole
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Offer him up for Halladay and hope Philly bites.

SirBJay
05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Overpaid veteran in the decline of his career.

Amaro will sign that deal right after he cleans up the mess in his pants.

Forget Halladay though, he's damaged goods at this point.

JaysZee
05-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Offer him up for Halladay and hope Philly bites.

I would 100 percent do that. I dont think Halladay will want to come back though

wilko
05-07-2013, 11:48 PM
I would 100 percent do that. I dont think Halladay will want to come back though

Yeah Doc's doing great this year...

GD
05-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah Doc's doing great this year...

The very thought of Doc in the AL East again... *shudder*

Dick_Pole
05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
The very thought of Doc in the AL East again... *shudder*

I shudder worse with Buehlre

GD
05-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I shudder worse with Buehlre