MIN 0
    Warmup
    10:10 PM ET
Page 3 of 148 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Ryan Goins stick?

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Point is,if a player in a defensive position has shown and has proven he can play plus defense, combined with a small sampling of offense to go with, he's definitely worth the look.
    He has not shown and has certainly not proven that he can play plus defense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    He has not shown and has certainly not proven that he can play plus defense.
    Really? I guess playing defense in the minors is easier then. What a retarded statement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    But he hasn't proven that he can play plus defense, and we know his offense is going to be well below-average.
    All reports on Goins' defense has been plus. I've watched him play a few times in Buffalo and always been slick with a great arm. So far up here he's shown to have great middle infield fundamentals. IMO, it's his offense that's in question. I always thought this was a given with Goins.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Really? I guess playing defense in the minors is easier then. What a retarded statement.
    Defensive scouting reports in the minors are next to useless due to the complete inability to scout range. You're literally better off regressing to the mean 100% than using any defensive scouting reports.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    I've watched him play a few times in Buffalo and always been slick with a great arm. So far up here he's shown to have great middle infield fundamentals.
    Sounds like a defensive scouting report. AKA, no mention of the most important attribute. Which is probably wise because you can't possibly deduce it on your own (and neither can a set of "trained" eyes). You'd just fall victim to attribute substitution and project based on something loosely related.

Thanks
    See my post above. It happens all the time that players who draw rave reviews from scouts for their defense are actually below-average defensively. The human eye is really, really bad at evaluating defense, and everything we've heard about Goins' defense is pretty meaningless.

Jeter is one of the worst defensive shortstops ever and people who have seen him hundreds of times think he's elite.
    Understood. Time will tell I guess, but what do you think of his defense so far from what you've seen?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Excuse me sir, but I think you may have been dropped on your head as a young child.

Ryan Goins is 25 years old and he had an 89 wRC+ in AAA this year. Digest that information for a minute, and then tell me you honestly think he's a major league starter.

Truthfully, Melky and Lind would both very probably be much better options at their respective positions than Goins would be at 2B. 2B is as glaring a hole as C and SP.

C - top priority due to weakness of current player and position trickle down effect on starting rotation. A one year vet stop gap would be fine.
    SP - co-top priority due to glaring overall weakness and lack of depth.
    2B - near top priority due to weakness of current penciled in starter (Mouser). Goins and Kawasaki provide decent depth, but neither are major league starters. Izturis should probably be let go in the offseason, since both Kawasaki and Goins would be better bench players (they can actually play SS).
    DH/LF - upgrades highly recommended if there are enough funds. Worst case scenario, Lind and Melky should be below average but positive contributors in 2014 (assuming some leg health bounce back from Melky).

Also, great job with " innefinciancies"
    Reality check. You are way out of line as are the usual crew on here who are like a roving mob of stats heros who seemingly lack real perspective. How many times do one of you decide an idea about a player or a trade are absurd because some stat is pulling at your head ? Seriously, get real, if the Jays can get by on one "weakness" they can address other weaknesses first. Who the hell knows if Goins can make it, but there is no reason to argue about whether he can in an insulting fashion.

The more people post on here the more the absurdity of the small world here is revealed. We have the Bobbsy Twins ( BTS and Boxcar ) insulting or threatening anyone who dares disagree with them. Just who are these people ? Well, we know that BTS is a self admitted ex-thug who is "reformed". Boxcar is some young adult who is considering going to trade school. Nothing wrong with these people based on that EXCEPT when they get insulting about others who are actually putting up very reasonable opinions on baseball. And let's be real, its baseball. Its not life.

Just about the worst post on here was from "The Hurl" who was supportive of BTS threatening to physically attack a poster with his lethal hands. Well, I suppose its debatable which of them was being a bigger dik, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Seriously, the little gang of stats bangers here that follow each other around congratulating each other and their crass posts is absurd. I don't really care who likes me in this little world, but it would certainly be a more realistic board if more people simply confronted these guys when they are being assholes on what seems to be a daily basis.

And to be 100% clear, the idea that the poster must have been dropped on his head to believe Goins has any chance to crack the lineup is STUPID. Worse players have had careers in baseball, and you cannot possibly tell whether he'll beat the odds or not.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cooler Heads Prevail For This Useful Post:

gruber92 (08-28-2013),JSFIP (09-03-2013),TBJ12 (08-28-2013),theblujay (08-28-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,813 Times in 4,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooler Heads Prevail View Post
    Reality check.
    Not really

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Just about the worst post on here was from "The Hurl" who was supportive of BTS threatening to physically attack a poster with his lethal hands. Well, I suppose its debatable which of them was being a bigger dik, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.
    Good to see nothing gets by you.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:

Gen.Disarray (08-30-2013),P2F (08-28-2013),Spanky99 (08-29-2013)

Thanks
    Do you honestly believe Goins has a shot at being an above replacement level MLB player? At best he's the super utility Boni was supposed to be without the OF versatility.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Please try to leave my past out of this. I've come a long way.
    At least you finally took down your old avatar of you wielding your 9 with your nose covered in a mysterious white substance. I ventured upstairs a while back to ask mother what that substance could be. I did not like what she implied you might be into.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,811 Times in 5,443 Posts
    Reality check. You are way out of line as are the usual crew on here who are like a roving mob of stats heros who seemingly lack real perspective. How many times do one of you decide an idea about a player or a trade are absurd because some stat is pulling at your head ? Seriously, get real, if the Jays can get by on one "weakness" they can address other weaknesses first. Who the hell knows if Goins can make it, but there is no reason to argue about whether he can in an insulting fashion.

The more people post on here the more the absurdity of the small world here is revealed. We have the Bobbsy Twins ( BTS and Boxcar ) insulting or threatening anyone who dares disagree with them. Just who are these people ? Well, we know that BTS is a self admitted ex-thug who is "reformed". Boxcar is some young adult who is considering going to trade school. Nothing wrong with these people based on that EXCEPT when they get insulting about others who are actually putting up very reasonable opinions on baseball. And let's be real, its baseball. Its not life.

Seriously, the little gang of stats bangers here that follow each other around congratulating each other and their crass posts is absurd. I don't really care who likes me in this little world, but it would certainly be a more realistic board if more people simply confronted these guys when they are being assholes on what seems to be a daily basis.

And to be 100% clear, the idea that the poster must have been dropped on his head to believe Goins has any chance to crack the lineup is STUPID. Worse players have had careers in baseball, and you cannot possibly tell whether he'll beat the odds or not.
    I haven't even posted in this thread, dick. Leave me out of your little stat wars.

Also, Ryan Goins sucks. Just like Thames, Sierra and the other hundreds of guys not good enough to stick at the big league level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

Banned
    Thanks
    All reports on Goins' defense has been plus. I've watched him play a few times in Buffalo and always been slick with a great arm. So far up here he's shown to have great middle infield fundamentals. IMO, it's his offense that's in question. I always thought this was a given with Goins.
    Who knows how he will do but on a team that has very few position prospects that make it and all the so far unwarranted hype about Gose I think its a breath of fresh air when one of these guys doesn't immediately fail on joining the team. Every time somebody does this it helps push the vets on a team that is far too comfortable being losers.

I would presume they'll fix whatever weaknesses based on what the market allows, and if 2B doesn't get addressed it isn't lethal if other trouble spots are taken care of. Lawrie solves part of their early season problems in my opinion, I think he'll have a huge year next season. I'd love to see Cano on this team but fiscally it might not be smart, really hard to say because it would be a huge upgrade at 2B. New CA and one very solid SP would go a long way towards fixing this team. Who knows what players will be interested in Toronto, but any hitter looking to upgrade their offence might like the Homer Dome ( aka Rogers Center ), and they might havea great offence next season with one major addition.

Thanks
    Please try to leave my past out of this. I've come a long way.

BTW, where can I get a pair of those? Gangstaaaaaa

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I haven't even posted in this thread, dick. Leave me out of your little stat wars.

Also, Ryan Goins sucks. Just like Thames, Sierra and the other hundreds of guys not good enough to stick at the big league level.
    Stats wars ? I didn't post I believe in a week. However, the underlying tone of negativity on this forum continued, with support from a moderator.
    And it is very clear there is a small mob of posters who feel controlling the discussions on here is their role. When a thread is dedicated to
    trashing Goins, hardly an impact player and hardly failing in his little trial at the moment, it all gets very stupid.

Thanks
    Stats wars ? I didn't post I believe in a week. However, the underlying tone of negativity on this forum continued, with support from a moderator.
    And it is very clear there is a small mob of posters who feel controlling the discussions on here is their role. When a thread is dedicated to
    trashing Goins, hardly an impact player and hardly failing in his little trial at the moment, it all gets very stupid.
    They are trashing the idea of Goins in a starting role on a supposedly competitive team.