PHI
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shi Davidi/John Lott Great Expectations: The Lost Season

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsnarls View Post
    Anything he had like that was probably already posted on Sportsnet this summer. I don't see him "saving up" any doozies.
    Yeah that's why this book seems so uninteresting to me. I doubt I'd learn anything by reading it. And it would be a miserable experience.

It also has little to no coffee table value.

Thanks
    If a book was ever written for the sake of a book being written, this was it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    Found a excerpt from Great Expectations: The Lost Season. Download from the link below, I tried to upload it here but the 216 KB file was too big to upload.

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/46251716/file.html
    Awesome.. Thank you. I downloaded it, I will read it right now!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,237 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Awesome.. Thank you. I downloaded it, I will read it right now and then give Gordie the cliffnotes because he's a lazy motherfucker who doesn't want to take up 216 kb worth of precious hard drive space with a shitty book!
    Ftfy
    Rasmus Dinger............................................ .................................................. ................ FUCK GIBBONS!! cf

Thanks
    Through the first two pages It speaks about the 2012 season and John Farrell.... Basically AA had begun to lose his faith in Farrell as early as Spring Training 2012. Farrell + some players wanted AA to make a splash at the 2012 deadline, AA stood pat and said no. I believe all AA did that trade deadline was the Happ trade, which was awful itself. Story goes on to explain the Escobar situation. Not much said about that, other than what we already knew.

Farrell wanted to play Hech everyday when he had his stint in the majors, but AA told him no. (!!!) Says AA wanted to use Hech as a vital trade chip in the offseason and didn't want to diminish his value.

During a year end team meeting, AA asked Farrell "If Boston calls, do you want to go?" Farrell said "yes that's my dream job" ( ). Boston phoned the next day, and Farrell was traded away.

Says the Blue Jays were at a pivotal time, no longer wanting to wait for for prospects to come up because the fans and front office were getting impatient. Jays needed a radical make over yayayaya

End of the Prologue

Chapter 1 (14 pages !)

End of the 2012 season, AA was tired of baseball. Normally this would be the time for the year end meeting etc, but AA told everyone in the front office to go home and take a break.

AA's first order of business was talking to Farrell. Conversations had many tense moments, Farrell complained about AA not giving himself enough input, AA said Farrell didn't speak up when he had the chance to give input.

The Red Sox called asking about Farrell at the end of 2011, and the Jays demanded Clay Buchholz in return. Calls ended after that. (lol) Red Sox called following the meeting 2012 about Farrell, Beeston handled the negotiations and AA gave a little input (does this tell you anything?). Jays were originally wanting Ellsbury and De La Rosa, and Red Sox wanted to give Chris Carpenter. A week later the jays settled on Aviles, deal was completed.

Farrell shit is done

Rogers gave AA a payroll limit to $105 million before the offseason started. AA was looking for players who teams would be motivated to move, rather than players under long term control. AA says "We could do trade for players under long term control, but it would take so much effort and time, that why don't we just go after teams who's players are willing to trade away?" (god damn).

Jays had called White Sox about Jake Peavy, LAA about Dan Haren, and kept a close eye on Anibal Sanchez. Were also interested in Greinke, but he wanted more than 5 years which went past team policy of contracts.

Talks with White Sox were picking up about peavy. AA had a deal in place to acquire Peavy, in deal the Sox would have absorbed about $4 million of his price tag. AA talked to Rogers for hours, and they agreed that they would up the payroll if it was what AA wanted to do. Peavy signed an extension with ChiSox, Jays deal came to a hault.

Explanation about Gomes/Aviles for Rogers trade, AA needed inexpensive relief help and he was also deep in talks with Izturis at the time. Jays felt Izturis would be an upgrade on Aviles, trade was completed.

Winter meetings! Before WM started, AA took a trip to Miami to meet with Anibal Sanchez. Jays felt Sanchez was the most likely free agent SP to sign. (Says jays were also interested in Iwakuma on Mariners, but he signed an extension and he came off the board.) AA/Lacava went out for dinner with Sanchez+wife on day1, Sanchez' parents and grandparents on day2. AA offered 5 year deal, said to Sanchez agent, "Can we try and get this done quickly, we are trying to be aggressive here." Sanchez deal fell through because he was asking for 8 years, and it would take too long as Sanchez+wife wanted to head to Toronto to see the city first.

AA had talks with Beinfest in July 2012 about Buehrle, Reyes, Johnson, but talks failed. At WM, Marlins say "Johnson will be had for Hech and Nicolino.". AA says "We will talk about any of our guys." Marlins say "Shit, You have Syndergaard + all these guys??". AA says deal would have to be expanded, as Johnson only has 1 year of control. AA asks for Bonifacio, then Buehrle, then Reyes. Deal was outlined, AA needed to figure out the money.

Goes on for awhile about payroll constraints, could we actually do this? Stuff. Deal almost fell through because jays didn't want to give Mathis, Marlins didn't want to give Bonifacio (lol). Says AA didn't want to give up Mathis, and take on Buck back because of his salary. Deal was through... AA was out for lunch with his homeboys and they said "If Beest knew why this deal fell through, he'd shoot you." "You're killing this deal because of JOHN BUCK?" "We are getting so much entertainment value back, that's what it's all about." AA called Marlins back, said deal was fine with Buck. And that was that

AAs next mission was straight to Melky. Tried to sell it to Melkys agent that he would be batting in between Reyes and Bautista. Edwin+Bautista both really like Melky. Jays wanted Melky for his defense, ability to play all 3 out field positions (wat?) his contact and speed.

And that's all.
    Last edited by King; 10-27-2013 at 04:31 PM.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

Angrioter (11-02-2013),G-Snarls (10-27-2013),GD (10-27-2013),Gen.Disarray (10-28-2013),Jays (10-27-2013),leaffie (10-27-2013),NorthOf49 (10-27-2013),oakville69 (10-28-2013)

Thanks
    God damn.. Sorry if it's long, I'm trying to pry out the interesting tidbits

8. The Following User Says Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

GeorgiaPeach (10-27-2013)

Thanks
    Fuck me. That was a seller, now I want to buy the book. I REALLY want to read about the Dickey trade.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    "You mean to tell me we’re going to get back two pitchers, Reyes, one of my favourite players, and Bonifacio. We’re going to have a track team. We’re selling entertainment, that’s
    what it’s all about." Paul Beeston

"Track team?? Entertainment?"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    "You mean to tell me we’re going to get back two pitchers, Reyes, one of my favourite players, and Bonifacio. We’re going to have a track team. We’re selling entertainment, that’s
    what it’s all about." Paul Beeston

"Track team?? Entertainment?"
    Would that be why AAs original plan fell through, "develop prospects and patiently wait."? GOTTA SELL THE TICKETS AND THE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE BEEST

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    "The guy’s got a great glove. He’s a decent leadoff hitter. He can steal bases. But is he worth the seven and half million dollars a year that the Boston Red Sox are paying him? No. No. Baseball thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody, I’m-I’m ostracized. I’m-I’m-I’m a leper. " - Peter Brand Moneyball

We’re going to have a track team. We’re selling entertainment, that’s what it’s all about." Paul Beeston

And I'm not trying to be a "revolutionary" here... it just boggles my mind that Beeston still thinks this way after the real "revolutionaries" worked it out 30 years ago.

All Star
    Thanks
    Would that be why AAs original plan fell through, "develop prospects and patiently wait."? GOTTA SELL THE TICKETS AND THE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE BEEST

I don't think there's much doubt that the change in direction came from the top, but there were also hints by Bautista and Farrell around July 2012 that they wanted the team to get help. Arguably the Happ trade was made to calm them down a bit, although it doesn't mean it wasn't stupid. I don't think the original plan failed, I don't think it was given a fair shot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ElNik2013 View Post
    I don't think there's much doubt that the change in direction came from the top, but there were also hints by Bautista and Farrell around July 2012 that they wanted the team to get help. Arguably the Happ trade was made to calm them down a bit, although it doesn't mean it wasn't stupid. I don't think the original plan failed, I don't think it was given a fair shot.
    Pretty true. There was pressure from the players/coaching staff for a big splash to be made. AA changed course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Okay now I might give this book a chance, thanks King. Some interesting (and predictable) tidbits in there. Everything we think we know about the FO is turning out to be true.

All Star
    Thanks
    Pretty true. There was pressure from the players/coaching staff for a big splash to be made. AA changed course.

Yup. They were also clearly desperate to not strike out and end up empy-handed so they put themselves in a bad negotiating position. I still think the rebuild was going well, not great, but needed patience which clearly upper management didn't have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    "At WM, Marlins say "Johnson will be had for Hech and Nicolino.""

If true, the trade is worse than I ever imagined. We win the above exchange handily, if indeed it were offered. But then AA decides to give up Escobar, Alvarez, and Marisnick for Bonifacio and the the back-loaded years of Reyes and Buehrle's free agent contracts. Unbelievable. His incompetence continues to astonish.
    I can't wait to read about the Dickey trade! That should be fucking great.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ElNik2013 View Post
    Yup. They were also clearly desperate to not strike out and end up empy-handed so they put themselves in a bad negotiating position. I still think the rebuild was going well, not great, but needed patience which clearly upper management didn't have.
    Had we not made the Happ/Marlins/Dickey trade, we would be in a great position prospect wise for sure. We would have a huge log jam coming up to AAA/MLB. the depth would be amazing...ugh.

All Star
    Thanks

If true, the trade is worse than I ever imagined. We win the above exchange handily, if indeed it were offered. But then AA decides to give up Escobar, Alvarez, and Marisnick for Bonifacio and the the back-loaded years of Reyes and Buehrle's free agent contracts. Unbelievable. His incompetence continues to astonish.

The Marlins got Jacob Turner for 2 1/2 months of Anibal Sanchez, I would think they would've demanded more for 1 season of JJ so I doubt this is true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,199 Posts
    The thought of A. Sanchez being so close to being a Jay is crushing.

Thanks
    The incompetence displayed by AA in that preview is a little astounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthOf49 View Post
    Watching the game pollutes your perspective on what's actually happening.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,237 Posts

Our rotation was very nearly

Morrow
    Sanchez
    Johnson
    Alvarez
    Romero/Happ

With Marisnick and Synder still in the system and Escobar at short. ugh.
    Rasmus Dinger............................................ .................................................. ................ FUCK GIBBONS!! cf