Page 182 of 186 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184 ... LastLast
Results 2,897 to 2,912 of 2963

Thread: The TV Show Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-t...nt-1202207065/

Amazon paid Tolkein's estate $250 million for the rights to produce a Lord of the Rings TV show.
    They needed to do something. I currently have Amazon Video as part of a free trial of Prime and compared to Netflix it's rubbish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    They needed to do something. I currently have Amazon Video as part of a free trial of Prime and compared to Netflix it's rubbish.
    There is so much overlap between the two that if you have Netflix there is almost no reason to have Amazon Video as Netflix original shows are so much better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    There is so much overlap between the two that if you have Netflix there is almost no reason to have Amazon Video as Netflix original shows are so much better.
    Agree re original shows but unfortunately the UK Netflix doesn't have nearly the same catalogue as the US (and I assume the Canadian) Netflix because of different licensing issues.

Thanks
    Agree re original shows but unfortunately the UK Netflix doesn't have nearly the same catalogue as the US (and I assume the Canadian) Netflix because of different licensing issues.
    I forget that you're from across the pond. I wonder if your Netflix is less expansive than ours.

Thanks
    I forget that you're from across the pond. I wonder if your Netflix is less expansive than ours.
    The standard package is roughly C$13 (8) a month.

Thanks
    The standard package is roughly C$13 (8).
    I meant not as much content provided.

Thanks
    I meant not as much content provided.
    Haha, misread your comment. Yes some of the big tv shows like Walking Dead aren't on Netflix over here, and we are missing a lot of movies too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 898 Posts
    This LOTR spinoff is going to either be great or terrible. It's a massive undertaking and the fan base is rabid... But if they can pull this off and do it right, wow!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    This LOTR spinoff is going to either be great or terrible. It's a massive undertaking and the fan base is rabid... But if they can pull this off and do it right, wow!
    Its issues could be that it'll be criticised by fans of the book as not being true to the lore, and at the same time fans of the movies will always compare it to the films.

It's meant to be a prequel to the movies, so book fans will want the Silmarillion. It's more likely to be a cross between Shadow of Mordor and game of thrones.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,030 Times in 5,010 Posts
    http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-t...nt-1202207065/

Amazon paid Tolkein's estate $250 million for the rights to produce a Lord of the Rings TV show.
    Sounds like a pretty stupid idea. I don't see that translating well to a TV show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

Thanks
    Yeah but you get Amazon video free with a prime membership which a lot of people had anyway.
    Frag are you alive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Yeah but you get Amazon video free with a prime membership which a lot of people had anyway.
    Ya that's how I have it. I just find that it's a bit clunky feeling and with most of the content on Netflix which is easier to use both on a computer and on my iPad, I have no real reason to ever use it. Are there any shows on just Amazon that are worth checking out? Maria Bamford's show is pretty good and that's exclusive to Amazon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Sounds like a pretty stupid idea. I don't see that translating well to a TV show.
    The problem is that it's following up Game of Thrones which has been really good and has a lot of tits/violence/gore/etc. Lord of the Rings won't be able to match that stuff. I just feel like it will fall short of GoT and that's not good when it takes 250 mil just to get the rights. I also think LOTR might be a little overvalued as a property. The original trilogy obviously did well, but I feel like the Hobbit trilogy underwhelmed.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,670 Times in 4,819 Posts
    Yeah the Hobbit movies sucked farts.

I think the LoTR movies are too fresh for the TV show to be a smash hit. I'm sure it will make enough money because it'll be like vanilla ice cream. We live in an entertainment environment where The Walking Dead gets two separate shows and 15 some-odd seasons worth of content (and counting).

It's so weird though. There are so many god damn awesome fantasy writers/novels/series out there. You could pick any number of them.

Of GOT was such a home run why not just do some other series? Glen Cook, RA Salvatore, Terry Pratchett, Steven Erickson, Terry Brooks, I dunno - I don't know who's good but my dad has read everything and I know those names. Surely you could just make a big budget GOT rip and roll around in the money.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Terminator (11-13-2017)

Thanks
    The problem is that it's following up Game of Thrones which has been really good and has a lot of tits/violence/gore/etc. Lord of the Rings won't be able to match that stuff. I just feel like it will fall short of GoT and that's not good when it takes 250 mil just to get the rights. I also think LOTR might be a little overvalued as a property. The original trilogy obviously did well, but I feel like the Hobbit trilogy underwhelmed.
    LotR doesn't have the complex political landscape I think you need in that type of setting for a long running TV show. That's why I think the Witcher would work but LotR wouldn't. Sauron is bad, Mordor is bad, yada yada. Good guys vs. bad guys makes for shitty TV imo.
    Frag are you alive?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Terminator (11-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,195 Times in 2,338 Posts
    By season 2 there will be a ton of filler episodes of watching Sam and Frodo walking side by side with flashbacks of eating potatoes and singing songs together in The Shire ending with glimpses of Gollum in the shadows behind. Stay tuned for scenes of the next weeks episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Governator For This Useful Post:

P2F (11-14-2017)