Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 183 of 189 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 2,913 to 2,928 of 3016

Thread: The TV Show Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 8,668 Times in 5,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    By season 2 there will be a ton of filler episodes of watching Sam and Frodo walking side by side with flashbacks of eating potatoes and singing songs together in The Shire ending with glimpses of Gollum in the shadows behind. Stay tuned for scenes of the next weeks episode.
    Yeah.

I mean, I'll probably check it out simply because I don't see myself not having prime (free same day shipping is heaven) but I expect it will suck balls and Amazon is dumn. I just hope it doesn't hurt the part of their business that I care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I know King isn't... little prick.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,236 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Yeah.

I mean, I'll probably check it out simply because I don't see myself not having prime (free same day shipping is heaven) but I expect it will suck balls and Amazon is dumn. I just hope it doesn't hurt the part of their business that I care about.
    I'll check it out because I'm a nerd but my expectations will be very low. It's hard to imagine an LOTR TV show where l'll be shocked by anything. OMG Gandalf died. No don't worry he'll be back by season 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,389 Posts
    LotR doesn't have the complex political landscape I think you need in that type of setting for a long running TV show. That's why I think the Witcher would work but LotR wouldn't. Sauron is bad, Mordor is bad, yada yada. Good guys vs. bad guys makes for shitty TV imo.
    I just think it's pretty silly to make a series based on a prequel to the LOTR story.... its takes pretty much any cliffhanger type stuff away since everyone knows what happens later.

If anything, they should start the series after the movies and tell all new stories about The Age of Men.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    I just think it's pretty silly to make a series based on a prequel to the LOTR story.... its takes pretty much any cliffhanger type stuff away since everyone knows what happens later.

If anything, they should start the series after the movies and tell all new stories about The Age of Men.
    To be fair all we know is that it's set before the lotr movies timeline, so it can easily be a standalone story with small nods to later events. I mean the hobbit is technically a prequel and that stands on its own (the book and storyline even though the films sucked).

The lore behind lotr is very deep so there's tons of settings and timelines a series could take place in. I also doubt the Tolkien estate would allow a series set as a sequel. Lotr is the end point of thousands of years of history in the lore.

Thanks
    Just seen the 4th episode of the new walking dead season and the named character death was a lot move moving than the one in the 3rd episode!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,017 Times in 3,844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    To be fair all we know is that it's set before the lotr movies timeline, so it can easily be a standalone story with small nods to later events. I mean the hobbit is technically a prequel and that stands on its own (the book and storyline even though the films sucked).

The lore behind lotr is very deep so there's tons of settings and timelines a series could take place in. I also doubt the Tolkien estate would allow a series set as a sequel. Lotr is the end point of thousands of years of history in the lore.
    The Hobbit was written before LOTR and originally intended as a stand-alone. That makes a big difference. It wasn't trying to retro-fit anything. It was just there and LOTR built off of it not the other way around. The movies tried to turn The Hobbit into an elaborate prequel trilogy (because those have such a good track record). Instead of sticking to what was on the page, they tried to closely ape the tone and structure of the LOTR trilogy messed it up. In this case, they are going to do that and not even be basing it on source material (rumor is they are not doing the Silmarillion even though that's something many fans would actually want).

DONOR
    Thanks

That's true, but that ending point was also a very clear starting point to something new and potentially amazing.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    The Hobbit was written before LOTR and originally intended as a stand-alone. That makes a big difference. It wasn't trying to retro-fit anything. It was just there and LOTR built off of it not the other way around. The movies tried to turn it into an elaborate prequel trilogy (because those have such a good track record). Instead of sticking to what was on the page, they tried to ape the tone and structure of LOTR and they messed it up. In this case, they are going to do that and not even be basing it on source material (rumor is they are not doing the ceven though that's something many fans would actually want).
    The Hobbit was the first part of the lore that Tolkien turned into a novel, but he had set out the history and written many stories set years before. He had hundreds of notes and stories that over time his estate has formed into books like the Silmarillion, most of which were initially worked on before both lotr and the hobbit, then developed later on, but only published after Tolkien's death.

The success of the Hobbit got him a publishing deal for what became lotr, the final chapter to the thousands of years of history that he developed over the majority of his life. The Hobbit is only standalone from the point of view that it wouldn't really lose much from its story if the rest of the lore didn't exist, not that it was written before the lore existed.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    4 years behind, but season 4 of Arrested Development is not good.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    4 years behind, but season 4 of Arrested Development is not good.
    It was so bad that I couldn't finish watching the season. And what the hell happened to Lindsay's face?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    It was so bad that I couldn't finish watching the season. And what the hell happened to Lindsay's face?
    I’m determined to finish, but it’s a grind. It’s just not very good at all. I don’t understand the 75% rotten tomatoes score.

And yeah, Lindsay’s face is one of the first things I noticed. I’m up to episode 12 and I’m still uncomfortable every time she’s on screen. Don’t get plastic surgery, kids.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Punisher started Friday... episode 1 was pretty decent. Not quite sure what to make of it yet
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 8,601 Times in 6,611 Posts
    I've finally finished up The League(lulz, love Taco) and Boardwalk Empire(highly recommend), moving on to Game Of Thrones, I hope it's as good as the hype, kind of excited. Yay!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'm a huge Star Wars nut. Seen both of them. If you like TCW you'll like Rebels. Dave Filoni is in charge of both.

I think I like TCW a little more but it's really close. The first two seasons of TCW weren't very good but it gets better after that. Rebels doesn't have any bad seasons IMO but it has a smaller budget (George Lucas poured his personal money into TCW) and it's made for a younger target audience. It also relies heavily on tying up some loose ends from TCW. When you finish it let me know what you think!
    I just finished the 3rd season (all the ones on DVD) and while I enjoyed it I liked TCW a lot more. I felt like I connected with the characters more in TCW. I disagree with you that the first 2 seasons of TCW were slow. I didn't really see it like that. It was difficult for me to connect with the characters in Rebels and I had no problem with that in TCW because many of them had their own dedicated episodes whereas Rebels was more ensemble. I don't know if it's because that was 6 seasons and I've only seen 3 in Rebels. I liked Rebels though and it was worth the like $35 the DVDs cost.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bendera3 For This Useful Post:

Terminator (11-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    I just finished the 3rd season (all the ones on DVD) and while I enjoyed it I liked TCW a lot more. I felt like I connected with the characters more in TCW. I disagree with you that the first 2 seasons of TCW were slow. I didn't really see it like that. It was difficult for me to connect with the characters in Rebels and I had no problem with that in TCW because many of them had their own dedicated episodes whereas Rebels was more ensemble. I don't know if it's because that was 6 seasons and I've only seen 3 in Rebels. I liked Rebels though and it was worth the like $35 the DVDs cost.
    Nice, thanks for the update. I think as time goes on this will be the consensus opinion. A lot of Rebels' best moments rely on tying up TCW characters and plotlines anyway. I do like them both though. Season 4 of Rebels started off with a poor opening episode but has quickly picked up. I think it's headed for a good finale. I suppose a really good close could tip the scales for Rebels and that might happen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Nice, thanks for the update. I think as time goes on this will be the consensus opinion. A lot of Rebels' best moments rely on tying up TCW characters and plotlines anyway. I do like them both though. Season 4 of Rebels started off with a poor opening episode but has quickly picked up. I think it's headed for a good finale. I suppose a really good close could tip the scales for Rebels and that might happen.
    maybe but I just think TCW will be the best animated Star Wars series. unless something completely different and shocking happens in Rebels I can't imagine it being better than TCW

Maybe it's because I connected with Ashoka more than Ezra and his gang. She was just so likeable