Thanks
    Thanked 5,857 Times in 3,740 Posts
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

fatcowxlive (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,167 Posts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:

fatcowxlive (04-05-2014),P2F (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,138 Posts
    RIP Jim Flaherty.

Really sad news. One of the only remaining decent politicians out there. Literally JUST retired too.

Terrible.
    "My name is Munenori Kawasaki, and I am from Japan"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastjaysfan View Post
    RIP Jim Flaherty.

Really sad news. One of the only remaining decent politicians out there. Literally JUST retired too.

Terrible.
    Grew up with his sons, damn. Met him a few times, very respectful man. I had a feeling he was having some health issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Grew up with his sons, damn. I had a feeling he was having some health issues.
    He sounded like a really decent person. Obviously people will associate him as being an evil conservative... but he was a rarity in that party. Politics have become so dirty but he remained fiscally conserative, straight shooter, and honest as hell. Seemed like he was a very honorable person.

That's a big loss for our country.
    "My name is Munenori Kawasaki, and I am from Japan"

Thanks
    He sounded like a really decent person. Obviously people will associate him as being an evil conservative... but he was a rarity in that party. Politics have become so dirty but he remained fiscally conserative, straight shooter, and honest as hell. Seemed like he was a very honorable person.

That's a big loss for our country.
    Agreed. He had one of the hardest jobs in politics, but for the most part was very well respected. He and his wife are well respected in Whitby.

Between him and Layton, we've lost the good ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,028 Posts
    My grandparents are conservatives from Whitby and they absolutely adore him. They'll be devastated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Yes. There's only one Real min.

Thanks
    RIP Jim Flaherty.

Terrible.
    Talked to him very briefly less than two weeks ago. Very shocking news. Most reports are now indicating a heart attack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMin View Post
    My grandparents are conservatives from Whitby and they absolutely adore him. They'll be devastated.
    He and his wife have been great to the community. I remember Jim coming into my social studies classes in elementary school to talk to us.

Thanks
    Flaherty's motorcade just passed by on its way to his state funeral in Toronto

Sad day

Thanks
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_c3

Will be very cool, and I do hope it happens but why the hell would we need a 3,280-feet building? lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,077 Posts
    It's a good take on things, Fatcow. A lot of people have the inability to question things our government tells them.

Officially, Canada and the US claim that the poll that was taken regarding joining Russia was flawed - that there were various irregularities and threats. That might shift the vote a little, but the Crimeans aren't going to be so easily swayed in such numbers. I would say at a minimum 90% would rather be part of Russia. Some because they are Russian and feel persecution, but many simply because the Ukraine is a mess.

Usually, a country separates first and the international community supports it. It's unusual for a people to want to transfer nations, so there isn't as much of a precedent. Russia didn't handle things well, by taking the poll as an invitation to seize Crimea by force. If the voters of Crimea are genuine about joining Russia, there are plenty of ways to validate that, and form an agreement as to what gets transferred etc in a fair, equitable way if all parties negotiate in good faith.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamGreenwood For This Useful Post:

fatcowxlive (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    It's a good take on things, Fatcow. A lot of people have the inability to question things our government tells them.

Officially, Canada and the US claim that the poll that was taken regarding joining Russia was flawed - that there were various irregularities and threats. That might shift the vote a little, but the Crimeans aren't going to be so easily swayed in such numbers. I would say at a minimum 90% would rather be part of Russia. Some because they are Russian and feel persecution, but many simply because the Ukraine is a mess.

Usually, a country separates first and the international community supports it. It's unusual for a people to want to transfer nations, so there isn't as much of a precedent. Russia didn't handle things well, by taking the poll as an invitation to seize Crimea by force. If the voters of Crimea are genuine about joining Russia, there are plenty of ways to validate that, and form an agreement as to what gets transferred etc in a fair, equitable way if all parties negotiate in good faith.
    Yup, I agree with you. Russia made something that could have done through an official process (and a slower process) that would have eliminated the shadiness, but they sent unmarked soldiers into Crimea, held a vote and within a week annexed Crimea. It's something truly odd. They should have done it done it in a much better way and a more inclusive way, especially since they knew they would have the big majority vote in this.

On another note an odd thing happened in the news, something that I am sensing as the beginning of the propaganda attack against Russia in this conflict over Ukraine... USA Today released a story on how the pro-Russian controlled Donetsk started sending out letters to force Jewish people in that area to "register" or "will be forced outside the country with a confiscation of property." and for a while (especially on Reddit) it started people to draw comparisons between Putin and Hitler as well as Russia to Nazi Germany. A few hours later, this was "debunked" per-say when the Daily Dot reported that the flyer was “fake” according to Lesley Weiss, the deputy director of the National Conference Supporting Jews (NCSJ) as it's being sent by an unknown source in the area to cause distress and basically a shitstorm in the area. It's really weird stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by havok24 View Post
    1. Integrate the following function "Insert function"
    fatcow's answer: Beltran to 3B.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,506 Posts
    On another (funnier maybe) note, here's an Air Canada baggage handler who got lazy and forgot that the year is 2014, and everyone has a recording device in their pockets lol

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/04/18/ai...ng-at-pearson/

Air Canada's so trash goddamn
    Quote Originally Posted by havok24 View Post
    1. Integrate the following function "Insert function"
    fatcow's answer: Beltran to 3B.

Thanks
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...eats-1.2643790

Ridiculous. They can probably get away with it, because we live in ontario, the monopoly capital of the world

Fuck that, movies are already stupid expensive.

Thanks