Page 748 of 770 FirstFirst ... 248648698738746747748749750758 ... LastLast
Results 11,953 to 11,968 of 12310

Thread: In The News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,953 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    That's not the pic I saw of him earlier, or that's just a very old pic, I guess. Also, that's what his brother said, no signs since they last spoke, and said he must've snapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 973 Posts
    Damn officer gets hit full on by a car and escpaes with reportedly minor enough injuries to leave the hospital? Bad ass if there ever was one. Holy shit.
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Yep, it's a good thing this guy is white, otherwise the whole dialogue would be about radical Islamic terrorism. It's a pointless semantic argument, this man committed an act of terrorism. The fact that he's white, American, and had no religious ideology to speak of, these things have no bearing. It's terrorism all the same.
    No, it isn't.
    Terrorism: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
    There's a growing movement to call all violent crimes terrorism, so it feels like we aren't picking on Muslims.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamGreenwood For This Useful Post:

BTS (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Yep, it's a good thing this guy is white, otherwise the whole dialogue would be about radical Islamic terrorism. It's a pointless semantic argument, this man committed an act of terrorism. The fact that he's white, American, and had no religious ideology to speak of, these things have no bearing. It's terrorism all the same.
    That's how I look at it, mass murder, is what it is.
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    No, it isn't.
    Terrorism: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
    There's a growing movement to call all violent crimes terrorism, so it feels like we aren't picking on Muslims.
    That's the original definition from the French Revolution but in the modern world terrorism can also be used literally to define an act that causes terror.

However, IMO an act of terror isn't terrorism unless it's carried out in the name of an ideology (political / religious etc), e.g. I wouldn't call a school shooter, or someone who kills their family/co-workers, a terrorist.

But more importantly, I don't believe the distinction is important. It doesn't really matter what the twisted justification is for the act.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,783 Times in 4,265 Posts
    No, it isn't.
    So if he just shot people because he hates Donald Trump, is that terrorism? It's arbitrary. We may never know what his intentions were, or if there were any. I don't think intent should really matter, what matters is the act.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-02-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,232 Posts
    All terrorism is mass murder but all mass murder is not terrorism.

Regardless, the distinction here and quibbling over semantics is stupid. The tragedy doesn't need that semantic argument to make its impact any greater/lesser.

It's sickening no matter what you classify it as.

Just saw some footage on CNN, listening to that gunfire over the music for so long before people realized what was happening is just horrifying. Can't even imagine going through something like that and having those feelings of sheer terror running through me.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

jaysblue (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    That's not the pic I saw of him earlier, or that's just a very old pic, I guess.
    I know what you mean, we're so used to psychos having social media profiles that the media releases tons of images straight away. All I've seen of this guy is that photo and one of him with his eyes closed where he looks 20 years older.

Thanks
    I know what you mean, we're so used to psychos having social media profiles that the media releases tons of images straight away. All I've seen of this guy is that photo and one of him with his eyes closed where he looks 20 years older.
    With that Marylou Danley women, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    The post is supposed to respond to the insane assertion that the only reason to own one is to commit mass murder.
    I will admit I think I mis-read Dinger's post. The sentiment I thought he was making was that it isn't about what people ARE doing with their AR-15's, but rather that the purpose of a gun like that is not for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Also, no, using a grenade launcher to hunt would be retarded. That's a pretty dumb comparison.
    this comparison was related to the above and was supposed to be ridiculous as an extreme example. A less extreme example is a hand gun. These weapons are not made for hunting, they are made for killing. People may hunt with a hand gun, but that is not their purpose, and therefore I don't have any issue regulating their ownership.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Apparently the shooter's father was on the FBI's top ten list for years due to armed bank robberies, etc.

Thanks
    All I've seen of this guy is that photo and one of him with his eyes closed where he looks 20 years older.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    With that Marylou Danley women, right?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,094 Posts
    So if he just shot people because he hates Donald Trump, is that terrorism? It's arbitrary. We may never know what his intentions were, or if there were any. I don't think intent should really matter, what matters is the act.
    Since semantics and words don't matter, let's just simplify it all into 'bad' or 'good'.

The reason the terrorism label is important, is because civil rights get suspended for terrorists.
    Governments routinely call people terrorists, and then do as they please to them, because no one defends 'terrorists'.
    Saudi Arabia routinely slaughters political dissidents, but they call them terrorists, so everyone turns a blind eye to it, as long as they keep buying our weapons and undermining OPEC.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamGreenwood For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dinger (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Since semantics and words don't matter, let's just simplify it all into 'bad' or 'good'.

The reason the terrorism label is important, is because civil rights get suspended for terrorists.
    Governments routinely call people terrorists, and then do as they please to them, because no one defends 'terrorists'.
    Saudi Arabia routinely slaughters political dissidents, but they call them terrorists, so everyone turns a blind eye to it, as long as they keep buying our weapons and undermining OPEC.
    Which just shows why the definition isn't important in "lone-wolf" style attacks such as this one. You can't affect the civil rights of a dead man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Shit like this is completely inevitable with American gun laws, I'm just glad we don't have such free access to assault rifles in this country. We will see a dozen more of these in the next 5 years and it won't make any dent in the 2nd Amendment issue.
    I agree that the U.S. does need to have stricter gun laws, though you know that automatic weapons are already illegal to buy without license from feds?

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    I agree that the U.S. does need to have stricter gun laws, though you know that automatic weapons are already illegal to buy without license from feds?
    At this point, stricter gun laws in the US probably doesn't do much anyway (at least to stop these kind of attacks). There's such a large volume of guns out there, the wrong people are gonna get their hands on automatic and semi-automatic ones one way or another if they really want to. It would likely only prevent the odd domestic shooting (reducing that wouldn't be a bad thing though).

I mean, I guess you could ban everything except hunting rifles, etc, but good luck getting that through. The candidate that brought that to the floor probably doesn't make it to the next election. They might not even make it out of the building.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

connorp (10-02-2017),jaysblue (10-02-2017)