Page 749 of 758 FirstFirst ... 249649699739747748749750751 ... LastLast
Results 11,969 to 11,984 of 12116

Thread: In The News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 5,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    I know what you mean, we're so used to psychos having social media profiles that the media releases tons of images straight away. All I've seen of this guy is that photo and one of him with his eyes closed where he looks 20 years older.
    With that Marylou Danley women, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    The post is supposed to respond to the insane assertion that the only reason to own one is to commit mass murder.
    I will admit I think I mis-read Dinger's post. The sentiment I thought he was making was that it isn't about what people ARE doing with their AR-15's, but rather that the purpose of a gun like that is not for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Also, no, using a grenade launcher to hunt would be retarded. That's a pretty dumb comparison.
    this comparison was related to the above and was supposed to be ridiculous as an extreme example. A less extreme example is a hand gun. These weapons are not made for hunting, they are made for killing. People may hunt with a hand gun, but that is not their purpose, and therefore I don't have any issue regulating their ownership.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Apparently the shooter's father was on the FBI's top ten list for years due to armed bank robberies, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    All I've seen of this guy is that photo and one of him with his eyes closed where he looks 20 years older.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    With that Marylou Danley women, right?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    So if he just shot people because he hates Donald Trump, is that terrorism? It's arbitrary. We may never know what his intentions were, or if there were any. I don't think intent should really matter, what matters is the act.
    Since semantics and words don't matter, let's just simplify it all into 'bad' or 'good'.

The reason the terrorism label is important, is because civil rights get suspended for terrorists.
    Governments routinely call people terrorists, and then do as they please to them, because no one defends 'terrorists'.
    Saudi Arabia routinely slaughters political dissidents, but they call them terrorists, so everyone turns a blind eye to it, as long as they keep buying our weapons and undermining OPEC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamGreenwood For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dinger (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    Since semantics and words don't matter, let's just simplify it all into 'bad' or 'good'.

The reason the terrorism label is important, is because civil rights get suspended for terrorists.
    Governments routinely call people terrorists, and then do as they please to them, because no one defends 'terrorists'.
    Saudi Arabia routinely slaughters political dissidents, but they call them terrorists, so everyone turns a blind eye to it, as long as they keep buying our weapons and undermining OPEC.
    Which just shows why the definition isn't important in "lone-wolf" style attacks such as this one. You can't affect the civil rights of a dead man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Shit like this is completely inevitable with American gun laws, I'm just glad we don't have such free access to assault rifles in this country. We will see a dozen more of these in the next 5 years and it won't make any dent in the 2nd Amendment issue.
    I agree that the U.S. does need to have stricter gun laws, though you know that automatic weapons are already illegal to buy without license from feds?

MVP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    I agree that the U.S. does need to have stricter gun laws, though you know that automatic weapons are already illegal to buy without license from feds?
    At this point, stricter gun laws in the US probably doesn't do much anyway (at least to stop these kind of attacks). There's such a large volume of guns out there, the wrong people are gonna get their hands on automatic and semi-automatic ones one way or another if they really want to. It would likely only prevent the odd domestic shooting (reducing that wouldn't be a bad thing though).

I mean, I guess you could ban everything except hunting rifles, etc, but good luck getting that through. The candidate that brought that to the floor probably doesn't make it to the next election. They might not even make it out of the building.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

connorp (10-02-2017),jaysblue (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    At this point, stricter gun laws in the US probably doesn't do much anyway (at least to stop these kind of attacks). There's such a large volume of guns out there, the wrong people are gonna get their hands on automatic and semi-automatic ones one way or another if they really want to. It would likely only prevent the odd domestic shooting (reducing that wouldn't be a bad thing though).

I mean, I guess you could ban everything except hunting rifles, etc, but good luck getting that through. The candidate that brought that to the floor probably doesn't make it to the next election. They might not even make it out of the building.
    You have to start somewhere? It's like a car wreck, I can't stop watching that facebook link every once in a while, that man is sick, the sooner they confiscate these weapons the better.
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Rusty_Savage (10-02-2017)

MVP
    Thanks
    You have to start somewhere? It's like a car wreck, I can't stop watching that facebook link every once in a while, that man is sick, the sooner they confiscate these weapons the better.
    Well, I agree, but we're also looking at it from the point of view of our cultural values. Most Canadians and Americans differ very greatly in this area.

Hopefully it'll keep our politicians sane, and serve as a good reason why we should never relax our own gun laws.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    It is true the USA is inundated with guns of all types, and gun sales are down. Which is why the Hearing Protection Act is currently going through Congress, to ease the restrictions on silencers, and of course, address the declining gun sales with a new toy.

Thanks
    in reply to Boxy's comment about tyrants, Trump is definitely a tyrant, regularly attacking democratic institutions

unconstitutional executive orders, vote suppression commission, attacks on the news media, obstruction of justice, attacking 1st amendment rights, etc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    in reply to Boxy's comment about tyrants, Trump is definitely a tyrant, regularly attacking democratic institutions

unconstitutional executive orders, vote suppression commission, attacks on the news media, obstruction of justice, attacking 1st amendment rights, etc
    Can U 2 take it to the politics thread.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

P2F (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Sad day man... no need for this here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Well, I agree, but we're also looking at it from the point of view of our cultural values. Most Canadians and Americans differ very greatly in this area.

Hopefully it'll keep our politicians sane, and serve as a good reason why we should never relax our own gun laws.
    Agreed, yet how many of these do they need to wake up to, and recall all owners of automatic rifles. They shouldn't be used to kill an animal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Agree somewhat. Though like Abom said, stricter gun laws likely doesn't stop this attack or the severity. The shooter likely still gets these automatic weapons regardless of the gun laws in place.

Also what Abom said about cultural values between Canada and the US holds true. I was down in Texas back in August and any talk about taking their 2A rights away, its a big deal. I understand their point of view to an extent. To them its a constitutional right. A law abiding citizen with a gun mostly isn't a threat. An unlawful citizen with a gun is. As well, the need for self defense is of high importance in those states that border Mexico. The US really can't wipe away the 2A or else that would cause so much civil unrest.

I always have this debate with people when talking about guns: why does a city with strict gun laws like Chicago have one of the highest murder rates/gun deaths in the US while a state like Texas with relaxed gun laws is relatively much safer?