Page 753 of 758 FirstFirst ... 253653703743751752753754755 ... LastLast
Results 12,033 to 12,048 of 12116

Thread: In The News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 12,288 Times in 7,366 Posts
    I agree with Abom. What McConnell said was reasonable. HC taking to twitter yesterday to play politics came off as gross to me. The problem is that he has no intention whatsoever of picking this conversation up off the shelf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,689 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    He said it's premature to discuss legislative solutions for an action that took place one and a half days ago (and for which only the basic facts, and no motive, are known). That's not an unfair or insidious statement. Refusing to take any action or address this in any way in a few weeks or so when it is known, THAT would be insidious (and based on previous history, likely to happen). I very strongly dislike McConnell, and I agree he's played a hand in this through his inaction. I also think you're taking a reasonably worded statement and applying your own (apparently very strong) bias to it.
    Motive is irrelevant. This is just like every other mass shooting. Some nutso went crazy with automatic rifles. Mitch McConnell can't even bring himself to say something like, "It's tragic that these shootings keep happening and something needs to be done." He can't even admit that anything needs to be done, nor will he commit to reviewing or altering gun legislation of any kind. It's a total non-starter for him.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,211 Posts
    4 Canadians now confirmed dead from the Vegas shootings
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    this will blow over, 'prayers for the victims', 'let this bring us together', blah blah

a couple of days from now it will be business as usual, with the GOP and the tyrant working for their NRA masters

Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 5,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    this will blow over, 'prayers for the victims', 'let this bring us together', blah blah

a couple of days from now it will be business as usual, with the GOP and the tyrant working for their NRA masters
    Shut up, douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Interesting.... same day as the Las Vegas shooting, 3 people killed and 2 injured in a mass shooting at University of Kansas.

And, Trump, in February, put his signature on a measure that nixed a regulation initiated by Obama in the wake of other mass shootings, that would have kept guns out of the hands of severely mentally ill people.

Y'all were discussing gun control measures. Two problems - (1) GOP will never, so won't happen until the Dems control Congress and the Presidency, and (2) even if that happens, attempts at gun control may be DOA in the USA, the right leaning Supreme Court will generally rule in favour of the 2nd amendment.

It's SNAFU.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Pistols don't have the ammo capacity and rate of fire to kills dozens of people in a short amount of time. Pistols kill many people in single shootings, however the vast majority of these massacres are committed with assault rifles. I'm not sure why you're trying to be contrarian about this, it's very obvious why people want to target ARs: mass killings are by and large committed with them.
    They have the same rate of fire...

I'm being contrarian because one of these weapons kills more than the other and you're going on a crusade against the type that kills fewer people. It makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I agree with Abom. What McConnell said was reasonable. HC taking to twitter yesterday to play politics came off as gross to me. The problem is that he has no intention whatsoever of picking this conversation up off the shelf.
    How many guns has Hillary Clinton sold to CF donating oppressive governments who use it to crush opposition? Oh, but no problems here getting on her high horse.

Can she please just die of old age already
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

John_Havok (10-04-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    They have the same rate of fire...

I'm being contrarian because one of these weapons kills more than the other and you're going on a crusade against the type that kills fewer people. It makes no sense.
    I'm pretty consistent. I think people don't need anything but bolt action rifles or revolvers....I've just long given up the point of arguing. The 2nd Amendment was created when nobody had anything but muskets and the army had muskets and .... cannons. It was entirely possible that a militia would be needed at any time to fight either a tyrannical government or foreign invaders.

There's just no defense of that way of thinking now. There's no logical argument to be made that people need to own 40+ guns... just cause the 2nd Amendment exists. It's a joke.

It's a joke that you don't need any certification or any training to own a gun.

It's a joke that you don't need to pass any screenings to buy guns at gun shows.

It's a joke that you legally buy weapon modifications to turn legal weapons into illegal ones.

It's a joke that you can legally buy high capacity cannisters for said weapons that hold more than a hundred rounds of ammuniton.

It's a joke that the current leadership of the US is actively removing some of the few blocks to buy weapons and other weapon accessories that have no purpose other than murder.

And it's an even bigger joke that anytime anyone brings up common sense changes like Obama tried on 2013, they get nowhere.

Simply put, America loves guns. All guns. They'd give everyone a fully auto M60 as a sweet 16 gift if they could and figure everyone would be safer that way.

Sorry, kinda went off the rails there at the end.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (10-04-2017),BTS (10-04-2017),Gen.Disarray (10-05-2017),SirBJay (10-04-2017),Spanky99 (10-04-2017),spittin (10-04-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    How many guns has Hillary Clinton sold to CF donating oppressive governments who use it to crush opposition? Oh, but no problems here getting on her high horse.

Can she please just die of old age already
    Agreed. The hypocrisy is astounding, yet .... not surprising at all from her
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    "I think it's particularly inappropriate to politicize an event like this that just happened in the last day and a half. It's entirely premature to be discussing about legislative solutions," McConnell said.

Holy fuck is Mitch McConnell ever a scummy piece of human shit.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dinger (10-04-2017),Spanky99 (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    The leader of the Catalonian government claims that they intend to declare independence. There's a good chance the Spanish government will react by dissolving them or forcibly replacing them.

Spain could be on the brink of an actual civil war.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    The leader of the Catalonian government claims that they intend to declare independence. There's a good chance the Spanish government will react by dissolving them or forcibly replacing them.

Spain could be on the brink of an actual civil war.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/04/cata...r-of-days.html

Political analysts and economists are now waiting with baited breath
    Rly cnbc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergun View Post
    Hit the nail on the head.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,081 Posts
    The problem is not that we're having the conversation as the result of a tragedy.
    The problem is that we didn't have the conversation previously.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    The problem is not that we're having the conversation as the result of a tragedy.
    The problem is that we didn't have the conversation previously.
    The problem is that we can't even have the conversation in the wake of the worst incident yet. We can't ever have it, apparently.