Page 724 of 758 FirstFirst ... 224624674714722723724725726734 ... LastLast
Results 11,569 to 11,584 of 12116

Thread: In The News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I just got around to reading the memo. There was nothing sexist in it. That a collection of, ostensibly, the brightest people in our culture considered it a piece of violent hate speech is actually disturbing.
    Yeah. I gotta stop reading the news. Some snowflakes are even trying to band together to boycott the next company that hires him. It's pathetic.

To top it off, the memo was first leaked to Gawker 2.0 aka Gizmodo where they stripped it of all links and citations.

Just sad to see that this shit is still going on. Every time I feel like we are fighting back against this nonsense, something like this happens to take the wind out of the sails.

E: but another thing is, apparently some people silently supported his memo. Didn't Google just prove the point he made in the fucking title?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (08-09-2017)

Thanks
    I just got around to reading the memo. There was nothing sexist in it. That a collection of, ostensibly, the brightest people in our culture considered it a piece of violent hate speech is actually disturbing.
    Way too much attention to an inconsequential matter.

The contents of the memo is probably not even the reason for the firing, but the writing of it and the distribution.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Way too much attention to an inconsequential matter.

The contents of the memo is probably not even the reason for the firing, but the writing of it and the distribution.
    No, it has indeed been confirmed by multiple people that the contents of the memo are the direct reason for the termination. That includes the Google CEO and James Damore himself.
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,867 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Yeah. I gotta stop reading the news. Some snowflakes are even trying to band together to boycott the next company that hires him. It's pathetic.

To top it off, the memo was first leaked to Gawker 2.0 aka Gizmodo where they stripped it of all links and citations.

Just sad to see that this shit is still going on. Every time I feel like we are fighting back against this nonsense, something like this happens to take the wind out of the sails.

E: but another thing is, apparently some people silently supported his memo. Didn't Google just prove the point he made in the fucking title?
    If North Korea is successful in nuking the United States one can only hope that they target Silicon Valley. What an insufferable bunch of pricks that place is.

Thanks
    https://medium.com/@Cernovich/full-j...es-339f3d2d05f

This honestly makes me sick when a well researched, common sense internal memo can get someone fired for going against the ideological narrative at Google, then have him called a sexist misogynist, then claim that the only people defending him are the "alt right"

My god we are in some kind of McCarthiest era right now, and the alt right are the new boogymen. What a joke.
    CNN characterized the memo as “essentially saying well I really don’t like women anywhere near a computer”. So not only are people celebrating this move, you've got media outlets mischaracterizing what was actually said. This country is fucked.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,288 Times in 7,366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    CNN characterized the memo as “essentially saying well I really don’t like women anywhere near a computer”. This country is fucked.
    I recommend reading the memo (if you haven't). I was honestly shocked at the outrage over it. It seems like language and truth are things that don't matter anymore. Feelings matter over everything.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    I recommend reading the memo (if you haven't). I was honestly shocked at the outrage over it. It seems like language and truth are things that don't matter anymore. Feelings matter over everything.
    Which is a characteristic of a gynocentric society.

Thanks
    I read about half of it and skimmed over the rest. It was pretty good. The guy was clearly engaging in honest discussion. The version I read took all the footnotes and sources out so I didn't even realize they were in there until I came to the BJMB which combats the fake news media daily and told me the truth. Without the footnotes the memo looks as some sort of opinion piece when in fact it's actually pretty objective.

Thanks
    Which is a characteristic of a gynocentric society.
    I laughed when I read that several women didn't show up to work the day after the memo leaked because they were so upset. lmao

Thanks
    I read about half of it and skimmed over the rest. It was pretty good. The guy was clearly engaging in honest discussion. The version I read took all the footnotes and sources out so I didn't even realize they were in there until I came to the BJMB which combats the fake news media daily and told me the truth. Without the footnotes the memo looks as some sort of opinion piece when in fact it's actually pretty objective.
    Yeah, when the memo was leaked to Gizmodo, they made it public without all his sourcing and stuff. What more can you expect from the garbage left wing media these days.

I feel so weird saying that because I still consider myself to be left, politically, but I honestly fucking hate this Marxist bullshit.

Thanks
    I laughed when I read that several women didn't show up to work the day after the memo leaked because they were so upset. lmao
    Real innovators, those ones. They were probably fine, just saw an opportunity for an easy day off.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Jordan Peterson has a 1 hour discussion with the Google kid up on his youtube channel.

The guy is the most straightforward, direct, and innocent person imaginable.

Hysteria

Thanks
    Remember similar phony outrage when Mozilla's CEO was fired because 8 years prior to his firing he supported traditional marriage? Never mind that Barack Obama held the same views at the time.

Silicon Valley seriously sucks. I welcome North Korea's nuclear attack. We are ready.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Jordan Peterson has a 1 hour discussion with the Google kid up on his youtube channel.

The guy is the most straightforward, direct, and innocent person imaginable.

Hysteria
    I haven't gone through all the stuff (because I'm frankly fed up with most of the news bs right now from all sides), but even if the article was well thought out and written, etc, what was the point of writing and circulating it? I mean, you're doing so in a sector actively trying to get more woman to enter it. Why inflame things? If someone came out tomorrow with a well written scientific report that suggested whites were superior to blacks, what do you think the effect would be (heck, even if somehow it was actually true, do you think it would in any way make things better for people? Would it invalidate one candidate for a position over another, regardless of expertise, etc?). I just don't understand the logic in writing and circulating something that you know would be perceived very badly, cause issues in the workplace, probably get leaked to the media, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,081 Posts
    6 months paid stress leave, followed by $400,000 law suit for being in an oppressive misogynistic environment. Bank it.