Page 724 of 770 FirstFirst ... 224624674714722723724725726734 ... LastLast
Results 11,569 to 11,584 of 12312

Thread: In The News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I recommend reading the memo (if you haven't). I was honestly shocked at the outrage over it. It seems like language and truth are things that don't matter anymore. Feelings matter over everything.
    I read about half of it and skimmed over the rest. It was pretty good. The guy was clearly engaging in honest discussion. The version I read took all the footnotes and sources out so I didn't even realize they were in there until I came to the BJMB which combats the fake news media daily and told me the truth. Without the footnotes the memo looks as some sort of opinion piece when in fact it's actually pretty objective.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Which is a characteristic of a gynocentric society.
    I laughed when I read that several women didn't show up to work the day after the memo leaked because they were so upset. lmao

Thanks
    Thanked 7,929 Times in 4,946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I read about half of it and skimmed over the rest. It was pretty good. The guy was clearly engaging in honest discussion. The version I read took all the footnotes and sources out so I didn't even realize they were in there until I came to the BJMB which combats the fake news media daily and told me the truth. Without the footnotes the memo looks as some sort of opinion piece when in fact it's actually pretty objective.
    Yeah, when the memo was leaked to Gizmodo, they made it public without all his sourcing and stuff. What more can you expect from the garbage left wing media these days.

I feel so weird saying that because I still consider myself to be left, politically, but I honestly fucking hate this Marxist bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    I laughed when I read that several women didn't show up to work the day after the memo leaked because they were so upset. lmao
    Real innovators, those ones. They were probably fine, just saw an opportunity for an easy day off.
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,623 Times in 4,804 Posts
    Jordan Peterson has a 1 hour discussion with the Google kid up on his youtube channel.

The guy is the most straightforward, direct, and innocent person imaginable.

Hysteria

Thanks
    Remember similar phony outrage when Mozilla's CEO was fired because 8 years prior to his firing he supported traditional marriage? Never mind that Barack Obama held the same views at the time.

Silicon Valley seriously sucks. I welcome North Korea's nuclear attack. We are ready.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Jordan Peterson has a 1 hour discussion with the Google kid up on his youtube channel.

The guy is the most straightforward, direct, and innocent person imaginable.

Hysteria
    I haven't gone through all the stuff (because I'm frankly fed up with most of the news bs right now from all sides), but even if the article was well thought out and written, etc, what was the point of writing and circulating it? I mean, you're doing so in a sector actively trying to get more woman to enter it. Why inflame things? If someone came out tomorrow with a well written scientific report that suggested whites were superior to blacks, what do you think the effect would be (heck, even if somehow it was actually true, do you think it would in any way make things better for people? Would it invalidate one candidate for a position over another, regardless of expertise, etc?). I just don't understand the logic in writing and circulating something that you know would be perceived very badly, cause issues in the workplace, probably get leaked to the media, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,094 Posts
    6 months paid stress leave, followed by $400,000 law suit for being in an oppressive misogynistic environment. Bank it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I haven't gone through all the stuff (because I'm frankly fed up with most of the news bs right now from all sides), but even if the article was well thought out and written, etc, what was the point of writing and circulating it? I mean, you're doing so in a sector actively trying to get more woman to enter it. Why inflame things? If someone came out tomorrow with a well written scientific report that suggested whites were superior to blacks, what do you think the effect would be (heck, even if somehow it was actually true, do you think it would in any way make things better for people? Would it invalidate one candidate for a position over another, regardless of expertise, etc?). I just don't understand the logic in writing and circulating something that you know would be perceived very badly, cause issues in the workplace, probably get leaked to the media, etc.
    Exactly my point. The guy was just asking to be fired.

And even if one could prove these differences, all it means is any random X is 1.2% (or some other negligible amount) more likely than any random Y to be (whatever)

Thanks
    Probably because he felt that the push to get women in the field was discriminatory to better qualified males. I say better qualified, because when you're at a 70/30 split with candidates, you're definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel to hire less deserving women on the basis that they are women. He likely felt like that was bullshit and that Google should just understand that tech jobs don't appeal to women.

Thanks
    Google is competitive as fuck. You address a real problem they are having in an insightful way and you could land yourself a hell of a promotion. So he did what an engineer and good employee should do. He dove in to the data and tried to solve a problem. I'd be ecstatic if someone at my business tried to solve a problem that I was having. Wouldn't you? And it wasn't inflaming nor was it discouraging to women. He identified why Google has a hard time finding women to work there and why they have a hard time promoting women in to leadership positions and how Google could better address that. He also discussed how diversity in thought is just as important.

His only problem is that he works with a bunch of cucks that can't handle anything other than hivemind groupthink. He strayed from the hive and that got him fired. Which only proved one of his points.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (08-10-2017)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Probably because he felt that the push to get women in the field was discriminatory to better qualified males. I say better qualified, because when you're at a 70/30 split with candidates, you're definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel to hire less deserving women on the basis that they are women. He likely felt like that was bullshit and that Google should just understand that tech jobs don't appeal to women.
    He could have published in anonymously in a scientific journal or something, if it actually stands up to scientific criticism. This kind of thing has been going on for a long time. When I applied for scholarships in university, something like 90% of them were either for natives, or for women in science. Getting one as a normal, white male was extremely difficult. Others essentially had their entire university paid for, with far less academic merit or financial need. That doesn't mean I had any thoughts to write a paper on it, circulate it through the university, and piss everyone off. Imo, no one ends up better off by doing something like that.

I'm not making a statement about whether he's right in what he wrote, just questioning why he thought it was a good idea to write it.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,650 Times in 7,558 Posts
    You should read what he wrote. I think you'd retract most of this.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,094 Posts
    This is on par with ranting about Jonathan Swift being a cannibal.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,623 Times in 4,804 Posts
    I too enjoy that we live in a time where thoughtful evidence based discourse is frowned upon because it rocks the ideological boats too much.

Maybe the meta-logic is just that - to highlight how absurd the ideological institutions truly are. Succeeded in that end at least.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Frag (08-10-2017),Spanky99 (08-09-2017),Terminator (08-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,959 Times in 6,111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I too enjoy that we live in a time where thoughtful evidence based discourse is frowned upon because it rocks the ideological boats too much.

Maybe the meta-logic is just that - to highlight how absurd the ideological institutions truly are. Succeeded in that end at least.
    Crushed... love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.