Page 2172 of 2172 FirstFirst ... 11721672207221222162217021712172
Results 34,737 to 34,751 of 34751

Thread: A Very Darrelly Dynasty League

Thanks
    Thanked 7,163 Times in 4,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    I don't buy the slippery slope argument; players rarely die and I think it's fine to decide compensation subjectively on a case by case basis.
    FWIW, I wouldn't characterize the 'no' argument as a slippery slope one. You're right that these are rare situations. I would characterize it as a "spirit of the rule" argument.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

KingKat (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    FWIW, I wouldn't characterize the 'no' argument as a slippery slope one. You're right that these are rare situations. I would characterize it as a "spirit of the rule" argument.
    There is a benefit to achieving clarity on this matter though Dinger's right that it's not a huge benefit in terms of future application. I think there's a certain subset of owners in this group who to some extent value clarity for its own sake and that's legit even it's not something that Dinger can relate to.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 938 Posts
    FWIW njh made a great point that changed my perspective on the situation. I was analyzing Ventura's value and felt 20b is fair value for what he's worth. However, in the past, we haven't handled compensation like that. If you're telling me hurl only got two prospects for Fernandez, and TCA receives 20b for Ventura, that would be bullshit. Relative to what Fernandez/Oscar received, I agree with KK that it's not fair to give anything more than a late pick.

It also opens up a can of worms. How is it that much different if players suffer long term injuries that prevent them from ever playing again or playing at a diminished level? If a player took a line drive off his head and retired due to brain trauma, would we have compensation then? Based on past compensation, I think we should only provide compensation for losing elite franchise crippling assets. The whole point is to make sure teams aren't crippled by these unfortunate tragedies.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearthedoc View Post
    FWIW njh made a great point that changed my perspective on the situation. I was analyzing Ventura's value and felt 20b is fair value for what he's worth. However, in the past, we haven't handled compensation like that. If you're telling me hurl only got two prospects for Fernandez, and TCA receives 20b for Ventura, that would be bullshit. Relative to what Fernandez/Oscar received, I agree with KK that it's not fair to give anything more than a late pick.

It also opens up a can of worms. How is it that much different if players suffer long term injuries that prevent them from every playing again or playing at a diminished level? If a player took a line drive off his head and retired due to brain trauma, would we have compensation then? Based on past compensation, I think we should only provide compensation for losing elite franchise crippling assets. The whole point is to make sure teams aren't crippled by these unfortunate tragedies.
    There's no precedent for giving compensation for baseball-related injuries, only death

Thanks
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 860 Posts
    I don't even agree with the 'trade value' augment in coming up with 20B. I sure as fuck wouldn't have traded Yordano for pick 21, and I know TCA wouldn't have either. Sure thats only a 2 team sample, but I see his trade value as more than 20B.

Not to mention pick 21 has a HELL of a lot less value than either of prospects Hurl got or either of the picks Boxy got (right as the caliber of the player is a hell of a lot less).

If you think 20B is too high for comp, I could be convinced, but I haven't heard anything that convinces me he TCA doesn't deserve anything for losing an intriguing young keeper

7. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r0s For This Useful Post:

The Cats Ass (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 2,883 Posts
    Just for fun and a frame of reference...pick 21 for each year since the inaugural draft:

2013 - Devon Travis
    2014 - Alex Reyes
    2015 - Hector Olivera
    2016 - Delvin Perez

Pick 41:

Domingo Santana
    Vincent Velasquez
    Brian Johnson
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Just for fun and a frame of reference...pick 21 for each year since the inaugural draft:

2013 - Devon Travis
    2014 - Alex Reyes
    2015 - Hector Olivera
    2016 - Delvin Perez

Pick 41:

Domingo Santana
    Vincent Velasquez
    Brian Johnson
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
    Damn what a steal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post

2013 - Devon Travis
    2014 - Alex Reyes
    2015 - Hector Olivera
    2016 - Delvin Perez

Pick 41:

Domingo Santana
    Vincent Velasquez
    Brian Johnson
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
    So it literally doesn't matter!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

KingKat (Yesterday)

Thanks
    not too happy about De Leon to the Rays... but at least he'll be more likely to start this season.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Damn what a steal.
    2 years away from being 2 years away. Yawn!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    not too happy about De Leon to the Rays... but at least he'll be more likely to start this season.
    How could you not be happy? He's pretty much guaranteed a rotation spot now, and will have the likes of Evan Longoria, Matt Duffy and Kevin Kiermaier covering his back. As a co-owner in BORED I'm pretty ecstatic about what this move does towards his fantasy value.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

Thanks
    b/c the AL. More shitty parks all around. DH's. No shitty divisional offenses (except the Rockies)

Thanks
    and a good pitchers park with a good team and boatloads of money, vs a shitty part with a shit team of penny pinching owners.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,500 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    and a good pitchers park with a good team and boatloads of money, vs a shitty part with a shit team of penny pinching owners.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 2,883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    How could you not be happy? He's pretty much guaranteed a rotation spot now, and will have the likes of Evan Longoria, Matt Duffy and Kevin Kiermaier covering his back. As a co-owner in BORED I'm pretty ecstatic about what this move does towards his fantasy value.
    pulled in the 4th or 5th every game...
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.