Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: The travel thread!

Blue Chip Prospect canadiansportsjunkie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like me and wife will be going to palm beach florida in middle of april....

Wasn't really planned got a good deal i think? lol

When I search for things to do not much comes up...only going for 6 days so don't need to be out and about too much...

Does anyone have some input? We enjoy adventure type stuff......maybe 1 or 2 things is enough as we are leaving the kids at home with grandma and plan for at least a few days drunk on the beach

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Me and the wife are coming to Toronto for a week at the end of June. She has a work conference at the Beanfield Centre (formerly called Allstream Centre).

Looking for hotel recommendations, eats and other shit to do in the area.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 902 Posts
    Going to Sydney and Melbourne for a few weeks if anyone has any good food or scenic recommendations
    #FireCasey

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    Going to Sydney and Melbourne for a few weeks if anyone has any good food or scenic recommendations
    These are for Sydney. It's an expensive place, but it's worth it. People I know who've been to both tend to say they are similar, but Sydney has the more famous tourist attractions of the two.

Food:
    restaurants at Darling harbour in the centre, expensive but quality. I had a rare kangaroo steak that was very good. Also great seafood.

Chinatown - one of the biggest outside of Asia.

Sights:
    you can get the ferry to Manly, it goes past the Opera House and you get a great view of the city.

Bondi beach - best for swimming / watersports. There's plenty of smaller ones too.

Blue Mountains - short journey out of the city, lots of wilderness (will remind you of Canada) I saw a wild kookaburra.

Sydney Cricket ground - iconic world famous venue, I saw an Aussie Rules footie game there, had no clue what was happening!

Anz stadium - if you want to catch a rugby game while you're there.

Docks by the opera house - you can book boat tours here including things like whale watching.

Sydney tower - you'll see for miles.

Australian museum - best and biggest museum in Australia. Lots of interesting stuff, including history of Australia.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

jays_fever (05-14-2017)

Thanks
    Currently in Switzerland - such a beautiful country.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

KingKat (05-14-2017),o2cui2i (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    Sydney and Melbourne are great cities. Went back in January 2014 and caught some of the first week of the AO in Melbourne. The Queen Victoria Library in Melbourne is very cool to check out. As well, there are many nice arcades and cafes in Melbourne. Try and check out maybe a cricket, rugby match or Aussie Football match if you could. Melbourne is a great sports city.

Sydney is a bit on the expensive side, but its cheaper than NYC or San Francisco. Plus the CAD is pretty much on par with the AUD, so thats a plus as well. Lots to do in Sydney, and Bobthe4th gave great suggestions. Bondi Beach is really nice, I'm not sure what its like in the winter but I'm assuming it should still be good weather haha. Can even do the Harbour Bridge Climb if you're into that sort of thing. Didn't have time to do it when I was there.

If you want to go shark diving, Port Lincoln is the place in Australia. Have to fly through Adelaide. Not sure if you have time for that, though that was my favourite part of when I went.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jaysblue For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Was in Singapore the last couple of days. It's really beautiful, clean and had a lot of fun! On the expensive side when it comes to Asia, though to stop for 2-3 days there is definitely worth it! In KL right now and then head back up to Thailand later this week.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    Was in Singapore the last couple of days. It's really beautiful, clean and had a lot of fun! On the expensive side when it comes to Asia, though to stop for 2-3 days there is definitely worth it! In KL right now and then head back up to Thailand later this week.
    did you get to the Universal park? the zoo? Marina Bay Sands is amazing. The laser show at 8pm is beautiful too.

did you get a "singapore is a FINE place" tshirt? lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    did you get to the Universal park? the zoo? Marina Bay Sands is amazing. The laser show at 8pm is beautiful too.

did you get a "singapore is a FINE place" tshirt? lol
    Never got one haha. I didn't visit Universal Studios or the zoo there. I've been to Universal in LA like 10 years ago. Gardens by the Bay were awesome and I did go up to the skybar at Marina Bay Sands for a drink at sunset. Had fantastic views of the skyline. I went to a lot of food markets when there, and checked out a craft microbrewery in Changi Village called Little Island Brewery which was really good. They had a sign at the brewery saying if you threw up, you have to pay like a $100 fine lol. Orchard Park was a cool little strip as well, though all expensive stores haha. Must say Changi Airport is pretty awesome. Excellent lounges and they even have gardens inside lol. Wouldn't mind having a long stopover or lengthy delay there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,454 Times in 2,292 Posts
    Anyone got any cool things to do or see in Europe? I'm flying into Amsterdam late summer and I have 14 days to check things I'll out.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    Any public canings while you there? It's not a trip to Singapore without public corporal punishment!
    ****FREE SPANKY****

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Anyone got any cool things to do or see in Europe? I'm flying into Amsterdam late summer and I have 14 days to check things I'll out.
    No, can't think of a single thing in Amsterdam that might be fun. Very conservative place.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 5,899 Times in 3,767 Posts
    Distances are so close in Europe. You can pretty much go anywhere from Amsterdam. Brussells, Hamburg, Cologne, Bruges, Antwerp are all super close. Paris, Berlin and Frankfurt aren't that far. Heck even London via the chunnel is do-able with all the time at your disposal. I'd recommend Bruges for sure and not just because In Bruges is a killer movie.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (06-08-2017),Spanky99 (06-09-2017)

Thanks
    How will you be travelling once you're there? Car / train / plane ? Trains are quite expensive but efficient, go all through Europe, and will let you see lots of spectacular scenery (mountains etc). Internal low cost airline flights are dirt cheap and in a few hours you can be virtually anywhere in Europe.

Depending on your interests there's lots of medieval castles, ancient Roman ruins, and beautiful mountains and valleys spread throughout continental Europe.

Specifically in the area around Amsterdam that would be easy to visit no matter what transport you have:

Delft (Holland): visit the factory where they make delft pottery.

Bruges (Belgium): medieval centre, beautiful city, Belgian chocolate, coffee and beer.

Cologne (Germany): good museums, good example of gothic German church's, some ancient roman remains too.

If you want to travel a bit further the key cities to visit are:

London - so much to see, lots of world famous sites both historical and modern, would recommend taking a Thames clipper (a boat on the river) which gives you a view of a lot of them. Most museums are free including the best of them all - the British Museum. Because the English used to rule a third of the world we've plundered a lot of the best artefacts!

Paris - exquisite food, the Louvre is the best art museum in the world (has the Mona Lisa and Venus do Milo too), a good base to explore the French countryside.

Berlin - fascinating for history of the Nazis and the Cold War (you can see bits of the Berlin Wall), but also has great German food, and museum island - a collection of 4 world class museums on an island in the centre of the city.

If you want to go anywhere in Europe and don't mind travelling a lot further:

Rome - the greatest city in the world IMO, every street has an ancient attraction on it. Little churches that aren't even on tourist maps all have at least one masterpiece in them.

Barcelona - Gaudi's cathedral and park are unique, a beautiful city. Tapas and paella.

Vienna - home of the Hapsburgs who ruled Europe, lots to see and do, great food.

No matter where you go I strongly recommend going to a football (soccer) game for the atmosphere - especially if you get to England. It is very very different to a North American sporting event, closest is an ice hockey crowd but with more singing.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (06-24-2017),KingKat (06-09-2017),Spanky99 (06-09-2017)

Thanks
    Air Canada has a really good seat sale on right now for Fathers Day (expires the 15th).

Could fly to Shanghai RT for $682 CAD depending on the dates. That's a steal!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,454 Times in 2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    How will you be travelling once you're there? Car / train / plane ? Trains are quite expensive but efficient, go all through Europe, and will let you see lots of spectacular scenery (mountains etc). Internal low cost airline flights are dirt cheap and in a few hours you can be virtually anywhere in Europe.

Depending on your interests there's lots of medieval castles, ancient Roman ruins, and beautiful mountains and valleys spread throughout continental Europe.

Specifically in the area around Amsterdam that would be easy to visit no matter what transport you have:

Delft (Holland): visit the factory where they make delft pottery.

Bruges (Belgium): medieval centre, beautiful city, Belgian chocolate, coffee and beer.

Cologne (Germany): good museums, good example of gothic German church's, some ancient roman remains too.

If you want to travel a bit further the key cities to visit are:

London - so much to see, lots of world famous sites both historical and modern, would recommend taking a Thames clipper (a boat on the river) which gives you a view of a lot of them. Most museums are free including the best of them all - the British Museum. Because the English used to rule a third of the world we've plundered a lot of the best artefacts!

Paris - exquisite food, the Louvre is the best art museum in the world (has the Mona Lisa and Venus do Milo too), a good base to explore the French countryside.

Berlin - fascinating for history of the Nazis and the Cold War (you can see bits of the Berlin Wall), but also has great German food, and museum island - a collection of 4 world class museums on an island in the centre of the city.

If you want to go anywhere in Europe and don't mind travelling a lot further:

Rome - the greatest city in the world IMO, every street has an ancient attraction on it. Little churches that aren't even on tourist maps all have at least one masterpiece in them.

Barcelona - Gaudi's cathedral and park are unique, a beautiful city. Tapas and paella.

Vienna - home of the Hapsburgs who ruled Europe, lots to see and do, great food.

No matter where you go I strongly recommend going to a football (soccer) game for the atmosphere - especially if you get to England. It is very very different to a North American sporting event, closest is an ice hockey crowd but with more singing.
    Awesome post. Thanks. I'll be taking the train!

I decided on Amsterdam --> Maastricht --> Brussels ---> Belgian coast (Blankerbridge) -->Amsterdam.