• SD
    COL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SEA
    TEX
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 2335 of 2669 FirstFirst ... 1335183522352285232523332334233523362337234523852435 ... LastLast
Results 37,345 to 37,360 of 42691

Thread: League of #Despair

Thanks
    Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Sorry for a bit of a delay here, I really went back and forth on this one. With the 15th pick, I'll take C Zack Collins

1. Zack Collins, c |
    image: http://www.baseballamerica.com/wp-co...o_icon_red.png
    bba_video_icon_red

Born: Feb. 6, 1995. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 220. Drafted: Miami, 2016 (1st round). Signed by: Jose Ortega.

SCOUTING GRADES
    Batting: 60.
    Power: 60.
    Speed: 30.
    Defense: 45.
    Arm: 50.
    Based on 20-80 scouting scale—where 50 represents major league average—and future projection rather than present tools.

Background: Collins was well-known as an amateur. A prolific high school hitter, he played for USA Baseball throughout his prep days and had significant draft interest as a high school senior. He slid to the late rounds of the draft, however, due to his Miami commitment and doubts about his ability to remain behind the plate. When Collins made it to campus, he had an immediate impact offensively. He was the 2014 college Freshman of the Year after batting .298 and swatting 11 home runs in a down year for offense in college baseball. His hot hitting never cooled off. In his draft year, Collins batted .363/.544/.668 and drew 78 walks, the most of any Division I player since Anthony Rendon walked 80 times in 2011. Collins focused on improving as a receiver as his junior year approached, encouraging the White Sox enough to make him the 10th overall pick in 2016. Collins had a solid pro debut at high Class A Winston-Salem, putting himself on the fast track to Chicago.

Scouting Report: While Collins’ calling card will always be his offense, his defensive progress was exceptional in his junior year, and he particularly encouraged evaluators with his soft hands. He shows the ability to set a low target and keep his glove hand still, and he’s shown the aptitude to understand umpires’ strike zones and adjust his framing technique in response. Collins has shown the ability to get underneath the ball down and far to his glove side as well as the ability to get his thumb under the ball when he has to extend his glove across his body for pitches towards the righthanded batter’s box. His footwork is what holds him back from being an average defender. Collins has a thick, muscle-filled lower half and isn’t nimble. His extra-large frame allows him to stay in front of the ball well, even if he can’t make acrobatic scoops when pitchers miss their spots. Collins has an average arm with solid accuracy. Regardless of what kind of defensive player he ends up being, Collins’ offense will play. He has a rare combination of strength and bat speed, giving him plus power. In his pro debut, he showed the ability to drive the ball out to left-center field or turn on mistake pitches on the inner half, though he will occasionally collapse on his back side early and roll over high fastballs. Collins has a patient approach at the plate, with elite strike-zone awareness and an uncanny idea of which pitches he can do damage with. He has a rhythmic swing, with a bat tip forward as he loads his hands. Collins’ wrist movement gives his bat path extra length, but he’s on time more often than not.

The Future: As with any first-year professional, Collins has yet to be consistently challenged by pitchers who boast both command and stuff, so his performance in 2017 will be telling of his ultimate offensive ceiling. He will look to continue refining his defense as he progresses to the upper minors. He likely will advance to Double-A Birmingham in 2017, and could be on the fast track to the majors as the team’s needed answer at catcher.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...eCo6mTVh2ty.99

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (01-06-2017),Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    I have to think Maitan would have gone 1-1 if he were available.
    He would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dinger (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Nice! He was one of 3 guys I liked at 11. Mitch Keller was #2 on my board after Senzel so I was quite happy to get him at 11.
    I had that trio of arms acquired prior to 2016 all ranked very high on my list (Keller, Romero, Szapucki).

Collins bat seems pretty easy to bank on, and if he stays behind the dish he could have mega value, very happy with the pick. Almost went with a riskier take because I have a feeling King will grab him before my next pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,604 Times in 4,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    He would have.
    Yeah, it sucks that Fernandez died. It sucks for the owner a lot, but it also sucks for the teams that were in line to get Maitan and Otani.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,735 Times in 3,269 Posts
    So hard to believe all these stat scouters have put a 16 year old so high. Five years is a long time to wait in Fantasy...I suppose for trade value alone you have to take him high but even as a DDL owner I'd have trouble seeing him as part of my future as I can't look that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    So hard to believe all these stat scouters have put a 16 year old so high. Five years is a long time to wait in Fantasy...I suppose for trade value alone you have to take him high but even as a DDL owner I'd have trouble seeing him as part of my future as I can't look that far.
    You can trade him to me. I traded my way up to 1 to snag him in BORED.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    That's the really tough part of making these lists (and I guess of scouting baseball), weighing the longer term upside of a 16/17 year old against someone much older and closer to helping. I've spent way too much time debating my ranking, and then threw it out the window and went with an older guy on my first pick.

Thanks
    That's the really tough part of making these lists (and I guess of scouting baseball), weighing the longer term upside of a 16/17 year old against someone much older and closer to helping. I've spent way too much time debating my ranking, and then threw it out the window and went with an older guy on my first pick.
    I never, ever go for teenagers, especially from Latin America. But when scouts call a prospect generational, and throw Miggy and Chipper comps on him, I want in on the ground floor. The hype hasn't even begun IMO.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

GeorgiaPeach (01-06-2017),Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,735 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    You can trade him to me. I traded my way up to 1 to snag him in BORED.
    I'll wait for the hype to grow first. Then I will trade him for Wade Davis, Ryan Zimmerman and a draft pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Are we supposed to email the next GM or does that only start when the draft officially begins tomorrow?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,731 Posts
    Are we supposed to email the next GM or does that only start when the draft officially begins tomorrow?
    Emails are a mere courtesy so you have no more or no less obligation to send one.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Yes, you are. You can just send a PM to their BJMB account as well.
    There's no consequences for not doing it, but generally either try to do that, or post in the forums asking someone else to do it.

It just speeds everything up, as not everyone is on the forums all day - and many hours can go by when people (mostly jaysblue) don't realize they are up.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,161 Posts
    I don't think Havok has been around much as of late. I'm sure he would appreciate an e-mail so if he hasn't done any prep he can start before his window opens tomorrow.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    10/4 will send one right now

Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 6,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    OK, I'll take Thomas Szapucki
    Yes he was on my list and would have been in consideration for my next pick if still available

Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 6,016 Posts
    So where does DJ get popped?