NYM
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Science & Technology Thread

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    Google had trouble with Google Glass. Not sure how Microsoft will sell this.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,780 Times in 3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag View Post
    Google had trouble with Google Glass. Not sure how Microsoft will sell this.
    These glasses make you look like a dork. Google couldn't overcome that and Microsoft has even less street cred. Notice that all the focus in the video is on the holograms themselves and you don't get a good look at what the glasses look like.
    Last edited by KingKat; 02-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Thanks
    Thanked 7,446 Times in 4,634 Posts
    Cool as shit:

Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

CHRIS (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    These glasses make you look like a dork. Google couldn't overcome that and Microsoft has even less street cred. Notice that all the focus in the video is on the holograms themselves and you don't get a good look at what the glasses look like.
    The only advantage I see, at least so far, is that Microsoft seems to be advertising it as something you use exclusively at home or at work, while Google Glass tried to market it as something you can wear casually with friends. However, even then, it's hard to market these glasses unless they make them in a way that doesn't cause one to look like a twat wearing it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Cool as shit:

I can't wait to pay over $100,000 for that.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,619 Posts
    The only advantage I see, at least so far, is that Microsoft seems to be advertising it as something you use exclusively at home or at work, while Google Glass tried to market it as something you can wear casually with friends. However, even then, it's hard to market these glasses unless they make them in a way that doesn't cause one to look like a twat wearing it.
    I'm not sure employers would care too much what it looked like at work, if it improved efficiency, etc. At home, I'm not sure it really matters, unless you're hosting a party or something. The biggest issue for looks imo is when you're out in public.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I'm not sure employers would care too much what it looked like at work, if it improved efficiency, etc. At home, I'm not sure it really matters, unless you're hosting a party or something. The biggest issue for looks imo is when you're out in public.
    Which is what I mean by how Microsoft will market this. No way you can look at those glasses and say, "Your friends at the party will think you're the coolest kid in town with our new augmented reality glasses!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Cool as shit:

Anyone remember a toy line/cartoon called MASK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.S.K.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Thanks
    Which is what I mean by how Microsoft will market this. No way you can look at those glasses and say, "Your friends at the party will think you're the coolest kid in town with our new augmented reality glasses!"
    I can't imagine they would take that angle. More like an enhanced notion of putting on 3D glasses to watch a movie; using a conference phone for a work meeting; etc. The prototyping part of it looks interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    I can't imagine they would take that angle. More like an enhanced notion of putting on 3D glasses to watch a movie; using a conference phone for a work meeting; etc. The prototyping part of it looks interesting.
    If they can get this to sell, I'd definitely be interested.

Thanks
    Outside of the issue of vaccinations (and, maybe, studying evolution in schools), this is pretty concerning for Americans:

Even though opinion polls are not always the best indicator of public opinion, the difference between scientific views and public views on certain issues is rather stark.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frag For This Useful Post:

intentional wok (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Plastic is just awful and yet it seems live very little is being done to reduce our dependance on it.

MVP
    Thanks
    For anyone interested, SpaceX is launching in a few minutes (streamed on the internet). They'll be trying to return the booster safely too (apparently about 10 minutes after launch)

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

MVP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    For anyone interested, SpaceX is launching in a few minutes (streamed on the internet). They'll be trying to return the booster safely too (apparently about 10 minutes after launch)

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/
    Never mind, it was just scrubbed due to weather. They're going to try again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Outside of the issue of vaccinations (and, maybe, studying evolution in schools), this is pretty concerning for Americans:

Even though opinion polls are not always the best indicator of public opinion, the difference between scientific views and public views on certain issues is rather stark.
    You know what kind of sucks about this graphic? The first question: Should all children be required to be vaccinated?

Only about 80% of scientists agree, and anti-vaxxers will see and use this as there being some kind of split on the legitimacy of vaccination. Except that the question is more about personal liberties than about the medical applicability of the vaccines themselves. Lots of people, scientists included, have different opinions on what SHOULD be governed, but few scientists are skeptical about the actual validity of the vaccines.