• KC
    CWS
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Science & Technology Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    There's a major new computer exploit (Meltdown) which will likely be exploited in the wild in the next few days when full announcements are made. Make sure you immediately update your OS, web browser if it hasn't automatically, and any antivirus programs. Click on check for updates (or the equivalent) if you don't see a patch listed and haven't updated it yet.
    Another security issue?

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemoon View Post
    Another security issue?
    Technically yes, but it was really more of a very clever researcher than a bug. It sounds like no one is at fault for the issue, but it still needs to be addressed immediately.

Thanks
    Alright thanks I'll update my stuff

Thanks
    Didn't want to create a new thread for this so I'll ask here. I've been thinking about getting Lasik surgery and was wondering if anyone here has had it done as what their thoughts on it were? How long did it take? Was it painful? Just overall thoughts. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    Didn't want to create a new thread for this so I'll ask here. I've been thinking about getting Lasik surgery and was wondering if anyone here has had it done as what their thoughts on it were? How long did it take? Was it painful? Just overall thoughts. Thanks.
    They shoot a laser into your eye and burn off the outer layer of the eyeball. Sounds fun.

Seriously though, I haven't had it done. The only feedback I heard was that it's a little uncomfortable and itchy for a while.

MVP
    Thanks
    I haven't got it done, but I'd love to know your feedback on it if you do. Maybe look at some youtube videos. I'd assume there's probably a bunch with people describing what it was like.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,394 Posts
    I haven't got it done, but I'd love to know your feedback on it if you do. Maybe look at some youtube videos. I'd assume there's probably a bunch with people describing what it was like.
    I know 3 poeple that have had it done, my cousin, my wife's cousin and my wife. All 3 say they wish they had done it sooner.

All 3 had the PRK procedure which is not the same as the easiest LASIK. When you get evaluated for LASIK they decide which procedure you end up getting based on your prescription, whether you have astigmatism... dry eyes, etc. My wife's recovery was very smooth and pain free, but you pretty much can't do anything for about 3 days with no TV, reading, using smart phone or tablets for about a week after the procedure. She had hers done 1 year ago.

My wife's cousin procedure on the other hand... he said for the first few days it felt like he had sandpaper and shards of glass in his eyes. It did go away after 2 days and his vision is fine and has had no complications in the years since he had it done, and said it was worth it. He had it done 10 years ago.

The procedure itself is painless because they give you numbing eye drops and have a little doohickey that keeps your eyelids open, you stare at the LASER for like 10-15 minutes and you're done. Then they give you a prescription for pain meds, really expensive eye drops for lubrication and tell you to come back in 24 hours, 36 hours, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months and 1 year follow ups.

Any other questions just ask and I can pretty much answer them.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Abomination (01-12-2018),P2F (01-11-2018)

Thanks
    Science is evolving greatly!

There is an impressive evolution when it comes to paralysis. Brain implements are making huge progress to revert the spinal cord injuries. They managed to make a monkey walk again.

Read more at: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ing-paralysis/
    - Biology is the only science in which multiplication is the same thing as division.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,674 Times in 5,358 Posts
    I had it done almost a decade ago. I got the PRK. The first day really sucks but it heals pretty quick. You're gonna go through a lot of visine on top of your prescription eye drops that you'll have to take for a few weeks.

The change is immediate. My eyes were pretty sore (they actually cut a flap on your eye and peel it back before they shoot you in the face with a laser) so I took a nap when I got home and when I woke up, I could see perfectly. I have rather deep eye sockets so they really had to push the eye cutting/thing that keeps your eyes open and that left me with very red eyes for about a month. I mean, big blotches of blood in the whites of my eyeballs. If you don't like freaking people out, this may bother you. I enjoyed it.

As for side effects (can't speak as though this is universal) my night vision/vision in any kind of darkness is garbage. Driving at night is really unpleasant for me because I can barely see shit. Also, my eyes get pretty dry if it's too windy. I basically can't point the car fans at my face because it's way too irritating.

That's about it. I dunno how much it's changed since I got it done.

E: It appears I'm a bit late but this is on LASIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,674 Times in 5,358 Posts

Omg that is so cool. I want one.
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

MVP
    Thanks
    Today's SpaceX launch is currently set for 3:05 est.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

devo (02-06-2018),Spanky99 (02-06-2018)

MVP
    Thanks
    Today's SpaceX launch is currently set for 3:05 est.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast
    It's now scheduled for 3:45 est.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    It's now scheduled for 3:45 est.
    The landing of the boosters was amazing!

MVP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameispepe View Post
    The landing of the boosters was amazing!
    Yeah, it was! Don't know about the main booster on the drone ship yet, but it appears the rest of the launch was basically flawless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,110 Posts
    I had it done about 10 years ago (like Boxy). It's a life changing experience man.

MVP
    Thanks
    Some details about SpaceX's new Big Fucking (er Falcon) Rocket, which is the one they're planning for future Mars missions:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/spacex-bfr-1.4526336

Really interesting, especially the turnaround time, refueling capabilities, and terrestrial applications.