LAD
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Science & Technology Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 652 Posts

Science & Technology Thread

Judging by the News Thread it looks like there's demand for discussion on scientific and technological topics so I figured in making a new thread to preserve it. Hopefully this can turn into a place where people can discuss and share ideas while leaving the egos at the door, and I'll start with mine. I consider science to be a hobby of mine and I picked up a lot over the years but haven't had any formal training since high school and I'm no authority on any subject.

My topics of interest are astronomy, cosmology and particle physics and that's what I'll be focusing on though any scientific topic including behavioural sciences should be discussed. I'll be posting lectures because that's how I feel I absorb the most information compared to reading materials. I'm not a huge fan of documentaries since I find the information somewhat lacking in a lot of them.

I figured this lecture from Dr Michelle Thaller in 2011 about Dark Matter and Dark Energy would be a good one to start with. It's a few years old but covers the basics. About half way through it she shares a theory of dark matter being like an intrinsic gravitational "landscape" that formed the super clusters of galaxies. I never heard of this idea until then and it blew my mind to think of gravity almost like you would riverbeds directing rivers across a continent.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

Frag (01-27-2015),JuniorFelix (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 969 Posts
    This is a thread that Grant would have created...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    This is a thread that Grant would have created...
    Too bad he's busy building his praying mantis army.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,431 Posts
    rip In The News
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    As for how I absorb information best, since the OP mentions lectures, I'm a visual learner. Some lecturers are very good at presenting their information in a way I can grasp, while others aren't. However, that doesn't mean they are bad overall at what they're doing. Their way of explaining complex concepts could be grasped by other means besides the visual medium. Also, I actually enjoy documentaries for the reasons I stated. That is, if the documentary isn't missing any key information.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,431 Posts
    I find most people are visual learners.
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    I think most people are a combination of different learning styles. Some have a preference towards being visual learners, others lean towards auditory or kinesthetic learning (eg. athletes for the latter).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,212 Times in 4,493 Posts
    The education system is not very kind towards kinesthetic learners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

GD (01-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,631 Times in 3,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    Judging by the News Thread it looks like there's demand for discussion on scientific and technological topics so I figured in making a new thread to preserve it. Hopefully this can turn into a place where people can discuss and share ideas while leaving the egos at the door, and I'll start with mine. I consider science to be a hobby of mine and I picked up a lot over the years but haven't had any formal training since high school and I'm no authority on any subject.

My topics of interest are astronomy, cosmology and particle physics and that's what I'll be focusing on though any scientific topic including behavioural sciences should be discussed. I'll be posting lectures because that's how I feel I absorb the most information compared to reading materials. I'm not a huge fan of documentaries since I find the information somewhat lacking in a lot of them.

I figured this lecture from Dr Michelle Thaller in 2011 about Dark Matter and Dark Energy would be a good one to start with. It's a few years old but covers the basics. About half way through it she shares a theory of dark matter being like an intrinsic gravitational "landscape" that formed the super clusters of galaxies. I never heard of this idea until then and it blew my mind to think of gravity almost like you would riverbeds directing rivers across a continent.

By astrophycisit standards she's quite charismatic but she has a sing-songy lift at the beginning of many of her sentences that gets annoying over time.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag View Post
    As for how I absorb information best, since the OP mentions lectures, I'm a visual learner. Some lecturers are very good at presenting their information in a way I can grasp, while others aren't. However, that doesn't mean they are bad overall at what they're doing. Their way of explaining complex concepts could be grasped by other means besides the visual medium. Also, I actually enjoy documentaries for the reasons I stated. That is, if the documentary isn't missing any key information.
    I'm with you. One of the hardest things about college for me were the lecturers at Temple that just talked. After I transferred to LaSalle it was so much easier for me because it was a very visual school. I stopped reading the books and just going to the classes solely because of the Powerpoints (which I have to admit, were quite good).

Thanks
    Insane mode on the $120,000 Tesla Model S P85D.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,943 Times in 4,447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    All people are visual and kinesthetic learners (unless you're blind, or handless because you're a Saudi that stole a Twix when you were 6 years old).

Eyes and hands are two of the three (or four) most significant human evolutions.

The demarkation occurs between the auditory/linguistic/logical/social/solitary learning styles.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Frag (01-30-2015),LunchBox (01-30-2015)

Thanks

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post

Last night I installed NASA's "Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers" (which has a really unfortunate acronym) on my linux drive, so I could play around with the various spacecraft images myself.

I think I need to get out more.

Thanks
    How Effective is the Eye Black that Athletes Wear?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52181...-athletes-wear

Thanks
    Snow Blower Powered by a Chevy V8 Car Engine:

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/snowblowvch1