• STL
    NYM
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Science & Technology Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 960 Posts
    Does anyone know how the new law regarding phone companys unlocking phones work?

Girlfriend gave me her old phone, does her provider unlock it or should my providerer do it? Will I need her account number if i go to her provider?
    #FireCasey

Thanks
    Thanked 8,668 Times in 5,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    Does anyone know how the new law regarding phone companys unlocking phones work?

Girlfriend gave me her old phone, does her provider unlock it or should my providerer do it? Will I need her account number if i go to her provider?
    Idk if all providers work this way, but via my Freedom account I can request the unlock code for my phone just by entering the phone's IMEI, which can be found in the battery compartment or by texting a given number from that specific phone.

E: so in this scenario the unlock code would be generated by the first provider. I don't see why other companies would be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Idk if all providers work this way, but via my Freedom account I can request the unlock code for my phone just by entering the phone's IMEI, which can be found in the battery compartment or by texting a given number from that specific phone.
    iOS lists the IMEI on the about page of the settings. Not sure about Android or other OS.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,668 Times in 5,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    iOS lists the IMEI on the about page of the settings. Not sure about Android or other OS.
    Oh, yeah, I found it in my settings too. Weird that Freedom tells you to take your phone apart instead of just looking in the settings.

For Android, it's Settings -> about phone -> status
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 960 Posts

E: so in this scenario the unlock code would be generated by the first provider. I don't see why other companies would be different.
    Problem was phone was locked into Bell and I was never with them( phone belonged to girlfriends mother), and if you've ever been with a major provider before, you know all their employees are useless bafoons reading off a script, with zero incentive to actually help fix your problem. Signing up for their service is easy peasy, but trying to get customer service with them otherwise is like breaking into fort knox. I really wish I had just gone straight to a random store and forked over whatever they waned to do it for me
    #FireCasey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,677 Posts
    This is an incredibly informative and riveting documentary about the current sharing economy.

MVP
    Thanks

MVP
    Thanks
    Please, please, please let this be the end of those really annoying ads on Fangraphs that make it nearly impossible to use their site!

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/15/tech...ing/index.html

MVP
    Thanks
    RIP Hawking

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (03-14-2018)

Thanks
    RIP Hawking

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frag For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (03-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,601 Times in 6,611 Posts
    Sad... RIP!

MVP
    Thanks
    So Hawking was born on the 300th birthday of Newton, and died on Pi day ...

MVP
    Thanks
    This is interesting:

https://1.1.1.1/

Apparently it isn't an April Fool's joke either.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,550 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Hi friendos,

Need some mobile phone device advice. I currently have a Blackberry PRIV, i have had the phone for about 2 years and i love it. The only issue is the god damn phone won't charge sometimes, and when it does it takes forever. I read to just buy a wireless charger as this problem was likely the charging port and charger were not properly connecting. I bought one as the interwebz said the blackberry PRIV has wireless charging capability but after i bought it i found out they cheaped out in Canada, and if you bought a PRIV in Canada it doesn't.

Anyways...options are
    1. Take it to get fixed. I probably won't do that, because who fixes technology when it goes out of date so fast.
    2. Buy a new phone and shop around for a good phone plan. I'm currently with rogers and after tax i play like 120 for 2 GB of data and unlimited talk. Probably better deals out there.
    3. Upgrade my phone. I would be locked into another 2 year contract and i would have to upgrade my plan.
    4. Switch companies.

Anyone know of any good phones or plans or have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Hi friendos,

Need some mobile phone device advice. I currently have a Blackberry PRIV, i have had the phone for about 2 years and i love it. The only issue is the god damn phone won't charge sometimes, and when it does it takes forever. I read to just buy a wireless charger as this problem was likely the charging port and charger were not properly connecting. I bought one as the interwebz said the blackberry PRIV has wireless charging capability but after i bought it i found out they cheaped out in Canada, and if you bought a PRIV in Canada it doesn't.

Anyways...options are
    1. Take it to get fixed. I probably won't do that, because who fixes technology when it goes out of date so fast.
    2. Buy a new phone and shop around for a good phone plan. I'm currently with rogers and after tax i play like 120 for 2 GB of data and unlimited talk. Probably better deals out there.
    3. Upgrade my phone. I would be locked into another 2 year contract and i would have to upgrade my plan.
    4. Switch companies.

Anyone know of any good phones or plans or have any suggestions?
    I'm with Rogers and pay like $90 after tax for 10 GB of data and unlimited everything else. You are on a terrible plan.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,550 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I'm with Rogers and pay like $90 after tax for 10 GB of data and unlimited everything else. You are on a terrible plan.
    Lmao how did you manage that?