SF
    Preview
    9:10 PM ET
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,673 Times in 5,891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    The first four sets weren't anything special to be honest. The 5th set was amazing, great points, long rally's and Fed's comeback to break Nadal two times. Otherwise, it was a meh match. It wasn't the best final ever.

Still just being able to watch those two play in the Finals after so long, that was just something special and enjoyable to watch. The nostalgia was what did it for me, regardless of the match play.
    That's what really did it for me... figures I fell asleep right before the 5th set... I'm catching it on replay right now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

jaysblue (01-29-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    The first four sets weren't anything special to be honest. The 5th set was amazing, great points, long rally's and Fed's comeback to break Nadal two times. Otherwise, it was a meh match. It wasn't the best final ever.

Still just being able to watch those two play in the Finals after so long, that was just something special and enjoyable to watch. The nostalgia was what did it for me, regardless of the match play.
    The importance of the match, the fact it went to 5 sets, the perfect storyline, and the fifth set itself are all part of the package.

You kept thinking it could be 7-10 years ago, and then you'd see a close up of Nadal and realise he's starting to lose his hair.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    The importance of the match, the fact it went to 5 sets, the perfect storyline, and the fifth set itself are all part of the package.

You kept thinking it could be 7-10 years ago, and then you'd see a close up of Nadal and realise he's starting to lose his hair.
    Yeah I acknowledged that the match between Nadal & Federer was bigger than itself for those very reasons. The nostalgia definitely did it for me and I never was that excited leading up to a Grand Slam finals as this one. Probably was one of the most enjoyable matches I've ever watched in tennis. Was it the best played matched I've ever watched? Far from it.

Thanks
    I'd never heard of Shapovalov before this weekend's Davis Cup between Britain and Canada. Looks like a promising teenager.

But what a shocking end to the tie - he hit a ball in anger, and it hit the umpire, forcing a forfeit. Hopefully he learns a valuable lesson.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,745 Times in 3,273 Posts
    The most un-Canadian way to lose?

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/ca...ium=socialflow
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,745 Times in 3,273 Posts
    I'd never heard of Shapovalov before this weekend's Davis Cup between Britain and Canada. Looks like a promising teenager.

But what a shocking end to the tie - he hit a ball in anger, and it hit the umpire, forcing a forfeit. Hopefully he learns a valuable lesson.
    I went to a seminar last week about Long Term Athlete development and they used England and Canada as a bad example for LTAD. In the past 40 years, England has had more money flow through it's Tennis development system (They get $150M every year from Wimbledon) than every country but Russia and the U.S. and they have produced like 2 top 10 players. One of which was Tim Henman which came from family money. Yet, much like Canada, they have produced many Boys and Girls champs. Turns out their junior system has 200 competition days a year. Their kids are being burned out. but no matter what they won't change. Canada it's not known why they do so well in the juniors but haven't really had much success on the tour...I know they changed their periodization scheduling about 7 years ago so hopefully this helps the development from Junior to pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,731 Posts

Shapovalov won the Wimbledon Juniors. He also made headlines last year when in his pro debut he defeated Kyrgios at the Rogers Cup. Very promising kid and probably not a bad guy. He clearly didn't mean anything malicious. Should teach him a valuable lesson about managing his emotions.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I went to a seminar last week about Long Term Athlete development and they used England and Canada as a bad example for LTAD. In the past 40 years, England has had more money flow through it's Tennis development system (They get $150M every year from Wimbledon) than every country but Russia and the U.S. and they have produced like 2 top 10 players. One of which was Tim Henman which came from family money. Yet, much like Canada, they have produced many Boys and Girls champs. Turns out their junior system has 200 competition days a year. Their kids are being burned out. but no matter what they won't change. Canada it's not known why they do so well in the juniors but haven't really had much success on the tour...I know they changed their periodization scheduling about 7 years ago so hopefully this helps the development from Junior to pro.
    Of the three most recent top ten British players Rusedski was Canadian, and Murray was taught at the same Barcelona academy as Nadal. The LTA have been recognised as incompetent for years.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Heh, Genie Bouchard had her own mishaps yesterday:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hotcorner/genie-bouchard-falcons-date-1.3968817

Thanks
    Indian Wells - Murray gets easy draw but loses early (struggling with expectation of being world number 1?), Djokovic loses again, Federer outplays Nadal, Wawrinka and Nishikori both look solid, and Kyrgios is putting it all together for once.

The French is going to be fascinating, and wide open. More than any other major this year IMO.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

KingKat (03-31-2017)

Thanks
    Pretty epic 3 setter going on between Kyrgios and Federer in the semi-final of the Miami Open on TSN2. They're going to their third consecutive tie break to decide the match. Winner faces Nadal.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (03-31-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Pretty epic 3 setter going on between Kyrgios and Federer in the semi-final of the Miami Open on TSN2. They're going to their third consecutive tie break to decide the match. Winner faces Nadal.
    Did you see Kyrgios last match? Wow... he's such a douchebag.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Did you see Kyrgios last match? Wow... he's such a douchebag.
    I'm really glad Roger pulled it out. It's a bit painful to see Kyrgios do well. Probably my least favourite athlete at the moment.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (03-31-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I'm really glad Roger pulled it out. It's a bit painful to see Kyrgios do well. Probably my least favourite athlete at the moment.
    Same. I thought he'd grow out of it, apparently not.

Thanks
    Watching Federer vs Nadal in the Miami final, quality of tennis so far is top class.

2 best players in the world right now, did not think I'd be saying that before the season started!

Nadal is favourite for the French now IMO he looks really good (so does Roger but on clay Rafa could be unbeatable like he was a few years ago).

Thanks
    Roger has got into Rafa's head. After losing the first set Rafa started trying to hit ridiculous forehand winners.

Roger was just too good today.