• LAD
    SF
    Preview
    9:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis thread

Thanks
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,731 Posts
    Djokovic took the 3rd set 6-1. Murray is up two sets to none in his match.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

Thanks
    Murray defeats Ferrer in 4 setting up the semi-final matchup with Djokovic with is likely the "real final". Murray should have been seeded number two. He's a better clay court player than Federer but I guess this worked out well for the home crowd since it sets up a somewhat winnable matchup for Tsonga against Wawrinka. If Tsonga prevails, Nadal will tumble out of the top 10.

Thanks
    From what I had a chance to watch Murray looked great today and has completely changed his clay court game.

Murray is +329 in the semis, that's a really tempting underdog bet from what I've seen. As is Tsonga at +186, although I think he'll lose his match.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post
    From what I had a chance to watch Murray looked great today and has completely changed his clay court game.

Murray is +329 in the semis, that's a really tempting underdog bet from what I've seen. As is Tsonga at +186, although I think he'll lose his match.
    Murray is really, really good but there's literally nothing he can do that Djokovic can't also do. Both are undefeated on clay this season fwiw. Djokovic is just so much more resilient, just so much tougher than anyone else. I can't see Murray beating him in a 5 set match. Three sets and it could go either way. I also think Tsonga is going to lose but I have a Wawrinka bias. Tsonga has taken out two players ranked ahead of Wawrinka so far and he'll have the home court advantage so he's at the very least an attractive underdog to be sure. He's got the more beatable opponent. I'd rather put my money on him if I was putting money on an upset. Betting against Novak at this point is kind of like betting against Mayweather.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Murray is really, really good but there's literally nothing he can do that Djokovic can't also do. Both are undefeated on clay this season fwiw. Djokovic is just so much more resilient, just so much tougher than anyone else. I can't see Murray beating him in a 5 set match. Three sets and it could go either way. I also think Tsonga is going to lose but I have a Wawrinka bias. Tsonga has taken out two players ranked ahead of Wawrinka so far and he'll have the home court advantage so he's at the very least an attractive underdog to be sure. He's got the more beatable opponent. I'd rather put my money on him if I was putting money on an upset. Betting against Novak at this point is kind of like betting against Mayweather.
    Djokovic is the favourite by a lot, not doubt. But I think there's a greater than 21% chance (the odds I ended up getting) that Murray wins so I pissed some money away on that lol. I'm not a tennis expert (jaysblue?) but he seems to have changed his clay court game by being a lot more aggressive while maintaining his agility/defense. Either way I just hope it's not a straight sets beat down. I'm also a Stan fan, guy's been one of my favourite players for years glad to see him finally breakthrough last year!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post
    Djokovic is the favourite by a lot, not doubt. But I think there's a greater than 21% chance (the odds I ended up getting) that Murray wins so I pissed some money away on that lol. I'm not a tennis expert (jaysblue?) but he seems to have changed his clay court game by being a lot more aggressive while maintaining his agility/defense. Either way I just hope it's not a straight sets beat down. I'm also a Stan fan, guy's been one of my favourite players for years glad to see him finally breakthrough last year!
    Well what adds intrigue to the Murray matchup is that they haven't faced each other on clay yet (the whole reason why they can both sport perfect records on the surface). We won't really know what the improvements Murray has made truly means until he faces Novak but there's absolutely no doubt these two have been the best clay court players this year. The difference between the two is that Novak hasn't lost a match in three month and has only lost two all season. I expect him to sweep the slams but I suppose there's always the possibility that Murray's improved clay court game is the one thing that prevents it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,056 Posts
    U.S. Open tickets went on sale this past Monday for AMEX cardholders and go on sale to the general public this upcoming Monday - for those interested or thinking of going down.

I got tickets for the Men's Final during the presale! Also, the Jays are in town that weekend as well, so added bonus! I'm going to try and snag some tickets for the Men's semifinals on the Friday when they go on sale to the general public on Monday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post

I got tickets for the Men's Final during the presale!
    Do you mind divulging how much that set you back?

Thanks
    Do you mind divulging how much that set you back?
    $188 USD so with the conversion rate it came to like $245 CAD which is not that bad. I'm sitting in the upper level (promenade seating), so the seats are far more affordable. Loge seats are $465 USD each and in the lower level they are $1000 USD. They weren't even available anyways, so I just took the best available. I'm hoping I could catch the semis as well on the Friday.

There are a ton of seats still available for the Women's final on Saturday, though I can't justify spending big bucks watching Serena crush whoever she faces in less than an hour. As well, tickets are still available for the quarters though that would require a 5-6 night stay in NYC which would definitely set me back lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    $188 USD so with the conversion rate it came to like $245 CAD which is not that bad. I'm sitting in the upper level (promenade seating), so the seats are far more affordable. Loge seats are $465 USD each and in the lower level they are $1000 USD. They weren't even available anyways, so I just took the best available. I'm hoping I could catch the semis as well on the Friday.

There are a ton of seats still available for the Women's final on Saturday, though I can't justify spending big bucks watching Serena crush whoever she faces in less than an hour. As well, tickets are still available for the quarters though that would require a 5-6 night stay in NYC which would definitely set me back lol.
    I'd be really interested in doing a combination tennis/baseball trip one of these days. One thing I've considered is combining spring training with the Miami Open. Tickets would be a lot cheaper that's for sure, lol (not that the U.S. Open prices are bad for what they are).

Thanks
    I'd be really interested in doing a combination tennis/baseball trip one of these days. One thing I've considered is combining spring training with the Miami Open. Tickets would be a lot cheaper that's for sure, lol (not that the U.S. Open prices are bad for what they are).
    Yeah prices to the U.S. Open aren't that bad, especially if you going during the first week/weekend. You can get Loge seats for like $100 or cheaper at Ashe during the first week. I've already been to the U.S. Open twice. Even the Australian Open prices were quite reasonable. To be honest, I'm sure the U.S. Open is cheaper than some other ATP 1000 series or 500 series tournaments. The Rogers Cup is always quite expensive I've found for the type of tournament it is. It gets way overhyped now with the rise of Milos and Genie so thats why they are able to charge more expensive prices. You get far more value going to U.S. Open, since you get the opportunity to watch more matches and see more tennis players.

Thanks
    Don't look now but we might see a major upset. Serena is down a set and fighting illness in her semi final match against Switzerland's Timea Bacszinszky. Serena is the only top 10 player left in the women's tournament.

Thanks
    Don't look now but we might see a major upset. Serena is down a set and fighting illness in her semi final match against Switzerland's Timea Bacszinszky. Serena is the only top 10 player left in the women's tournament.
    And just as I wrote that, Serena picked up her first break of serve.

Thanks
    And so much for the upset. Serena took the 2nd and swept the 3rd. Right back to business a usual.

Thanks
    Major props to Murray for giving Novak a good match. He showed a resiliency and toughness I didn't know he had snatching two extremely hardly fought 7-5 sets, winning some amazing rallies and pushing Novak to the limit but Novak is just too damn tough and dominated the 5th set.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,673 Times in 5,891 Posts
    Major props to Murray for giving Novak a good match. He showed a resiliency and toughness I didn't know he had snatching two extremely hardly fought 7-5 sets, winning some amazing rallies and pushing Novak to the limit but Novak is just too damn tough and dominated the 5th set.
    It's all over now.