• PHI
    ATL
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • CHC
    CLE
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • WSH
    SD
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • TOR
    LAA
    Preview
    7:07 PM ET
  • TB
    BOS
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • NYM
    MIA
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • CIN
    PIT
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • MIL
    ARI
    Preview
    7:40 PM ET
  • TEX
    NYY
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • CWS
    BAL
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • MIN
    DET
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • HOU
    SF
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • STL
    KC
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • OAK
    SEA
    Preview
    10:05 PM ET
  • LAD
    COL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 225 to 240 of 478

Thread: Official Off Topic Thread

  1. #225
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,174
    Thanks
    2,375
    Thanked 8,796 Times in 5,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Or you could be less sensitive and take it in the context in which it was said. ��
    Yeah Wok, get your mind out of the gutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

  2. #226
    Moderator Governator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    11,105
    Thanks
    2,951
    Thanked 5,236 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Paying hard for that nice summer...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

  3. #227
    All Star silvergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,215
    Thanks
    7,290
    Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,342 Posts
    It's not "try and" do something, it's "try to."

    The word AND should never follow TRY except, for example, "I'll try, and also, piss off sg."

    If you talk/type this way fucking fix yourself.

  4. #228
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,973
    Thanks
    2,576
    Thanked 7,131 Times in 4,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergun View Post
    It's not "try and" do something, it's "try to."

    If you talk/type this way fucking fix yourself.
    I really hate when people say "if worse comes to worse." Worse is already worse, it can only come to worst. Or possibly wurst.

  5. #229
    DONOR P2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    7,086
    Thanks
    4,254
    Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,790 Posts
    If wurst comes to Worcest

  6. #230

  7. #231

  8. #232
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,174
    Thanks
    2,375
    Thanked 8,796 Times in 5,432 Posts
    They got Lance Armstrong tho and he was the only one who cheated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

  9. #233
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13,218
    Thanks
    844
    Thanked 3,103 Times in 2,300 Posts

  10. #234
    All Star silvergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,215
    Thanks
    7,290
    Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,342 Posts
    I heard in a comedy routine that Merriam-Webster has now included a second definition for literally which is LITERALLY the opposite of the definition.

    Then I looked it up and my world was shattered.

    2: in effect : virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible <will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins>
    So at this point you have no idea what I meant by saying it's literally the opposite...am I being literal? ...which kind?


  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

    Laika (02-02-2017),Spanky99 (02-02-2017)

  12. #235
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,174
    Thanks
    2,375
    Thanked 8,796 Times in 5,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergun View Post
    I heard in a comedy routine that Merriam-Webster has now included a second definition for literally which is LITERALLY the opposite of the definition.

    Then I looked it up and my world was shattered.



    So at this point you have no idea what I meant by saying it's literally the opposite...am I being literal? ...which kind?

    My question is, who made fucking Merriam-Webster the arbiters of the English language? Why do they get to make a word mean the exact opposite of what it originally meant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

  13. #236
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,785
    Thanks
    3,979
    Thanked 13,808 Times in 8,183 Posts
    Literally Hitler
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

  14. #237
    Hall of Famer KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,454
    Thanks
    14,593
    Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    My question is, who made fucking Merriam-Webster the arbiters of the English language? Why do they get to make a word mean the exact opposite of what it originally meant?
    That's not how dictionaries work at all. They are not there to give us dictates on how to use language. Language is created by the users. Dictionaries are only there to reflect that back to us and tell us how language is evolving. If they were there to just dictate to us than there would hardly be any need for them to change at all. Merriam-Webster can't stick their head in the sand and ignore the way "literally" gets used. They have to acknowledge it no matter how nonsensical it is. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job. Ultimately the task of controlling this falls on each and every one of us not on Merriam-Webster.

  15. #238
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,096
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    That's not how dictionaries work at all. They are not there to give us dictates on how to use language. Language is created by the users. Dictionaries are only there to reflect that back to us and tell us how language is evolving. If they were there to just dictate to us than there would hardly be any need for them to change at all. Merriam-Webster can't stick their head in the sand and ignore the way "literally" gets used. They have to acknowledge it no matter how nonsensical it is. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job. Ultimately the task of controlling this falls on each and every one of us not on Merriam-Webster.
    Actually the court system relies on dictionaries for matters of interpretation. In Canada, the Oxford Canadian Dictionary is the go-to for the courts.

    I write legal, contract language documents almost daily.

  16. #239
    Hall of Famer KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,454
    Thanks
    14,593
    Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Actually the court system relies on dictionaries for matters of interpretation. In Canada, the Oxford Canadian Dictionary is the go-to for the courts.

    I write legal, contract language documents almost daily.
    Um... not sure what this changes about how dictionaries are created and for what purpose. I mean if the court system relies on the them that's fine but they are not written with that in mind. They are written to tell you how words are used at a given point in time. If the courts use them it's because they defer to their accuracy. I mean if a usage is in the dictionary than you can infer that the usage has enough cultural weigh to support it and that's fine but dictionaries are still dynamic entities.

  17. #240
    All Star silvergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,215
    Thanks
    7,290
    Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,342 Posts


    The bizarre boxer crabs that rip sea anemones in two to use as 'gloves' to get food

    Researches have discovered that boxer crabs carry sea anemones around to use as stingers to protect themselves from predators.

    The crabs carry the anemones around like pom poms and will even rip an anemone in two if it only has one.

    They also use the anemone pom poms to sting food which they then bring to their mouths and eat.
    That's just cool as shit.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

    P2F (02-07-2017),Spanky99 (02-07-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •