Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabermetrics | Introduction and Discussion

Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 3,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafro View Post
    Is there anything that accounts for strikeouts with runners on base versus no one on base. I would think it's more detrimental to strike out with runners on than no one on (especially with less than two out). I would also say it is more of a benefit for a pitcher to strike someone out with runners on.
    There is a stat like that, called RE24. You can read about it here. http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/re24/

The problem is that it faults the batter for coming up in a situation that he couldn't determine himself, kind of like RBI.
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GD For This Useful Post:

Nafro (06-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,253 Posts
    Thankss GD!

Now, shirtless sexy players and Kiermaier is hot thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Asia's suicide rate is very high; I'll try to raise it a little bit next month.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    Thankss GD!

Now, shirtless sexy players and Kiermaier is hot thread.
    yes, lets move on to more important matters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,478 Posts
    does looking at possible outcomes 1-0 count vs 0-1 change depending on the pitcher? my uneducated brain says a 0-1 count for say Sanchez is much worse than a 0-1 count for say Scherzer. I know that's extremely simplified... but is it a correct assumption?
    Pitchers that are prone to walks would perform comparatively worse when spotted a 1-0 count and comparatively better with a 0-1 count, sure. At 1-0, you're basically saying "how would making walks take place at three balls instead of four affect the pitcher?" Pitchers who are already slanted to throwing balls would perform worse in such a situation than pitchers slanted to throw strikes. The opposite would hold for 0-1 counts.

Thanks
    If WAR considers production in a vacuum, is there a way to know who's WAR is most legit?

When a guy, Donaldson for example, puts up ridiculous WAR, is there any way to know how legit it is? Something beyond "oh it's probably those pesky defensive metrics" *shrugs shoulders*

Is there any value in comparing WAR to WPA?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Disarray View Post
    If WAR considers production in a vacuum, is there a way to know who's WAR is most legit?

When a guy, Donaldson for example, puts up ridiculous WAR, is there any way to know how legit it is? Something beyond "oh it's probably those pesky defensive metrics" *shrugs shoulders*

What do you mean by legit? As in reflective of true talent?
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Disarray View Post

It's all a matter of what question you're trying to answer. WAR represents the sum of the average value of the events a player has generated. For example, a home run is worth ~1.7 runs on average and that's the value that gets worked into WAR. WPA represents the changes to game-state that occur when the player is standing on the mound/in the batter's box. Like WAR, but with more context and no defensive value. If you compared the two, you would get the game-contextual value added by the player, not including defense. Perhaps interesting but not meaningfully valuable.

I generally see value in stats like WAR; they serve their purpose well and can be used in hypothetical scenarios and summary scenarios (Player A is an X WAR player, Player B has compile Y wins in his career, etc.).

WAR doesn't tell us what a player's true-talent is, although it is much closer to illustrating past true talent than other, less comprehensive stats. You can use projections to be informed of how good a player like is, free of bias. A good projection system weighs the available public information properly to come up with how the player is likely to perform going forward. It will strip out the noise associated with defensive numbers and fluky peripherals.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthOf49 For This Useful Post:

GD (06-30-2015),Gen.Disarray (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,754 Posts
    the Edx sabr MOOC starts in a week. looks interesting.

Thanks
    the Edx sabr MOOC starts in a week. looks interesting.
    Take it! You can do it at your own pace and it's very well done. Really pleases everyone, I think.
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    Take it! You can do it at your own pace and it's very well done. Really pleases everyone, I think.
    I did a transcribing job for a study into the development of MOOCs. It was a group of university teachers who design MOOCs talking about the progression of them and future application of open resource teaching. I found it all really interesting. Interested in seeing how it works in reality and baseball is a good course to take. I'm not interested in building a robot or becoming a psychiatrist. lol two of the most offered MOOCs in the world.

right now I'm doing a project about train procurement in modern Europe. It's quite interesting and I get paid. bonus.

Thanks
    What do you mean by legit? As in reflective of true talent?
    As in reflective of actual wins contributed to the teams win total. Like could two equal WAR players contribute drastically different value to their teams wins because of chance?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,447 Times in 2,288 Posts
    "AVG – (Batting Average) A ratio of hits/at bats for a hitter. AVG assumes that all hits are equal, but we all know a home run is worth more than a single, so there are some issues here."

Thanks, i was always trying to figure out what this nerd stat was.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,007 Times in 1,903 Posts
    Thanks Dr. GD. I'm more uneducated old school than I thought after reading that.

Is there a stat that measures on a per AB basis how much I am hating on Dioner Navarro? And should this feeling be adjusted for the fact he replaced JPA?

Thanks
    Pounds/AB?
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,007 Times in 1,903 Posts
    Pounds/AB?
    Thanks. That works. I need the help on the 'metrics. I failed "Stats" @ Acadia University in 1986.

Playing football...working out...and partying every night were not courses. Who knew?

Thanks
    we'll let this stay sticky as a reference for users to be able to go into as long as it's an open dialog and kept at a good level of respect between community members.

thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to o2cui2i For This Useful Post:

Jayday (07-01-2015)