Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Traders?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 660 Posts
    I've been reading a bunch online about finance and investing and watched almost all of the lectures in this course (https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FB14A2200B87185) over the past few months.

Passively holding several index tracking ETFs made a lot of sense to me so that was the portfolio I went with. Had a decent lump sum (at least to me) that I just received so I opened a questrade tfsa and am going to go with 25% VAB, 25% VCN, 50% VXC. I luckily didn't buy before Wednesday of this past week but I did decide to buy some VXC shares Friday afternoon. It's intimidating to a beginner to enter the market with the large drops but I don't plan on touching it for many, many years so the risk is mitigated I guess.

Anyone have thoughts on those choices?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,868 Times in 6,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 43211234 View Post
    I've been reading a bunch online about finance and investing and watched almost all of the lectures in this course (https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FB14A2200B87185) over the past few months.

Passively holding several index tracking ETFs made a lot of sense to me so that was the portfolio I went with. Had a decent lump sum (at least to me) that I just received so I opened a questrade tfsa and am going to go with 25% VAB, 25% VCN, 50% VXC. I luckily didn't buy before Wednesday of this past week but I did decide to buy some VXC shares Friday afternoon. It's intimidating to a beginner to enter the market with the large drops but I don't plan on touching it for many, many years so the risk is mitigated I guess.

I'll send you my ex-wifes number... Wealth Advisor.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 3,444 Posts
    Been taking a securities course at my school. Starting to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    Aren't you in high school? A private Jew high then I guess?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 43211234 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,299 Times in 790 Posts

Ok, I don't know exactly how these funds work since I didn't read their prospectus, but something you have to watch out for is how they handle the exchange rate. Taking VXC for instance, that's flat on the year which doesn't make any sense until you consider that the Canadian dollar has dropped a lot against all international currencies. So you paid a lot for that fund because all those stocks that are tracked in the ETF have risen against the Canadian dollar even if they dropped on their home markets in their local currency.

If the economy picks up (and I'm assuming you believe this because you're buying long ETFs), oil will rise and so will the Canadian dollar. So when that happens you're going to get fucked on the exchange rate going back up. So you have to be very careful to read how they deal with foreign currency fluctuations in the global funds you buy. Unless you think the dollar is going to stay at 70 cents US.

Honestly, I think you're better off buying XIU. Not that I think iShares are better, but if you're holding for the long term, you have to believe oil is going to go up, and it's better to bet on our domestic economy (and currency) in that instance. At a minimum I suggest investing in global funds that hedge against currency fluctuations. I don't know if Vangaurd does or not, but like I said the only way that VXC could be flat recently is because the fund won a lot on a tanking $CAD, which means they don't hedge.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    Honestly, I think you're better off buying XIU. Not that I think iShares are better, but if you're holding for the long term, you have to believe oil is going to go up, and it's better to bet on our domestic economy (and currency) in that instance. At a minimum I suggest investing in global funds that hedge against currency fluctuations. I don't know if Vangaurd does or not, but like I said the only way that VXC could be flat recently is because the fund won a lot on a tanking $CAD, which means they don't hedge.
    You do have to be careful with contract rollover month to month on things like iShares, if I remember right.

Thanks
    Aren't you in high school? A private Jew high then I guess?
    It's a standard provincial course. My teacher wrote the curriculum on it
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    The stock I mentioned previously in this thread, EUO, got its main division purchased by SICPA (a billion dollar Swiss security firm) for $16 million in cash and a minimum $1.5M royalty each year for the next 6 years. The stock price is flat from when I last mentioned it, but flat in this market has actually been really good. The cash they'll receive in this deal is 18 cents per share for the upfront $16M portion plus another 5-10 cents for the royalty depending on how much you discount its NPV. So it's trading at a big discount to the cash, plus still has two other divisions to work with.

If you want one that I think will make you a ton, PKK. I'm thinking maybe 10x times your money in a year. It's 5 cents now so let's see if it hits 50 by the end of the year. The reason is that they have this wicked deal with a Chinese firm that's going to make them a lot of money. The guys who run the stock are good friends with this one business man in China who is setting them up with a couple of advantageous deals. I don't have the time to go through the whole story, but this message board is one you'll want to check out for information on it:

http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/...chnologies-inc

alainddd and RE38 are the two best posters who will lead you down the right path if you ask them questions. The one thing with penny stocks though is they are risky. If for some reason the deal doesn't go through, it blows up and you could lose what you put in. Obviously I don't think it'll happen or I wouldn't bother writing here about it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

Nafro (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    You do have to be careful with contract rollover month to month on things like iShares, if I remember right.
    I know for a fact that's the case on the levered ones and the commodity-tracking ones. Less sure on XIU. Like I said I'm not an ETF guy so everyone who wants to buy these things for the long term needs to look at the prospectus. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Thanks
    I can already see the conversations happening now:

Man to his wife: "Honey, let's put all of our money into these two penny stocks called EUO and PKK. Someone called Dick Pole on a baseball message board said these two stocks are going to be big money makers. He sounds like a trustworthy and credible individual."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

Abomination (01-10-2016),canadiansportsjunkie (01-10-2016),GD (01-10-2016),intentional wok (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Ok, I don't know exactly how these funds work since I didn't read their prospectus, but something you have to watch out for is how they handle the exchange rate. Taking VXC for instance, that's flat on the year which doesn't make any sense until you consider that the Canadian dollar has dropped a lot against all international currencies. So you paid a lot for that fund because all those stocks that are tracked in the ETF have risen against the Canadian dollar even if they dropped on their home markets in their local currency.

If the economy picks up (and I'm assuming you believe this because you're buying long ETFs), oil will rise and so will the Canadian dollar. So when that happens you're going to get fucked on the exchange rate going back up. So you have to be very careful to read how they deal with foreign currency fluctuations in the global funds you buy. Unless you think the dollar is going to stay at 70 cents US.

Currency risk was a large concern. VXC is not hedged but there are others that are. I was thinking buying some hedged, some non-hedged but I'm not sure yet. That was one of the reasons I didn't purchase my full planned VXC allocation yesterday. I'm thinking of making up the rest of my planned VXC allocation with VI (a hedged all cap developed market excluding north america index) and VUS (hedged total us market).

But I was also reading some places that it still isn't worth the cost of hedging. I could also maybe buy a big larger percent of VCN (the canadian index).

Who knows what's right? I'm investing only 10k and I'm 23 so these smaller decisions aren't going to make or break me anyways. More of an introduction and learning experience (not that I don't think I'm making a sound investment).

Thanks
    It's a standard provincial course. My teacher wrote the curriculum on it
    O

I'm a country bumpkin so my high school barely had enough kids to even have a physics class, let alone something like that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 43211234 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,903 Times in 3,357 Posts
    And have you realized that it's just like analyzing baseball stats yet? Coming from the regulatory side of the industry, my view is skewed but don't bother with advisors, just trade on your own for fun until you can afford to really play.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Nafro (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    And have you realized that it's just like analyzing baseball stats yet?
    too many big words
    climate change (lol)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GD For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-10-2016)

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Two companies I have bought with some success are (up about 20 and 10 percent respectively) Sandvine (SVC) and Canopy Growth Corporation (CGC). I used to effectively buy and sell ETF's (mostly HNU), but lost my tolerance for the risk. I'm not real sure how I feel about Horizon's BetaPro as a whole.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    The stock I mentioned previously in this thread, EUO, got its main division purchased by SICPA (a billion dollar Swiss security firm) for $16 million in cash and a minimum $1.5M royalty each year for the next 6 years. The stock price is flat from when I last mentioned it, but flat in this market has actually been really good. The cash they'll receive in this deal is 18 cents per share for the upfront $16M portion plus another 5-10 cents for the royalty depending on how much you discount its NPV. So it's trading at a big discount to the cash, plus still has two other divisions to work with.

If you want one that I think will make you a ton, PKK. I'm thinking maybe 10x times your money in a year. It's 5 cents now so let's see if it hits 50 by the end of the year. The reason is that they have this wicked deal with a Chinese firm that's going to make them a lot of money. The guys who run the stock are good friends with this one business man in China who is setting them up with a couple of advantageous deals. I don't have the time to go through the whole story, but this message board is one you'll want to check out for information on it:

http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/...chnologies-inc

alainddd and RE38 are the two best posters who will lead you down the right path if you ask them questions. The one thing with penny stocks though is they are risky. If for some reason the deal doesn't go through, it blows up and you could lose what you put in. Obviously I don't think it'll happen or I wouldn't bother writing here about it.
    I'll probably buy 10000 shares of PKK and never think about it again.