Page 402 of 420 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412 ... LastLast
Results 6,417 to 6,432 of 6707

Thread: Official MiLB/Prospects Thread

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 695 Posts
    Isn't McGuire an elite defender, or at least very good at catcher? If his bat is for real then I would have to think he's a top prospect. I mean, he's only 22 and did well in AA despite being injured for most of the year. Really depends on whether he made an adjustment of some sort that got his bat going or it is just a small sample hot streak. His K/BB has always been good. It's just that he had Josh Thole levels of non existent power.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,998 Times in 3,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Isn't McGuire an elite defender, or at least very good at catcher? If his bat is for real then I would have to think he's a top prospect. I mean, he's only 22 and did well in AA despite being injured for most of the year. Really depends on whether he made an adjustment of some sort that got his bat going or it is just a small sample hot streak. His K/BB has always been good. It's just that he had Josh Thole levels of non existent power.
    Last year's BA write up

The Pirates drafted McGuire with the second of their two first-round picks in 2013, No. 14 overall, and the Blue Jays acquired him in a deadline deal that also brought lefty Francisco Liriano and outfielder Harold Ramirez to the Jays. Only one prep catcher has been drafted as highly since McGuire's selection (Reds, Tyler Stephenson, 11th overall in 2015), and high school catcher is a notoriously risky demographic. McGuire's risk is with his bat. He is a solid catch-and-throw backstop with has soft hands, good agility and an average arm that plays up with a quick transfer and plus accuracy. He threw out 37 percent of baserunners, third-best in the Double-A Eastern League. He opened the season as one of the youngest players in the EL, and it has caught up to him offensively. McGuire has drawn walks and made contact in full-season ball but has just 54 extra-base hits, including only four home runs, the last three seasons. McGuire's short swing path is flat and helps him make consistent contact, but he doesn't have the bat speed or strength to consistently drive the ball. The Jays lacked upper-level catching prospects until acquiring McGuire, who needs offensive development but could be Russell Martin's heir if it happen

But with that said someone posted minor league framing and he rated poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,929 Times in 4,946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Last year's BA write up

The Pirates drafted McGuire with the second of their two first-round picks in 2013, No. 14 overall, and the Blue Jays acquired him in a deadline deal that also brought lefty Francisco Liriano and outfielder Harold Ramirez to the Jays. Only one prep catcher has been drafted as highly since McGuire's selection (Reds, Tyler Stephenson, 11th overall in 2015), and high school catcher is a notoriously risky demographic. McGuire's risk is with his bat. He is a solid catch-and-throw backstop with has soft hands, good agility and an average arm that plays up with a quick transfer and plus accuracy. He threw out 37 percent of baserunners, third-best in the Double-A Eastern League. He opened the season as one of the youngest players in the EL, and it has caught up to him offensively. McGuire has drawn walks and made contact in full-season ball but has just 54 extra-base hits, including only four home runs, the last three seasons. McGuire's short swing path is flat and helps him make consistent contact, but he doesn't have the bat speed or strength to consistently drive the ball. The Jays lacked upper-level catching prospects until acquiring McGuire, who needs offensive development but could be Russell Martin's heir if it happen

But with that said someone posted minor league framing and he rated poorly.
    Sounds like a backup to me. I guess we do have Martin for a few more years, though. Hopefully Jansen is something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Sounds like a backup to me.
    For sure but that was before he had his best offensive season. Granted, it was only 150 AB's but he hit more homers in those 150 AB's than he did in the previous 4 minor league seasons combined.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-17-2017),THANOS (10-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,998 Times in 3,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Sounds like a backup to me. I guess we do have Martin for a few more years, though. Hopefully Jansen is something.
    Soon Martin will be needing a 2 out of every 5 day backup (maybe as early as next year) so hopefully one of them develops soon and we don't have to go into the backup barrel too many more times. I've given up trying to figure out what works for a catching prospect. TINSTAACP
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    For sure but that was before he had his best offensive season. Granted, it was only 150 AB's but he hit more homers in those 150 AB's than he did in the previous 4 minor league seasons combined.
    That more along the lines of what I was getting at. I know he projected as a backup before last season and all the reports said his bat sucked. Once healthy last year, he tore up AA in 150 PA's, with a high BB%, low K% + some pop like we've never seen before. I was just curious if he adopted a leg kick, or succumbed to the flyball rulz approach....something that might suggest the improvements are tangible and sustainable.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Soon Martin will be needing a 2 out of every 5 day backup (maybe as early as next year) so hopefully one of them develops soon and we don't have to go into the backup barrel too many more times. I've given up trying to figure out what works for a catching prospect. TINSTAACP
    I think Vogt would make a good target for backup catcher.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,224 Posts
    This isn't prospect news per se, but I figure it belongs in here since he's done such a great job covering prospects for many years...

Baseball America's John Manuel is taking a job with the Twins.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,578 Times in 2,381 Posts
    Good for him. Tough loss for BA though.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 6,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't give up on him. Here's an excerpt from SB Nation...

Taken in the first round in 2013, McGuire has been promoted aggressively, especially for a catcher. His bat hasn't caught up yet, but his defense draws raves. Like Diaz, McGuire hasn't struck out much, just six times in 81 plate appearances, so there's no reason to think the bat won't come around well enough to make him an above-average catcher in combination with his defensive skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Prospect
    Thanks
    My hope has been that McGuire might be our backup next year with Martin sitting a game and DH'ing a game a week. Now that's also based on the assumption we can dump Morales on someone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbert View Post
    My hope has been that McGuire might be our backup next year with Martin sitting a game and DH'ing a game a week. Now that's also based on the assumption we can dump Morales on someone.
    why would you want him DH'ing? He's a 100 wRC+ player. If you want him DH'ing once a week, we need a new DH.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-17-2017)

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    why would you want him DH'ing? He's a 100 wRC+ player. If you want him DH'ing once a week, we need a new DH.
    Wouldn't that be an improvement over Morales? Didn't he have a wrc under 100?i would also hope to see a little more offense from Martin if the legs are fresher. I do agree that we need a better DH though.

I guess I'm operating under the assumption that we're likely signing short term vets in the offseason and would rather rotate guys like Martin, Tulo and Donaldson through DH than commit to Morales

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cbert For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (10-17-2017)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    It's worth noting that DHs on average last year were 99 wRC+ across the league.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (10-17-2017),Deadpool (10-23-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    It's worth noting that DHs on average last year were 99 wRC+ across the league.
    Also Martin was behind only 4 regular Jays in wRC+ this year, and Carrera was the only one who isn't a particularly good fielder.

In OBP Martin was one place better, with a much better OBP than Morales, or Pearce (a likely DH candidate if Morales wasn't available).

It's not a stretch to assume that if Martin was only catching 3 out of 5 games, that he'd DH about once a week if Morales wasn't tying up the DH spot.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,438 Times in 3,268 Posts
    Vladimir 3 for 4, HBP. Great play at 3B against Gabriel Guerrero

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Angrioter For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (10-23-2017),flafson (10-20-2017),mtljaysfan (10-18-2017),Nafro (10-19-2017),Spanky99 (10-19-2017)