Thread: Official MiLB/Prospects Thread

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,490 Posts
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    I think it's the bat to ball skills that will keep his obp down. I think Vlad has a lot more strike zone aggression and will put way more balls in play than Votto, which will keep his OBP down (and by down I mean... something like .380ish). I don't envision Vlad walking upwards of 16% of the time long term.
    Perhaps, or he may like Votto wear the pitcher down, and either hit the ball hard into play or get a walk, with a K rate below 10% (Votto is 16.2% K rate for his career). That would mean a Vlad OBP well over .400
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Perhaps, or he may like Votto wear the pitcher down, and either hit the ball hard into play or get a walk, with a K rate below 10% (Votto is 16.2% K rate for his career). That would mean a Vlad OBP well over .400
    I don't think it's really fair to project someone to be Ted Williams though....
    ****FREE SPANKY****

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I think Walker is especially hurt by the fact that it was Colorado. Dumb voters aren't giving him enough credit for his offense because they're over-correcting for Coors.
    Larry put up a .906 OPS in his last 144 games in his age 37 and age 38 years playing in St. Louis. He played through a herniated disk in his neck in his last season which covered a 100 games in St. Louis and he still put up those numbers. At an age where his skills should have deteriorated significantly from his peak, he put up hall of fame offensive numbers. He did so being able to only turn his head to one side. It's beyond ridiculous the guy isn't in the hall. I think he gets in via the veterans committee though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to saskjayfan For This Useful Post:

KingKat (05-16-2018)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Bork: Is Cavan Biggio legit?

12:10
    Kiley McDaniel: Talked to a guy that saw him recently and he thinks he’s a solid piece, but it’s fringy at 2B, more corner utility fit and is lifting the ball now so there’s more offensive upside but hard to see as everyday. I can already feel Jays fans being mad that I’m saying this but hey you found a real prospect outside the top few rounds so feel good

Mike: How much longer realistically can the Jay’s keep Vlad Jr. In the minors and do you think they skip him over AAA. Also any concerns about Bo Bichette’s evaporation of slugging at A+ and now AA+, has his bat wrap been exploited by better pitching.

12:12
    Kiley McDaniel: From what I can gather, the Jays (and everyone with eyes) can see there isn’t much to gain from staying in AAA, but they want to motivate him to try harder at 3B, where he can be something approaching average in the short term, but he’s never really seemed to care that much about defense, for some obvious reasons. This is why we projected him to 1B just because this doesn’t feel like the longterm home even if he could choose to be serviceable there with more focus and keeping the body where it is.

12:13
    Kiley McDaniel: Also, I mentioned this last week, but we’ll be updating his present hit/power grades now, since I’m not sure anyone thought he’d be doing this well right now in a first look at Double-A with not exactly warm weather. And I confirmed that he’s hit three balls 117 mph this year so that’s pretty good.

Desperate, Confused Marlins Fan: Why wont the Blue Jays free Danny Jansen?

1:12
    Kiley McDaniel: #freedannyjansen
    ****FREE SPANKY****

DONOR
    Thanks
    Blue Jays prospect Bo Bichette has changed representation, hiring CAA Baseball, per Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca (via Twitter). The 20-year-old was a second-round pick in the 2016 draft.

Bichette vaulted up prospect rankings boards after a big showing in two A-ball leagues in 2017. He opened the current season at Double-A, where he carries a .279/.353/.421 slash with one home run and nine steals.

Though he is not quite as celebrated as teammate Vladimir Guerrero Jr., who is also the son of a long-time big leaguer, Bichette entered the year as a consensus top-20 prospect leaguewide. There’s some question whether Bichette will stick at shortstop, he carries the promise of delivering some defensive value along with an intriguing bat.

As always, you can find up-to-date MLB representation information at MLBTR’s Agency Database.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Updating Vladís hit/power grades mean.. 80/70? 80/80?

Hitting exit velocities 100+ on the regular and 117 on multiple occasions, while batting .415 at 19 yrs old is no joke

Thanks
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocky View Post
    Updating Vlad’s hit/power grades mean.. 80/70? 80/80?

Hitting exit velocities 100+ on the regular and 117 on multiple occasions, while batting .415 at 19 yrs old is no joke
    Probably 80 Raw Power and 70 Game Power with a 80 Hit.

Law said he had a 70 arm which was pretty impressive to hear although said the defense is bad.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Kevin Smith had a 2-5 day with a homer and a double.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocky View Post
    Updating Vlad’s hit/power grades mean.. 80/70? 80/80?

Probably something like 65/80 and 60/70

DONOR
    Thanks
    From BA's most recent Hot Sheet chat:

Gregg (513): Vlad Jr - is it too early to call him a generational talent ?

J.J. Cooper: He's special. He's an awesome prospect. It depends on your definition of "generational talent." Mike Trout is one of the greatest players in baseball history and he was a prospect during this decade. They are of the same generation, so from that aspect, it's hard to say he's a "once in a generation" type player. And as much as I love Guerrero as a prospect, he'll play in the big leagues at the same time as Miguel Cabrera, so there's some generational overlap there too. But I could also say he's as advanced a 19-year-old hitter as we've seen in this generation, so I could make the argument that such a qualifier makes him a generational talent.

psw (long beach, ca.): How long do you think Vlad jr. will stay at double a

J.J. Cooper: The argument for keeping him in Double-A is to let him continue to work on his glove. As a hitter, Double-A isn't challenging enough. Triple-A probably wouldn't be either. And I think MLB pitching would be challenging but not too much for him right now. I do think he'd struggle if you had him face the NL All-Star pitching staff right now.

Andrew (Alberta (Canada)): With Kevin Smith's hot start to the season, has he surpassed Warmoth on the Jays depth chart? Or is it too early for that? Thanks

J.J. Cooper: That's a fascinating question. He hasn't surpassed him on the depth chart yet as the reason he's overmatching LoA pitchers is because Warmoth is in HiA blocking that spot. As good as Smith's year is, and it's been outstanding, he should be too good for that league. But his success is likely to get the Blue Jays thinking about working some sort of job-sharing arrangement in Dunedin before too long, maybe play both at 2B a little too and some DH. Warmoth isn't ready for Double-A (and Bo Bichette is there), but Smith is more than ready for HiA.

AA (FL): Any concern about Bo Bichette's lack of power? Seems to be going through a slow stretch recently, but hasn't hit a HR all year. Any changes to his approach or just small sample size? Thanks!

J.J. Cooper: He's been going through a slow stretch, but he's a 20 year old in Double-A adjusting to a new level. I'm not worried.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

13. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-17-2018)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,098 Times in 2,749 Posts

Thanks
    You also have to factor in short-term ticket sales and goodwill between Vlad's camp and your organization vs. $10M in 2021. Also, winning baseball games?

Also, it has to be a big positive if other international signees know that you will pay them as soon as they're ready. Seems like a big competitive advantage to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,823 Posts
    I don't follow him on the Twitter, so maybe someone more in the know could help me out with this question: Does Jim Bowden always come across like an illiterate ten-year old?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to P2F For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-17-2018)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    I don't follow him on the Twitter, so maybe someone more in the know could help me out with this question: Does Jim Bowden always come across like an illiterate ten-year old?
    No, usually he comes across as a completely stupid AND illiterate 10 year old.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You also have to factor in short-term ticket sales and goodwill between Vlad's camp and your organization vs. $10M in 2021. Also, winning baseball games?

Also, it has to be a big positive if other international signees know that you will pay them as soon as they're ready. Seems like a big competitive advantage to me.
    If you are forecasting a 5 Win season in that last year the extra year of control is worth probably $50 Million so in a way you aren't just saving the actual $.

I agree you would make a lot more $ with tickets and TV ratings bringing him up now. Seems defense is the biggest reason he's still in AA.