Page 1029 of 1043 FirstFirst ... 295299299791019102710281029103010311039 ... LastLast
Results 16,449 to 16,464 of 16687

Thread: Around Baseball 2016

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Rogers loses boatloads of money on the jays. The sooner everyone accepts that the better.
    Not anymore they don't. 165 million people watched the Jays on TV last season. From the info I could find online, more than the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox combined. That kind of exposure is worth over 160 mill if you take advertising dollars at half of what they are worth in the US.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,338 Posts
    I don't mind the Payroll being lower than it should be if they are spending that money elsewhere on player development, R+D etc...

But unless Shapiro comes out and says they used "x" amount of money for those types of things its pretty tough to know if that money is being spent.

The real interesting thing is going to be if Rogers has the nerve to ask for taxpayers $ for the $200-300 Million renovation on Rogers Centre.

MVP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Not anymore they don't. 165 million people watched the Jays on TV last season. From the info I could find online, more than the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox combined. That kind of exposure is worth over 160 mill if you take advertising dollars at half of what they are worth in the US.
    He is trolling

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Sarcasm homey

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Ramos
    Barraclough
    Phelps
    Ziegler
    Tazawa
    Capps

That's a deep pen
    I think Capps is in San Diego.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 791 Posts
    Did the MLB every do anything about Caps jumping half way home before throwing the ball?
    #FireCasey

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    Did the MLB every do anything about Caps jumping half way home before throwing the ball?
    No, they ruled it legal. I'll be curious to see if they have a change of heart when he comes back this season and more controversy is unearthed over it.

Edit: Here's an article on the ruling...

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/118060...legal-pitches/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    This doesn't necessarily translate to revenue. It appears that advertising rates in Canada are, on average, 1/3 the cost of what they are in the USA (our advertising rates are probably closer to what Detroit or KC gets, which is very different from what NY or LA do). Add in the low Canadian dollar (and probably 1/2 our revenue is in CAD compared to much of the baseball related expenses being in USD), and our payroll being where it is actually seems pretty fair imo.
    How come other TV properties in Canada are selling for tons of Money then? NHL contract was massive, NHL regional deals are quite large. Not to mention MLB games are probably worth the most to advertisers given the timing of the commercials (for NHL, NBA people will just leave at intermission and go do something else or change the channel)

MVP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    How come other TV properties in Canada are selling for tons of Money then? NHL contract was massive, NHL regional deals are quite large. Not to mention MLB games are probably worth the most to advertisers given the timing of the commercials (for NHL, NBA people will just leave at intermission and go do something else or change the channel)
    Underdeveloped market
    Goodbye AA.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,494 Posts
    I'm pretty sure we went into the NHL deal in depth previously and hashed out some best guesses. I don't have it bookmarked though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    So why aren't the Rangers signing Edwin?
    No money and the team doesn't want a repeat of the Prince Fielder contract (which they are still paying while Fielder's permanently on the 60-day DL with his neck injury and will never play again). Plus, their 40-man is full, and they don't want to block Joey Gallo or 1B prospect Ronald Guzman..

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Insurance paying a chunk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I'm pretty sure we went into the NHL deal in depth previously and hashed out some best guesses. I don't have it bookmarked though.
    Remember talking about it but can't remember what the conclusion was. I still think Rogers rakes in the $ off it.

Beeston always said you could make the numbers look a lot worse than they actually are. And thats Paul friggen Beeston...

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Remember talking about it but can't remember what the conclusion was. I still think Rogers rakes in the $ off it.

Beeston always said you could make the numbers look a lot worse than they actually are. And thats Paul friggen Beeston...
    When your corporation owns both the company buying and the company selling the product; I would guess a little "manipulation" is possible. LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,883 Posts
    Rogers exec's are also losing their job over the hockey deal. Sportsnet needed more live programming and they overpaid for hockey. This is old info from a Huff Post article but it's one that shows that ad revenue in Canada is not what we think it is.

It's 2012 but for Sportsnet only about $55M in ad revenue for all non NHL shows...which included the Olympics. Here is the full article. It doesn't include the number of people which upgrade TV packages to get all the channels and stuff like that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/barry-k...b_4815741.html
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 3,723 Posts
    Didn't they knowingly overpay to try to take out TSN?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-18-2016)