Page 11 of 994 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 Times in 1,845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Brainless masses triumph!!!!!!

Speaking of useless petitions, I signed a change.org petition once just so I could troll the comments section which was full of butthurt crybabies (this one was for Canada Post to keep door to door service...fuck costs, amirite?). Ever since, I guess I'm on the mailing list and I don't want to unsubscribe because some of the things people start petitions over are hilarious. I just got one from the beekeeper ferderation of Canada, and long and short of it is, they want Billy Bee to stop using cheap honey from Argentina and China as a blend with Canadian honey. So, "hey Billy Bee, massive corporation that only cares about profits, please stop caring about profits and give me teh munniez!!!!! K thx"
    I once signed a petition for the AHA Foundation (Ayaan Hirsi Ali) and on the same day received some bullshit about Coca Cola cans. I still get them and most aren't even worth the brief second of interest I have when my phone beeps that I have a new email.

On another note:

Tonight's Munk Debate on the refugee crisis. Specifically, should we be opening our arms so freely to the large numbers of refugees coming out of the ME and Northern Africa?

http://livestream.com/Munk-Debates/g...refugee-crisis

I feel like the Con side won, with both its reps using actual figures to support their arguments. I didn't think Louise Arbour (on the Pro side) was all bad, though she wasn't good either. (She did make a couple of sharp points against the two Cons on separate occasions, so credit where it's due.) I think the problem was that she got teamed up with a buffoon who could barely stay on subject and made a couple of glib remarks that even the nastiest internet troll would scoff at. The Con side also brought up some pieces of news that I hadn't even heard about. I googled them to make sure they weren't sensationalizing and was stunned to see they were true. You'll know which ones when you hear them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    No disrespect intended and not happy he is gone. Especially the way he went. But all this gushing over the guy is beyond me. I know some people really liked him but he made a late night TV laughing stock of Toronto. He was a living caricature. It was like watching a Chris Farley skit...in real life.

I never saw him as a benevolent guy. He could be pretty nasty. Even discounting for his addiction issues, he just didn't seem like a nice fellow to me. I didn't know him so I could be wrong, but that was my impression.
    I think he was a nice guy with a short fuse. He was elected mayor on a mandate of "cleaning up City Hall" so of course the politics are going to get nasty and confrontational because he was specifically targeting the perks of his peers. Whether he enjoyed that role or not and whether the stress of the job led him to his bad extra-curricular activities is another story. That being said he had a checkered past prior to becoming mayor but so do a lot of other people. The amount of his dirty laundry aired in public from slurs to allegations of domestic abuse was insane. Imagine having your most embarrassing moments put out in front of the world and how you would react.

Anyone reading this thread who has never used a racial slur (whether seriously, or in jest) nor threatened to kick someone's ass when you were super pissed off please raise your hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    I think he was a nice guy with a short fuse. He was elected mayor on a mandate of "cleaning up City Hall" so of course the politics are going to get nasty and confrontational because he was specifically targeting the perks of his peers. Whether he enjoyed that role or not and whether the stress of the job led him to his bad extra-curricular activities is another story. That being said he had a checkered past prior to becoming mayor but so do a lot of other people. The amount of his dirty laundry aired in public from slurs to allegations of domestic abuse was insane. Imagine having your most embarrassing moments put out in front of the world and how you would react.

Anyone reading this thread who has never used a racial slur (whether seriously, or in jest) nor threatened to kick someone's ass when you were super pissed off please raise your hand.
    My experience is that all politics are nasty. In Provincial and Federal politics there is an entire opposition paid to criticize your every move 24/7. It was his choice to run for and then become Mayor of Canada's largest city. He assumed a leadership position and all benefits and cons that come with it. Its not for the feint of heart. When you are in that position you are under a magnifying glass judged by a higher standard. If you don't know that something is wrong. Suck it up buttercup. That's just life is the fast lane.

Ive been around a ton of politicians in my life and everyone I know has experienced more than their fair share of scrutiny public and private. For the most part they accept it comes with the territory, fair or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post

I don't believe for one second that RoFo's mission was to cut waste and perks. That was just the political path he choose (or chosen for him by his family).

As mayor, rolling into the office at noon (or later), using public resources for his football coaching gig, commandeering a TTC bus for his players, hiring his buddies to work in his office, etc..... even disregarding the personal issues, he was a terrible mayor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,755 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    What a perfectly accurate and rational meme.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-04-2016),GD (04-03-2016),KingKat (04-03-2016),Spanky99 (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    with a raise in minimum wage, maybe the locals on welfare will get a job..... rather than having to import foreign labour every year?? win-win

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    What a perfectly accurate and rational meme.
    if kids working at McDonalds are going to make $15/hour everyone who IS making $15 now will want an equal value raise. when the people making $15 now get 25 the people making $25 now will want $40.....

the customer always pays for costs hikes. Companies will either have to automate, so that they can get rid of all entry level jobs or they will make less people work harder and the rest of the cost gets passed on to customer. Can't wait for the $17 dollar happy meal and $28 Big Mac meal or the $50 pizza.

people will also love when their plummer and electrician want $200 an hour.

the problem is this is that people are arguing that you can support a family on minimum wage, but if you idea of a career is working at McDonalds you probably shouldn't procreate. entry level jobs are to give people experience so they can move on to real jobs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    with a raise in minimum wage, maybe the locals on welfare will get a job..... rather than having to import foreign labour every year?? win-win
    it won't change just the minimum wage, long term it will raise all wages and costs so it's a zero win in the long term.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,003 Posts
    if kids working at McDonalds are going to make $15/hour everyone who IS making $15 now will want an equal value raise. when the people making $15 now get 25 the people making $25 now will want $40.....

the customer always pays for costs hikes. Companies will either have to automate, so that they can get rid of all entry level jobs or they will make less people work harder and the rest of the cost gets passed on to customer. Can't wait for the $17 dollar happy meal and $28 Big Mac meal or the $50 pizza.

the problem is this is that people are arguing that you can support a family on minimum wage, but if you idea of a career is working at McDonalds you probably shouldn't procreate. entry level jobs are to give people experience so they can move on to real jobs.

Holy fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,161 Posts
    it won't change just the minimum wage, long term it will raise all wages and costs so it's a zero win in the long term.
    Why do you think it will raise the wage of all jobs?
    If employers automatically gave raises because people wanted them/asked for them/felt entitled to them/ then we wouldn't need a minimum wage in the first place.

FYI: Mcdonald's price list 2014. Australia dollar is worth $0.77 USD
    Wow, Australia implemented a very high minimum wage, and the sky didn't fall. Incredible how they beat the odds.

That being said, it's not a bad idea to have a lower minimum wage for youth.

Thanks

Can't Always Get What You Want

This is simply raising the floor - there is no reason to believe everyone will get a commensurate wage increase.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    If employers automatically gave raises because people wanted them/asked for them/felt entitled to them/ then we wouldn't need a minimum wage in the first place.

Wow, Australia implemented a very high minimum wage, and the sky didn't fall. Incredible how they beat the odds.

Would be contrary to the charter. Also, why should someone aged 25 make more than someone aged 17 for the same work??

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-04-2016)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,714 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post

There's also the point that in many places minimum wage isn't indexed to inflation, and have been effectively dropping for years.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Would be contrary to the charter. Also, why should someone aged 25 make more than someone aged 17 for the same work??
    1) There are plenty of examples of unchallenged age-based discrimination. Seniors and youth pricing for example.
    2) Ontario already has laws to pay less for students.
    3) The theory is that they should make more based on need. They are less likely to be living at home with mom and dad.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 Times in 1,845 Posts
    What reason would McDonald's have for hiring a parent in his/her 30s over an 18-year-old then, if the difference is a few dollars an hour? I'd just hire as many 18-year-olds as I need until the shit sticks rather than invest extra in someone who is past the wage threshold.