Preview
    10:07 PM ET
Page 2 of 724 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,216 Times in 4,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...iploma-divide/

Obviously Jimcanuck was being hyperbolic, but Trump voters tend to be very stupid.
    How many Clinton voters fall in that camp?

It's pretty obvious one sided smear tactics. Reminds me of that poll about Agrabah where 30% of Republican voters said they were in favour of bombing it, but conveniently left out that 20% of Dems did too. Surprised you can't see through that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,552 Times in 6,891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    I saw that site Jim posted and it doesn't even link to the poll it's referencing lol.

Sure, I'm just being a dick. Splitting hairs but I think IQ would be a better way than education to determine this.
    I don't think there would be a way to get IQ information. Educational attainment is a pretty good proxy for intelligence anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    How many Clinton voters fall in that camp?

It's pretty obvious one sided smear tactics. Reminds me of that poll about Agrabah where 30% of Republican voters said they were in favour of bombing it, but conveniently left out that 20% of Dems did too. Surprised you can't see through that.
    I mean, they're just reporting facts here. Less educated Republicans tend to vote for Trump while their more educated base is splitting the vote among other people. Fivethirtyeight isn't exactly a rag.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

crazy47larry (03-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 654 Posts
    Jim, it really sounds like you've been indoctrinated at some point in your life. I thought you were an older man but you sound like a recent graduate from a York social studies program. Basically your political stance can be summarized as any statement or event that is considered remotely right-wing or conservative, you are passionately against. And you've demonstrated that your love for the underdog is not born out of compassion for your fellow man, given the comments you had for Rob Ford shortly after he passed. I don't know what to think of you, but you're making it very hard on yourself to be taken seriously.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

GD (03-28-2016),Smokey (03-29-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Nuked the old thread because it was created by Kang and he wanted his account deleted.
    is there any way u could bring it back but have it locked? some interesting stuff on there.
    "Yeah well you know..."
    - John Gibbons preamble

Thanks
    Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,431 Posts
    I don't think there would be a way to get IQ information. Educational attainment is a pretty good proxy for intelligence anyway.
    Yeah I doubt there's enough high-IQ non-diplomas to affect the data. But any at all is enough reason to #feeltheBern #Im12howtopolitics
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy47larry View Post
    is there any way u could bring it back but have it locked? some interesting stuff on there.
    Not if the account was deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    I mean, they're just reporting facts here. Less educated Republicans tend to vote for Trump while their more educated base is splitting the vote among other people. Fivethirtyeight isn't exactly a rag.
    But why does that even matter? A dumb person's vote is the same as a smart person's vote. Are they trying to make Trump appear less attractive because if you vote for him, weak minded dinkfarts like Jim will think you're unintelligent?

It's just a non story to me and there's an obvious agenda behind it. Just because a site has a good rep doesn't mean they get a free ride. People should make up their minds on who to vote for based on things other than what is popular to do.
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    But why does that even matter? A dumb person's vote is the same as a smart person's vote. Are they trying to make Trump appear less attractive because if you vote for him, weak minded dinkfarts like Jim will think you're unintelligent?

It's just a non story to me and there's an obvious agenda behind it. Just because a site has a good rep doesn't mean they get a free ride. People should make up their minds on who to vote for based on things other than what is popular to do.
    It's noteworthy because the numbers are striking. At the time they had him polling at 30% with 19% support from people with degrees and 37% support from people with no degrees. That's extremely interesting and definitely newsworthy. He's feasting on the poorly-educated vote, and you can tell that's the plan when you listen to him speak.

Thanks
    It's noteworthy because the numbers are striking. At the time they had him polling at 30% with 19% support from people with degrees and 37% support from people with no degrees. That's extremely interesting and definitely newsworthy. He's feasting on the poorly-educated vote, and you can tell that's the plan when you listen to him speak.
    And Bernie Sanders is doing what exactly when he promises free education, heavy taxes on the wealthy and free health care?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I think it's a pretty sad time for American politics when the choice is between a documented criminal and a loud egomaniac who has no political experience (though, let's be fair in saying that every politician is an egomaniac).

I'm not all on the Trump train or anything, but be honest: who will be worse for the US, Clinton or Trump? You're lying if you say one is clearly better than the other.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    Jim, it really sounds like you've been indoctrinated at some point in your life. I thought you were an older man but you sound like a recent graduate from a York social studies program. Basically your political stance can be summarized as any statement or event that is considered remotely right-wing or conservative, you are passionately against. And you've demonstrated that your love for the underdog is not born out of compassion for your fellow man, given the comments you had for Rob Ford shortly after he passed. I don't know what to think of you, but you're making it very hard on yourself to be taken seriously.
    And you think I actually give a fuck?

Thanks
    And Bernie Sanders is doing what exactly when he promises free education, heavy taxes on the wealthy and free health care?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I think it's a pretty sad time for American politics when the choice is between a documented criminal and a loud egomaniac who has no political experience (though, let's be fair in saying that every politician is an egomaniac).

I'm not all on the Trump train or anything, but be honest: who will be worse for the US, Clinton or Trump? You're lying if you say one is clearly better than the other.
    I think Clinton would pretty safely be an extension of the Obama presidency. I don't like her, but I believe that she's a savvy politician that won't really rock the boat. Trump, I see as someone who is completely unqualified for the position. You look at the things that he's done and said, and the idea of this guy becoming POTUS is just completely absurd.

Off the top of my head:

- threatened military action against Mexico if they don't fund a multi-billion dollar border wall
    - has stated that he would strongly consider closing mosques in America
    - has stated that the only way to defeat ISIS is for America to not only target and kill terrorists, but also their families
    - has encouraged violence against protesters at his rallies
    - dismissed Elizabeth Warren's criticism of him with "Who? The Indian?" implying that her being part Native invalidates her opinions.
    - has promised to return Syrian refugees
    - has promised to deport illegal Mexicans
    - wants to reinstate torture

He's a tactless blustering fool, and the traction he has is an absolute embarrassment.

Regarding Bernie Sanders, I wouldn't have a problem with fivethirtyeight reporting the demographics of his supporters. They're typically young, educated people.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

BigCecil (03-28-2016)

Thanks
    I think an extension of the Obama administration will be disastrous, so that's where we differ. Clinton just changes her stances like she changes shoes depending on what's in style. I don't like Trump, but I think, at this point, doing something different is very necessary.

Thanks
    I think an extension of the Obama administration will be disastrous, so that's where we differ. Clinton just changes her stances like she changes shoes depending on what's in style. I don't like Trump, but I think, at this point, doing something different is very necessary.
    In what ways?

All Star
    Thanks
    "This very expensive GLOBAL WARMING bullshit has got to stop. Our planet is freezing, record low temps,and our GW scientists are stuck in ice," Trump tweeted early last year, referencing a crew of researchers whose ship had recently been trapped in Antarctic ice.

"I have a great relationship with the blacks."

"Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day."

"I think the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I'm more honest and my women are more beautiful."

Thanks
    In what ways?
    Cultural suicide. Will propagate this PC culture that is completely hostile to conservatives. Soon, it will become completely unacceptable to not hold far left views.

You think that's hyperbole, but in Europe, people are being punished for having rational discussions about the refugee crisis over Facebook. I fear a very Orwellian Western culture in the next few years and it's precisely due to people like Hillary Clinton who work to keep the populace dumb and ignorant. I can see a point where people like Sam Harris, Ben Shapiro, Tarek Fatah, etc. are laughed away as fringe conspiracy theorists at an Alex Jonesian level.

Maybe I overestimate how shitty things will be, but I can honestly see things going there pretty soon.