• CIN
    PIT
    Preview
    12:35 PM ET
  • TOR
    LAA
    Preview
    12:37 PM ET
  • CWS
    BAL
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • OAK
    SEA
    Preview
    3:35 PM ET
  • CLE
    HOU
    Preview
    6:10 PM ET
  • TB
    BOS
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • TEX
    KC
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • MIL
    NYM
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
Page 999 of 1106 FirstFirst ... 49989994998999799899910001001100910491099 ... LastLast
Results 15,969 to 15,984 of 17687

Thread: Politics Thread

  1. #15969
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    All rational people understand that Boxcar's world is not unlike an episode of The Honeymooners.

  2. #15970
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,924
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 477 Times in 362 Posts
    I'm pulling my endorsement of Franklin. My thinking was he ditched his bit to start partaking in actual discussions and not just spam troll but obviously I haven't been paying attention.

    In better news, Disney the latest to give $125m out in employee bonuses because of tax plan. Slowly people will start seeing through the horseshit that Jim and Frank were shoveling

  3. #15971
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,188
    Thanks
    2,375
    Thanked 8,804 Times in 5,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Can someone make me a mod for like 10 minutes? Iíll only ban Franklin, Boxy, Connorp, and Terminator.
    I'm only doing this because org started bitching. Then I discovered that just knowing I was pissing people off silently was reward enough, so I kept going. Was fun to pass time while I was in line to buy groceries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

  4. #15972
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    I'm pulling my endorsement of Franklin. My thinking was he ditched his bit to start partaking in actual discussions and not just spam troll but obviously I haven't been paying attention.

    In better news, Disney the latest to give $125m out in employee bonuses because of tax plan. Slowly people will start seeing through the horseshit that Jim and Frank were shoveling
    They could have afforded to do that under the old tax plan. Seriously, why do you hate America so much?

  5. #15973
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I'm only doing this because org started bitching. Then I discovered that just knowing I was pissing people off silently was reward enough, so I kept going. Was fun to pass time while I was in line to buy groceries.
    All rational people understand that you probably hit women.

  6. #15974
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,111
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    I'm pulling my endorsement of Franklin. My thinking was he ditched his bit to start partaking in actual discussions and not just spam troll but obviously I haven't been paying attention.

    In better news, Disney the latest to give $125m out in employee bonuses because of tax plan. Slowly people will start seeing through the horseshit that Jim and Frank were shoveling
    Disney has 180,000 employees in the USA. That will work out to about $700 each before taxes. Worth the $500-700 Billion in additional debt each year? The tax cuts are fiscally reckless.

    https://www.statisticbrain.com/u-s-largest-employers/
    Last edited by Jimcanuck; 01-24-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

  7. #15975
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,835
    Thanks
    3,984
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Disney has 180,000 employees in the USA. That will work out to about $700 each before taxes. Worth the $500-700 Billion in additional debt each year? The tax cuts are fiscally reckless.

    https://www.statisticbrain.com/u-s-largest-employers/
    Interesting that the tax cuts are permanent but all of these generous giveaways are one time bonuses and not salary increases.
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

  8. #15976
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,305
    Thanks
    2,521
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Disney has 180,000 employees in the USA. That will work out to about $700 each before taxes. Worth the $500-700 Billion in additional debt each year? The tax cuts are fiscally reckless.

    https://www.statisticbrain.com/u-s-largest-employers/
    Why do you want to keep Disney employees' wages low Jim?

  9. #15977
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,305
    Thanks
    2,521
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Interesting that the tax cuts are permanent but all of these generous giveaways are one time bonuses and not salary increases.
    Starbucks, JP Morgan and Walmart have all increased their minimum wage. I'm sure there are others. But the average family is getting close to 2 grand. If they each get bonuses on top of it that's a nice chunk of change. The tax plan hasn't even officially taken effect yet so hopefully when that does wages will rise even more.

  10. #15978
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,835
    Thanks
    3,984
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Starbucks, JP Morgan and Walmart have all increased their minimum wage. I'm sure there are others. But the average family is getting close to 2 grand. If they each get bonuses on top of it that's a nice chunk of change. The tax plan hasn't even officially taken effect yet so hopefully when that does wages will rise even more.
    So you’re a big believer in trickle down economics, and that the biggest reason for the increasing wealth inequality was that companies weren’t making quite enough money?
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

  11. #15979
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    All rational people understand that the overall quality of life in the United States is among the lowest in advanced nations. People like Connorp and Terminator regularly jerk off to thoughts of Republican tax plans, and "free market" healthcare, but refuse to atone for the objective fact that the overall quality of life is exponentially superior in so-called high tax nations like Canada, most of Europe, Australia, etc.

  12. #15980
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,994
    Thanks
    2,578
    Thanked 7,138 Times in 4,486 Posts
    Knock it off.

  13. #15981
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 906 Posts
    Unlike most of my fellow right-wingers, I am not in favour of corporate tax cuts. Why? Because it's a race to zero. There are short term benefits but now Canada and other jurisdictions will feel pressure to cut the corporate rate too. And when they do, the U.S. will follow suit. You can't just keep on doing this forever. You have to offer corporations something other than tax cuts as an incentive to stay and do business.

    I worked in corporate finance for years. Tax rate is always one of the LAST considerations when deciding to go forward with an investment. Does a lower tax rate help? Yes, for some borderline projects. But if you really want to spur investment, reducing regulations would go a lot further than reducing the corporate tax rate.

    Corporations should be taxed. As a corporation you are hiring healthy and capable employees to create and sell products or services, for profit, to other healthy and capable people in our society. Those people are healthy and capable because of our publicly funded education and health care system. A corporation should be paying its fair share to support that.

    As far as personal taxes, particularly income tax, I am in strong favour of its reduction, all the way up to the richest billionaire who will already have the tax man's hand in his pocket through corporate tax. The basic personal exemption should be at least $100,000 where anyone earning less than that doesn't pay a penny in income tax. And above that the rate should be reduced as much as possible while still supporting a balanced budget.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

    BTS (01-24-2018),SirBJay (01-24-2018)

  15. #15982
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,305
    Thanks
    2,521
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    So you’re a big believer in trickle down economics, and that the biggest reason for the increasing wealth inequality was that companies weren’t making quite enough money?
    Wat

    I just pointed out that some companies have in fact increased wages and expressed hope that it would continue.

  16. #15983
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,835
    Thanks
    3,984
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Wat

    I just pointed out that some companies have in fact increased wages and expressed hope that it would continue.
    I just find it gross to point to Wal-Mart's $1 wage increase for their lowest paid employees as justification for billions of dollars of corporate tax cuts, and I see people doing it everywhere. We're talking about a company that claims tens of billions of dollars a year in profit. I'm completely opposed to the idea that they should be given tax incentives to hand their employees a few more shekels (the cost of which will certainly represent a small fraction of the additional money they now get to keep in lieu of paying in taxes).

    It's great that they're doing it (and I believe they did the same thing in 2016, pre-tax cut), but they didn't need tax breaks to be able to afford this.
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

  17. #15984
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,305
    Thanks
    2,521
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    Unlike most of my fellow right-wingers, I am not in favour of corporate tax cuts. Why? Because it's a race to zero. There are short term benefits but now Canada and other jurisdictions will feel pressure to cut the corporate rate too. And when they do, the U.S. will follow suit. You can't just keep on doing this forever. You have to offer corporations something other than tax cuts as an incentive to stay and do business.

    I worked in corporate finance for years. Tax rate is always one of the LAST considerations when deciding to go forward with an investment. Does a lower tax rate help? Yes, for some borderline projects. But if you really want to spur investment, reducing regulations would go a lot further than reducing the corporate tax rate.

    Corporations should be taxed. As a corporation you are hiring healthy and capable employees to create and sell products or services, for profit, to other healthy and capable people in our society. Those people are healthy and capable because of our publicly funded education and health care system. A corporation should be paying its fair share to support that.

    As far as personal taxes, particularly income tax, I am in strong favour of its reduction, all the way up to the richest billionaire who will already have the tax man's hand in his pocket through corporate tax. The basic personal exemption should be at least $100,000 where anyone earning less than that doesn't pay a penny in income tax. And above that the rate should be reduced as much as possible while still supporting a balanced budget.
    Keeping corporate tax rates high while cutting them for billionaires is simply six of one half dozen of the other, right? Actually it's not, Trump's tax cut most helps small business owners with pass through income (like LLC's and S-Corps). Those are usually small businesses who now get a 20% write off up front. The big corporate cut was also done but most of the giant companies do enough to write shit off that they weren't paying 35% rate anyway.

    And how would a lower tax rate, if it's saving a company millions, only help on borderline projects? The bottomline is the bottomline, is it not?

    Last part- Trump is cutting regulations quite a bit. 16 for every new one added so far.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •