Page 986 of 995 FirstFirst ... 486886936976984985986987988 ... LastLast
Results 15,761 to 15,776 of 15913

Thread: Politics Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 6,857 Times in 4,309 Posts
    Lots of places are shitholes and we've all said that... but we aren't POTUS. POTUS is supposed to exercise some level of decorum, especially in situations where his comments aren't going to be off the record.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,732 Times in 2,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    I know about this first hand as my wife is from Ukraine and when I first told people about it they thought she probably lived in a village and stood in line for bread. In reality she lived in city not unlike major US city. Someone painting Africa with that broad brush is not uncommon. Norway you might think of people living in villages but not poverty. Nor would anyone think Canada is a shithole but it's still looked down on other ways of course
    Really no different from people in the US thinking everyone in Canada lives in igloos.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Really no different from people in the US thinking everyone in Canada lives in igloos.
    Common theme here is American ignorance of other cultures. Not exactly news.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Lots of places are shitholes and we've all said that... but we aren't POTUS. POTUS is supposed to exercise some level of decorum, especially in situations where his comments aren't going to be off the record.
    Yeah sometimes the "every man" leash gets a little too long

Thanks
    I don't think this is racism so much as a moment of utter senility. The demented old bastard forgot who he was talking to and just blurted out his inner thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Common theme here is American ignorance of other cultures. Not exactly news.
    That's xenophobic.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    That's xenophobic.
    How's that?

Thanks
    How's that?
    You peddled the "Americans are ignorant" trope which is a negative stereotype about people from a country other than your own. Not much different than an American who thinks Canadians live in igloos which is what spurred you to say it to begin with.

Thanks
    You peddled the "Americans are ignorant" trope which is a negative stereotype about people from a country other than your own. Not much different than an American who thinks Canadians live in igloos which is what spurred you to say it to begin with.
    It's not a trope, it's a widely understood international phenomena that I've discussed with citizens of many other countries, mostly European, all of whom independently came to the same conclusions based on their own personal interactions with Americans visiting their countries. I'm not afraid of or biased against Americans, so it in no way meets the criteria of xenophobia. Just a very basic fact; a large proportion of Americans are poorly educated about foreign cultures, and to a much more pervasive degree than the citizens of other Western nations. Next you'll tell me that American Exceptionalism and Manifest Destiny are myths, right? Americans are actually by and large *proud* of their ignorance, it's been American culture since the 19th century to presume that other cultures are inferior and irrelevant.

Thanks
    It's not a trope, it's a widely understood international phenomena that I've discussed with citizens of many other countries, mostly European, all of whom independently came to the same conclusions based on their own personal interactions. I'm not afraid of or biased against Americans, so it in no way meets the criteria of xenophobia. Just a very basic fact; a large proportion of Americans are poorly educated about foreign cultures, and to a much more pervasive degree than the citizens of other Western nations.
    I kid, I don't personally care. I was just trying to prove a point in that you are upset about negative generalizations (whether they are true like Haiti being a shithole) or not (Canadians live in igloos) but then used one to describe Americans.

All Star
    Thanks
    I don't think this is racism so much as a moment of utter senility. The demented old bastard forgot who he was talking to and just blurted out his inner thoughts.
    Not sure it's a moment. Not sure Trump ever treats the situation different than when he was in a boardroom but that's just the impression I get. I think Trump's ego assumes that's what got him where he is and doesn't see the need to change.

That'd be my guess.

Thanks
    I kid, I don't personally care. I was just trying to prove a point in that you are upset about negative generalizations (whether they are true like Haiti being a shithole) or not (Canadians live in igloos) but then used one to describe Americans.
    Except it's only ignorant Americans who think Canadians live in igloos, not the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the rest of the world generalizes Americans widely as ignorant. So your analogy breaks down quickly.

All Star
    Thanks
    It should be noted that I don't think anyone literally thinks Canadians live in igloos but it's methaphorical for being backcountry, not cool, and sucking in general

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    It should be noted that I don't think anyone literally thinks Canadians live in igloos but it's methaphorical for being backcountry, not cool, and sucking in general
    I'm not one of the Canadians with an inferiority complex so I really couldn't care any less. I'm very objective about the good parts of our country and the shitty parts and I've traveled the world enough to know the difference. The Americans who actually think that have probably never even left their generic shithole midwest states.

Thanks
    Except it's only ignorant Americans who think Canadians live in igloos, not the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the rest of the world generalizes Americans widely as ignorant. So your analogy breaks down quickly.
    Wat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 836 Posts
    I'm honestly shocked at the reaction of this. I might be the second most offended person here about this Africa comment behind Jim lol. Saying that Africa is a shithole would never come to my mind. Maybe when I was young and stupid but once someone has enough experience in the world they would know to not say or think such a thing, no matter how old and senile they get. Unless they have racist feelings towards blacks.