Results 8,417 to 8,432 of 10812

Thread: Politics Thread

Thanks
    I thought that this article was quite interesting:

Trump voters explain themselves

Thanks
    Thanked 7,046 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intentional wok View Post
    I honestly just can't stand the way he blocks me from making my first pick in the LoD draft.

But in seriousness, I think he's a pandering opportunist who pays his bills by providing infotainment to people who want to be outraged. Oh, did someone say something stupid somewhere? Time to devote 30 minutes to it. It wouldn't be a big deal, really, but considering how much I see him quoted and posted as if he has an opinion that must be heard, it seems people take him really seriously. He acts like some deep thinker (look at his fucking username) but his absurd anti-Clinton videos made me embarrassed for him. Everyone here knows Milo at this point, so I see Milo as a worthless shit disturber who says outrageous things for attention. Sargon is Milo without any of the flamboyant humour and says the same outrageous things but with actual urgency and straight faced seriousness. He's like a reverse parody, like if someone saw Borat or Bruno and then legitimately tried to live out his life like that.
    I think this is a pretty unfair synopsis, but to each their own.

I'm now curious to see who Wok actually finds interesting and insightful because it seems like he just shits on everyone. You should be a pro critic, your words are quite scathing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    STD is on fire tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 900 Posts
    I'd have to agree with Boxy the synopsis is unfair. Especially with the 'acts like he's a deep thinker' comment. The guy is a YouTuber. He started like most do, with no following, just trying to get his thoughts out there. Its not like he could have predicted that this would be a job for him (its not like he makes bank on this I wouldn't think). His user name is as such because he is ACTUALLY interested in history (especially this period). He has a whole second channel dedicated to this sort of stuff. Other than that, I think its an odd critic trying to 'act like a deep thinker'. Its not some crime to try and approach issues in an intelligent manner. Should he be trying to dumb it down as he evolves as a content creator? His epic shitposting should be evidence enough that he doesn't feel like he's in some ivory tower.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    I'd have to agree with Boxy the synopsis is unfair. Especially with the 'acts like he's a deep thinker' comment. The guy is a YouTuber. He started like most do, with no following, just trying to get his thoughts out there. Its not like he could have predicted that this would be a job for him (its not like he makes bank on this I wouldn't think). His user name is as such because he is ACTUALLY interested in history (especially this period). He has a whole second channel dedicated to this sort of stuff. Other than that, I think its an odd critic trying to 'act like a deep thinker'. Its not some crime to try and approach issues in an intelligent manner. Should he be trying to dumb it down as he evolves as a content creator? His epic shitposting should be evidence enough that he doesn't feel like he's in some ivory tower.
    Yeah, pretty weak criticism of Sargon. I mean, he's not trying to be Sam Harris. He swears a bunch in his videos, doesn't show his face, and goes after some pretty easy targets. But, his goal is two-fold. Make some money, and rant about things that piss him off, and he's accomplishing both. And for the record, he is probably doing OK. A friend of mine was able to quit her job and do YouTube videos fulltime, and she only had 50,000 subscribers. Sargon has ten times that amount.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,258 Times in 6,751 Posts
    Anybody listen to Sam Harris' conversation with Garry Kasparov? It was pretty interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    Yeah, pretty weak criticism of Sargon. I mean, he's not trying to be Sam Harris. He swears a bunch in his videos, doesn't show his face, and goes after some pretty easy targets. But, his goal is two-fold. Make some money, and rant about things that piss him off, and he's accomplishing both. And for the record, he is probably doing OK. A friend of mine was able to quit her job and do YouTube videos fulltime, and she only had 50,000 subscribers. Sargon has ten times that amount.
    Well I mean, you've got to make end's meet so I don't blame him for doing it in his bedroom with a webcam and some editing software. I don't begrudge him trying to be a deep thinker or for trying to get some dialogue out there -- it's that I don't think he's particularly deep. I only mentioned him with regards to Jordan Peterson when Dick Pole brought him up, with Peterson being (obviously) intelligent but slightly... nuts? and Sargon simply being a(n uncommonly) articulate internet personality but still not someone I think is all that sharp and who is mostly just another cog in the overblown anti-PC backlash industry.

Boxy's right in that I was probably meaner than I needed to be. Not that I don't think Sargon deserve it, but more that I don't want to be known the nasty guy who shits on everything without ever being complimentary about good things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 629 Posts
    Whats your issue with Sargon? (as a total diversion). I don't agree with everything he says, but I find him pretty enjoyable to listen to.
    I just brought him up as an example...an easy target. Then it turned into a whole page discussion. I really don't care about him one way or the other.

All Star
    Thanks
    A report released Friday by the US intelligence community found that Russia tried to influence the outcome of the election by boosting President-elect Donald Trump and harming Hillary Clinton.

"We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia's goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump," the report said.

"Russian efforts to influence the 2016 US presidential election represent the most recent expression of Moscow's longstanding desire to undermine the US-led liberal democratic order, but these activities demonstrated a significant escalation in directness, level of activity, and scope of effort compared to previous operations," the report continued.

The report said Moscow used a variety of tactics in a bid to sway the outcome.

"Moscow's influence campaign followed a Russian messaging strategy that blends covert intelligence operations -- such as cyberactivity -- with overt efforts by Russian Government agencies, state-funded media, third-party intermediaries, and paid social media users or 'trolls,'" the report found.

The intelligence report said it had "high confidence" in the findings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    A report released Friday by the US intelligence community found that Russia tried to influence the outcome of the election by boosting President-elect Donald Trump and harming Hillary Clinton.

"We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia's goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump," the report said.

"Russian efforts to influence the 2016 US presidential election represent the most recent expression of Moscow's longstanding desire to undermine the US-led liberal democratic order, but these activities demonstrated a significant escalation in directness, level of activity, and scope of effort compared to previous operations," the report continued.

The report said Moscow used a variety of tactics in a bid to sway the outcome.

"Moscow's influence campaign followed a Russian messaging strategy that blends covert intelligence operations -- such as cyberactivity -- with overt efforts by Russian Government agencies, state-funded media, third-party intermediaries, and paid social media users or 'trolls,'" the report found.

The intelligence report said it had "high confidence" in the findings.
    And if Hillary Clinton wasn't such a detestable sack of crap who was also trying to bait the Russians into a war over Syria, the Russians wouldn't have had any motive or fodder to try to rig the election against her. When are we going to have an inquiry about the leaked 12 year old "grab her in the pussy" Trump video? Are the people responsible for that not also guilty of rigging an election in an "act of war"?

Give it up Jim....you fucking Clinton supporters are the worst. Blame everybody else for the loss except the woman responsible for her own demise through her past shady history and general unlikability. You don't even live in the United States.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

jaysblue (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,804 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    And if Hillary Clinton wasn't such a detestable sack of crap who was also trying to bait the Russians into a war over Syria, the Russians wouldn't have had any motive or fodder to try to rig the election against her. When are we going to have an inquiry about the leaked 12 year old "grab her in the pussy" Trump video? Are the people responsible for that not also guilty of rigging an election in an "act of war"?

Give it up Jim....you fucking Clinton supporters are the worst. Blame everybody else for the loss except the woman responsible for her own demise through her past shady history and general unlikability. You don't even live in the United States.

Ya, pfff....this happens every election that a forgein superpower with aggressive interests counter to the United States actively conspires to change the outcome of their election. According to BJMB sources, HRC tried to bait Syria into going to war over Syria. Apparently because the hacking was out of spite over this US Syrian position the election interference is justified. The efforts by the Russians had nothing to do with the election outcome.

This intelligence is just sour grapes excuses for loser HRC supporters. Nothing to see here folks. Pass the joint.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigCecil For This Useful Post:

jaysblue (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    Ya, pfff....this happens every election that a forgein superpower with aggressive interests counter to the United States actively conspires to change the outcome of their election. According to BJMB sources, HRC tried to bait Syria into going to war over Syria. Apparently because the hacking was out of spite over this US Syrian position the election interference is justified. The efforts by the Russians had nothing to do with the election outcome.

This intelligence is just sour grapes excuses for loser HRC supporters. Nothing to see here folks. Pass the joint.
    I, for one, am appalled that Russia had the audacity to let the American public and world at large know just how much of an irredeemable crook HRC is. That shit just does not belong in the public sphere imo.
    STD is on fire tonight.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Dick_Pole (01-06-2017),jaysblue (01-06-2017),Terminator (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post

The internet has only reliably been around for about 20 years or 4-5 election cycles. So if this is the new world we live in, then it's the new world we live in. Oh, and what happened to the idea that the DNC, Podesta, Clinton et al should be smart enough to surround themselves with tech-savvy people to ensure stuff like this doesn't happen? Those baaaaad Russians...150 million of them and a handful of them decided to attack the DNC and succeeded. How can we live in a world where we can't even trust those Russians, all 150 million of them to be on their best behaviour while we leave the keys to the front door in the mailbox?

It may be "BJMB sources", but I don't it's a leap to suggest that Clinton was going to be very aggressive with Russia based on her past history, rhetoric and love for watching foreign leaders she doesn't like die.

I also find it funny that there's an assumption that just because Russia did something that it is counter to U.S. (citizen) interests and it is bad for all of us. We should all be thanking the Russians that they helped uncover some dirt that helped to shed some light on Clinton. We all know the media was trying their best to uncover every bit of dirt on Trump (which I think has more to do with a ratings ploy than bias against him) so it was good there was someone else out there to even out the playing field a bit.

But in the end...it was Russia's fault that the U.S. election came down to an inexperienced, thin-skinned narcissist and an experienced war-mongering narcissist. Yes, totally Russia's fault that this happened. Those brilliant war strategists making their long-time Cold War rival weak by forcing the U.S. electorate to choose between two of the worst people I've seen run for President in my lifetime.

Thanks
    I don't even trust the US' implication of Putin. Seems like an easy scapegoat for their hilarious failure.
    STD is on fire tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 932 Posts
    Obama's Russian policy through the years:

2008: Sends them an actual "Reset Button" to announce that he wants to be friendly.
    2011: Obama works out nuke deal with his new buddy Russia.
    2012: Tells the Russians he'll have more flexibility after the election.
    2012: Obama admonishes Romney in the debate after Romney criticizes his soft Russian stance. "The 1980's called, they want their foreign policy back." Liberals find it hilarious.
    2014: Russia invades Crimea, Obama does nothing.
    2014: Putin shoots down an airliner, Obama does nothing.
    2016: John Podesta falls for a phishing scam, RESTART THE COLD WAR.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I don't even trust the US' implication of Putin. Seems like an easy scapegoat for their hilarious failure.
    For all the fear-mongering and scapegoating of Putin and Russia that the entire West does, this is a country that has positive diplomatic relationships with Iran and Israel at the same time. This is a hell of a lot more than what the U.S. can say about its influence in that part of the world.

But oh no, Russia had interest in taking a small part of the Ukraine, a piece that is hardly uncontested as to which country is better to administer it and which is the preferred country of administration for the local population. All in a region of Eastern Europe which is completely unrecognizable compared to pre-WWI maps. Those evil bastards.

Thanks
    ...in a completely unrelated matter....when is Puerto Rico going to become its own State so that its citizens have the right to vote for the President and get representation in Congress?

Pot, meet kettle.