• SD
    COL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SEA
    TEX
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 744 of 874 FirstFirst ... 244644694734742743744745746754794844 ... LastLast
Results 11,889 to 11,904 of 13971

Thread: Politics Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    Welfare isn't meant to provide a middle-class lifestyle. It's over-funded as-is and hopefully the restrictions are made tougher in coming years
    While it's true that welfare isn't meant to provide a middle-class income, the idea that it's overfunded is ludicrous. Last I heard, it pays about $600 a month, but there are ways to get some free counselling and dental care. Try paying rent, buying food, and everything else on six hundred a month, and then come back and tell us how much it's overfunded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamGreenwood For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-14-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    While it's true that welfare isn't meant to provide a middle-class income, the idea that it's overfunded is ludicrous. Last I heard, it pays about $600 a month, but there are ways to get some free counselling and dental care. Try paying rent, buying food, and everything else on six hundred a month, and then come back and tell us how much it's overfunded.
    I'm not sure you grasp how welfare here works. Like you get a $600 check and they say see you later. Programs like Section 8 pay 80% of people's rent and then there's food stamps, utility subsidies, free healthcare, and so on,

By overfunded I meant too many people rely on it. I believe in unemployment and receiving aid in tough times as everyone has been there at some point, (including myself) but I don't respect people that abuse the system.

Thanks
    Some fascinating theories ITT.

Issues I see with a universal basic income is how do you prevent inflation and employers reducing wages, and therefore the rich/poor divide staying the same? If it's means tested it wouldn't help the same problem as now with the minority of benefit claimants who wouldn't want to lose the cash by getting a job. If everyone gets it, that is an enormous waste of money.

In relation to the lack of jobs in the future: by the time true AI has been invented and more than repeatable manual labour tasks can be completed by machines, fossil fuels will have run out and a new energy source will have to be invented.

You've also got to take into account that roughly 75% of the world’s poor live in the rural areas of developing countries and depend primarily on subsistence agriculture. I don't see any realistic way humanity can prevent a rich/poor divide, outside of designed off world colonies that may not happen for centuries.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,705 Times in 4,805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Some fascinating theories ITT.

Issues I see with a universal basic income is how do you prevent inflation and employers reducing wages, and therefore the rich/poor divide staying the same? If it's means tested it wouldn't help the same problem as now with the minority of benefit claimants who wouldn't want to lose the cash by getting a job. If everyone gets it, that is an enormous waste of money.

In relation to the lack of jobs in the future: by the time true AI has been invented and more than repeatable manual labour tasks can be completed by machines, fossil fuels will have run out and a new energy source will have to be invented.

You've also got to take into account that roughly 75% of the world’s poor live in the rural areas of developing countries and depend primarily on subsistence agriculture. I don't see any realistic way humanity can prevent a rich/poor divide, outside of designed off world colonies that may not happen for centuries.
    When true AI is invented, we are basically all dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Better keep the handheld EMP I'm patenting on you at all times when that day comes!
    I don’t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks
    Haha, true!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Yeah this is really the most pressing and likely risk. The class divide will be unimaginable.

There will probably be revolutions, new constitutions, wholly novel state structures.
    At this point in history the wealthy still need most of us here to sustain society but once they have robots and machines that can do everything there is no need for more than a small work force.

If you look at some of the really absurd conspiracy theories I see some truths about our future. Have you seen the stone monument saying they don't need more than 500M people and that would be perfect for planet resources and steady chain of consumables?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Thanks
    Thanked 12,157 Times in 7,279 Posts
    Multiple media outlets reporting that Trump released classified information to the Russians.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Multiple media outlets reporting that Trump released classified information to the Russians.
    At this point I wouldn't mind if he got impeached so you ppl would stfu. Honestly.

Thats the lib way. Just make enough noise and throw tantrum so ppl just cut ties with the controversy.

Thanks
    At this point I wouldn't mind if he got impeached so you ppl would stfu. Honestly.

Thats the lib way. Just make enough noise and throw tantrum so ppl just cut ties with the controversy.
    It's sad that you think people aren't the same on both sides.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Abomination (05-15-2017),Gen.Disarray (05-17-2017),Spanky99 (05-16-2017),vdubmvp (05-15-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    It's sad that you think people aren't the same on both sides.
    I don't get the "agree with me or I'll destroy you" vibe from one side like I do the other. You're correct

Thanks
    I don't get the "agree with me or I'll destroy you" vibe from one side like I do the other. You're correct
    You've never seen a President wage war on the media and intelligence community like this either though. I don't think liberal partisanship is the motivation for the intelligence community turning on him.

Thanks
    That sounds 100% legit. Stoke those Russia fires boys! CNN is the new HuffPo.
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Speaking of, the middle Eastern shill is back in business boys, because democracy sucks when you don't win.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/politi...her/index.html

Thanks
    That sounds 100% legit. Stoke those Russia fires boys! CNN is the new HuffPo.
    It was WAPO, the Watergate exposers.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 4,763 Posts
    Speaking of, the middle Eastern shill is back in business boys, because democracy sucks when you don't win.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/politi...her/index.html
    Unless we're talking about Bill's advances, has Hillary ever actually been part of a "resistance" in her life?

I'll be annoyed if she doesn't just slowly drift to irrelevance.
    Last edited by NJH; 05-15-2017 at 09:17 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

John_Havok (05-15-2017),Spanky99 (05-16-2017)