• TEX 1
    KC 8
    In Progress
    Bottom 8th
  • MIL 0
    NYM 5
    In Progress
    Top 8th
Page 1018 of 1106 FirstFirst ... 1851891896810081016101710181019102010281068 ... LastLast
Results 16,273 to 16,288 of 17687

Thread: Politics Thread

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    Dickey has been a 1.6 win pitcher or better for all but 1 of the last 8 seasons. It wouldn't be that hot of a take to call 2 wins for him. Certainly not on a 'only a moron would say' level.
    This basic level of assessment which you base your conclusion just proves to me you don't know much about statistical analysis.
    There are no atheists in foxholes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I think the argument stemmed from Statman thinking it was absurd to look more at RA-9 than fWAR for a knuckleballer because his ERA will tend to outperform his FIP.
    Hunh. Turns out Statman was going for an ironic approach with the username.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    I'd like to know if Statman would be ok with a native killer of a white person being acquitted by an all-native jury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,827 Times in 8,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    I'd like to know if Statman would be ok with a native killer of a white person being acquitted by an all-native jury.
    I don't know much about this, and I'm probably opening up a huge can of worms, but are we really saying we think a jury acquitted this guy out of solidarity with their fellow white man? That seems really far-fetched to me.
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

Thanks
    Thanked 13,827 Times in 8,196 Posts
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-saskatchewan

Reading about this now, and:

In Canada, the use of a firearm is not permitted in order to defend private property. Even in self-defence – which Stanley did not claim – the use of lethal force is rarely permitted under the law
    I actually did not know this. That's insane.
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    I don't know much about this, and I'm probably opening up a huge can of worms, but are we really saying we think a jury acquitted this guy out of solidarity with their fellow white man? That seems really far-fetched to me.
    That's not what I am saying. The acquittal verdict of an all white jury, non-representative of the community, of a white man who killed a native, leads to a question of a fair result. Perhaps a jury representative of the community reaches the same decision, we never will know this. In this case, with that jury, in that community, the question is particularly loud, as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,487 Posts
    That's not what I am saying. The acquittal verdict of an all white jury, non-representative of the community, of a white man who killed a native, leads to a question of a fair result. Perhaps a jury representative of the community reaches the same decision, we never will know this. In this case, with that jury, in that community, the question is particularly loud, as it should be.
    Maybe people need to stop looking at skin colour as being a factor of being someone's peer.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Abomination (02-14-2018),BTS (02-14-2018),L54 (02-14-2018),Maahfaace (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Lol and there goes Jim, spouting off about something he doesn't understand again. Let me guess, you read a couple of headlines?
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,806 Times in 5,438 Posts
    Does it surprise you to discover that this is how Jim's brain works?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

L54 (02-14-2018),Maahfaace (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,806 Times in 5,438 Posts
    Oh yeah, you're definitely not the bizarro version of Statman or anything.

Just amazing. I'll never understand how one gets so much vitriol while the other one posts his conspiracy theories, hyperbole and sometimes flat out lies with impunity. In case you're confused Jim, you're a race baiting idiot who seems wholly incapable of understanding how juries work. Us white people just love unjustly setting other white people free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,094 Posts
    What a disgrace to journalism that was. Fake News at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    According to the prosecution, the group pulled into the farm after a flat tyre. The defence argued that they arrived with the intention of stealing an all-terrain vehicle.
    No mention of how drunk they were, the farm they "visited" before arriving at Stanley's, or the loaded .22 they had sitting in the front seat. But, facts don't matter.

After an altercation involving Stanley, his wife and son and Boushie, the farmer approached the vehicle and fired a pistol three times, the court heard. The last bullet struck Boushie in the head – an event Stanley later called a “freak accident”.
    Funny how you can manipulate a story, without actually telling a lie. I guess that constitutes "journalism" today.

Yes Stanley fired shots. In the air. Gerald Stanley did not shoot at the van. Gerald Stanley could not recall if he had two rounds of three in the chamber. The third shot fired while Stanley was attempting to shut off the van, and the defence claims was the result of hang fire- a delay between pulling the trigger and firing, and there is evidence to support that claim. This is the freak accident they decided to put in quotations as if this was an outlandish claim with no evidence behind it.

Activists say that the not-guilty verdict owed much to the selection of an all-white jury, even though Saskatchewan has a large indigenous population.
    I'm awaiting Jim's response to refute this point.

A key element of Stanley’s defence was that there was a delay, known as “hang fire”, between his pulling of the trigger and the discharge of the weapon.
    Ah there it is, the mention of hang fire. Buried at the bottom of the article.

Expert witnesses for both the prosecution and defence testified that the gun showed no indication of “hang fire” or any other malfunction.
    No, but there was evidence from the ammunition that made the case for hang fire. Clear failure to report the facts in an attempt to mislead their audience.

No, Saskatchewan is not inherently racist as the media wants everyone to believe. A bunch of teens made poor choices, and one sadly ended up paying the ultimate price for all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,822 Times in 6,772 Posts
    Wat we're the best...

Thanks
    Last edited by Spanky99; 02-14-2018 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks
    My doll, finally.

Thanks
    hmm... that's weird.

Blue Chip Prospect Rusty_Savage's Avatar
    Thanks
    A good tip not to get shot: don't go driving into other people's property drunk with loaded weapons, no matter your race

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty_Savage For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (02-14-2018),Spanky99 (02-14-2018)