Page 826 of 911 FirstFirst ... 326726776816824825826827828836876 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,216 of 14574

Thread: Politics Thread

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

A big unknown that isn't represented in the graphic, is the North's missile capacity. While it seems unlikely they'd be able to hit the US, South Korea and possibly Japan are genuine targets. In the event of war, taking out launching sites must be a top priority - hopefully the site locations are already known.
    If Japan and China pact together with the US/South Korea, the combined missile defense systems should be able to handle that region with little damage.

Where it could get really ugly is if a country like Japan or China turns on the US, that's where I can see a scenario where the US uses nukes. Very remote that happens but at the same time countries like China and Japan can't be fully trusted either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statman View Post
    If Japan and China pact together with the US/South Korea, the combined missile defense systems should be able to handle that region with little damage.

Where it could get really ugly is if a country like Japan or China turns on the US, that's where I can see a scenario where the US uses nukes. Very remote that happens but at the same time countries like China and Japan can't be fully trusted either.
    I can understand being wary of China (even though I think that the last thing they want is a conflict - they only don't support North Korean regime change because they don't want a Middle East situation where the whole region is destabilised following the removal of a dictator), but why would you think Japan is untrustworthy?

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    I can understand being wary of China (even though I think that the last thing they want is a conflict - they only don't support North Korean regime change because they don't want a Middle East situation where the whole region is destabilised following the removal of a dictator), but why would you think Japan is untrustworthy?
    Japan/US relations have only gotten really friendly recently under Trump but at the same time Japan still flip flops with regards to North Korea on a week to week basis. China for sure can't be trusted at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statman View Post
    Japan/US relations have only gotten really friendly recently under Trump but at the same time Japan still flip flops with regards to North Korea on a week to week basis.
    Neither of these things are really accurate.

The post war Japan/US relationship was strained in the 90's due to economic factors, but there's been a good overall relationship for years.

Japan hates North Korea and fears their destabilising effect on the region. It's Japan's relationship with South Korea that fluctuates.

Thanks
    I said its debatable who is crazier, Kim or Trump.

Have to remember the rhetoric out of the NK regime (on state media) is primarily for internal consumption. It's not necessarily an indication that Kim is nuts.

Personnally, I think the narcissist Trump will have no trouble launching a war if he thinks it will help his poll numbers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7694316.html

Thanks
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I've been listening to Dan Carlin's latest podcast, on Nuclear tensions basically from WWII through the end of the Cold War.

Extremely fascinating stuff in light of Trump and NK. It's almost 6 hours long, but man it's worth it.

Trump's "fire and fury" rhetoric really doesn't seem all that alarming in light of the entire history of this shit, some of the other stuff that has been said/done, the nature of Nuclear game theory etc.

All he's doing is articulating what everyone already knows. Poke the USA with a Nuke and you'll be blown off the map. Would any past President have done anything different?
    Would any past President have NOT had a Mutually Assured Destruction policy? I think it's pretty standard.

BTW, JFK is a fucking hero.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    I said its debatable who is crazier, Kim or Trump.

Have to remember the rhetoric out of the NK regime (on state media) is primarily for internal consumption. It's not necessarily an indication that Kim is nuts.

Personnally, I think the narcissist Trump will have no trouble launching a war if he thinks it will help his poll numbers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7694316.html
    No, it's not debatable to any rational person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,689 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    No doubt! Banging all that tail with the cocktail of meds he was on? Super fucking impressive.

Thanks
    Interesting that while the world's attention is on NK, Israel has been firing rockets into Gaza.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    JFK did a HORRIFIC job as Commander in Chief with the Bay of Pigs and in the end it lead to his ultimate demise.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    LOL hyper partisan fool
    JFK had spec ops programs of Cuban exiles trained on American soil for a Bay of Pigs invasion. Lee Harvey Oswald helped train these Cubans in this program. The exiles invade Cuba and JFK pulls military support. The exiles are left to slaughter and JFK is to blame.

The conspiracy to assassinate him starts because of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I've been listening to Dan Carlin's latest podcast, on Nuclear tensions basically from WWII through the end of the Cold War.

Extremely fascinating stuff in light of Trump and NK. It's almost 6 hours long, but man it's worth it.

Trump's "fire and fury" rhetoric really doesn't seem all that alarming in light of the entire history of this shit, some of the other stuff that has been said/done, the nature of Nuclear game theory etc.

All he's doing is articulating what everyone already knows. Poke the USA with a Nuke and you'll be blown off the map. Would any past President have done anything different?
    Would any past President have NOT had a Mutually Assured Destruction policy? I think it's pretty standard.

Yeah that seems right. Just off the top of my head I know that Nixon and Clinton both used similar rhetoric.

In light of the podcast, what was said that makes you think JFK was a hero? Don't worry, I'm not going to try and get in to a big debate with you over him or anything just curious.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Yeah that seems right. Just off the top of my head I know that Nixon and Clinton both used similar rhetoric.

In light of the podcast, what was said that makes you think JFK was a hero? Don't worry, I'm not going to try and get in to a big debate with you over him or anything just curious.
    I'm assuming it's either for avoiding nuclear war during the missile crisis, or boning Marilyn Monroe.

Thanks
    So the FBI raided Paul Manafort's home this morning. There's no Russia connection though, I'm sure it was just a speculative raid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    So the FBI raided Paul Manafort's home this morning. There's no Russia connection though, I'm sure it was just a speculative raid.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/u...h-mueller.html

They raided it a couple of weeks ago actually but it looks like the warrant was for his tax and foreign banking records. Looks like the NYT thinks it could lead to criminal charges related to the federal Bank Secrecy Act, which requires Americans to report their foreign banking accounts.

Thanks
    I want him to report where he got that horrible eyejob.