• KC
    MIL
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • STL
    NYM
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 967 of 1101 FirstFirst ... 46786791795796596696796896997710171067 ... LastLast
Results 15,457 to 15,472 of 17609

Thread: Politics Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    I don’t know about you guys but the price of my morning muffin went up 6 cents this week. I’m HEATED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Man this is depressing. Yall are talking 14$ a hour meanwhile a person with a masters earns 4 a hour.

SUCH BRIGHT FUTURE AHEAD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I think that's kind of nonsense. If you're putting in full time hours at a regular job, you should expect to be able to put food on the table and a roof over your head. That doesn't mean you should be able to afford new cars, computers, vacations, etc though. If you want more, then aim higher.

That said, boosting the minimum wage that much, that fast was idiotic, just like other things Wynne has done. It should have been spread out over 4 or 5 years at least.

Food on the table and a roof over your head seems reasonable.
    But does that mean that one person with a minimum wage job should be able to support a spouse and two children in downtown Toronto.

Probably looking at $2000/month rent/utilities + $1000/month food + $1000/month other basics - so $48,000/yr minimum wage?

In addition to being brought in too fast, I think they also need to differentiate it by city to some degree. The prices of rent/parking/etc are pretty different between Toronto and Thunder Bay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamGreenwood For This Useful Post:

jaysblue (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 960 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    Hardly. It's easy to be popular when all your media appearances are friendly, and controlled.
    Once you have to get in front of the cameras with hostile competitors and an aggressive media, the fact that she's only there, because she's Obama's wife would be made pretty clear. It would be different if she ran for a lower level of office first.
    Did you see the episode of Family guy where Lois just kept repating 9-11 and got appaulesd, then won?

If you ask the average trump basher why they dont like him, all they aill say is hes raciat, sexist etc without a.follow up. The avergae american voter just wants to vote for someine they respect or vote against someone they loathe

For the record im comparing her going up against trump, who knows if she would win against a proper politican.
    #FireCasey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Michelle Obama is a man.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (01-04-2018),Maahfaace (01-05-2018)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    Food on the table and a roof over your head seems reasonable.
    But does that mean that one person with a minimum wage job should be able to support a spouse and two children in downtown Toronto.

Probably looking at $2000/month rent/utilities + $1000/month food + $1000/month other basics - so $48,000/yr minimum wage?

In addition to being brought in too fast, I think they also need to differentiate it by city to some degree. The prices of rent/parking/etc are pretty different between Toronto and Thunder Bay.
    I think it is and should be expected in most households that if two people are together, both would work unless they make enough to where one can choose not to.

Thanks
    Btw how much is an average house in the outskirts of Toronto?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank...wage-1.4469912

So the minimum wage hike is a good thing Franklin?
    Later on in the article, for what it's worth. States that the major banks predict a larger economic bounce back after the job losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Heck no. I'm not too impressed with Garcia. Has been overly wild imo and gotten them to chase some which has helped a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemoon View Post
    Btw how much is an average house in the outskirts of Toronto?
    Newmarkets average housing market is in the high 600 low 700s. Barrie though, you can get a decent sized townhouse for low-mid 200s.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Heck no. I'm not too impressed with Garcia. Has been overly wild imo and gotten them to chase some which has helped a lot.

Thanks
    Well the 200s is not too bad but I'm assuming the transports and traffic to the center must suck.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I think that's kind of nonsense. If you're putting in full time hours at a regular job, you should expect to be able to put food on the table and a roof over your head. That doesn't mean you should be able to afford new cars, computers, vacations, etc though. If you want more, then aim higher.

That said, boosting the minimum wage that much, that fast was idiotic, just like other things Wynne has done. It should have been spread out over 4 or 5 years at least.
    I guess that's what separates conservatives from people like yourself. The way I see it, nobody is owed anything. Just because you have a full time job doesn't mean you should be able to afford your own place and you're able to go out to eat and all that. If you want that, you should have to work towards it. As jayblue said, aim higher than cashing people out.

That starts in school. If that's not for you, there's plenty of good trades from auto work, construction, cooks etc where you don't need a degree and you can make a lot more than guys like me that have more than 1 degree.

And if you're a cashier at Walmart, you can move up the ladder with hard work. Did you know a Walmart manager makes near $125-150k after bonuses and most don't have college degree and worked their way up?

I live in the suburbs and I also know the minimum wage rule hits small business owners pretty hard. Say what you want about the huge corporations but most of these small business owners in areas like mine don't just rake on the bucks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to connorp For This Useful Post:

jaysblue (01-04-2018)

All Star
    Thanks
    You fuck up your life and don't put in the effort into your job.. you don't deserve handouts.
    They can still "live" on their wage but it probably means having a roommate or splitting the bills with your partner

Thanks
    Thanked 4,550 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    Newmarkets average housing market is in the high 600 low 700s. Barrie though, you can get a decent sized townhouse for low-mid 200s.
    Wut?

All Star
    Thanks
    Yeah I forget most people on here are in Toronto so when I say 125-150k like it's a ton of money, it is for suburbs. I think with a masters degree average pay across the US is around 70k. Obviously in big cities that changes along with cost of living

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    The way I see it, nobody is owed anything. Just because you have a full time job doesn't mean you should be able to afford your own place and you're able to go out to eat and all that. If you want that, you should have to work towards it. As jayblue said, aim higher than cashing people out.
    Nowhere did I say people making minimum wage should be able to afford their own place or eat out. In fact, I pretty much directly stated the opposite. I said they should be able to put a roof over their heads and food on the table, and if they want more they need to aim higher. The notion that someone can work full time hours and not make enough to do that though is ridiculous, and all it really means is that government has to step in and subsidize them. There's no reason that should be necessary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    You fuck up your life and don't put in the effort into your job.. you don't deserve handouts.
    They can still "live" on their wage but it probably means having a roommate or splitting the bills with your partner
    I call that surviving not living.