General 2016 Blue Jays discussion thread

For non-gameday, non-threadworthy general Blue Jays 2016 discussion

Go

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,665 Times in 2,478 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Imagine this offense if we had one legit 1st baseman instead of relying on two shitbirds.

Votto2016?
    Fuck Taylor Swift

Thanks
    Thanked 4,463 Times in 2,079 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    Imagine this offense if we had one legit 1st baseman instead of relying on two shitbirds.

Votto2016?

I still believe Smoak can be that guy if given the opportunity to play everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 Times in 3,562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I still believe Smoak can be that guy if given the opportunity to play everyday.
    I think the way they used Smoak last year was pretty much perfect. He had 18 HR in 328 PAs. Compare that to 2013 when he had 20 homeruns in 521 PAs. You get the most out of him when you platoon him and potentially this could be a very productive platoon with the right right-handed bat. The bigger issue is whether or not Cola is really that guy. I think Valencia with his positional versatility would have undoubtedly been better but reportedly he's not a good clubhouse guy and Cola is an exceptional one so we'll just have to accept and respect the decision AA made on that. If Cola doesn't work out, maybe they could call up Pompey and use him against lh while pushing Bautista to DH and Eddie to first. At least Pompey gives you roster flexibility. They could also try Domingez in the Valencia role but I'd rather roll with Cola than him tbh.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I think the way they used Smoak last year was pretty much perfect. He had 18 HR in 328 PAs. Compare that to 2013 when he had 20 homeruns in 521 PAs. You get the most out of him when you platoon him and potentially this could be a very productive platoon with the right right-handed bat. The bigger issue is whether or not Cola is really that guy. I think Valencia with his positional versatility would have undoubtedly been better but reportedly he's not a good clubhouse guy and Cola is an exceptional one so we'll just have to accept and respect the decision AA made on that. If Cola doesn't work out, maybe they could call up Pompey and use him against lh while pushing Bautista to DH and Eddie to first. At least Pompey gives you roster flexibility. They could also try Domingez in the Valencia role but I'd rather roll with Cola than him tbh.
    Even in a platoon role Smoak leaves much to be desired, especially at his price.
    Fuck Taylor Swift

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 962 Posts

Votto2016?
    They're not even shitbirds. They'll provide at least league-average offense, which is fine when we have mashers at several other positions

Thanks
    Even in a platoon role Smoak leaves much to be desired, especially at his price.
    Is there really much to be desired at his price? $4 Million and he provides an above average bat on the good side of the platoon while playing solid defense. Not sure you can ask too much more for $4 Million

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SpeedyGose For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (04-05-2016),Governator (04-05-2016),KingKat (04-05-2016),Rusty_Savage (04-05-2016),Spanky99 (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGose View Post
    Is there really much to be desired at his price? $4 Million and he provides an above average bat on the good side of the platoon while playing solid defense. Not sure you can ask too much more for $4 Million
    I guess technically a wRC+ of 105 vs. RHP is "above average"....but I think it's a little misleading to suggest he's really an above average bat when you consider there are a lot of marginal/fringe LH batters who abuse RHP a lot more. That said and given how this team is constructed - I think he's fine at 1st; however, it would be much more desirable to have a more versatile platoon partner. Valencia was that guy - but he talked about money too much. Cola must have soft gums or something.
    Last edited by Brownie19; 04-05-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,042 Times in 4,377 Posts
    Yeah because he's so expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    STD is on fire tonight.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

KingKat (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 Times in 3,562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Cola must have soft gums or something.
    Cola speaks Spanish, navigates between the tribes so to speak.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

Thanks

Votto2016?
    Their combined numbers were pretty good last year as a platoon, and definitely worth the $ value. Complaining about the wrong thing here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I guess technically a wRC+ of 105 vs. RHP is "above average"....but I don't think it's a little misleading to suggest he's really an above average bat when you consider there are a lot of marginal/fringe LH batters who abuse RHP a lot more. That said and given how this team is constructed - I think he's fine at 1st; however, it would be much more desirable to have a more versatile platoon partner. Valencia was that guy - but he talked about money too much. Cola must have soft gums or something.
    Perhaps, he has been a consistently league average hitter for his career against righties but realistically how many better options are you finding for $4 million?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LGBJ29 View Post
    Their combined numbers were pretty good last year as a platoon, and definitely worth the $ value. Complaining about the wrong thing here
    How's it look when you factor in Cola's regression? That's the issue. I guess the good news is Cola's BABIP vs. LHP last was "only" .362 and his wRC+ was 155. Here's hoping that even with a regression, he'll still be well above average vs. LHP and Gibby will use the platoon properly.

Thanks
    1M viewers in the US for Jays/Rays

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...-4-3-2016.html

Unsurprisingly, the Jays and Rays don't draw in the US. Just means more Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers on Sunday Night Baseball and Monday Night Baseball..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGose View Post
    Perhaps, he has been a consistently league average hitter for his career against righties but realistically how many better options are you finding for $4 million?
    John Jaso. Career wRC+ of 127 vs. RHP. He signed for 2 years $8M....and could have been our leadoff hitter (.380 OBP last year).

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

gruber92 (09-01-2016),intentional wok (04-05-2016)