Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a sports writing website

Thanks

Starting a sports writing website

Hey guys pretty new poster here but often read this site to keep up with my Blue Jays. Me and a friend have a launched a sports website and I would love some pointers on what you think makes a site successful and how you found the sites you regularly go to. We have had some success on a few stories (highest day was like 7000 views) but struggling to keep it consistent. The Kawasaki story probably was the most successful.

Any pointers would be super appreciated or if any writers wanted to help out I am sure we could work something out.

Our site is www.theballpoint.org (sick name right)

PS Im sorry if this against the rules as blog advertising its more about the advice right now than the views (got rid of all ads etc).
    Last edited by 07collian; 09-15-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,426 Times in 7,450 Posts
    Our own blog Breaking Blue was a smashing success, so there should be a lot of people here with the knowledge to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Our own blog Breaking Blue was a smashing success, so there should be a lot of people here with the knowledge to help you out.
    Just checked it out. Looks dope! It's shame it stopped in November, what happen there?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 07collian View Post
    Hey guys pretty new poster here but often read this site to keep up with my Blue Jays. Me and a friend have a launched a sports website and I would love some pointers on what you think makes a site successful and how you found the sites you regularly go to. We have had some success on a few stories (highest day was like 7000 views) but struggling to keep it consistent.

Any pointers would be super appreciated or if any writers wanted to help out I am sure we could work something out.

PS Im sorry if this against the rules as blog advertising its more about the advice right now than the views (got rid of all ads etc).
    If you need writers, I would be interested so let me know. Used to write for the Varsity at UofT.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jaysblue For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    If you need writers, I would be interested so let me know. Used to write for the Varsity at UofT.
    Legend! Shot you a PM

Thanks
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,288 Posts
    I feel like I have to physically restrain myself from unloading on this thread.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016),Dr. Dinger (09-15-2016),Spanky99 (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergun View Post
    I feel like I have to physically restrain myself from unloading on this thread.
    Any advice/unloading is welcomed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,715 Times in 4,226 Posts
    Any advice/unloading is welcomed.
    It's going to be tough to crank out enough good content to draw a consistent readership in such a saturated market. Good luck. But hey, if Bleacher Report can make it, so can you!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    It's going to be tough to crank out enough good content to draw a consistent readership in such a saturated market. Good luck. But hey, if Bleacher Report can make it, so can you!
    Appreciated mate. It's something we made because work is quiet so there isn't too much concern of making money from it or anything. Just thought it would be fun to give a whirl.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,566 Times in 4,783 Posts
    Just checked it out. Looks dope! It's shame it stopped in November, what happen there?
    We were too smart. Every writer went on to bigger and better and busier and paid things.

The lesson is to surround yourself with people of only moderate intelligence. See the King of moderate intelligence at AndrewStoeten.com or whatever URL he uses nowadays.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Pro tip: If you are going to write an article on WAR you should take the time to understand it or don't even bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Governator For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016),Spanky99 (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    Pro tip: If you are going to write an article on WAR you should take the time to understand it or don't even bother.
    I will pass that on to the writer. Thanks mate!

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Hey guys pretty new poster here but often read this site to keep up with my Blue Jays. Me and a friend have a launched a sports website and I would love some pointers on what you think makes a site successful and how you found the sites you regularly go to. We have had some success on a few stories (highest day was like 7000 views) but struggling to keep it consistent.

1. Figure out your target audience and gear the site towards them. Maybe you approach things from an analytics perspective (like Breaking Blue did), or maybe a fantasy sports perspective, etc. Approaching it writing about all sports probably isn't a great idea. It's unlikely you'll be able to generate anywhere close to enough content to keep people coming back if you do, as people's interests will likely be more targeted.
    2. Website appearance is very important. Right now you look like a blog (which is perfectly fine), but depending on your target audience or plans for the site, may not be the design you want.
    3. Be careful with advertising when you add it. Try to make it complement the content as much as possible, rather than be annoying and detracting. I can't stress this enough.
    4. Site loading speed is very important, and could use some improvement.
    5. When you write articles, submit them to places like baseball-reference, fangraphs, and similar sites so they appear on the associated players pages.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016),GD (09-15-2016),NorthOf49 (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    1. Figure out your target audience and gear the site towards them. Maybe you approach things from an analytics perspective (like Breaking Blue did), or maybe a fantasy sports perspective, etc. Approaching it writing about all sports probably isn't a great idea. It's unlikely you'll be able to generate anywhere close to enough content to keep people coming back if you do, as people's interests will likely be more targeted.
    2. Website appearance is very important. Right now you look like a blog (which is perfectly fine), but depending on your target audience or plans for the site, may not be the design you want.
    3. Be careful with advertising when you add it. Try to make it complement the content as much as possible, rather than be annoying and detracting. I can't stress this enough.
    4. Site loading speed is very important, and could use some improvement.
    5. When you write articles, submit them to places like baseball-reference, fangraphs, and similar sites so they appear on the associated players pages.
    Hey man, awesome tips thank you! Right now we are doing a broad range of stories and sees what hits best and then may dedicate the website to that.

We appreciate the time you took, means a lot.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Hey man, awesome tips thank you! Right now we are doing a broad range of stories and sees what hits best and then may dedicate the website to that.

We appreciate the time you took, means a lot.
    Another one might be to start a YouTube channel (you can embed the videos in your articles too) on whatever kind of stories you decide to go with.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

07collian (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Another one might be to start a YouTube channel (you can embed the videos in your articles too) on whatever kind of stories you decide to go with.
    Sound idea, unfortunately we both an aggressively unattractive so a podcast might be a better method.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 07collian For This Useful Post:

BTS (09-15-2016),GD (09-15-2016),jays4life19 (09-15-2016)