9:10 PM ET
Page 11 of 309 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

MVP
    Thanks
    Fowler would be an amazing fit. Even at 20/year. Great obp

All Star
    Thanks
    Fowler would be great but he will be expensive.

Out of the free agent list, Gomez might be the best buy low option.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post

pls no
    Fuck Taylor Swift

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post

Gomez + Upton this this team would make me puke in my mouth far to regularly.

Thanks
    Serious question here.

Is there any research to suggest that certain types of hitters preform better v. high quality pitching? Ie, is there any conclusive evidence to suggest one of these types are more productive v. the best pitchers in baseball:

- low BB% / low K% hitter (Joe Panik, Altuve, D.Murphy)
    - patient power hitters (Jose, Votto, Goldy, etc.)
    - speedy, high BABIP hitters (S.Marte, Segura)
    - guys who do a bit of everything (like Fowler and Yelich - walks, has speed, has power, high BABIP, etc.)
    - high K%, high power (Trumbo)
    - platoons (or having switch hitters)

Obviously I've missed some categories and it's hard to stereotype everyone, but bare with me.

I suspect based on the eye test, most would conclude the patient power hitters and high K%, high power hitters would don't produce well vs. top notch pitching. The general opinion is these guys feast on shitty pitching during the regular season and struggle in the playoffs when they only face "top" pitching. Most would look at KC, SF and even Cleveland and think the low K%, speedy, versatile guys have a better chance vs the best pitching...which has lead to their recent success.

Is there any truth or stats to back this observation up? Do (or should) teams focus on acquiring hitters who are more likely to produce in the playoffs when facing "top" pitchers? Discuss.

MVP
    Thanks
    Why do people want Votto he is owed 200 Mil and is starting on his 30s. Would be disastrous

Thanks
    After trying to get him once, surely they go back in for Jay Bruce to fill the need i.e. left handed bat and an outfielder.

Outfield of Upton/Carrera, Pillar, Bruce, with Pompey as back up for all positions. Not great, but leaves lots of money to spend on the infield, whether that's resign EE or get someone else.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    After trying to get him once, surely they go back in for Jay Bruce to fill the need i.e. left handed bat and an outfielder.

Outfield of Upton/Carrera, Pillar, Bruce, with Pompey as back up for all positions. Not great, but leaves lots of money to spend on the infield, whether that's resign EE or get someone else.
    Jay Bruce is fucking terrible sir. 0.2 WAR combined over the past 3 years and is as bad defensively as Saunders & Jose.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Serious question here.

Is there any research to suggest that certain types of hitters preform better v. high quality pitching? Ie, is there any conclusive evidence to suggest one of these types are more productive v. the best pitchers in baseball:

- guys who do a bit of everything (like Fowler and Yelich - walks, has speed, has power, high BABIP, etc.)

Obviously I've missed some categories and it's hard to stereotype everyone, but bare with me.

I suspect based on the eye test, most would conclude the patient power hitters and high K%, high power hitters would don't produce well vs. top notch pitching. The general opinion is these guys feast on shitty pitching during the regular season and struggle in the playoffs when they only face "top" pitching. Most would look at KC, SF and even Cleveland and think the low K%, speedy, versatile guys have a better chance vs the best pitching...which has lead to their recent success.

Is there any truth or stats to back this observation up? Do (or should) teams focus on acquiring hitters who are more likely to produce in the playoffs when facing "top" pitchers? Discuss.
    If you look at the past world series champions, most teams aren't typically home run hitting teams, and they certainly don't strike out a lot

2015 - Kansas , 30th in strikeouts , 24th in home runs
    2014 - San Fran , 17th in strikeouts , 17th in home runs
    2013 - Boston , Boston 8th in strikeouts , 6th in home runs
    2012 - San Fran , 26th in strikeouts , 30th in home runs
    2011 - St.Louis , 29th in strikeouts , 13th in home runs
    2010 - San Fran , 19th in strikeouts , 11th in home runs
    2009 - Yankees , 27th in strikeouts , 1st in home runs
    2008 - Phillies , 12th in strikeouts , 2nd in homeruns
    2007 - Boston , 21st in strikeouts , 18th in homeruns
    2006 - St.Louis , 25th in strikeouts , 12th in homeruns

Now if you compare that to the Blue Jays

2016 - Blue Jays , 8th in strikeouts , 4th in home runs

You'll notice a pattern among winning teams. They don't usually strike out a lot and don't hit a lot of home runs. Now don't get me wrong, there's an exception to every rule but they're exceptions, not the rule. You can take a chance at slugging to a world series, but its not something that happens often.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,465 Times in 2,080 Posts
    Serious question here.

I don't have stats to back that up but the result is really what happens when you live and die by the long ball. A cold bat, an injury or two and things can collapse quickly.

We mashed Hamels & Darvish with ease... our lack of offense against Cleveland was no different than it has been all season against the plethora of scrub minor league pitchers we faced all year. So I don't think I'd categorize it based on the pitcher's ability but more the fact that we failed to adjust our approach at the plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I'm skipping the first 11 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has been asked.
    Would there be money to sign EE and Reddick/Fowler?
    If that's doable, I'd like that. Platoon Zeke/Upton, and figure out DH as we go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Yes. There's only one Real min.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,381 Posts
    Serious question here.

Honestly I think high power guys are what you would want in the playoffs as Home Runs are what you need to score. Good luck piecing 3 or 4 hits in an inning vs quality pitching.

Cleveland won in large part because of Home Runs (offensively speaking). Their batting average was like .170 but slugged .386.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THANOS View Post
    If you look at the past world series champions, most teams aren't typically home run hitting teams, and they certainly don't strike out a lot

2015 - Kansas , 30th in strikeouts , 24th in home runs
    2014 - San Fran , 17th in strikeouts , 17th in home runs
    2013 - Boston , Boston 8th in strikeouts , 6th in home runs
    2012 - San Fran , 26th in strikeouts , 30th in home runs
    2011 - St.Louis , 29th in strikeouts , 13th in home runs
    2010 - San Fran , 19th in strikeouts , 11th in home runs
    2009 - Yankees , 27th in strikeouts , 1st in home runs
    2008 - Phillies , 12th in strikeouts , 2nd in homeruns
    2007 - Boston , 21st in strikeouts , 18th in homeruns
    2006 - St.Louis , 25th in strikeouts , 12th in homeruns

Now if you compare that to the Blue Jays

2016 - Blue Jays , 8th in strikeouts , 4th in home runs

You'll notice a pattern among winning teams. They don't usually strike out a lot and don't hit a lot of home runs. Now don't get me wrong, there's an exception to every rule but they're exceptions, not the rule. You can take a chance at slugging to a world series, but its not something that happens often.
    It's kind of ironic because our best power bats (EE, JD, Tulo and Jose ) don't strike out as much as your typical power hitter - which should have put us in the driver seat. Unfortunately the likes of Saunders, Martin, Upton, Pillar, Smoak, etc. all strike out way too much (based on what they are).

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Serious question here.

Hi Brownie

I doubt there is any correlation. This year Jays went 1-1 in Kuber starts... 0-3 in Tomlin, bloody Bauer, and shaking rookie starts.

The problem was not elite pitchers. They shit the bed against the mediocre pitchers. I don't know why. Sometimes there is no reason. It's just a crapshoot.

Boston Red Sox had the most balanced team known to man, every type of hitter possilbe

Big old left side experienced walk machine legend hitter
    Young line drive MVP right handed speedy hitter
    Scrappy line drive on base percentage hitter
    Young top rated lefty line drive rookie hitter
    Flaky righty power hitter
    Experienced veteran line drive, old but not to old still sort of speedy right handed hitter
    Young right handed line drive hitter
    Young left handed patient, speedy, but prone to strikeouts hitter
    Switch hitting line drive oddly good season hitter

They had every type of hitter known to man and got swept by Cleveland
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olerud363 For This Useful Post:

BlueRocky (10-20-2016),Brownie19 (10-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,259 Times in 6,752 Posts
    I feel like there might be something to the idea that teams who rely more on walks and mashing mistakes for homers might have less success in cold weather against great pitching staffs who issue few walks and don't make many mistakes. Recent anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that contact teams have fared well in the postseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I don't have stats to back that up but the result is really what happens when you live and die by the long ball. A cold bat, an injury or two and things can collapse quickly.

We mashed Hamels & Darvish with ease... our lack of offense against Cleveland was no different than it has been all season against the plethora of scrub minor league pitchers we faced all year. So I don't think I'd categorize it based on the pitcher's ability but more the fact that we failed to adjust our approach at the plate.
    I think the next step in my discussion is the fact I don't want our guys adjusting their approach (vastly) from what makes them successful. I don't want EE to try and be a punch and judy hitter simply because he struck out a few times. I said this before - if Steph Curry missing 6 straight three point attempts...I don't want him moving down in the post to try and score. It was frustrating as fuck to watch, but I don't want them to vastly change their approach at the plate. Do what you do best.

Instead - should you target player who's approach is typically more successful vs. "top" pitching.

Perhaps this is all a moot point, seeing as we crushed Darvish and Hamels and sucked vs. Tomlin and Merritt. But for the past 2 years it just seems like it's game over once KC and Cleveland got their top 3-4 bullpen guys in the game. I'm sure the answer is you want balance....some from each category. Interesting discussion though.