TEX
    Preview
    10:07 PM ET
Page 200 of 309 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 3,185 to 3,200 of 4929

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin View Post
    Tulo, Martin, Happ, Estrada all on the wrong side of 32, should be a fun year.
    This part is just needless pessimism. All 4 of those guys can and should be counted on for a good year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,278 Posts
    02 tried to delete my existence.
    We have all been there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
    This part is just needless pessimism. All 4 of those guys can and should be counted on for a good year.
    The entire post was needless pessimism. It's December 12th.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
    I think we've already established Tulo and Martin aren't going to come close to previous years success, they're no longer elite assests, just really expensive good players. There's basically no trade equity on the roster, anyone who has some (Stroman, Sanchez, Travis, Osuna, few prospects) would just create holes to fill elsewhere. The only way to add value by trading them is to get multiple older players in return who likely have high salaries (this won't work either with payroll). So that leaves only the free agent market, yay.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,848 Times in 2,608 Posts
    We need some Jays news in the worst way

6. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

Governator (12-12-2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    The entire post was needless pessimism. It's December 12th.
    I wouldn't go that far, it may be December 12th but the Yankees and Redsox have both objectively improved.

I would say almost half the offseason in terms of big moves is complete, maybe more. People are going to be pessimistic because we aren't projected to be much better than .500, and they expected more. We didn't land Fowler, we didn't land some other offseason targets, we haven't improved our corner outfield positions, say what you will about Morales but he definitely is not the hitter Encarnacion is. The Bullpen hasn't improved either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RealAccountant For This Useful Post:

spittin (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I think we've already established Tulo and Martin aren't going to come close to previous years success, they're no longer elite assests, just really expensive good players. There's basically no trade equity on the roster, anyone who has some (Stroman, Sanchez, Travis, Osuna, few prospects) would just create holes to fill elsewhere. The only way to add value by trading them is to get multiple older players in return who likely have high salaries (this won't work either with payroll). So that leaves only the free agent market, yay.
    If Tulo had better batted ball luck last year he's a 4-5 Win player.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,263 Posts
    So we're good with Morales and Smoak being a stop gap for Tellez, Pillar playing all 3 OF positions at once with Pearce and Travis trading time on the DL filling up the 2B slot. Tulo, Martin, Happ, Estrada all on the wrong side of 32, should be a fun year.
    Smoak might get significantly more playing time than we were all hoping for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RealAccountant View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, it may be December 12th but the Yankees and Redsox have both objectively improved.

I would say almost half the offseason in terms of big moves is complete, maybe more. People are going to be pessimistic because we aren't projected to be much better than .500, and they expected more. We didn't land Fowler, we didn't land some other offseason targets, we haven't improved our corner outfield positions, say what you will about Morales but he definitely is not the hitter Encarnacion is. The Bullpen hasn't improved either.
    It's freaking December 12th dang it! There's still many free agents on the market.

And the Yankees are not better.. the Chapman deal was more looking at the long term toward 2019. The team's still far short in the rotation and there are no guarantees on their prospects, and they're only slightly better than the Jays according to Fangraphs, and likely won't contend.

As for the Red Sox.. let's not forget they destroyed a lot of their depth in the Sale/Thornburg trades. If injuries strike, this team will be in serious trouble due to a lack of depth(especially in the middle infield and 3B and possibly OF), not to mention there's questions how much the loss of Ortiz will hurt. Moreland's a huge downgrade. And how long will Sale's elbow hold up?

Edwin and Bautista are still unsigned, and it's possible one of them resigns with Toronto because their market (likely Bautista's) cratered due to a glut of DH/1B types.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Smoak might get significantly more playing time than we were all hoping for.
    200 Strikeouts coming,

Thanks
    02 tried to delete my existence.
    He needs to try harder.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    After that Turner and Jansen contract, EE and Jose are basically the two biggest FA still not signed. It's been a terrible market for free agents unless you're a high-end reliever.

I think we can get Jose for 3/45 with an opt out after the first year according to this market.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    After that Turner and Jansen contract, EE and Jose are basically the two biggest FA still not signed. It's been a terrible market for free agents unless you're a high-end reliever.

I think we can get Jose for 3/45 with an opt out after the first year according to this market.
    Shapiro has gone on record stating he won't give player options, which is good.
    #FireCasey

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post

A lot more interesting will be what Edwin eventually signs for, given we have strong indications of what he was offered at the start of the offseason.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    No news is good news?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I'm not one to panic but this team doesn't look so hot right now and it's tough to see how we dig our way out of it. Free Agency isn't looking good. We need a trade of some sort. Dyson would be a nice get but the Royals are probably looking for big-league talent which I don't think we can afford to give up. I'm not sure what other OFers are available.