Page 200 of 306 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 3,185 to 3,200 of 4887

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

  1. #3185
    Top 100 Prospect KevinGregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 67 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin View Post
    Tulo, Martin, Happ, Estrada all on the wrong side of 32, should be a fun year.
    This part is just needless pessimism. All 4 of those guys can and should be counted on for a good year.

  2. #3186
    MVP Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    In Shambles
    Posts
    11,878
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin View Post
    02 tried to delete my existence.
    We have all been there.

  3. #3187
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    4,024
    Thanks
    1,326
    Thanked 981 Times in 662 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
    This part is just needless pessimism. All 4 of those guys can and should be counted on for a good year.
    The entire post was needless pessimism. It's December 12th.

  4. #3188
    DONOR spittin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 175 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
    This part is just needless pessimism. All 4 of those guys can and should be counted on for a good year.
    I think we've already established Tulo and Martin aren't going to come close to previous years success, they're no longer elite assests, just really expensive good players. There's basically no trade equity on the roster, anyone who has some (Stroman, Sanchez, Travis, Osuna, few prospects) would just create holes to fill elsewhere. The only way to add value by trading them is to get multiple older players in return who likely have high salaries (this won't work either with payroll). So that leaves only the free agent market, yay.

  5. #3189
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,577
    Thanks
    1,656
    Thanked 3,636 Times in 2,460 Posts
    We need some Jays news in the worst way

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

    Governator (12-12-2016)

  7. #3190
    MVP
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,256
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 640 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    The entire post was needless pessimism. It's December 12th.
    I wouldn't go that far, it may be December 12th but the Yankees and Redsox have both objectively improved.

    I would say almost half the offseason in terms of big moves is complete, maybe more. People are going to be pessimistic because we aren't projected to be much better than .500, and they expected more. We didn't land Fowler, we didn't land some other offseason targets, we haven't improved our corner outfield positions, say what you will about Morales but he definitely is not the hitter Encarnacion is. The Bullpen hasn't improved either.
    Goodbye AA.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to RealAccountant For This Useful Post:

    spittin (12-12-2016)

  9. #3191
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,614
    Thanks
    681
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin View Post
    I think we've already established Tulo and Martin aren't going to come close to previous years success, they're no longer elite assests, just really expensive good players. There's basically no trade equity on the roster, anyone who has some (Stroman, Sanchez, Travis, Osuna, few prospects) would just create holes to fill elsewhere. The only way to add value by trading them is to get multiple older players in return who likely have high salaries (this won't work either with payroll). So that leaves only the free agent market, yay.
    If Tulo had better batted ball luck last year he's a 4-5 Win player.

  10. #3192
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    1,617
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin View Post
    So we're good with Morales and Smoak being a stop gap for Tellez, Pillar playing all 3 OF positions at once with Pearce and Travis trading time on the DL filling up the 2B slot. Tulo, Martin, Happ, Estrada all on the wrong side of 32, should be a fun year.
    Smoak might get significantly more playing time than we were all hoping for.

  11. #3193
    MVP jaysfan2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,360
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 369 Times in 297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealAccountant View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, it may be December 12th but the Yankees and Redsox have both objectively improved.

    I would say almost half the offseason in terms of big moves is complete, maybe more. People are going to be pessimistic because we aren't projected to be much better than .500, and they expected more. We didn't land Fowler, we didn't land some other offseason targets, we haven't improved our corner outfield positions, say what you will about Morales but he definitely is not the hitter Encarnacion is. The Bullpen hasn't improved either.
    It's freaking December 12th dang it! There's still many free agents on the market.

    And the Yankees are not better.. the Chapman deal was more looking at the long term toward 2019. The team's still far short in the rotation and there are no guarantees on their prospects, and they're only slightly better than the Jays according to Fangraphs, and likely won't contend.

    As for the Red Sox.. let's not forget they destroyed a lot of their depth in the Sale/Thornburg trades. If injuries strike, this team will be in serious trouble due to a lack of depth(especially in the middle infield and 3B and possibly OF), not to mention there's questions how much the loss of Ortiz will hurt. Moreland's a huge downgrade. And how long will Sale's elbow hold up?

    Edwin and Bautista are still unsigned, and it's possible one of them resigns with Toronto because their market (likely Bautista's) cratered due to a glut of DH/1B types.

  12. #3194
    MVP
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,256
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 640 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Smoak might get significantly more playing time than we were all hoping for.
    200 Strikeouts coming,
    Goodbye AA.

  13. #3195
    All Star JFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,303
    Thanks
    823
    Thanked 343 Times in 271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin View Post
    02 tried to delete my existence.
    He needs to try harder.

  14. #3196
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
    After that Turner and Jansen contract, EE and Jose are basically the two biggest FA still not signed. It's been a terrible market for free agents unless you're a high-end reliever.

    I think we can get Jose for 3/45 with an opt out after the first year according to this market.

  15. #3197
    All Star jays_fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    After that Turner and Jansen contract, EE and Jose are basically the two biggest FA still not signed. It's been a terrible market for free agents unless you're a high-end reliever.

    I think we can get Jose for 3/45 with an opt out after the first year according to this market.
    Shapiro has gone on record stating he won't give player options, which is good.
    #FireCasey

  16. #3198
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,551
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    After that Turner and Jansen contract, EE and Jose are basically the two biggest FA still not signed. It's been a terrible market for free agents unless you're a high-end reliever.

    I think we can get Jose for 3/45 with an opt out after the first year according to this market.
    A lot more interesting will be what Edwin eventually signs for, given we have strong indications of what he was offered at the start of the offseason.

  17. #3199
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,045
    Thanks
    518
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    We need some Jays news in the worst way
    No news is good news?

  18. #3200
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    1,617
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    We need some Jays news in the worst way
    I'm not one to panic but this team doesn't look so hot right now and it's tough to see how we dig our way out of it. Free Agency isn't looking good. We need a trade of some sort. Dyson would be a nice get but the Royals are probably looking for big-league talent which I don't think we can afford to give up. I'm not sure what other OFers are available.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •