• TB 7
    BOS 3
    Final
    1:05 PM ET
  • ATL 2
    HOU 3
    Final
    1:05 PM ET
  • STL 7
    MIA 4
    Final
    1:05 PM ET
  • BAL 8
    PIT 3
    Final
    1:05 PM ET
  • NYY 7
    TOR 2
    Final
    1:05 PM ET
  • MIN 5
    WSH 2
    Final
    1:05 PM ET
  • TOR 3
    PHI 10
    Final
    1:07 PM ET
  • NYM 5
    DET 2
    Final
    1:10 PM ET
  • CHC 1
    CLE 1
    Final
    3:05 PM ET
  • CWS 7
    COL 3
    Final
    3:05 PM ET
  • OAK 3
    LAA 5
    Final
    3:05 PM ET
  • MIL 8
    LAD 10
    Final
    3:05 PM ET
  • CIN 5
    SF 9
    Final
    3:05 PM ET
  • KC 4
    TEX 6
    Final
    3:05 PM ET
  • COL 6
    ARI 1
    Final
    3:10 PM ET
  • SEA 13
    SD 2
    Final
    3:10 PM ET
Page 250 of 306 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300 ... LastLast
Results 3,985 to 4,000 of 4894

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

  1. #3985
    Blue Chip Prospect SAAviour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    999
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked 247 Times in 152 Posts
    AA ended 22 years of baseball purgatory, for that we should all be thankful....no matter how he did it.

  2. #3986
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    10,741
    Thanks
    643
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,933 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    To be just a little more fair, it's easier to analyze this now years later, but at the time Josh Johnson could have been a difference maker for us. Boy was that a disappointment.
    He gave the Jays 4/10's of a win more than I predicted he would. Keep in mind with the Marlins players (and Dickey) projected at about 8 wins it still only brought the Jays up to an 83 or 84 win projection. Even if the best Josh Johnson showed up this was still probably not a team ready for a "difference maker".
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (01-12-2017)

  4. #3987
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    19,116
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked 6,890 Times in 4,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    is steamer even reliable when it comes to players with little track record in the majors? There's probably so much noise in his 2016 numbers
    No, Steamer is absolutely terrible for projecting prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    STD is on fire tonight.

  5. #3988
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    19,116
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked 6,890 Times in 4,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    "a bit"
    It's a bit for Abom. Shoulder injuries are NBD, dawg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    STD is on fire tonight.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  7. #3989
    Moderator Governator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    9,917
    Thanks
    2,660
    Thanked 4,449 Times in 2,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    He gave the Jays 4/10's of a win more than I predicted he would. Keep in mind with the Marlins players (and Dickey) projected at about 8 wins it still only brought the Jays up to an 83 or 84 win projection. Even if the best Josh Johnson showed up this was still probably not a team ready for a "difference maker".
    You predicted JJ would be a replacement player?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

  8. #3990
    All Star jaysblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 962 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    You predicted JJ would be a replacement player?...
    JJ was coming off a 3 win season and it looked like his injuries were behind him after a healthy 2012 season. He posted 5.5 and 5.9 WAR in 2009 and 2010. The guy was a legit NL Cy Young contender during those two seasons. It was a risk that I didn't mind to be honest. If JJ stayed healthy and even matched his 2012 season, and pitching in the AL East, he easily gets a QO from the Jays and signs a big contract as a free agent somewhere, which nets the Jays a draft pick.

    I understand how the Marlins trade really looks bad, though I can't think of anyone in that deal that I miss other than Anthony DeSclafani. And like I said, if JJ was healthy in 2013, trade looks totally different. The trade set things in motions to put the Jays in "win-now" mode and if it wasn't for that trade you probably don't see the Jays making the postseason in 2015 and 2016.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaysblue For This Useful Post:

    Brownie19 (01-12-2017),Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  10. #3991
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,045
    Thanks
    13,273
    Thanked 5,457 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    The trade set things in motions to put the Jays in "win-now" mode and if it wasn't for that trade you probably don't see the Jays making the postseason in 2015 and 2016.
    Going into "win now" mode at that point was dumber than dumb. It backed the Jays into a corner where they still had to add. They don't make the Marlins trade and there's no pressure to make the Dickey trade and neither of those trade did anything to help in 2015 and 2016. Certainly much less than another development year for their young pitchers would have.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

    jays4life19 (01-12-2017),SirBJay (01-12-2017),Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  12. #3992
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 294 Times in 169 Posts
    The biggest problem with the Marlins trade was how much salary we took on. That led to the Dickey trade (his age meant that he'd come cheap for a "Cy Young" pitcher) and later led to the situation wherein we went into a season with Castro/Osuna/Pompey/Norris/Travis ALL being asked to fill major starter roles on a team that was trying to make the playoffs despite all of them being rookies (we had no payroll flexibility to fill all those holes elsewhere).

    I'm not sure what ownership pressure he felt, but AA really flipped the switch from "building" to "going for it" way too early. Yes it got us into the playoffs, but it created a short window with a team that ultimately had too many holes to actually realistically win a championship.

  13. #3993
    Blue Chip Prospect LGBJ29's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,247
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 266 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    The biggest problem with the Marlins trade was how much salary we took on. That led to the Dickey trade (his age meant that he'd come cheap for a "Cy Young" pitcher) and later led to the situation wherein we went into a season with Castro/Osuna/Pompey/Norris/Travis ALL being asked to fill major starter roles on a team that was trying to make the playoffs despite all of them being rookies (we had no payroll flexibility to fill all those holes elsewhere).

    I'm not sure what ownership pressure he felt, but AA really flipped the switch from "building" to "going for it" way too early. Yes it got us into the playoffs, but it created a short window with a team that ultimately had too many holes to actually realistically win a championship.
    Gonna disagree here. I think the 2015 team was the strongest team in the post season. BABIP bad luck killed us in the championship series, but in no way was it a team with too many holes to realistically win a championship

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to LGBJ29 For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  15. #3994
    Blue Chip Prospect Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 174 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LGBJ29 View Post
    Gonna disagree here. I think the 2015 team was the strongest team in the post season. BABIP bad luck killed us in the championship series, but in no way was it a team with too many holes to realistically win a championship
    I agree, and even if people think we weren't, any team in the playoffs can win it all.

    On any random day either team can win, even if it's Cubs vs Reds. It's the long season that weeds out the teams with less talent.

  16. #3995
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,906
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 815 Times in 544 Posts
    Yeah I hate AA with a passion but that 2015 team should have won the World Series. The playoffs in baseball are a crap shoot and the Jays fell victim to the BABIP overlords known as the Royals.

  17. #3996
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,055
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Yeah I hate AA with a passion but that 2015 team should have won the World Series. The playoffs in baseball are a crap shoot and the Jays fell victim to the BABIP overlords known as the Royals.
    Why with a passion?

  18. #3997
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,906
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 815 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Why with a passion?
    Well that was probably too strong. I dislike Alex as a GM but the fan worship the guy has from bandwagon Jays fans turns it into hate for me. The way he built the team in 2013-15 you would think he was as old as Mike Ilitch.

  19. #3998
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 991 Times in 668 Posts
    I find it difficult to judge a GM without understanding all (or most) the circumstances behind his actions. There was a stark change in AA in 2014, which resulted in him building one of the top teams in baseball in the 2015 season. It wasn't built to be sustainable (which I think is something the na´ve casuals don't seem to understand), but jesus, it provided the most entertaining 2 years of baseball I've ever experienced. My son (and likely thousands of kids across Canada) has developed a passion for the game because of the Jays recent success (one I can hope lasts a lifetime).

    To suggest you hate AA with a passion for his efforts here is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

    burlingtonbandit (01-12-2017),MikeM (01-12-2017),Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  21. #3999
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,906
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 815 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I find it difficult to judge a GM without understanding all (or most) the circumstances behind his actions. There was a stark change in AA in 2014, which resulted in him building one of the top teams in baseball in the 2015 season. It wasn't built to be sustainable (which I think is something the na´ve casuals don't seem to understand), but jesus, it provided the most entertaining 2 years of baseball I've ever experienced. My son (and likely thousands of kids across Canada) has developed a passion for the game because of the Jays recent success (one I can hope lasts a lifetime).

    To suggest you hate AA with a passion for his efforts here is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.
    So let's trade more prospects for Votto then, so that kids everywhere (the same ones who will tune out the moment the team gets old and sucks) can have a memory for a year.

  22. #4000
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,906
    Thanks
    239
    Thanked 815 Times in 544 Posts
    Just to be clear, I loved the off-season AA had in 2015 (Donaldson, Travis, Martin, Saunders, etc). I hated 2013-14, and was kind of indifferent to 2010-12 since he was all over the place but at least seemed to have a long-term plan. Where 2015 went to mush was when Stro got hurt and since AA never accumulated any depth it lead to derpy moves left and right until he doubled down mid season.

    I'm sorry, as nice as those two playoff appearances were (one of which he wasn't even around for), I'm not going to look past how he got there. I want a team that wins every year, or at least has a chance to. Not one that makes the playoffs once and then the GM leaves as a hero so he doesn't have to deal with the backloaded aftermath and detonated upper minors that he created/left behind.

    Shapiro coming in saved the org.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

    SirBJay (01-12-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •