OAK
    Preview
    10:07 PM ET
Page 237 of 309 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287 ... LastLast
Results 3,777 to 3,792 of 4929

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Sanchez is apparently a Scott Boras client now.

So, how soon does he get traded? He definitely won't be signing an extension.
    I wasn't aware the current regime had a problem with Boras.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    Nope just the Beest

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    They don't (only Beeston did) but Boras guys very rarely sign extensions. Half joking about him being traded but if the Jays decide to take a step back in the next year or two, then he becomes a logical guy to move.

Blue Chip Prospect Rusty_Savage's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think this FO was going to sign a guy to an extension with 4 years of control left, anyway

All Star
    Thanks

His value likely will never be higher than right now. He's also a real risk for TJS. If he was to be traded for a big haul, fine by me.

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Carrera is 100% making the 25 man if Gibbons has any say in it.

And even if he doesn't, Carrera has shown he can be a 4th outfielder and his salary is low - that's the kind of security this front office seems to covet.

Even though it wouldn't take much for Pompey to be better, his floor is never making it in the majors.
    How do you see Carerra fitting on the roster? If we have a 7 man bullpen and 4 man bench that leaves room for only a 4th outfielder (or if there is a 5th OF Pearce is that guy). And logic would seem to indicate that Upton will be needed as the fourth outfielder as at least one of our corner outfielders will require a platoon partner in Upton.

Only way I see Carerra on the roster is if he is a starter or if Upton is somehow a starter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate View Post
    Only way I see Carerra on the roster is if he is a starter or if Upton is somehow a starter.
    Well both are starters right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,412 Posts

Isn't he with Legacy? Same as Stroman

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Well both are starters right now.
    Completely irrelevant. THere are not games scheduled in January.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate View Post
    Completely irrelevant. THere are not games scheduled in January.
    I'm pretty confident that both won't start. I'm not that confident that we won't see them in a platoon to start the season.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    His value likely will never be higher than right now. He's also a real risk for TJS. If he was to be traded for a big haul, fine by me.
    I'm curious as to why Sanchez would be a risk for elbow problems more than any other pitcher. He has a smooth delivery with good mechanics and throws mostly fastballs, so not a lot of the strain that occurs with the breaking balls. Now Chris Sale, that is a candidate for arm problems. Reminds me of back in the day with Duane Ward: they warned his unorthodox mechanics would lead to problems and sure enough.....

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wk680 View Post
    I'm curious as to why Sanchez would be a risk for elbow problems more than any other pitcher. He has a smooth delivery with good mechanics and throws mostly fastballs, so not a lot of the strain that occurs with the breaking balls. Now Chris Sale, that is a candidate for arm problems. Reminds me of back in the day with Duane Ward: they warned his unorthodox mechanics would lead to problems and sure enough.....
    been discussed a number of times.... jays had him shorten his stride to improve control so he's getting velocity disproportionately from arm action. also the inverted W. had a bit of dead arm in 2015, was shut down for a bit in 2016. some signs are there but never know, he could also pitch for the next 15 years without issue, but it is frankly unlikely. a guy that throws that hard and with those mechanics is almost guaranteed TJS at some point

Thanks
    Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    been discussed a number of times.... jays had him shorten his stride to improve control so he's getting velocity disproportionately from arm action. also the inverted W. had a bit of dead arm in 2015, was shut down for a bit in 2016. some signs are there but never know, he could also pitch for the next 15 years without issue, but it is frankly unlikely. a guy that throws that hard and with those mechanics is almost guaranteed TJS at some point
    oh god @ all of this

"He has a smooth delivery with good mechanics and throws mostly fastballs." Sanchez's delivery is pretty ugly but subjectivity aside, there's nothing conclusive that says throwing breaking balls is more or less likely to cause arm injury. Certain studies have shown correlation between fastball frequency and injury risk, and others simply between throwing hard.

"getting velocity disproportionately from arm action." What? The elbow spiral is key to generating velocity and lower body ground force impact has little to no importance to generating velocity.

Sanchez and other Jays' modelled 2016 workload

http://www.mikesonne.ca/baseball/giv...gue-modelling/
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,298 Times in 3,033 Posts
    Pitching in almost half the Jays games for 6 straight seasons had nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, how much value would we be projected to receive from an Upton/Carerra platoon?

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    "getting velocity disproportionately from arm action." What? The elbow spiral is key to generating velocity and lower body ground force impact has little to no importance to generating velocity.
    A decrease in stride length is associated with a decrease in velocity, due to lower trunk rotation. But in Sanchez' case, there has been no apparent decrease. Does this mean he is throwing harder to maintain velocity or is he a freak of nature. Most likely the former.