• LAD
    WSH
    Preview
    9:10 PM ET
Page 236 of 308 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,776 of 4925

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

Thanks
    Note - the above is what I think the front office will do.

I'd want to give Pompey a chance to win a job in spring training.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,104 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/salva...e-jays-winter/

Dave Cameron just wrote a piece today on the Jays.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/salva...e-jays-winter/

Dave Cameron just wrote a piece today on the Jays.
    Not a bad take. Seems like a weird position to be in though, there is one good FA left in Bautista and this team has a lot riding on how that plays out.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,017 Times in 3,844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Not a bad take. Seems like a weird position to be in though, there is one good FA left in Bautista and this team has a lot riding on how that plays out.
    There's no way the Jays wanted to be in this position. They like to have contingencies in place. When EE turned them down, they locked up Morales and made a push for Fowler. They must have felt that had a real shot at Fowler and this is was better to go hard after him than hope EE came back to them. A reasonable decision to make at the time since it does seem like they got real close with Fowler and Morales is decent but off-seasons are tricky. Last year everything fell into place pretty easily. They got the pitchers they needed early and the rest of the offseason was mostly just lateral moves. This year they kind of got caught with their dick in their hands. That happens. Bautista would help salvage things but it's hardly a foregone conclusion. I doubt that they are going to make a 25 million offer like Cameron says. I think Bautista takes that in a heartbeat now. More likely the Jays are trying to reach a compromise at a lower cost. Another team could still shark its way into the picture and leave the Jays scrambling again.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (01-03-2017),Spanky99 (01-03-2017),Terminator (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    There's no way the Jays wanted to be in this position. They like to have contingencies in place. When EE turned them down, they made a push for Fowler instead. They must have felt that had a real shot and this is was better to go hard after him than hope EE came back to them. A reasonable decision to make at the time since it does seem like they go real close with Fowler but off-seasons are tricky. Last year everything fell into place pretty easily. They got the pitchers they needed early and the rest of the offseason was mostly just lateral moves. This year they kind of got caught with their dick in their hands. That happens. Bautista would help salvage things but it's hardly a foregone conclusion. I doubt that they are going to make a 25 million offer like Cameron says. I think Bautista takes that in a heartbeat now. More likely the Jays are trying to reach a compromise at a lower cost. Another team could still shark its way into the picture and leave the Jays scrambling again.
    Yeah I agree, the offseason hasn't been ideal at all and I've been saying that for a while. It's now January and Upton, Smoak, and Zeke are slated for major playing time. That's not good. This team was a clear WC contender heading in to the offseason but we've kind of whiffed so far this offseason so now I'm not sure. Like you said, things can not work out the way you hope as I agree with you on the whole Fowler/EE thing. Just unfortunate how that worked out.

Cameron's take is that if we sign Bautista to a one year deal then the offseason won't be so bad. It wouldn't be horrible but my point was that's an awful lot riding on what remains the best FA left. Someone could decide that they aren't finding any trades and they make Bautista a competitive two year deal and we lose him.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

intentional wok (01-03-2017),KingKat (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Can someone explain the difference between "Pitch Type" and "Pitch f/x Pitch Type" on fangraphs? I assume it's just 2 different ways of recording the pitch type? I was just looking in on Jerry Blevins again (as I as going to point how a sign Jose & Blevins + trade for Dyson would be a nice way to finish the offseason) and I see under "Pitch Type" it says he only throws a fastball, curveball and change - but under "Pitch f/x Pitch Type" it suggests he throws a slider 10% of the time.

I see the slider velocity is only a couple MPH lower than his fastball - is it just getting grouped in with his fastball on "Pitch Type"?
    Last edited by Brownie19; 01-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    I can see someone offering 2 years or more for JB so the Jays will loose out again. And realistically he can hold out till some DH ends on the DL this spring. JB expectations are bigger than a one year deal. In reality a one year deal is only of benefit to the Jays.......

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 744 Posts
    They might sign Jose to a deal for the QO, or maybe something like 2/35, but $20-25mm for one year? No way that happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    They might sign Jose to a deal for the QO, or maybe something like 2/35, but $20-25mm for one year? No way that happens.
    This off season has been really tough for a few reasons. What do they value the pick they would get for Jose at? 8-10mm? Got to be a big factor with this FO in the negotiation. But the way things have worked out with Fowler and Edwin Id love to see Jose's bat back here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigCecil For This Useful Post:

THANOS (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Can someone explain the difference between "Pitch Type" and "Pitch f/x Pitch Type" on fangraphs? I assume it's just 2 different ways of recording the pitch type? I was just looking in on Jerry Blevins again (as I as going to point how a sign Jose & Blevins + trade for Dyson would be a nice way to finish the offseason) and I see under "Pitch Type" it says he only throws a fastball, curveball and change - but under "Pitch f/x Pitch Type" it suggests he throws a slider 10% of the time.

I see the slider velocity is only a couple MPH lower than his fastball - is it just getting grouped in with his fastball on "Pitch Type"?
    "FanGraphs has Pitch Values based on Baseball Info Solutions pitch type data and PITCHf/x pitch type data. The calculations are the same, but they draw on different pitch classification protocols."

Essentially, they are two different systems, hence some of the discrepancies in the data. I've always looked at both to try to get the best possible feel for each player's pitch value.

It's not uncommon for some pitches to get incorrectly classified for a multitude of different reasons, so, despite its usefulness and value, it's probably best not to take this data as gospel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    This off season has been really tough for a few reasons. What do they value the pick they would get for Jose at? 8-10mm? Got to be a big factor with this FO in the negotiation. But the way things have worked out with Fowler and Edwin Id love to see Jose's bat back here.
    I agree. I would also suggest that a qualitative value should be placed on the knowledge and tips he likely provides to the other hitters in the dugout. I know Josh Donaldson has commented on this before. The walk rate spike this past season "could" have been some evidence of that, along Donaldson just being super fucking good and improving on his own.

All Star
    Thanks
    Sanchez is apparently a Scott Boras client now.

So, how soon does he get traded? He definitely won't be signing an extension.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Sanchez is apparently a Scott Boras client now.

So, how soon does he get traded? He definitely won't be signing an extension.
    I wasn't aware the current regime had a problem with Boras.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    Nope just the Beest

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    They don't (only Beeston did) but Boras guys very rarely sign extensions. Half joking about him being traded but if the Jays decide to take a step back in the next year or two, then he becomes a logical guy to move.

Blue Chip Prospect Rusty_Savage's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think this FO was going to sign a guy to an extension with 4 years of control left, anyway